Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 01:55:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 8 years ago  (Read 5469 times)

karldew

• Forum Member
8 years ago
« on December 21, 2020, 09:54:45 am by karldew »
Can’t see Copps extending or Iain Hume signing but, I wonder if the board give the green light and release funds for DM to work with...

“Green Light for Promotion - Board back Dean by keeping James Coppinger, Signing Iain Hume and looking at signing three others“

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Re: 8 years ago
« Reply #1 on December 21, 2020, 11:22:06 am by Branton Rover »
Lundstram came in along with the kid from New Zealand who’s name escapes me think it began H-something

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 21, 2020, 11:30:15 am by keyser_soze »
Dean Furman? He was about that time, and has recently returned to the UK after a spell in South Africa. Decent article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/06/dean-furman-jewish-footballers-chelsea-south-africa-interview
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 11:37:07 am by keyser_soze »

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 21, 2020, 11:34:52 am by vaya »
Lundstram came in along with the kid from New Zealand who’s name escapes me think it began H-something

That's going to drive me nuts until I remember it.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 21, 2020, 11:36:18 am by RoversAlias »
Cameron Howieson, who played a grand total of 0 minutes for us.

Lundstram and Furman were important January additions that season. Made a big difference.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 21, 2020, 11:37:18 am by vaya »

Lundstram and Furman were important January additions that season. Made a big difference.

Thanks RA.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 21, 2020, 12:30:50 pm by NickDRFC »

I could be misremembering but I thought they both joined later - late February or even March. They did give us a much needed boost though.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 21, 2020, 12:38:24 pm by RoversAlias »

I could be misremembering but I thought they both joined later - late February or even March. They did give us a much needed boost though.

You're right Nick, Lundstram joined in February and Furman in March, although I must admit I've forgotten the days of signings out of the conventional window times so just blanket remember these mid-season additions as "January" signings!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 21, 2020, 01:22:44 pm by RoversAlias »

You're right Nick, Lundstram joined in February and Furman in March, although I must admit I've forgotten the days of signings out of the conventional window times so just blanket remember these mid-season additions as "January" signings!
Thought Lundstrum joined us in November 2012.

20th February 2013. He was a Flynn signing, Saunders had a central midfield comprising Syers, Keegan and, erm, James Harper, at his disposal. Lunny and Furman were excellent additions to strengthen.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 21, 2020, 02:09:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
His first game for us (and indeed anyone at senior level) was 23 February 2013 in 1-1 draw at home to Yeovil. He started and was subbed in second half for Dave Syers.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 21, 2020, 02:11:51 pm by Chris Black come back »

Thought Lundstrum joined us in November 2012.

20th February 2013. He was a Flynn signing, Saunders had a central midfield comprising Syers, Keegan and, erm, James Harper, at his disposal. Lunny and Furman were excellent additions to strengthen.

After Lundstram arrived, we pretty much saw the last of Harper. He only managed one game after his arrival, in that dire 3-0 defeat away to MK ‘Dons’ on 5 March 2013. That was it for him then.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 21, 2020, 02:25:37 pm by vaya »
From memory, Harper was good up until he'd played sufficient games for his contract to be automatically extended. After that there was an decrease in overall effort which was inversely proportional to an increase in pointing.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 21, 2020, 02:36:50 pm by Janso »
From memory, Harper was good up until he'd played sufficient games for his contract to be automatically extended. After that there was an decrease in overall effort which was inversely proportional to an increase in pointing.

Correct. Would rather have kept Martis than that waste of space. He was quite good before the extension as well.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 21, 2020, 02:56:59 pm by Spud »
The Pointer, wasn't he?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 21, 2020, 03:22:55 pm by vaya »
The Pointer, wasn't he?

Yep. The only other player to be so defined by a digit being Dany 'The Toe' N'Guessan.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 21, 2020, 03:24:27 pm by VivaRovers »
I'm still amazed that so few supporters at the time wanted to give Brian Flynn the credit he deserved for steering us to that promotion. Yes, Saunders had assembled a solid 15 at the start of the season that got us on course, but we'd had a lot of luck under him in terms of not suffering from any serious injuries.

Without Flynn taking over we wouldn't have seen the arrivals of Lundstram and Furman who became so crucial, nor would Coppinger have come back, and perhaps we wouldn't have seen Husband pushed forward into midfield so effectively.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 21, 2020, 03:29:55 pm by JonWallsend »
I'm still amazed that so few supporters at the time wanted to give Brian Flynn the credit he deserved for steering us to that promotion. Yes, Saunders had assembled a solid 15 at the start of the season that got us on course, but we'd had a lot of luck under him in terms of not suffering from any serious injuries.

Without Flynn taking over we wouldn't have seen the arrivals of Lundstram and Furman who became so crucial, nor would Coppinger have come back, and perhaps we wouldn't have seen Husband pushed forward into midfield so effectively.

You don't need to convince me, Viva. Then again I was absolutely delighted when Saunders departed to Wolves.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 22, 2020, 05:03:15 pm by DMnumber4 »
Andy Griffin was a shrewd move.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 23, 2020, 10:53:09 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Some numbers from 2012/13.

Saunders left after 26 matches. We had 50 points. That's 1.92 ppg.

Flynn was caretaker, then full manager for the final 20 games of the season. We picked up 34 points. 1.70 ppg.

We went from dominant title winning form to just-about-squeak-a-play-off-spot form under Flynn.

Yes, we got over the line eventually, but we were the width of the bar away from ballsing it up. No side bar Bournemouth covered themselves in glory in the run-in. Only Bournemouth had form over the last 20 games that was equivalent to normal promotion-winning standard. We won the title in the end because our form didn't quite tail off as badly as several other sides, and we'd been left with a buffer to keep us above Bournemouth.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 23, 2020, 11:02:21 am by DonnyOsmond »

Some numbers from 2012/13.

Saunders left after 26 matches. We had 50 points. That's 1.92 ppg.

Flynn was caretaker, then full manager for the final 20 games of the season. We picked up 34 points. 1.70 ppg.

We went from dominant title winning form to just-about-squeak-a-play-off-spot form under Flynn.

Yes, we got over the line eventually, but we were the width of the bar away from ballsing it up. No side bar Bournemouth covered themselves in glory in the run-in. Only Bournemouth had form over the last 20 games that was equivalent to normal promotion-winning standard. We won the title in the end because our form didn't quite tail off as badly as several other sides, and we'd been left with a buffer to keep us above Bournemouth.

With probably a better squad under Flynn too. Was glad he didn't get the job full time but would have preferred him or even Stevie Wonder to Dickov.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 23, 2020, 12:55:53 pm by RoversAlias »
It's not all on stats though, is it? Flynn and Jones fostered a never-say-quit attitude that I really don't feel was prevalent in the Saunders era and those signings we made did make a big difference in terms of having the nous and intelligence to get over the line. I don't believe we hit the automatic promotion places until very near the end of Saunders' tenure and Flynn had a promotion push to sustain, which we did.

I think we'd have done better in the Championship with Flynn as well. Dickov did better than he should have done that season but unfortunately he just was not someone capable of being a manager at that level.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 23, 2020, 01:28:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RA.

We first hit the top 2 on 27 Nov. For most of the season up until that date, we'd played fewer matches than teams around us.

I'd beg to differ on the "never say die" approach. We were awful in the last two home games of the season, turning a pretty much nailed-on promotion into the nail-biter it became. We went into the final three weeks of the season 7 points ahead of Brentford (admittedly they had a match in hand). We ended up one arrogant tearaway from them pipping us. We had it entirely in our hands and we very nearly flunked it.

I've certainly no axe to grind for Dickov (beyond pointing out the horrific injury problems that f**ked up our season the following year) but I struggle to see the case that Flynn would have been any better.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 23, 2020, 04:17:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
Mystery nobody has ever come close to explaining is how on earth we got within minutes of staying up in Championship under Dickov and only went down on goal difference?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 23, 2020, 04:35:56 pm by RugbyRover »
I think Dickov signed some good players, mainly in defence. We had Tamas and Meite I remember.

But then he signed Sam Johnstone when we had a very capable keeper in Ross Turnbull.

SJ was a very good keeper for us but we had more obvious weaknesses in that squad. The money should have been spent strengthening the midfield.

When RW suffered that bad toe we had no one to play there, just Dean Furman and Paul Keegan lumping it aimlessly...somewhere, anywhere.

I think it was the next season when Dickov lost the plot completely.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 23, 2020, 05:15:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Dickov had a lot of support from the Board and he put a decent side together. We'd have stayed up easily if we hadn't lost the thick end of a dozen players to long term injuries.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 23, 2020, 05:21:42 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If you've heard the podcast comments from Wellens and Sharp don't put Dickov in the best light.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 23, 2020, 06:09:09 pm by scawsby steve »
I think Dickov signed some good players, mainly in defence. We had Tamas and Meite I remember.

But then he signed Sam Johnstone when we had a very capable keeper in Ross Turnbull.

SJ was a very good keeper for us but we had more obvious weaknesses in that squad. The money should have been spent strengthening the midfield.

When RW suffered that bad toe we had no one to play there, just Dean Furman and Paul Keegan lumping it aimlessly...somewhere, anywhere.

I think it was the next season when Dickov lost the plot completely.

SJ was signed because RT was injured, and Sam was a class above anyway. As regards money, Sam was on loan from Man Utd, who would have paid most of his wages.

You're right about Dickov signing good defenders though. Apart from the 2 you mentioned, there was also Khumalo and Lucas Neill.

Throw in Billy Sharp and Richie Wellens's contract extension, and it becomes clear that Dickov made some very good signings during that Championship season.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 23, 2020, 09:22:43 pm by RugbyRover »
If you've heard the podcast comments from Wellens and Sharp don't put Dickov in the best light.

Just spent the last couple of hours listening to Billy Sharp and Ritchie Wellens. Really enjoyable. Some surprises too. Cheers

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 23, 2020, 11:45:08 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

Just spent the last couple of hours listening to Billy Sharp and Ritchie Wellens. Really enjoyable. Some surprises too. Cheers

If you're partial to a podcast I'd like to point you in the direction of Undr The Cosh. Hosted by Chris Brown & Jon Parkin. Got a load of ex Rovers on there. Jason Prices is a cracker.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 24, 2020, 08:31:15 am by RugbyRover »

If you're partial to a podcast I'd like to point you in the direction of Undr The Cosh. Hosted by Chris Brown & Jon Parkin. Got a load of ex Rovers on there. Jason Prices is a cracker.

Cheers Monkcaster  :thumbsup:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012