Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 08:40:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL season over  (Read 58333 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: EFL season over
« Reply #240 on May 20, 2020, 12:34:41 pm by Filo »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/do-they-know-what-they-are-getting-themselves-question-foresight-battle-promotion-championship-liam-hoden-column-2858754

Summed up quite well by Hoden.

I think we've covered this before but I'd be willing to defer my St refund for another day if it helps. Having not purchased for next season until knowing more about how things progress, I might not be putting into the club right now but I certainly don't want to be taking money out.

I don’t want a refund, there were only three hime games left anyway, as for next season, mines already bought and paid for in full, I’m not too fussed about that either

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #241 on May 20, 2020, 12:40:42 pm by Pancho Regan »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/do-they-know-what-they-are-getting-themselves-question-foresight-battle-promotion-championship-liam-hoden-column-2858754

Summed up quite well by Hoden.

I think we've covered this before but I'd be willing to defer my St refund for another day if it helps. Having not purchased for next season until knowing more about how things progress, I might not be putting into the club right now but I certainly don't want to be taking money out.

I don’t want a refund, there were only three hime games left anyway, as for next season, mines already bought and paid for in full, I’m not too fussed about that either

Agree 100% Filo.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #242 on May 20, 2020, 02:00:40 pm by selby »
Same here Filo, very few things in life have given me as much pleasure (and I suppose heart ache) as supporting the Rovers, it is my turn to give a bit back.
  Fortunately I am in a position to do so, and appreciate others may not be and other things are more important, I wish them well and hope to see them in better times as I am sure we all do.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #243 on May 20, 2020, 02:26:00 pm by Draytonian III »
I’ve paid for mine as well for season and I trust the club will sort something out about missed games or playing behind closed doors, I always feel a sense of pride when I tell people that I’m a season ticket holder at Doncaster Rovers

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #244 on May 20, 2020, 02:40:31 pm by Jimmydee »
I suppose that the fp article has humbled me too. I’ve paid for next seasons ticket too, I’m not fussed about a refund but please don’t tell my Mrs.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #245 on May 20, 2020, 03:28:07 pm by silent majority »
I understand the discussions are far reaching, covering salary caps, restrictions on squad numbers and a number has to be from the clubs academy. Admittedly mentioned on this forum before, then it was a bit of a wish list, but now appears to be reality.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #246 on May 20, 2020, 05:43:42 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I’ve bought next season’s ticket also not bothered about a refund if it allows the club to survive until we can once again attend

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #247 on May 20, 2020, 06:56:16 pm by roversdude »
I’ve purchased mine for next season too, I think the only thing I’d look for a refund will be Rotherham tickets ( I know Rovers get a bit of this but I’ve no desire to help Rotherham memories last long)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on May 20, 2020, 09:51:36 pm by drfchound »
I have just seen on the bbc sport website that Adrian Mariappa of Watford has tested positive for the virus.
He says he feels well and wouldn’t have known he had the virus had he not gone back to training and been tested.
Troy Deeney has now said that he won’t be going back to training as he has a five month old child with breathing difficulties and TD is worried that he might take the virus home.
Under the rules players and staff who test positive have to self isolate for seven days.
Apparently there is a movement to allow contract training to restart and the EPL were looking to resume matches by 12th June.
Whether they do restart by then or not there is the constant likely hood that players will test positive and so would then have to miss matches or that more players such as Deeney, would refuse to play.
There could be situations where teams might be missing four or five key players.
Would results of games in those circumstances be within the sporting integrity that we keep hearing about.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on May 20, 2020, 11:36:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
The good thing to come out of it is that Mariappa is a football player and has been tested. If he was you or me with no signs or asymptomatic we wouldn’t be tested hence we could past it on to others. So we can test football players because they want the games back on yet we wont test people who show no symptoms.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #250 on May 21, 2020, 08:26:50 am by Filo »
All this talk about football returning and players go back into training, but I’ve not seen any reports regarding match day officials and how they will be managed. After all without those the games don’t take place at all

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #251 on May 21, 2020, 08:34:07 am by roversdude »
Excellent point Filo

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #252 on May 21, 2020, 08:45:55 am by IDM »
I can’t imagine that the scheme to test footballers wouldn’t be extended to match officials and stadium staff - I think this was covered in the original bbc report on the bundesliga coming back.

Testing of non-players will happen, but it isn’t going to be headline news.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #253 on May 21, 2020, 11:12:29 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/18463828.league-one-clubs-get-two-options-end-season-will-relegate-southend-united/

If true looks like MacAnthony's proposal is off the table.

With the two remaining options, I would guess the vote would go to end the season now rather than play on.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #254 on May 21, 2020, 11:17:15 am by silent majority »
All this talk about football returning and players go back into training, but I’ve not seen any reports regarding match day officials and how they will be managed. After all without those the games don’t take place at all

We've thrown umpteen questions at the EPL about the resumption of the season, and they have had a response for everything. I wouldn't worry about things like this, they've thought of it all.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #255 on May 21, 2020, 11:20:43 am by Filo »

We've thrown umpteen questions at the EPL about the resumption of the season, and they have had a response for everything. I wouldn't worry about things like this, they've thought of it all.

What a said was I’ve not seen any reports regarding match day officials, thats not to say that these things are being discussed, I just thought it was worth a mention

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #256 on May 21, 2020, 11:22:30 am by silent majority »
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/18463828.league-one-clubs-get-two-options-end-season-will-relegate-southend-united/

If true looks like MacAnthony's proposal is off the table.

With the two remaining options, I would guess the vote would go to end the season now rather than play on.

The clubs have heard nothing from the EFL Board after yesterdays meeting, so no recommendations have been forthcoming.

I wouldn't read too much into that article. However from what I can gather there's no swell of support for MacAnthony's proposal.

I would expect something to happen today though so that the clubs can start to evaluate their positions.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #257 on May 21, 2020, 12:43:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Hopefully this isn't the last we see of Mr Coppinger. :(

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on May 21, 2020, 01:49:23 pm by Woodhead Passer »
Finally some clarity from the EFL. Looks like we're not going up then!  :lol:

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:51:53 pm by Woodhead Passer »

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #259 on May 21, 2020, 02:05:06 pm by firestarter »
There’ll be some clubs throwing their toys out of their prams  now. We are in unprecedented times and unfortunately unprecedented measures are needed

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #260 on May 21, 2020, 02:15:40 pm by DonnyOsmond »
From the top 8, where it's so close there obviously will be 2 teams who will be pissed off and feel robbed if they're not allowed in to any play offs that happening. If that's decided because some teams have already played Bolton and Southend and others haven't then that's harsh.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #261 on May 21, 2020, 02:24:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
Very good news that this will disadvantage Peterborough and take them out of play offs where they currently are and dump them back in with the rest of us, well clear of any promotion risk. Unlucky.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #262 on May 21, 2020, 02:25:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's not a potentially bad outcome for us simply as promotion this year could be disastrous, expensive and way before we are ready.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #263 on May 21, 2020, 02:28:51 pm by Chris Black come back »
I agree. It would get rid of bigger clubs like Coventry and Rotherham, also potentially Portsmouth through play offs. Bolton who are a big club and must soon turn a corner, also go. The clubs that come down from Championship are the smallest clubs in there. So long as Sunderland continue to massively underperform, then it is a fairly even league next season on this basis.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #264 on May 21, 2020, 02:37:40 pm by roversdude »
Don’t think that statement really says much, still preferred to complete, wonder if Stevenage are having second thoughts.
In our league we need 12 clubs to vote for the ppg

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #265 on May 21, 2020, 02:43:25 pm by silent majority »
I agree. It would get rid of bigger clubs like Coventry and Rotherham, also potentially Portsmouth through play offs. Bolton who are a big club and must soon turn a corner, also go. The clubs that come down from Championship are the smallest clubs in there. So long as Sunderland continue to massively underperform, then it is a fairly even league next season on this basis.

Not necessarily. It depends on what action the EFL take with regard to Derby County and SWFC about the sale of their grounds at inflated prices. Its quite possible that the penalties imposed will see them relegated instead of Barnsley.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on May 21, 2020, 02:56:12 pm by Chris Black come back »
That is a fair point SM. Not holding my breath though for any tough action being taken those two, especially as they are no promotion or relegation threat in Championship.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #267 on May 21, 2020, 03:00:43 pm by silent majority »
That is a fair point SM. Not holding my breath though for any tough action being taken those two, especially as they are no promotion or relegation threat in Championship.

I wouldn't hold mine either, but with Barnsley threatening legal action if it doesn't happen before the seasons end it could get very interesting.

Can you imagine both SWFC and DC in Lg1 with a £2.5m wage cap??

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #268 on May 21, 2020, 03:01:59 pm by Prez »
Very good news that this will disadvantage Peterborough and take them out of play offs where they currently are and dump them back in with the rest of us, well clear of any promotion risk. Unlucky.

I feel so sad for Peterborough and in particular Darragh MacAnthony. Just think if they had beaten us just once this season they would now be sat in the top 2. All thanks to Kieren Sadlier the guy he called a w*nker and also said who the f*ck is Kieren Sadlier on social media. Well ill tell you he is Darragh he is the guy who together with his teamates who has cost you promotion this season. Karma.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #269 on May 21, 2020, 03:12:50 pm by selby »
  SM, I agree with a pay cap, but surely because of existing contracts that may or may not effect ourselves, a stepped progress towards the full implementation will have to be put into effect.
   Surely teams like Sunderland and Portsmouth would be way over the  suggested level, Rotherham I was told at the start of the season was £6.5 million player budget as was Oxfords and Coventry's and Peterborough even more although their biggest wage earner left in January.
   How are existing term contracts going to be altered to meet the required level, such as Marquis would take a big bite out of a the budget set as we hear it is and is contracted for a couple more seasons and so will more of the Portsmouth squad, along with the Sunderland squad, also their transfer value will have plummeted with only success on the field of play from now on helping to retain that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012