Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:46:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oxford United game  (Read 8309 times)

godlike1

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oxford United game
« Reply #30 on February 01, 2021, 09:59:02 pm by godlike1 »
I'm expecting DM to rotate the squad a little for this game, he mentioned how the team looked leggy on sat. I just hope he doesn't go too far as I think that would play into Oxford hands. I can imagine he may give James a rest to play Robertson there. Play Taylor on the right and drop wright (although harsh) maybe drop simeo's for lokilo although until he tired on sat I thought he was doing ok.

Tough choices but am sure DM will throw something in the mix that leaves us baffled until the end where we scratch our heads saying what a tactical genius he is

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 01, 2021, 10:25:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
If there was one guy that looked leggy, it was Fej and how do we rest him at the moment? Maybe DM will tell him to rest up and miss training for a couple of days? I can see Halliday dropping back to right back, with Taylor in front of him and that balances the right side. I can’t see DM partnering Smith with Robertson in the defensive 2, but James deserves some time out, with all the running he’s doing. Until Bostock is right, I think James will sit in there again (although he has covered on that left side of midfield before and that could be a change, with Gomes partnering Smith).

The problem area is the left side, with Simoes. He tried to cover when he didn’t have the ball, but he wasn’t that much help to CJ, as he almost seemed to be too far away from his man. I’d put Gomes in his place, despite my comment in brackets, above, as he loves to get up and down the pitch. I think the penny will drop with Simoes, but it’ll take time.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 02, 2021, 01:39:02 am by SydneyRover »
Everyone wants game time in a winning side Alan

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 02, 2021, 08:28:41 am by 1879Rovers »
They are after around four players today. They are also being linked with former Man City kid Brandon Barker who is now at Rangers.

They did sign four players including Brandon Barker.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 02, 2021, 09:23:25 am by i_ateallthepies »
I'm expecting DM to rotate the squad a little for this game, he mentioned how the team looked leggy on sat. I just hope he doesn't go too far as I think that would play into Oxford hands. I can imagine he may give James a rest to play Robertson there. Play Taylor on the right and drop wright (although harsh) maybe drop simeo's for lokilo although until he tired on sat I thought he was doing ok.

Tough choices but am sure DM will throw something in the mix that leaves us baffled until the end where we scratch our heads saying what a tactical genius he is

Don't understand why you would propose dropping Wright in a discussion on resting players.  He's only just returned from a good rest and the only player who could replace him - Halliday - was showing signs of fatigue in the last game.  Surely he is the one of those two needing the rest?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 02, 2021, 11:27:26 am by IDM »
If we were playing tonight then the points about resting players are valid.  That we have a whole week in between games means that unless carrying injuries, those players should be well rested for Saturday.

However we have lots of games this month so I would not be surprised to see rotations and/or early ish subs.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 02, 2021, 12:03:39 pm by redandwhitearmy »
If we win on Saturday then I think I will REALLY start to believe! Another really tough game on paper. Three points would be huge.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 02, 2021, 07:48:32 pm by selby »
  The last time I looked Oxford were well on their way to another win v Wimbledon being 2-0 up with a team that shows a number of changes from Saturday.
  Looks like we will have to become the party poopers to stop a long list of victories by a very in form Oxford side.
  Very much not beyond us though, and we have a habit of being party poopers.
  Accrington 3-1 up v Bristol Rovers   Portsmouth 1-0 up v Charlton
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:06:21 pm by selby »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 02, 2021, 08:12:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
4-1 up

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 02, 2021, 08:36:00 pm by drfchound »
  The last time I looked Oxford were well on their way to another win v Wimbledon being 2-0 up with a team that shows a number of changes from Saturday.
  Looks like we will have to become the party poopers to stop a long list of victories by a very in form Oxford side.
  Very much not beyond us though, and we have a habit of being party poopers.
  Accrington 3-1 up v Bristol Rovers   Portsmouth 1-0 up v Charlton

To be honest selby, I would have expected Oxford to put out a much changed team tonight as they are playing in the pizza cup.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 02, 2021, 09:14:33 pm by scawsby steve »
Where the f*ck have I been this season? I didn't know they'd signed Sam Winnall on a permanent.

Scored 2 tonight.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 02, 2021, 11:03:36 pm by selby »
  I admire your guts lads trying to pick the side to play on Saturday and matching what team Darren picks, do you all do the lottery?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 03, 2021, 08:03:14 am by selby »
 Nick Syd, in my opinion a bang average manager can have a decent record when at the level his teams perform at have the luxury of being constantly some of the best financed squads in the division they are in.
  And that's how I see Robinson who has always had the benefit of funds available, as the last week shows again with the number of  acquisitions for Oxford, always meddling always changing.
  He has a decent record, by no means that outstanding considering the money he has had at his disposal at all his clubs, and the attraction to players those clubs have especially the wages, would I employ him as a manager, No, there are far better with worse records but have achieved a lot more with less.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 03, 2021, 09:55:13 am by idler »
That’s how I see him Selby. He comes across as the big I am in his interviews for me.
 Darren Moore shows far more humility but seems to have achieved more and it’s always more about the players and the club than himself in his interviews.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 03, 2021, 10:35:58 am by selby »
I am sure that the Charlton side were under instructions by the management in 2017 to take Coppinger out of the game, as in the 9 minutes he was on the pitch they did a roll up on him and had him off with an unpunished sending off tackle in the centre circle early doors.
 Taylor Richards will get the same treatment on Saturday when he collects the ball if things repeat, stopping his runs in the middle of the park away from danger, a signature of his teams wherever he has been, and we need a strong referee who is up to the off the ball and cynical fouls his teams employ in those areas.
  Oxfords right back in our away game last season wanted his leg breaking, as he spent most of the game trying to do it to our lads and got away with it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:39:03 am by selby »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 03, 2021, 05:24:52 pm by the vicar »
I know Oxford won last night but I was not impressed by them

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 03, 2021, 05:27:56 pm by the vicar »
But all it takes is for us to have a an off day

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 03, 2021, 06:06:56 pm by BobG »
Or Oxford to have the same luck we had last weekend....

BobG

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 03, 2021, 06:42:23 pm by Chris the Rover »
No luck last weekend Bob......resolute defending and outstanding goalkeeping  :thumbsup:

Grouchy_Git

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 04, 2021, 09:24:26 am by Grouchy_Git »
I know Oxford won last night but I was not impressed by them
3-1, hit the woodwork 3 times and played some who haven’t appeared recently. Saving themselves for Saturday?

Grouchy_Git

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 04, 2021, 09:28:02 am by Grouchy_Git »
No luck last weekend Bob......resolute defending and outstanding goalkeeping  :thumbsup:
Two saves from Balcombe, he won the game.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 05, 2021, 12:01:26 pm by selby »
  Both teams have signed a number of new players  to strengthen their squad for the second half  of the season, with Oxford already giving a couple a run out in their game v Wimbledon who did well in the game and impressed the fans.
 Pre game talk about our new signings suggest that The Rovers are more likely to bring them in slowly rather than drop them straight in, but would anyone put money on it as Darren played players who had just got off the bus in Waterdale the first game of the season.
  Oxford fans however on their forum seem to expect changes and the new signings to play despite their record breaking run of wins, which would be hard on the players that achieved that particular mile stone.
  An interesting conundrum do the sides bring in new players signed just last week and possibly disrupt teams that have been playing well anyway and possibly bring a couple on as substitutes, or go the whole hog and pick the new players straight away after signing.
  At least we have not got long to wait to find out the two managers decisions.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 05, 2021, 12:14:24 pm by steve@dcfd »
Both Sims and Bostock shown training with the first team in a video on twitter today it will be interesting if they are in the match day squad. The difficult decision for DM is which fit outfield loanee he leaves out of the match day squad to accommodate Sims, so he will have be sure he is ready to play.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 05, 2021, 12:29:33 pm by Alan Southstand »
He’ll not risk Sims. He has to be 100% sure he’s ready to go.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 05, 2021, 02:48:34 pm by steve@dcfd »
Just read DM’s comments I do not believe Sims will be read yet but Bostock is close.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 06, 2021, 09:53:44 am by selby »
  Another thing being thrown into the mix in what is already an intriguing fixture is with the weather situation, quite a few fixtures will do well to be completed today if this amount of rain is common throughout the country because of waterlogged pitches, let's hope this game is not one of them.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 06, 2021, 10:44:40 am by sha66y »
The Oxford fans seem to think that superior ball retention and passing will deliver a result...I think resolute defending and a breakaway goal may suffice, ...we don’t have to try to over-power technically better players, we have to absorb and reinvest our energies.....

But I feel we may end up on the wrong end of a 2 niler if we attempt to play them off the park....

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 06, 2021, 12:03:14 pm by selby »
  The ref will be the biggest influence, Robinson has always used the tactical foul to stop the other team breaking.
 He always employs a sitting defensive mid fielder who does the dirty stuff with the central defenders, running straight at them can expose them, and cause them a lot of trouble with the referee. Taylor Simoes  and Lokilo can upset them and put them on a tight rope if they are clever and brave enough to take them on and go for the byline.
  As for them footballing us off the field teams have only been able to do that in front of us this season, very rarely getting in behind, and have slipped up against us on quite a few occasions when we have stepped in and been direct through their lines in attack hence the number of goals we have scored from shots from outside the area stepping in on mis placed passes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:17:55 pm by selby »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 06, 2021, 12:11:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
Photo on Twitter from Liam pitch looks perfect for us to play our football and break quick. Will be a good game from two sides who have good form at the moment.

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 06, 2021, 12:30:39 pm by ss1953 »
What’s the weather like in Donny. Forecast looks bad with heavy rain.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012