Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:20:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ron Flowers .....  (Read 1756 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Ron Flowers .....
« on December 31, 2020, 12:24:57 am by Draytonian III »
 ...... has been awarded a MBE in the New Years honours list, an ex Rovers junior player who’s brother and uncle played for us .
 Also Gillian Coultard has been honoured in the list

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Ron Flowers .....
« Reply #1 on December 31, 2020, 05:56:04 am by Donnywolf »
Good for him.

An Edlington man who graduated via Wath Wanderers to Wolverhampton Wanderers and England.

I seem to remember he took the Pens for England and to score all or most of them

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 31, 2020, 06:25:35 am by graingrover »
Wolf you have stirred memories by mentioning Wath Wanderers .I had forgotten their existence though it was obviously the base from which Wolves recruited youngsters in the 50’s from our area .I was 15 yrs old and went to Thorne Grammar school .We were a rugby school but two of my contemporaries at school played for Wolves Juniors in the Northern Intermediate league .Myself and another Thorne Grammar lad were in Rovers Juniors who played in that league against Wolves .I do not know at what youth level Wath Wanderers played do you ? The Northern Intermediate team definitely played as Wolves rather than Wath .Other teams were Sunderland ,Scunny ,Rotherham ,Sheff U .....but we found Wolves were a cut above the rest in that league .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 31, 2020, 09:43:06 am by Donnywolf »
Hi Graingrover

I have posted many times on here about Wath Wanderers and in fact if you search for this on here there is loads of stuff including this from me a few years back - and the links still work lol

Wath Wanderers was the Wolves hotbed of talent

I have posted this a few times and here is some more info from a year or so back

Wolverhampton provided lots of Miners into the Donny / Barnsley areas along with many others from Durham Scotland and other areas with Mines. My own family of course came from there though I am a dyed in the wool first generation Tyke !

Wolves had a "nursery Club" in Wath Wanderers and as such produced / recruited many local Players for the parent club. I will look for the thread we did a while ago on Wath Wanderers

https://www.facebook.com/Wath-Wanderers-FC-1404875066418481/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/content/articles/2005/04/25/wath_wanderers_feature.shtml

I am not sure of the League they played in nor even if they played in Old Gold (would have hoped so). I bet the answers are in the above 2 links.

I was honoured to sit next to an Edlo lad at Danum GS from 62 onwards who was Ron Flowers cousin. We were sat together alphabetically and were both JT's.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 31, 2020, 03:59:25 pm by graingrover »
Thanks Wolf for taking the trouble to point these links my way ..very interesting slice of football social history .
Bri Grainger .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012