Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:27:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL season over  (Read 58530 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: EFL season over
« Reply #570 on June 13, 2020, 12:26:07 pm by tyke1962 »
Tyke that’s a worrying assessment of your current predicament

The only way the club self sustains is through the transfer market Rover , TV revenue , ST's and match day income does not .

The transfer market is likely to collapse , the vast majority of our better players are sold to championship clubs with only Mawson in recent times going to the PL .

There is pre pandemic some good players who would bring in very good revenue even with the season we've had .

Cauley Woodrow is in the £6m to £8m bracket .

Connor Chaplin around £4m

Alex Mowatt and Jacob Brown around £3m .

There at least £16m pounds worth of talent at pre pandemic market levels .

At this moment in time these players are worthless because nobody has any cash in our selling market and none of the above are PL quality , we'd do well at this moment in time to get our £2m back on what we paid for Woodrow and Chaplin never mind see a profit .

Once the transfer market collapses there's little point in the ownership continuing with the project because it's the very reason they bought the club , they never bought it to bankroll or even support it with their own funds what so ever .

The pandemic has killed the project stone dead .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #571 on June 13, 2020, 12:51:42 pm by drfchound »
Tyke, is there a plan in place for the EFL to deal with the Derby and Sheff Weds issues?
If it doesn’t happen soon then it may be that they would begin next season in the Championship with a points deduction, rather that having a points deduction applied this season.....which would better suit your cause.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #572 on June 13, 2020, 12:55:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tyke.

I've no problem with how Barnsley have run themselves. It made sense in the existing football financial system. But a system that valued a player like Woodrow at £8m when, as you say, he is nothing more that higher Tier 2 standard, was always fundamentally broken.

Transfer fees and wages in Tier 2 became unmoored from anything that remotely made sustainable financial sense years ago. The only question was, what was going to be the catalyst to bring the whole edifice down.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #573 on June 13, 2020, 02:27:31 pm by IDM »
There will undoubtedly be some teams in the championship - with parachute payments etc - who can afford to buy such players at those sorts of figures in a bid to return to the premier league.  The players may be no better than championship standard, but they could still command a decent fee for such buying clubs to pay.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #574 on June 13, 2020, 02:42:29 pm by drfchound »
Peterborough are saying they will have to sell Toney and suggest that he is worth £11m.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #575 on June 13, 2020, 02:53:09 pm by Draytonian III »
They might get £6m for him , when is his contract up 2021 ?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #576 on June 13, 2020, 03:04:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Assets are worth jack shit when there is no market.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #577 on June 13, 2020, 04:48:32 pm by selby »
  Any player like Tony I  think would consider staying where he is until his contract runs out. Take what is in the hand, and if he does well he will have the chance of a decent signing on fee and higher wages with a bigger club  twelve months down the line, and take the chance of things being at a better place as regards clubs having funds to spend on players then than they have now.
  He can't  lose under the system, the only ones that could would be  Peterborough at around a million pounds a month on him.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #578 on June 13, 2020, 05:01:14 pm by RoversAlias »
He's had an absolutely storming season, he will easily get a Championship club (at least) and likely on higher wages, so of course he'll want to move on. There are no guarantees of another 25+ goal season after all.

Plus Posh will hugely benefit from the transfer revenue during this time.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #579 on June 13, 2020, 05:23:54 pm by drfchound »
Toney is a great striker.
I remember suggesting a while back that I would like him at the Rovers but others posted saying no thanks.
He is a bit like Marquis in that the opposition fans really don’t like him.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #580 on June 13, 2020, 05:42:59 pm by NewDonny »
He's had an absolutely storming season, he will easily get a Championship club (at least) and likely on higher wages, so of course he'll want to move on. There are no guarantees of another 25+ goal season after all.

Plus Posh will hugely benefit from the transfer revenue during this time.

I agree, he has had a very good season, but let's put things in perspective here. He is a Championship player at best, he is nowhere near EPL quality. The idiot Chairman at Peterborough along with his Team Manager Ferguson and Director of football Fry can spout off any figure they like in terms of what they think he is worth. However, I suspect they are in for another huge disappointment, if they got 2m for him in todays new football market I would be very surprised and unless someone takes a punt on him and is prepared to pay then we could see him kicking off next season at Posh again TBH.

Quality free agent players are in demand, but clubs sticking large numbers on players still under contract and looking for a move are going to struggle to release their valuation on their assets.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:07:21 pm by NewDonny »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #581 on June 13, 2020, 05:48:43 pm by tyke1962 »
Tyke.

I've no problem with how Barnsley have run themselves. It made sense in the existing football financial system. But a system that valued a player like Woodrow at £8m when, as you say, he is nothing more that higher Tier 2 standard, was always fundamentally broken.

Transfer fees and wages in Tier 2 became unmoored from anything that remotely made sustainable financial sense years ago. The only question was, what was going to be the catalyst to bring the whole edifice down.

The problem we have Billy is that we have owners with little or no experience of English football , these people come from hospitality backgrounds and one who is a huge investor in Hollywood blockbuster's .

With that lack of experience comes not been able to manage the downsides in football effectively .

Because the club had a good streak under it's pervious owner of finding undervalued talent and made a huge profit on it attracted their attention when Patrick Cryne announced he was terminally ill and needed to sell the club .

They deduced we'd invented summat when most of us who have followed this game long enough knew they hadn't and were simply enjoying a good day at the races .

There was never at any point any thoughts of the talent drying up or the transfer market collapsing , all fairly predictable scenarios if you've followed this game long enough .

Any downside to the transfer market would always leave the club extremely exposed .

Indeed the talent coming in of late has been poor , Wilks at £1.2m is probably the runt in the litter , how much is he worth now ? ....... not what we paid for him that's for sure and that's with pre pandemic glasses on .

I've said to fellow tykes , we are facing the biggest 9 games in the clubs history when the season commences .

This isn't a battle for championship survival but a battle for our entire existence .

We don't remain in the Championship and at least £7.4m of tv revenue coming in then it could be all over for us unless the ownership are prepared to support the business .

There's little indication they have the appetite for that .

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 08:07:39 pm by tyke1962 »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #582 on June 13, 2020, 05:49:06 pm by drfchound »
I agree ND.
As good as he is there is no way that PU will be able to get £11m for him.
I hope they do get something for him from a Championship club though because in L1 next season he would be very potent and give PU an advantage.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #583 on June 13, 2020, 06:17:28 pm by selby »
  With the money in the game disappearing this season, he has everything to gain seeing his contract out, which would probably be as much or more than clubs apart from the Premiership will offer.
  If he is confident in his own ability and does have a good season he will get his move hopefully when things are better, and cutting out the Peterborough money means he will end up with a big signing on fee and higher wages.
  The risk he takes is that he or Peterborough bomb in the next season.
  Anyone thinking big money apart from at the top will be splashed out this coming season  are away with the fairies.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #584 on June 13, 2020, 08:05:26 pm by tyke1962 »
Tyke, is there a plan in place for the EFL to deal with the Derby and Sheff Weds issues?
If it doesn’t happen soon then it may be that they would begin next season in the Championship with a points deduction, rather that having a points deduction applied this season.....which would better suit your cause.

Both Derby and Wednesday are still to face the music hound .

Not certain at what stage the EFL are with it in all honesty .

I suspect the EFL are playing for time and see where the land lies when all 46 games are completed before coming to a decision .

If we go down and are only 9 points behind Wednesday and they don't deduct them points this season then my club are taking the EFL to court for not adhering to their own rules with discrimination at the heart of it .

This has happened to us before when Bolton stayed up in the final five minutes of the season which sent us down , with five minutes of the season remaining we were safe .

Bolton were then deducted points the following season which wasn't much good to us in League One .

We let that one ride and didn't challenge it , however this time we aren't .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #585 on June 13, 2020, 08:18:08 pm by drfchound »
Yeah we went down when Bolton scored ten seconds from the end of the season one time.
I suppose the EFL won’t want to tread on the toes of DC or SW so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they leave a decision until,it won’t send one or both of them down.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #586 on June 13, 2020, 08:39:06 pm by NickDRFC »
Yeah we went down when Bolton scored ten seconds from the end of the season one time.
I suppose the EFL won’t want to tread on the toes of DC or SW so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they leave a decision until,it won’t send one or both of them down.

It was Birmingham wasn’t it? Possibly against Bolton. Like you I can’t see the EFL acting on Wednesday or Derby and relegating either of them.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #587 on June 13, 2020, 08:43:34 pm by drfchound »

It was Birmingham wasn’t it? Possibly against Bolton. Like you I can’t see the EFL acting on Wednesday or Derby and relegating either of them.

Yes Nick, it was Birmingham.....at Bolton of course.
Still, it is ok to blame Bolton......for letting them score.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #588 on June 13, 2020, 08:56:56 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Paul Caddis

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #589 on June 13, 2020, 10:13:54 pm by scawsby steve »
Paul Caddis

Yes, and we got our own back on him when he lined up for Blackburn in 2017 at Ewood Park, and we dicked them 3-1.

I loved that day.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #590 on June 14, 2020, 02:48:44 pm by Frankie Rennie »

I suspect the EFL are playing for time and see where the land lies when all 46 games are completed before coming to a decision .

If we go down and are only 9 points behind Wednesday and they don't deduct them points this season then my club are taking the EFL to court for not adhering to their own rules with discrimination at the heart of it .

This has happened to us before when Bolton stayed up in the final five minutes of the season which sent us down , with five minutes of the season remaining we were safe .

Bolton were then deducted points the following season which wasn't much good to us in League One .

Tyke I think you’ve got your facts wrong mate. To my knowledge Wanderers have never suffered a points deduction other than the recent one and I’ve been watching them since the early sixties. Please confirm the season because I’ve either missed it or your confusing Wanderers with someone else. I know Bolton are number one villains on here but we’ve never had an issue with Barnsley to my knowledge.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #591 on June 14, 2020, 04:11:56 pm by tyke1962 »

Tyke I think you’ve got your facts wrong mate. To my knowledge Wanderers have never suffered a points deduction other than the recent one and I’ve been watching them since the early sixties. Please confirm the season because I’ve either missed it or your confusing Wanderers with someone else. I know Bolton are number one villains on here but we’ve never had an issue with Barnsley to my knowledge.

Hi frankie .

Yeh your right , my club have spun this one and I've not checked it right .

What they should have said is that you were having severe financial issues at the time , 2017 / 18 which is a bit different from the EFL investigating Bolton Wanderers .

No axe with Bolton either mate , had some titanic battles with yourselves in the late 90's , two tremendous games the year we both got automatically promoted to the PL , the second encounter at Burnden Park was one of the best championship games I've seen .

Hope your club can sort your issues out , the fans aren't responsible for it after all .

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #592 on June 14, 2020, 05:08:57 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Thanks for that Tyke I couldn’t recall any other points penalties but I might have missed something. I also remember some cracking games against Barnsley including the year you mention. I recall being at Oakwell with a bunch of Barnsley mates and we were 2-0 up at half time thinking we’d cracked it but you came storming back in the second half and we were lucky to come away with a point. We were both in the top 3 so every point mattered.

We’ve fallen on hard times mate brought on by a crooked owner, much like Donny in the nineties but hopefully we have hit bottom, have good new owners and I’m sure will bounce back quickly as long as this virus doesn’t cause too much damage.

Anyway best of luck for the rest of the season and I look forward to future games between us as well as Donny in the years to come if we all survive?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #593 on June 14, 2020, 07:28:24 pm by ravenrover »
Frankie/Tyke can I just point out that this is Rovers forum 😉

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #594 on June 14, 2020, 07:59:56 pm by Chris the Rover »
So what! Always good to have input from supporters of other clubs, especially when they write sensibly. Carry on lads.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #595 on June 14, 2020, 09:37:48 pm by roversdude »
Frankie/Tyke can I just point out that this is Rovers forum 😉

Get a room guys lol

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #596 on June 14, 2020, 09:47:02 pm by IDM »
So what! Always good to have input from supporters of other clubs, especially when they write sensibly. Carry on lads.

you missed RR’s winky emoticon.?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #597 on June 14, 2020, 11:11:47 pm by tyke1962 »
Thanks for that Tyke I couldn’t recall any other points penalties but I might have missed something. I also remember some cracking games against Barnsley including the year you mention. I recall being at Oakwell with a bunch of Barnsley mates and we were 2-0 up at half time thinking we’d cracked it but you came storming back in the second half and we were lucky to come away with a point. We were both in the top 3 so every point mattered.

We’ve fallen on hard times mate brought on by a crooked owner, much like Donny in the nineties but hopefully we have hit bottom, have good new owners and I’m sure will bounce back quickly as long as this virus doesn’t cause too much damage.

Anyway best of luck for the rest of the season and I look forward to future games between us as well as Donny in the years to come if we all survive?

This is a better explanation of my club's position towards yourselves Frankie and the 2017/18 campaign .

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/rumours-imminent-decision-over-sheffield-wednesday-points-deduction-says-barnsley-ceo-2880967?fbclid=IwAR0YwKupqlI3vhP3ApbtgqrBTs8KVzpEcpVXM-5OSske6RcdtnbC84D-6dY

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #598 on June 15, 2020, 09:03:36 am by Frankie Rennie »
The reason we weren’t penalised that season Tyke was because there’s a cut off point where it takes effect the following season. We would actually have preferred it that season because we were going down anyway but trying to get any kind of sensible decision out of the EFL is as you know rather hard.

All the problems we had over the cancelled Donny game could have been avoided if they had given Donny the 3 points and penalised us financially separately but oh no, let’s just drag it out. In fact if that had awarded Donny the points it could have meant you making the play offs so there are big affects. Don’t bet on them making points deductions this year for those transgressing because they would only open up another legal challenge. Basically the EFL are not fit for purpose and need to be replaced with a totally independent body from the clubs.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #599 on June 15, 2020, 09:47:40 am by IDM »
The reason there is a cut off date for such punishments to roll into the next season is precisely for the situation you pointed out “we were going down anyway” or it’s no real punishment at all. 

If I remember correctly, this all started when Leeds put themselves into Administration during the actual game, where their relegation would have happened anyway, in an attempt to nullify the points deduction.

We all know what happened the following season.!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012