Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 04:06:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Eddie Howe  (Read 4451 times)

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
Eddie Howe
« on August 01, 2020, 11:00:55 pm by phil o sophical »
Parted company with Bournemouth by mutual consent

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donny dave

• Forum Member
Re: Eddie Howe
« Reply #1 on August 01, 2020, 11:52:18 pm by donny dave »
 :facepalm:

WOW That seems strange

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 01, 2020, 11:59:36 pm by stuey »
Best thing I've seen tonight. Cannot stand the c##t

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 02, 2020, 01:22:23 am by NewDonny »

He's probably one of the most genuine nicest people in football tbh.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 02, 2020, 02:19:02 am by stuey »

Really? Based on what?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 02, 2020, 08:50:33 am by Barmby Rover »
One of the most talented English coaches to appear in the past twenty years, he got Bournemouth up there on a shoestring, and kept them there for much longer than expected. He will not be out of a job for long.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 02, 2020, 08:53:19 am by NewDonny »

Really? Based on what?

Based on the fact that I have met him and that through my dealings in football there are very few decent people in football but he is one of them.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 02, 2020, 09:32:36 am by idler »
He kept Bournemouth in the PL longer than anyone expected irrespective of the budget with the lowest crowds in the division.
I think that he will soon be offered another club and have a chance to prove it wasn't a fluke. He also comes across as an honest guy that would protect his players rather than hang them out to dry.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 02, 2020, 09:48:25 am by NickDRFC »
One of the most talented English coaches to appear in the past twenty years, he got Bournemouth up there on a shoestring, and kept them there for much longer than expected. He will not be out of a job for long.

Ahhhh the old myth that Bournemouth were promoted on a shoestring...must have been a 24 carat shoestring with a shit tonne of diamonds embedded - they accumulated massive losses funded by their oligarch in a gamble to get to the PL. Fortunately for them it paid off.

I think Howe’s done a decent job with them in the PL though, for the most part they’ve stayed up relatively comfortably and whilst playing decent football. Sometimes a parting of ways is for the best for both parties though to avoid things staling up.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 02, 2020, 10:00:08 am by Chris Black come back »

Ahhhh the old myth that Bournemouth were promoted on a shoestring...must have been a 24 carat shoestring with a shit tonne of diamonds embedded - they accumulated massive losses funded by their oligarch in a gamble to get to the PL. Fortunately for them it paid off.

I think Howe’s done a decent job with them in the PL though, for the most part they’ve stayed up relatively comfortably and whilst playing decent football. Sometimes a parting of ways is for the best for both parties though to avoid things staling up.

This is correct. For the last full season for which accounts are available 2018/19, they were pretty much mid-table in terms of wage bill, at £111m and they laid out more than several other other clubs that finished ahead of them eg Wolves, Newcastle, Watford. Whole club is a fraud. He might be a decent coach but they have been spending money like it is going out of fashion, without frankly much to show for it.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 02, 2020, 10:15:49 am by DonnyOsmond »
The season they went up from the Championship they wage bill was around 6th highest in the league and they got fined for breaching FFP. They did slightly better than their budget though so kudos to Howe for that but he definitely didn't have a Barnsley size budget.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 02, 2020, 11:04:46 am by Wiltshire Exile »
My opinion? One of the few decent people in the Premier League.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 02, 2020, 01:33:59 pm by Draytonian III »
He will get another job before Christmas and perhaps one after that , but IMO he will be a “ yesterday’s man “ like Alan Curbishley and Mark Hughes within 5 years

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 02, 2020, 01:52:28 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
The season they went up from the Championship they wage bill was around 6th highest in the league and they got fined for breaching FFP. They did slightly better than their budget though so kudos to Howe for that but he definitely didn't have a Barnsley size budget.

and he didn't trade "humans" like "commodities"   either ,

i remember when they first got in the championship they were giving away goals like " sociology degrees"  often four of five away  each match

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 02, 2020, 02:10:16 pm by RoversAlias »
Surely no Rovers fans should be unaware of the fact Bournemouth were bankrolled up the leagues! We beat Howe and his team to the L1 title after all on their way up, and they have spent a great deal on players since getting into the Premier League too. I think Eddie Howe has done a wonderful job and will land in a good place when he gets his next job, but it wasn't ever really done on a small budget.

If they had spent the money they wasted on players like Ibe and Solanke on better ones, they'd still be top flight now, quite simply.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 02, 2020, 03:57:29 pm by Chris the Rover »
Unbelievable. I expect Bournemouth to do a Bolton now. The world had gone mad.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 02, 2020, 04:09:50 pm by Retdon1 »

Not saying he didn’t do a decent job but it certainly wasn’t on a shoestring... have u seen the money he’s spent and their wage bill... a lot of his signings leave a lot to be desired too

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 02, 2020, 04:31:59 pm by drfchound »
It must have been a very expensive shoestring.
Didn’t Bournemouth get fined for breaking the FFP Rules.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 02, 2020, 05:16:41 pm by adamtherover »
In the last 10 years, their net spend is a 100 million behind Liverpool,  who in turn are 500 million behind utd and City.   Bournemouth have in no way whatsoever gone up and stayed up on a shoestring...

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 02, 2020, 05:24:28 pm by graingrover »
i wish my shoestrings were like this ..
Russian businessman Maxim Demin's company has taken full ownership of Bournemouth. A 25% stake in the Cherries, held by Chicago-based Peak6 Investments, has now been acquired by Demin's AFCB Enterprises Ltd. A club statement thanked Peak6 for their "investment in and commitment to" Bournemouth since November 2015.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:41:10 am by graingrover »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 02, 2020, 08:52:30 pm by idler »
IT must be hard attracting players to an unfashionable team at that level though. You know that if you unearth a gem he'll be pinched by a top club in no time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 02, 2020, 10:58:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've no real opinion on Howe, other than considering him to have been a tad disrespectful celebrating Bournemouth's L1 "title" while our match was still in progress.

Bournemouth on the other hand are a perfect example of the mess that the sport now is. A club used as a plaything by a vastly wealthy Russian businessman, and managing to make a £40m loss in the PL while getting £120m from the obscene TV and PL payments.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 02, 2020, 11:16:44 pm by PDX_Rover »
Still got milk teeth. He might be a nice chap but he was party to cheating.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 03, 2020, 08:02:57 am by roversdude »
Never liked the way he talks keeps his milk teething view and doesn’t open his mouth lol. In all honesty quite like the guy other than celebrating too early. He didn’t exactly set the world on fire when he left to go to Burnley so unsure of his managerial capability.
I feel a tad sorry for Stocky as I believe he is on the coaching staff down there

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 03, 2020, 09:13:45 am by DMnumber4 »
Never liked the way he talks keeps his milk teething view and doesn’t open his mouth lol. In all honesty quite like the guy other than celebrating too early. He didn’t exactly set the world on fire when he left to go to Burnley so unsure of his managerial capability.
I feel a tad sorry for Stocky as I believe he is on the coaching staff down there

Arguably his better work was in the lower leagues prior to the Russians coming and pumping money in. Didn't exactly go well at Turf Moor where there was the slightest whiff of expectation.

On the celebrating too early - it was notable how Dean Smith kept his lads in check for a few minutes while Watford were searching for that (elusive) win last week which would have relegated Villa.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 03, 2020, 09:21:26 am by idler »
I think that Rovers fans found it more amusing than being outraged.
I remember Man U celebrating winning the title at Sunderland before Man City scored two very late goals to clinch the title.
That prompted Fergie to demand that all games should finish at the same time. I don’t know how that could ever work.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 03, 2020, 11:17:44 am by Al4475 »
He left for a while previously didn't he? Joined villa or Burnley and lasted about a year and couldn't hack it? I like the guy and think he's done an ace job on the South Coast- but maybe he was made for that job and only that one!

I hope he gets another crack at a decent job and makes a good go of it!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 03, 2020, 11:45:41 am by RoversAlias »
His mum died around the time he was at Burnley. It may well have just been a case of bad timing or a bad fit, so his next job will be a big indicator of his ability to thrive outside of "his" club.

Mad to think he's spent the last 8 years at Bournemouth yet is still also the most recent Burnley manager to the current one, Sean Dyche.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 03, 2020, 12:18:37 pm by phil old leake »
I agree alias
Unfortunately things didn’t work out at Burnley for whatever personal reasons
His next job will be a maker or breaker
I can’t see any premiership clubs coming in for him at this stage. I guessing he will go elsewhere in the championship
He might just walk away. I’d like to think he’s earned enough in 5 years in the premiership to never have to work again
I’d be surprised if he went north again which could limit him

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 03, 2020, 12:25:17 pm by drfchound »
Phil, I think he might have to go at least a little way North mate.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012