Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 03:03:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL season over  (Read 58307 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: EFL season over
« Reply #210 on May 17, 2020, 10:31:23 pm by IDM »
Not sure on the timescale for a pitch to be ready but I’ve seen that Bristol rovers have starting digging the pitch up ready for a new one. Do they know something we don’t?

I guess they probably scheduled to do that now anyway.?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on May 17, 2020, 10:36:18 pm by drfchound »
Not sure on the timescale for a pitch to be ready but I’ve seen that Bristol rovers have starting digging the pitch up ready for a new one. Do they know something we don’t?

Aren’t Lincoln and Tranmere doing something similar too.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #212 on May 17, 2020, 10:38:12 pm by selby »
  The last I heard they had not paid us the money owed for the cancelled game awarded to us by the hearing claiming it was nothing to do with the new owners the old ones owed the debt.
  If that is so they should never have been admitted to the league as a new club they should be at the same level as Bury.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #213 on May 17, 2020, 10:47:07 pm by IDM »
What are you on about.?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #214 on May 17, 2020, 11:40:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
ND.

I'm not wanting to have an argument for the sake of having an argument.

I'm saying I don't find your case particularly convincing, when you say X can't happened because it's unprecedented, then say Y (which is unprecedented) must happen.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #215 on May 18, 2020, 11:32:28 am by Frankie Rennie »
Difference with us and Bolton is that we live within our means , our owners are local ,not in it for the money

Dray, our new owners are both local with the main one a Wanderers fan since childhood. Their intention is to live within their means but since most teams spend more than they earn its down to owners to also subsidise. I’m afraid that’s life these days and hopefully if anything good can come out of this horrible virus let’s hope it’s a common sense approach to football finances and split of money within the game.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on May 18, 2020, 11:43:59 am by Frankie Rennie »
FR, if you don't strengthen you will be a poor side in division 2, and you need to clear your debts from this season.

We will strengthen selby but with only 6 current players under contract after June we can wait to see what happens and recruit then. In the meantime we won’t be saddled with player costs and the way things are going there will be a good many players out of work so plenty to choose from. Financially we are in a better position than most in the EFL with serious investors behind the scenes. As property developers and owning both the stadium, hotel and land around the ground there are already plans along those lines so unlike most clubs we aren’t reliant on just football revenue. We’ve been through the mill just like you did with a rogue owner and you’ve come out of it well and I fully expect Wanderers to as well now.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on May 18, 2020, 11:51:41 am by NickDRFC »
Draytonian, irrespective of how Bolton are run it’s not really right to say that we live within our means. We live within the boundaries of what our owners are willing to subsidise - we still lose a couple of million a year and are reliant on them to cover that shortfall.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #218 on May 18, 2020, 03:01:48 pm by Draytonian III »
Living within our means and owners boundaries is the same thing, everyone knows the majority of football clubs run at a loss, the owners subsidies the club, but they do it at their discretion. Unlike the likes of Bolton who threw money at something that was never going to work, remember the F.A.Cup game a few years back when had Anleka on the bench. The only times when Bolton ground was sold out was for the visits of the Manchester teams or Liverpool.
Cast your mind back to some of the other players they signed on mega money, fees and wages

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #219 on May 18, 2020, 05:46:23 pm by roversdude »
Living within our means and owners boundaries is the same thing, everyone knows the majority of football clubs run at a loss, the owners subsidies the club, but they do it at their discretion. Unlike the likes of Bolton who threw money at something that was never going to work, remember the F.A.Cup game a few years back when had Anleka on the bench. The only times when Bolton ground was sold out was for the visits of the Manchester teams or Liverpool.
Cast your mind back to some of the other players they signed on mega money, fees and wages

But weren’t most of those paid in cash money inside brown paper bags

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #220 on May 18, 2020, 06:00:32 pm by Draytonian III »
Also I still find it strange that if Bury and Bolton had been in different settings Bolton would have been saved, ex Premier League etc

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #221 on May 18, 2020, 06:45:01 pm by roversdude »
Wasn’t there an announcement due today re League One

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on May 18, 2020, 06:52:58 pm by drfchound »

Well, according to last Fridays announcement the L1 clubs were due to meet again today.
It would appear that no agreement was reached otherwise it would have been all over the sports websites.
It could go on and on.
Classic EFL

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on May 18, 2020, 07:03:18 pm by drfchound »
I think it should be PPG , but and it’s a very big but if they do have a play off system put in who do want to go up ?
Oxford or Wycombe (depending on PPG ) ?
Fleetwood - d**khead manager ?
Peterborough - d**khead chairman ?
Sunderland - d**kheads living in the past ?
Ipswich - as above ?
Pompey - d**khead with a bell ?

Thinking back to the league table, Wycombe could have a case for saying that Rotherham would be lucky to get the second auto promo slot allocated to them because if Wycombe had won their game in hand they would have also been on 62 points with Rotherham.
With nine games to go that could have gone either way.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #224 on May 18, 2020, 07:17:08 pm by silent majority »

Well, according to last Fridays announcement the L1 clubs were due to meet again today.
It would appear that no agreement was reached otherwise it would have been all over the sports websites.
It could go on and on.
Classic EFL

Meeting didn't happen today.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on May 18, 2020, 07:30:57 pm by drfchound »
Why was that SM.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #226 on May 18, 2020, 07:53:21 pm by silent majority »
Why was that SM.

I don't think they could get the proposals ready in time.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #227 on May 18, 2020, 08:21:18 pm by Alan Southstand »
According to Liam Hoden, they will wait after the EFL meeting on Wednesday, at which there may be several options which the Clubs can vote on, come Friday. Null and voiding this season will not be an option, either.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #228 on May 18, 2020, 09:33:32 pm by selby »
  On talksport 2  tonight they had a 1 hour discussion about the EFL and the Peterborough chairman in particular.
   The consensus was that there is no set rules other than if a vote is taken, because there is no prior rules covering this particular situation, as long as the vote is taken in the correct manner any disagreement with the decision would have very little legal credence, and although the bigger clubs have a number behind them if they are out voted to void the season it would hold legally with a majority.
  The cost of completing the games in empty stadiums is  the sticking point, Sky and BT have made it plain today they want a massive repayment from the Premiership and the EFL, I expect it to now get dirty. Hopefully someone will realise they can save a big chunk stopping parachute payments, I have no doubt the big six will because it is one thing that is unlikely to concern them.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on May 19, 2020, 08:32:09 am by German Rover »
So does this mean Bolton escape punishment once again?

Don't worry about them. If they don't get relegated, bully for them, but ultimately it doesn't matter.

What matters is having football to watch after all this is over.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #230 on May 19, 2020, 09:04:32 pm by karldew »
Darragh MacAnthony tweet:

So much vitriol on here from one set of fans over last few days. Irony is they have no need to be aiming it this way. In time they will realize that. Just a few transparent points to clarify as facts are better than fiction or speculation In the @EFL meeting last week there was no talk of a vote that day, there was no raised voices, nobody laying the law down. Just all clubs having their voices heard regardless of sizes. Talks about current season & future season & issues we all face financially. The appetite for most in tophalf was to play our season out.Majority of other half had no desire to play due to finances which is understandable in current pandemic from their point of view.Ideas were thrown around on how top half can play games to decide fair way to finish Which allowed the clubs not wanting to play to get on with not stressing over contract extensions or financial side of starting up again. EFL Chairman said let's all think about it and come up creative ideas to finish the season. For the top half the financial implications of not playing again in some way versus cost of playing was large with potential refunds on so many things hence importance of hearing both sides of our league and its clubs. I am ok being portrayed as some sort of lone wolf villain but truth is there are more clubs then just me who feel football needs to return for them &everybody involved of course have looked at all options including legal ones as they are large businesses with shareholders & Financial Responsibilities that make it the right and prudent thing to do.There is no one size fits all solution that suits all clubs but compromises could/should be found.We are all 'football' clubs & our product is football & with potential greenlight by Government coming For Football returning Many clubs wanted to get back to playing football in any situation that allows it/in safe professionally advised way.None of this is holding up other clubs planning for future even if Hibernation is their plan. Even if our season finished 2weeks ago There is no set date for new season/details on immediate horizon due to whats going on in the world so this idea of clubs wanting to get on with 'planning' is just not true or feasible. For weeks I have advocated for football to resume when safe to do so but also I have Engaged with EFL directly about ideas on how to raise the funds necessary to help all football clubs through this crisis as after 15 years in the EFL; I don't want to see anymore clubs go under. This is still my main goal regardless of some of the nonsense levied at me Furloughs wont last forever/Football with/without fans will happen as shown in other Countries.Hibernation imo wont be an option for clubs contracted to play football with TV deals in place/contracts with players in place. Our club employs a large number of non footballing staff who are in £18k-£35k per year bracket. One of goals of me/partners is to ensure when furlough ends that we don't lose any of these people because of this crisis. I am a football fan like majority of people on here. If some club fans/forums want to make me out to be the bad guy then have at it but I am football person with a love for our game & worry that without playing football when allowed; then what do we have left? I am thick skinned to take the criticism if fair/balanced or if The views are different from mine. But to accuse me of being greedy is another irony considering in 15 years in football I have not made a pound note from our beautiful game. Some wont admit it; but truth is that you would want me fighting your corner in a crisis & my 'Football' club & its employees have told me to fight for their jobs long term. I will always do that regardless of criticism/public perception. For now I have said my piece & will get on with fighting for 'football' long term. This horrible Virus will be defeated, normality will come back & our beautiful game will be back. Our EFL will find a way to help us through the hard period financially & I long for the days or getting trolled for football results & opinions on transfers. Love to you all 💙

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #231 on May 19, 2020, 09:26:41 pm by ravenrover »
Wonder where all the transfer monies went to?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #232 on May 19, 2020, 09:36:49 pm by IDM »
This the same bloke who, as chairman of a professional league club, openly called a professional footballer from another club a “w**ker” in the public domain, and received no sanction from the football authorities.?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #233 on May 20, 2020, 01:14:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
What happened to the 140 character rule?

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on May 20, 2020, 06:09:32 am by karldew »
What happened to the 140 character rule?

It was over 16 posts.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #235 on May 20, 2020, 08:30:54 am by bedale rover »
So is there a meeting today of the league 1 clubs?
Will there be a vote?
Will it be decisive enough?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #236 on May 20, 2020, 09:07:49 am by IDM »
Sounds like the commentary in an episode of “Hong Kong Phoey” there Bedale.!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #237 on May 20, 2020, 10:24:32 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I saw an article suggesting each clubs views with a quite even split between those wishing to carry on and those wishing to end with about 3 clubs reportedly 'sat on the fence' of which we were one. And Southend wanting null and void.

How accurate the report was is anyone's guess. With EPL starting training and with the infection rate continuing to drop, I wonder whether we might look back and regret not finishing the season in one way or another, if the vote goes to end it now.

Of course health and safety is paramount however if this proposal from MacAnthony is robust enough and limits the number of games then at least there could be some closure to 19/20 for all involved.

That said, one or two bigger clubs are going to lose out big time and I hope they are prepared for that.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #238 on May 20, 2020, 10:50:35 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/do-they-know-what-they-are-getting-themselves-question-foresight-battle-promotion-championship-liam-hoden-column-2858754

Summed up quite well by Hoden.

I think we've covered this before but I'd be willing to defer my St refund for another day if it helps. Having not purchased for next season until knowing more about how things progress, I might not be putting into the club right now but I certainly don't want to be taking money out.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #239 on May 20, 2020, 12:25:45 pm by silent majority »
So is there a meeting today of the league 1 clubs?
Will there be a vote?
Will it be decisive enough?

There's a meeting of the EFL Board today, the clubs are scheduled for Friday.

After the meeting they should have some proposals for the clubs to enable a vote to take place. Last weeks meeting didn't have a vote because no proposals had been tabled, it was purely a discussion about positions and possible solutions.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:31:43 pm by silent majority »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012