Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 08:15:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What has happened in this country  (Read 23270 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: What has happened in this country
« Reply #240 on June 14, 2020, 01:44:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Talking about Culture War, I'm regularly shocked at just how f**king thick Fox News thinks its audience is. They clearly assume they can rule them with any old b*llocks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1271896103357747200

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #241 on June 14, 2020, 02:09:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And then this.
https://mobile.twitter.com/paulkrugman

In the current circumstances, isn't it illegal to stoke up passions like this?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on June 14, 2020, 02:12:12 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
When I left Donny for London in the early 1980’s I attended quite a few anti racism marches organised by the Anti Nazi League amongst others. The violence we saw yesterday was common back in those days, but rarely seemed to be reported. Many times we were attacked and abused by right wing thugs who, more often than not, outnumbered the anti racists. Also, the Police would often stand by and not do a great deal to stop these attacks. One infamous incident that I heard 3rd hand, was of some Police Officers proudly displaying NF badges!

Now, we are seeing the anti racism marches having significantly more people joining them than the racists. This was pretty rare back in the day. This makes me optimistic that we are turning things around to the point that the racists are in the minority. It’s taken a long time though. 

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on June 14, 2020, 02:31:48 pm by phil old leake »
I’m not wanting to upset anyone but like you said Herbert you heard the story 3rd hand. Propaganda boxxocks
I find it very difficult to believe that if it did happen it was never reported on
What a great story that would have been for the trouble causing selective reporting press
If there’s any evidence of the police anywhere in the uk openly displaying fascism by flying flags then let’s see it

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on June 14, 2020, 02:44:14 pm by bpoolrover »
Here's the poster boy of the Fat Lads Alliance.

is it ok to call out fat people what if your words drove someone who has eating disorder to harm themself? Is it ok to cherry pick what you say is ok? Does this not make you as bad as
A rasist

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on June 14, 2020, 02:44:45 pm by wilts rover »
So, BST, Sydney, Wilts, Macho and all, where are we going with this? Genuine question.

Really, I don't know DBR - but it does feel like an epoch changing moment to me - as the late 1960's were.

After Covid things are going to be different. I can't tell you if they will be better or worse but I am pretty sure they will be different.

These protests have highlighted the cracks, divisions, prejudices in society - and that a government that has succeed by exploiting them, appears neither able or willing to heal them.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #247 on June 14, 2020, 02:55:24 pm by NickDRFC »

is it ok to call out fat people what if your words drove someone who has eating disorder to harm themself? Is it ok to cherry pick what you say is ok? Does this not make you as bad as
A rasist

Fat people haven’t been marginalised or persecuted for years because of their genetics.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #248 on June 14, 2020, 02:57:42 pm by Filo »

A rasist

This is the problem these days, I’m fat, it never once crossed my mind that it would offend me, some folk make it their mission in life to be offended

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on June 14, 2020, 02:59:07 pm by bpoolrover »
Racism is calling someone because of there colour ect. He is calling people because of the way they look, you can’t just pick and choose what suits and “fat” people have been shamed for years and years as you well no

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #250 on June 14, 2020, 02:59:51 pm by bpoolrover »

A rasist

This is the problem these days, I’m fat, it never once crossed my mind that it would offend me, some folk make it their mission in life to be offended
agree with that filo but it does upset and offend a lot of people

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #251 on June 14, 2020, 03:04:42 pm by Filo »

A rasist

Fat people haven’t been marginalised or persecuted for years because of their genetics.

On that point I beg to differ, I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been called a fat bas**rd, (not that it bothers me), and I know for a fact I was turned down in a job application after the interview because of being fat, despite being the best and most experienced candidate, to the point that I knew more than the interviewer about the job

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #252 on June 14, 2020, 03:06:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
So, BST, Sydney, Wilts, Macho and all, where are we going with this? Genuine question.

Really, I don't know DBR - but it does feel like an epoch changing moment to me - as the late 1960's were.

After Covid things are going to be different. I can't tell you if they will be better or worse but I am pretty sure they will be different.

These protests have highlighted the cracks, divisions, prejudices in society - and that a government that has succeed by exploiting them, appears neither able or willing to heal them.

I think so too and there isn't a magic wand, I'm sure we wish there were. Any government would have a difficult task with this however we shouldn't shirk away from it being our problem. We all have responsibility to play our part however we can. Even if its trying to educate. Hopefully everyone who reads this forum will have challenged themselves and be open to learning and understanding.

The football is the thing that brings us together. Should we be taking positive action rather than leaving it the the club, the EFL, the FA etc?

We know the club has a policy on dealing with racist behaviour and advice for fans who encounter it but shouldn't we be taking on an active role in supporting a zero tolerance stance? I just think it's too easy to stand behind a banner, wear a T Shirt on a day and hope everything will be fine.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #253 on June 14, 2020, 03:08:29 pm by phil old leake »
I’ve just read your point from this morning bpoolrover
I’m with you on this
People today get upset because they can’t get upset and that upsets them which upsets them further
This  is not undermining the fact that all forms of racism whether it be black on black white on black or black on white which does actually occur is not absolutely terrible and abhorrent but some people actually go out of their way these days to find any reason to feel aggrieved

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #254 on June 14, 2020, 03:09:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Racism is calling someone because of there colour ect. He is calling people because of the way they look, you can’t just pick and choose what suits and “fat” people have been shamed for years and years as you well no

Bpool.

I get that you have a determination to choose very odd hills to die on, but drawing a connection between belittling someone because of the colour they are born, and belittling someone who is clearly incapable of controlling his ale intake, to the point that he would piss on a memorial to a terrorist victim is a new standard even for you.

The point is, of course, that the FLA would like to see themselves as some sort of glamorous Knights of St George. What they actually are, are the pathetic nothings, typified by that bell end in the photo.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #255 on June 14, 2020, 03:11:22 pm by bpoolrover »
It’s not to do with the fla it’s to do with the word fat if everybody goes around saying it then potentially your upsetting offending tens of millions of people, like racists you are judging people by how they look
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:21:27 pm by bpoolrover »

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #256 on June 14, 2020, 03:11:40 pm by phil old leake »
Donnybaz you’re 100% right about there needing to be zero tolerance. Up until I moved 18 months ago I was at nearly every home and a lot of away games
Can you tell me when was the last time you heard any racist comments at the Keepmoat. I used to stand in the south stand and I am genuinely struggling to recall any

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #257 on June 14, 2020, 03:30:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Donnybaz you’re 100% right about there needing to be zero tolerance. Up until I moved 18 months ago I was at nearly every home and a lot of away games
Can you tell me when was the last time you heard any racist comments at the Keepmoat. I used to stand in the south stand and I am genuinely struggling to recall any

Tend to agree but we've heard people say they have encountered it, so we've got to be prepared to deal with it, rather than stand aside and think it's someone else's responsibility to deal with it. Everyone entering that stadium needs to know what is expected of them, the consequences and their responsibilities in challenging it and reporting it in the right manner. But its got to be a message from us, the fans. We need to make sure folk feel empowered and comfortable enough to take the right action without getting into conflict. Maybe easier said than done but we should be doing more.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on June 14, 2020, 03:59:18 pm by MachoMadness »
I honestly couldn't tell you. The pushback we're seeing was inevitable really, as are the attempts to make it more about statues and sitcoms than the actual real issues. Whether that pushback will successfully derail the movement, I can't say, but it does feel like a watershed moment. As more people take an anti-racist - rather than simply non-racist - stance, a lot of people are going to have to accept some uncomfortable home truths about themselves and their culture. Whether we as a country are mature enough to accept them, or whether we'll just blame it all on those troublemaking black folk with a chip on their shoulder, I can't say. Some of the responses on here are truly depressing, which is why I don't post as much anymore (until recently, at least, as this issue is one my family deals with every day), but the younger generation is giving me hope.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #259 on June 14, 2020, 04:02:26 pm by selby »
  Phil, I have attended every home and away matches over the last few years, the matches there has been any trouble (which have been very few) have been predictable being either local derby's or against the bigger teams, and are attended let's say by people who are not regular supporters hoping for a bit of action.
  The norm is no problems at all, anything else an exception, and I have to say at our level the opposition supporters I have seen are much the same.
  I have heard no racial chants even at one game when some said there was some I was unaware of it, unless you count you set of Yorkshire  B*****D's as racial, which seems to be the standard chant of the opposition.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #260 on June 14, 2020, 04:13:46 pm by selby »
  So the illegal raves, the lack of respect for the law of the land, the general lack of discipline and respect for others property and authority gives you hope  Macho does it?
  Forget left or Right, forget black and white, lot's of the young are ferrel, and the non acceptance of democratic election results and constant undermining of government and authority is reaping the results of their labours.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #261 on June 14, 2020, 04:32:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I honestly couldn't tell you. The pushback we're seeing was inevitable really, as are the attempts to make it more about statues and sitcoms than the actual real issues. Whether that pushback will successfully derail the movement, I can't say, but it does feel like a watershed moment. As more people take an anti-racist - rather than simply non-racist - stance, a lot of people are going to have to accept some uncomfortable home truths about themselves and their culture. Whether we as a country are mature enough to accept them, or whether we'll just blame it all on those troublemaking black folk with a chip on their shoulder, I can't say. Some of the responses on here are truly depressing, which is why I don't post as much anymore (until recently, at least, as this issue is one my family deals with every day), but the younger generation is giving me hope.

Yes and maybe would should start tight here, right now. Nobody should be afraid to post on this forum but we have to be prepared to be challenged, without resorting to name calling or making assumptions about folks beliefs and values. We can still be passionate but also respectful.

As you say, talking about Fawlty Towers or talking about our history of players and managers from different backgrounds is missing the point somewhat.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #262 on June 14, 2020, 05:49:58 pm by drfchound »

Phil, I posted recently about not hearing racist chants at Rovers games for many years.
Someone posted that they had heard some but when I asked whether they had reported it I didn’t get a response.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #263 on June 14, 2020, 06:45:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It’s not to do with the fla it’s to do with the word fat if everybody goes around saying it then potentially your upsetting offending tens of millions of people, like racists you are judging people by how they look

What Politically Correct term do you suggest we use instead of 'fat' so as not to offend all those tens of millions of people?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #264 on June 14, 2020, 06:53:08 pm by drfchound »
Why would anyone need to draw attention to whether someone is fat or not?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on June 14, 2020, 06:55:58 pm by wilts rover »

Can't disagree with anything there bpool. Equality is equality.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on June 14, 2020, 06:56:20 pm by wilts rover »

I think so too and there isn't a magic wand, I'm sure we wish there were. Any government would have a difficult task with this however we shouldn't shirk away from it being our problem. We all have responsibility to play our part however we can. Even if its trying to educate. Hopefully everyone who reads this forum will have challenged themselves and be open to learning and understanding.

The football is the thing that brings us together. Should we be taking positive action rather than leaving it the the club, the EFL, the FA etc?

We know the club has a policy on dealing with racist behaviour and advice for fans who encounter it but shouldn't we be taking on an active role in supporting a zero tolerance stance? I just think it's too easy to stand behind a banner, wear a T Shirt on a day and hope everything will be fine.

Yes, I agree with everything you have written there DBR. We, as a club, supporters in the ground, posters on this forum and as individuals, it is up to us to act responsibly and call out racism where we see it. I certainly wouldn't knock anyone with a banner or a t-shirt though - any positive move is a good move and you need to start from somewhere.

I do think though we should give praise where it is due. I wrote recently on another thread where I think Rovers should be proud of their record at tackling racism. From playing Charlie Williams to appointing Darren Moore - and standing by him in that dodgy period before Christmas they lead by example.

Nor should this forum. In that same dodgy period there were some very spurious comments from some posters that were quickly shot down.

There is a long way for society to go but, in my experience, Doncaster Rovers are nearer the front of the queue than the back.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #267 on June 14, 2020, 06:57:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It's a descriptive term, just as 'thin' is. I'm just asking the person who's raised this issue how they would convey that description to someone else without offending anyone.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #268 on June 14, 2020, 07:00:10 pm by drfchound »

It's a descriptive term, just as 'thin' is. I'm just asking the person who's raised this issue how they would convey that description to someone else without offending anyone.

And I am saying why would he need to do so.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #269 on June 14, 2020, 07:01:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

And I am saying why would he need to do so.

Go on then, how would you answer the question 'Who sang 'Vindaloo''? Or 'Lard is a type of what?'

TinyPortal © 2005-2012