Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 05:54:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Where does the transfer money go?  (Read 4618 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Where does the transfer money go?
« on January 16, 2021, 11:18:57 am by silent majority »
I asked this question of the club a while back, after John Marquis had left the club. I made some notes of what was said at the meeting and I've just gone back through them recently, and here's the notes I made;

John Marquis was a free transfer and left for a significant sum that was then reinvested into the clubs infrastructure and first team. I've highlighted a couple of significant points here which are relevant to today's discussions**

Those changes were;
Change and development of clubs player pathway
Training ground works and improvements, including all new equipment in the gym
Contracts offered to other players after JM left. This is a result of the wage budget being freed up.

The First Team benefits were
•   Alex Baptiste joins (August 2019)
•   Niall Ennis and Cameron John (loan/ loan then permanent)
•   Donervon Daniels (loan)
•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Jon Taylor two-year deal (August 2019)  [he was in the championship in 18/19]
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)
•   Kazaiah Sterling (loan)
•   Ben Whiteman new deal (November 2019)**
•   Tom Anderson new deal (January 2020)**
•   Fejiri Okenabirhie (January 2020)  [A fee was paid for Fejiri and he was a definite target for Darren Moore]
•    Devante Cole (January 2020)
•   Rakish Bingham (January 2020)
•   Jacob Ramsey (January 2020) [A Premier League player]

Of course the summer transfer window happened on the back of no income since March and yet this is the work the club did in that time;

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

The Academy has been restructured since JM left, with a new pathway - unfortunately the launch has been delayed because of Covid.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Re: Where does the transfer money go?
« Reply #1 on January 16, 2021, 11:23:09 am by sha66y »
That somehow may not pacify the nay sayers, can you break it down to individual payments and cross reference it to how other teams may have done things perhaps differently and less expensively....

Joking !

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 16, 2021, 11:46:40 am by drfc1951 »
Have i got this wrong, but wasnt there a substantial tax bill to pay aswell?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 16, 2021, 11:47:39 am by DonnyOsmond »
Just on the ending, what are the changes to the academy?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 16, 2021, 11:53:27 am by EasyforDennis »
Well if all that happened on the back of the transfer fee we received for JM it must have been one hell of a fee.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 16, 2021, 11:57:10 am by Branton Rover »
I’ve been going just over 40 years and to me having a club to support is the most important thing - we’ve had good/bad/indifferent boards previously then the Richardson debacle which was criminal - he was more crooked than Doncaster Council and that’s a hell of an achievement back in the 1990’s - I rate this board as the best we’ve had in all that time - men with integrity & good communication when it’s needed from Gavin - I trust them to continue to be good, honourable custodians of our club and for goodness sake please stop panicking

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 16, 2021, 12:00:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
I asked this question of the club a while back, after John Marquis had left the club. I made some notes of what was said at the meeting and I've just gone back through them recently, and here's the notes I made;

John Marquis was a free transfer and left for a significant sum that was then reinvested into the clubs infrastructure and first team. I've highlighted a couple of significant points here which are relevant to today's discussions**

Those changes were;
Contracts offered to other players after JM left. This is a result of the wage budget being freed up.

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Jon Taylor two-year deal (August 2019)  [he was in the championship in 18/19]
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)
•   Fejiri Okenabirhie (January 2020)  [A fee was paid for Fejiri and he was a definite target for Darren Moore]

Of course the summer transfer window happened on the back of no income since March and yet this is the work the club did in that time;

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

The Academy has been restructured since JM left, with a new pathway - unfortunately the launch has been delayed because of Covid.

This is a timely and well written message. You can’t though, educate pork. I tried this last year and gave up. Plenty don’t or refuse to believe that there is a set budget for players and if we want to retain our best players, we have to pay them more. Giving new deals to Whiteman and Anderson would not have come cheap. This eats into our overall budget. This means there is less to deploy on attracting new players, both in wages and on occasion, transfer fees. Because it is not a new face, don’t think that committing our better players (and giving us greater leverage in future transfer discussions) to new contracts comes cheaply. It does not.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 16, 2021, 12:02:53 pm by podrover73 »
It is a good job we have businessmen running the club and not the fans .
If it was run by the fans all they would do is buy players, and no guarantee on their suitability apart from they did well on fifa.
None of the infrastructure of the club would be in place , we would be training in a cow field with one football to share between them. 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 16, 2021, 12:05:53 pm by silent majority »

Its still there to be paid. Its a liability that the club hold and the security of the BW money will mean that if it doesn't work out for us then we should muddle through.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 16, 2021, 12:06:39 pm by silent majority »
Just on the ending, what are the changes to the academy?

To be fair I didn't expand on that in my notes so I'm not sure. I can ask the club for more info.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 16, 2021, 12:11:28 pm by Batleyred »
It is a good job we have businessmen running the club and not the fans .
If it was run by the fans all they would do is buy players, and no guarantee on their suitability apart from they did well on fifa.
None of the infrastructure of the club would be in place , we would be training in a cow field with one football to share between them.

Exactly right, it can be cringe worthy reading certain posts. Grown men playing football manager  :rtid:

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 16, 2021, 12:22:19 pm by Chris the Rover »
Thanks SM. Very illuminating. It still won’t stop the moaners though :headbang:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 16, 2021, 12:29:52 pm by roversdude »
I echo Brandon’s thoughts I have the utmost trust and respect for Gavin, the owners and the entire team at Rovers

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 16, 2021, 12:34:02 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

Those changes were;

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

Thank you for this.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 16, 2021, 12:44:13 pm by drfc1951 »

Its still there to be paid. Its a liability that the club hold and the security of the BW money will mean that if it doesn't work out for us then we should muddle through.

Thanks for that very illuminating.

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 16, 2021, 12:56:22 pm by northern soul »

Those changes were;

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

A good read, and highlights a number of points you don't immediately think about.

Thanks as always SM.

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 16, 2021, 01:04:25 pm by ss1953 »
Martin,

I'm not sure how easy this might be, but I think it would be illuminating to show how much money JR and the current owners have injected into the club. If this could include all the debt written off and debt for equity swap, even better.

Hopefully this will show all the board bashers how generous the current and past board members have been to allow us all to have the enjoyment of watching DRFC.

On my way to Donny, I look out of the train window at Darlington to see a stadium with no football team and now occupied for some peppercorn rent by the local RUFC team. Perhaps people should reflect on that.

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 16, 2021, 01:18:43 pm by niteowler »
Thanks again SM ,you are becoming a bit of a legend in your own right ! A very well written appraisal that keeps us all up to speed on the very well running of the club.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 16, 2021, 02:13:04 pm by dickos1 »

Those changes were;

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

Thanks martin,
Just one question from me, wouldn't some of this have come from within the original budget, ie the loan signings the Baptiste signing?
If Marquis had stayed these details would mean we wouldn’t have done any business.
Surely the budget still had funds available to sign Baptiste, ennis et al, without the need for the Marquis cash

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 16, 2021, 02:21:26 pm by Retdon1 »

Those changes were;

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

Thanks martin,
Just one question from me, wouldn't some of this have come from within the original budget, ie the loan signings the Baptiste signing?
If Marquis had stayed these details would mean we wouldn’t have done any business.
Surely the budget still had funds available to sign Baptiste, ennis et al, without the need for the Marquis cash

Especially with big earners like Rowe and Williams leaving

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 16, 2021, 03:43:19 pm by coventryrover »
I echo most opinions.   The snap criticism is not warranted.   Be care ful as there aren't many owners like ours and fewer people willing to invest

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 16, 2021, 03:44:44 pm by Padge_DRFC »

Those changes were;

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

Most of this would have happened without it apart from the transfer fees

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 16, 2021, 03:55:17 pm by pib »
You can only generate these kinds of funds from player sales if they are permanently on your books, so it’ll be interesting to see what sorts of permanent signings DM goes after when the current cycle of contracts come to an end and we need to get numbers into the squad again.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 16, 2021, 04:39:52 pm by Michael Gibson »
Could bramall support a championship club??? I very much doubt it when they put 1-2 million in,

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 16, 2021, 04:56:29 pm by RobTheRover »
Could bramall support a championship club??? I very much doubt it when they put 1-2 million in,

He did the last 2 times we were there.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 16, 2021, 04:59:11 pm by Al4475 »
Was just gonna post something similar rob.

Lol

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 16, 2021, 05:01:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
Revenue increase from Championship is very significant, from League One.

We have to pay people more and buy talent to compete, but the money is so much better.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 16, 2021, 05:30:43 pm by GazLaz »

Those changes were;

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

Thanks for clearing that up Gavin.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 16, 2021, 05:41:26 pm by scawsby steve »

Those changes were;

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

Gavin?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 16, 2021, 06:04:38 pm by silent majority »

Those changes were;

•   Seny Dieng (loan)
•   Ben Sheaf (loan)

o   Jason Lokilo
o   Cameron John
o   Bursik/Lumley
o   Josh Sims
o   Matt Smith
o   Taylor Richards
o   Tyrece John Jules
o   Rayhaan Tulloch

Gavin?

Oh, he thinks he's being clever Steve. As it happens some of this came from a meeting with Gavin, and some of it from a meeting with Shaun. I just put it together as though it was one meeting but it was actually notes from two.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012