Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 01:43:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Speed trap  (Read 3742 times)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Speed trap
« on June 02, 2020, 09:27:01 am by Axholme Lion »
Yesterday was the first day back at work  for many after weeks of sitting earning no money, so let's all put our hands together for SY Police and their speed trap on Wheatley Hall Road last night waiting to catch someone doing 43 in a 40 zone and give them another unwanted bill. It's a pity the plod haven't got anything better to do at a time like this. Mind how you go. Evening all.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Speed trap
« Reply #1 on June 02, 2020, 09:44:00 am by drfchound »
You wouldn't get done for doing 43 in a 40 zone.
There does appear to be lots of people out there who think they can get away with excessive speeding.
If you don’t speed you don’t get fined.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 02, 2020, 09:50:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Some of the driving in Sheffield has been utterly out of control. I've seen someone drive at 50 down our (20 limit) side road.

I've zero time for hearing people whining about drivers being pulled for speeding. You know the rules. Stick to them and you don't get pulled.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 02, 2020, 09:56:56 am by Filo »
Anyone caught by the speed camera on Wheatley Hall Road must be plain stupid, they’ve been there in the same spot long enough, parked just after a bend, just after the Mini dealership going towards town and just after Parklands going out of town, it’s not like they’ve suddenly started parking there is it?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 02, 2020, 10:32:29 am by DonnyOsmond »
Don't speed and you won't get fined. Simples.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 02, 2020, 11:17:11 am by redarmy82 »
Exactly. If you get caught speeding, you've only yourself to blame.

They even give you a leeway for Christ's sake.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 02, 2020, 11:20:31 am by Axholme Lion »
I don't speed in town but it just seemed to me a coincidence that on the first busy day back they are there with the money box. It's nothing to do with road safety, it's a money making exercise.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 02, 2020, 11:27:31 am by idler »
They were also out in Bradford but the standard of driving here warrants them being out.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 02, 2020, 11:35:45 am by pib »
Some of the driving in Sheffield has been utterly out of control. I've seen someone drive at 50 down our (20 limit) side road.

I've zero time for hearing people whining about drivers being pulled for speeding. You know the rules. Stick to them and you don't get pulled.

I have to agree. Some of the driving on the motorways has been ridiculous as well. People taking advantage of the quieter roads to bomb around at what must be 100mph in some cases.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 02, 2020, 12:56:05 pm by redarmy82 »
I don't speed in town but it just seemed to me a coincidence that on the first busy day back they are there with the money box. It's nothing to do with road safety, it's a money making exercise.

It only makes them money because people speed.

As someone who has lost a family member to someone speeding in 40mph zone, I've no time for anyone who tries to make excuses for speeding.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 02, 2020, 01:05:09 pm by adamtherover »
Is there any other offences the original poster thinks you should be able to get away with?

The law is there for a reason..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:35:09 pm by adamtherover »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 02, 2020, 01:31:28 pm by ravenrover »
I wish they would appear on our village again, the same 2 or 3 cars whose drivers think there is very little traffic to worry about and have been absolutely caning it down our street.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 02, 2020, 01:31:43 pm by drfchound »

Speed limits are in place out of town too, for a reason.
Hard to believe you think it is ok to speed out of town.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 02, 2020, 01:33:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Only if you make it a money making exercise for them. Blame yourself, not others.

As for 'it's nothing to do with road safety', I take it you've never done the speed awareness course.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:35:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 02, 2020, 01:38:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Yesterday was the first day back at work  for many after weeks of sitting earning no money, so let's all put our hands together for SY Police and their speed trap on Wheatley Hall Road last night waiting to catch someone doing 43 in a 40 zone and give them another unwanted bill. It's a pity the plod haven't got anything better to do at a time like this. Mind how you go. Evening all.

They have, and if people drove properly and safely they could be out doing it.

That whinge really gets up my nose.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 02, 2020, 02:12:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Anyone who can write a post like the OP has clearly never had a 13 year old family member mown down by a driver who reckoned it was OK to exceed the speed limit on the edge of town.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 02, 2020, 02:17:15 pm by Axholme Lion »

Only if you make it a money making exercise for them. Blame yourself, not others.

As for 'it's nothing to do with road safety', I take it you've never done the speed awareness course.

No I haven't done the course. I haven't had need to because I don't speed around town.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 02, 2020, 02:38:55 pm by Batleyred »
They were also out in Bradford but the standard of driving here warrants them being out.

Likewise in Batley

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 02, 2020, 03:14:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

No I haven't done the course. I haven't had need to because I don't speed around town.

So you speed outside town then do you?

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 02, 2020, 04:57:50 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Well all I can say is having  driven for my work all over South Yorks, Humberside and Lincolnshire all through this lockdown as a "key worker"  The tossers are well and truly back this week.

Its nearly been a pleasure driving  then over the last 2 to 3 weeks theyve been creeping  back out of the woodwork more and more 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:24:45 pm by Dagenham Rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 02, 2020, 07:00:31 pm by drfchound »

You dont have to get caught speeding only in town to get the option of a speeding course, known as a driver awareness course.
The courses are available for people who get caught out in other areas too.
In a 60 limit for example, if you get caught doing 68 to 75 mph you get the
 option of attending a course rather than get points or a fine.

It isn’t all about not speeding in town.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 02, 2020, 08:07:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm a very careful driver and I've been on two driving awareness courses. The second one I went on even the bloke who was running it had himself been on the course in the past. As he pointed out, all drivers drive over the speed limit on occasions, mostly by mistake, and those who end up on the speed awareness courses are the unlucky ones.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 02, 2020, 08:52:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bullshit BB.

The unlucky ones are the ones like my wife's 13 year old cousin who was hit while he was waiting for a school bus by a driver who mounted a kerb when (in his words) only going a bit over the limit)  and left permanently disabled.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 02, 2020, 09:04:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Now why did I expect you to pipe up! Are you telling me that the driver who knocked your wife's cousin down was offered a driver awareness course instead of receiving points on his license?

I don't condone driving above the speed limit even when it is accidental, and I don't think it is unfair to be summonsed for it. I pointed out that everyone drives over the limit on occasions, many of them by mistake. Nobody is infallible, not even you.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 02, 2020, 09:21:28 pm by MachoMadness »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 02, 2020, 09:26:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

Thanks for your sympathy for my wife's cousin.

I didn't take umbridge at the comment about everyone breaching the limit.

I've done it myself. And been caught.

What sticks in my f**king throat is the idea that drivers in that situation are "unlucky".

I'm sure you'd appreciate what I'm saying if you came and visited my wife's cousin.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 02, 2020, 09:42:19 pm by Draytonian III »
Why are speed road signs put up ?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 02, 2020, 09:44:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST, you're just looking for an argument for argument's sake. Drivers who are caught breaking the speed limit and are offered a speed awareness course are almost invariably no more guilty of speeding than every other driver. The fact that they are the ones who have been caught is why I describe them as unlucky, no other reason.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 02, 2020, 10:00:20 pm by Draytonian III »
Why are speed limit signs put up ?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 02, 2020, 10:05:35 pm by EasyforDennis »

You dont have to get caught speeding only in town to get the option of a speeding course, known as a driver awareness course.
The courses are available for people who get caught out in other areas too.
In a 60 limit for example, if you get caught doing 68 to 75 mph you get the
 option of attending a course rather than get points or a fine.

It isn’t all about not speeding in town.

I would be amazed that anyone caught doing 75 mph in a 60 zone would get the option of a driver awareness course. Surely that is wrong?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012