Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:20:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Integrity in politics  (Read 6733 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: Integrity in politics
« Reply #30 on April 03, 2020, 09:09:34 pm by wilts rover »
Some people on this forum are going to get a horrible shock in June when Johnson has to decide whether or not to ask the EU for a Brexit extension.

Integrity in politics, you ain't seen nuthin yet...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 03, 2020, 09:14:13 pm by drfchound »
I would imagine that Brexit is way down on the list of government priorities right now and probably not even in the thoughts of most normal people.
Who really cares whether a Brexit extension will be requested.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 03, 2020, 09:14:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
And there you go again.

You have entered this discussion certain that I am engaging in party politics.

I am not.

I'm pointing out the very different approaches of the opposition parties in the last two major crises. That is a statement of fact and nothing to do with party politics.

For the record, I have spoken very positively of Rishi Sunak's actions to date. It is very good to see consensus on this vital issue. I am comparing that to the risible party political action of Cameron and Osborne a decade ago.

You have chosen to wade in with the assumption that I was dicking about.

There is the problem in a nutshell. If you assume bad faith from the start, you will see it everywhere.

And if you insist on clinging to Brexit as your touchstone, you will be blind to politicians genuinely acting in the national interest.
And you're saying I refuse to move on!

I hope you realise that you brought up Brexit before me in this thread. I merely responded to it.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 03, 2020, 09:17:29 pm by scawsby steve »
Don't rise to the bait BST.

You know that SS and BB would tell you that day was night and black was white.

They are to this forum what Waldorf and Statler are to the Muppets.

You mean we're Johnny Opposites? So Brexit didn't win in 2016, and Labour didn't get dicked last December?

Yeah, OK.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 03, 2020, 09:20:49 pm by selby »
  BigH, like Long Bailey and Starmer you mean? Not bloody likely

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 03, 2020, 09:22:04 pm by IDM »
I would imagine that Brexit is way down on the list of government priorities right now and probably not even in the thoughts of most normal people.

Everyone should care.

Yes brexit isn’t a priority now and quite rightly so.

But when this pandemic is properly under control, then brexit negotiations can continue.

It’s in everyone’s best interests to extend the brexit schedule by the amount of time lost, to enable the same level of negotiations to happen.

That’s not about “politicking” about brexit in any way shape or form, just common sense.!!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 03, 2020, 09:26:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Will you stop clinging on to Brexit? Brexit is done!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 03, 2020, 09:27:48 pm by scawsby steve »
There is something truly depressing about this BigH.

It's the refusal to move on.

BB has been lecturing us for years about the importance of the country pulling together.

But in the depths of a crisis that utterly overwhelms Brexit, it's clear that that was so much piss and wind. They don't WANT to let go of Brexit. They want to use that as the touchstone.

Very, very depressing.
It is, but I'm guessing that they're guys of a certain age and a certain disposition who get a weird kick out of doing what they do.

Their problem not yours.

Back to the OP. I do believe that integrity in politics will make a come back because I think that's where electoral opinion is moving to. We've suffered the bullshitters, the chancers and the thickos. The entitled public school boys and their hedge fund mates.

Time to get back to the thinkers, the visionaries and the leaders. Those who speak for the values that most of us aspire to.

You're right, we are guys of a certain age, and when we were younger we were left wing visionaries, just like you; and then something happened.

We grew up. I suggest you do the same.

Oh, and welcome to BST's band of political losers.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 03, 2020, 09:30:20 pm by drfchound »

Everyone should care.

But when this pandemic is properly under control, then brexit negotiations can continue.

It’s in everyone’s best interests to extend the brexit schedule by the amount of time lost, to enable the same level of negotiations to happen.

That’s not about “politicking” about brexit in any way shape or form, just common sense.!!

I totally agree IDM.......and that is why I posted what I did when Wilts brought it up........and don’t tell me that his words weren’t an attack on Johnson.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 03, 2020, 09:33:35 pm by IDM »
Will you stop clinging on to Brexit? Brexit is done!

Do you mean me.?

I’m not clinging onto brexit, just answering hound’s point.

I’m not making any anti-brexit point at all.  Yes, it’s happening whether we like it or not, but to make it happen we need to make it happen PROPERLY and that means allowing enough time to negotiate.

It would be really bad form if our government does not extend the negotiators and results in a bad brexit deal simply due to pig headedness..

Yes, brexit is mandated to happen but why not apply common sense.?

Do you not agree that makes sense.?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 03, 2020, 09:36:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
That's exactly what I was doing earlier in the thread, but I was accused of clinging on to Brexit when I shouldn't be because Brexit was done.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 03, 2020, 09:37:33 pm by IDM »

Everyone should care.

I totally agree IDM.......and that is why I posted what I did when Wilts brought it up........and don’t tell me that his words weren’t an attack on Johnson.

If Johnson hides behind Coronavirus as a means to rush through a bad deal on brexit then he deserves the criticism he will get.

If negotiations are delayed by say 3 months, then extend by 3 months.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 03, 2020, 09:40:40 pm by drfchound »

Everyone should care.

If Johnson hides behind Coronavirus as a means to rush through a bad deal on brexit then he deserves the criticism he will get.

If negotiations are delayed by say 3 months, then extend by 3 months.

Again.....agreed.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 03, 2020, 09:40:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No matter what Boris does he will be crucified by certain parts of the media including this forum.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 03, 2020, 09:43:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

You can read. I was not the one who brought up Brexit.

You have ONLY talked about Brexit.

You have demonstrated your inability to divorce your opinion about people from their Brexit stance

And YOU are the one who has told us for years that we need to pull together and move on.

Here's your chance to show you mean that.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 03, 2020, 09:44:44 pm by BigH »
  BigH, like Long Bailey and Starmer you mean? Not bloody likely
Nope.

Read my threads and you'll know what I think about Long Bailey.

Starmer's alright.

Now what's your poison? I think we know.

All I'll say Selby is I hope you stay indoors as long as this lot are running the show. Because you're f**ked otherwise.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 03, 2020, 09:48:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Big H, do you mean we'd have been able to go out if Jezza was in charge?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 03, 2020, 09:49:20 pm by BigH »
Que?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 03, 2020, 09:52:22 pm by BigH »
Actually, BB, serious question.

Do you think the government are in control of events?

Yes or no.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on April 03, 2020, 09:55:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »

[/quote]
BB

You can read. I was not the one who brought up Brexit.

You have ONLY talked about Brexit.

You have demonstrated your inability to divorce your opinion about people from their Brexit stance

And YOU are the one who has told us for years that we need to pull together and move on.

Here's your chance to show you mean that.

BST, I answered your post regarding Brexit. Then you accused me of clinging on to Brexit when I shouldn't be because Brexit was done.

This thread is about integrity in politics which meant it was obviously going to lead to Brexit, due to your party's complete lack of integrity in its handling of it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on April 03, 2020, 09:59:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Que?

You said "I hope you stay indoors as long as this lot are running the show. Because you're f**ked otherwise."

Do you mean we'd have been able to go out if Jezza was in charge?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on April 03, 2020, 10:03:13 pm by BigH »
Que?

You said "I hope you stay indoors as long as this lot are running the show. Because you're f**ked otherwise."

Do you mean we'd have been able to go out if Jezza was in charge?
No

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 03, 2020, 10:04:22 pm by BigH »

Yes or no.
You going to answer my question?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 03, 2020, 10:05:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This thread is about integrity in politics which meant it was obviously going to lead to Brexit, due to your party's complete lack of integrity in its handling of it.

You can't help yourself can you?

I've pointed out at the very start of this thread that there is a very principled refusal to play the economic catastrophe we are in for political advantage. Because this is a national emergency and that transcends party politics.

You ignore that.

You make it all about Brexit

It is deeply sad, how screwed up that subject has made people's priorities.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 03, 2020, 10:05:18 pm by selby »
BigH, at 73 youngsters like you make me feel fantastic mentally and physically buddy, don't forget it is the youngsters that make the headlines.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on April 03, 2020, 10:07:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Yes or no.

How can I answer that in one word? I bet you can though!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 03, 2020, 10:09:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »

You can't help yourself can you?

I've pointed out at the very start of this thread that there is a very principled refusal to play the economic catastrophe we are in for political advantage. Because this is a national emergency and that transcends party politics.

You ignore that.

You make it all about Brexit

It is deeply sad, how screwed up that subject has made people's priorities.

Absolute rubbish.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on April 03, 2020, 10:10:41 pm by BigH »

Yes or no.

Ah.

So you're answering a question with a question. Crafty!

You go first. As many words as you like.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 03, 2020, 10:13:08 pm by rtid88 »
The way I see it and I genuinely couldn't give a monkeys about Brexit anymore, that's been and gone, whether I agreed with it or not.....however the only thing we currently need to worry about is Covid-19 and the reason it looks like the situation is escalating so badly in the UK is 2 fold......

1) The government who ever that is whether it be Boris, Cummings, Hancock, the scientists that have been advising have not acted quickly enough, testing hasn't been done quickly enough, machines have not been built quickly enough and lock down (or whatever we are calling it) has not been done quickly enough.... All of these things should have been put into action when it was obvious how big an issue this disease was going to be 2+ months ago...

2) the NHS and local authorities have been horrifically underfunded for 10 years and the country is simply not in a position where it could handle this kind of pandemic. The hospitals don't have the money, capacity, equipment to deal with it..... Teams in the community are not there to be able to undertake the testing needed....

Whether this would have happened under a Labour government who knows and quite frankly who cares.... We're in this sh1t now and now is not the time for this pathetic, petty argument on this football forum... Now is a time when we should all be joining forces and trying to deal with this as a country, as a planet and should be a wake up call to all that we are lied to constantly by ALL politicians, and at some point we need to start standing up to this crap!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 03, 2020, 10:20:16 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Yes or no.

Ah.

So you're answering a question with a question. Crafty!

You go first. As many words as you like.

Gee thanks. I think the government is doing its best. There have been mistakes along the way, in hindsight, but unfortunately, hindsight is a gift that only certain spectators possess. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012