Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 05:17:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why can't the club keep managers?  (Read 8582 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Why can't the club keep managers?
« Reply #30 on March 01, 2021, 02:32:17 pm by since-1969 »
Fergie quit for no job
Mcann left for a basket case and got relegated.
Moore has left for a basket case, and will get relegated.

Not beyond the realms of possibility to wonder if more than meets the eye is occuring.
Could the insistence in 1 year rolling contracts be a contributing factor?
I’ve said it on here before , we are  pot less and in that I mean we are on a very short shoe string and managers need to explore options but the DRFC can’t or won’t put the finances at risk and any manager who is ambitious won’t come here !!

And not for the first time you'd be wrong.
Ever since John Ryan left along with the Championship the club has been heading  in a different direction. . This direction has its put falls as teams with larger fan bases develop and attract better players , DRFC are reliant on loans . Covid has levelled the platform this season for a few clubs and our present position in the league shows that we’re still in with a shout of the playoffs because of this .
Darren Moore left because the opportunity came just like McCann for it’s better to get your feet under the table with a bigger club that’s going backwards in the short term , than stay with a small backwards club thats struggling in going forward!  DRFC are always going to be useful to a manager who wants to keep his hand in but that’s as much as we can expect from a board who won’t try and climb  without a safety net .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 01, 2021, 03:03:26 pm by idler »
Fergie quit for no job

Not beyond the realms of possibility to wonder if more than meets the eye is occuring.
I’ve said it on here before , we are  pot less and in that I mean we are on a very short shoe string and managers need to explore options but the DRFC can’t or won’t put the finances at risk and any manager who is ambitious won’t come here !!

Ever since John Ryan left along with the Championship the club has been heading  in a different direction. . This direction has its put falls as teams with larger fan bases develop and attract better players , DRFC are reliant on loans . Covid has levelled the platform this season for a few clubs and our present position in the league shows that we’re still in with a shout of the playoffs because of this .
Darren Moore left because the opportunity came just like McCann for it’s better to get your feet under the table with a bigger club that’s going backwards in the short term , than stay with a small backwards club thats struggling in going forward!  DRFC are always going to be useful to a manager who wants to keep his hand in but that’s as much as we can expect from a board who won’t try and climb  without a safety net .
What exactly do you want them to do?
Nobody has actually come to the club wanting to throw money in to add to the £2 million or so the current board do most years. Sheffield Wednesday’s last few owners haven’t achieved much. Then there’s Birmingham,Notts Forest, Derby and a few more not exactly doing too well despite supposed serious investment.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 01, 2021, 03:13:47 pm by ravenrover »
The one thing our managers have proved is that they can work within a limited budget and that surely is the appeal to so called bigger clubs
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:15:31 pm by ravenrover »

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 01, 2021, 03:24:06 pm by elmsallrover »
  Agents getting a slice has a lot to do with movement of managers and players.
  Add in this case a club grasping at straws spending money they haven't got again, and the fact our manager has done well and they have not got anything right for 25 years.
  We as a club get two sorts of managers, the ones that do well and other clubs want, and rarely nowadays poor ones we get rid of.
  Lets say Moore stopped and actually got us up, what future would he have? we can't compete if there is a cap at that level never mind without one, so if he got lucky one survival year then the chop and he is  out of work possibly, and after the last two years at least we control whether we have a manager in place for the start of next season, and hopefully will not be scrambling about again to get a team and  a manager in place before the start of next season.
  He might as well go for the money now and risk it, I wish him well, have confidence in Andy Butler, as a club we are what we are.
DM is taking a massive risk with his career taking this job Brian. He could be out of work in 4/5 weeks.

Will he ever get a decent job again if he gets sacked at Wednesday.
yes he will we all know he's going to end up at the fa doesn't matter how good or bad a manager he is

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 01, 2021, 03:37:06 pm by Filo »
Fergie quit for no job

You don’t half spout some shite!!!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 01, 2021, 03:53:58 pm by wilts rover »
Fergie quit for no job

We were badly relegated from the Championship with Ryan and McKay's experiment.

He had left when we were promoted with Flynn at Brentford and relegated on the last day of the following season due to a poor foul at Leicester and an injury time goal at Bolton.

Dunno why you bother to support a backwards club.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 01, 2021, 04:02:45 pm by aidanstu »
I think the answer is simple; we are reaping what we sow.

We are a small club with a very limited budget that has a recruitment strategy of shortermism.

As a manager coming in you are going to want to use the clubs as a stepping stone; what else can you do when you only have a one year contract? Any employee would jump ship for a more lucrative, longer term contract. I don't blame DM at all.

What compounds the situation is that no manger since SOD left has been given the resources to build a team, the short term contracts and overuse of the loan systems simply don't allow it to happen. In essence it's a rebuilding job every year/ every transfer window and an environment that any manager os going to find it difficult to thrive in.

The model that the club are employing maybe financially viable but it is one that has seen our last 2 two managers leave, countless players use the revolving door of the club and me, as a lifetime supporter, start to lose interest with feelings of disassociation. For me the club need to re-think this strategy and either start to develop youth properly or accumulate a squad of our own.

Good luck to Moore, he is certainly no snake as has been suggested elsewhere on this thread.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on March 01, 2021, 04:13:07 pm by since-1969 »
Fergie quit for no job

[/quote. Enlighten us all Mr Pastry what makes DRFC so attractive to TOP managers will queueing up to take us to the dizzy heights and spends the clubs £millions .

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 01, 2021, 04:16:16 pm by redarmy82 »

We are a small club with a very limited budget that has a recruitment strategy of shortermism.

As a manager coming in you are going to want to use the clubs as a stepping stone; what else can you do when you only have a one year contract? Any employee would jump ship for a more lucrative, longer term contract. I don't blame DM at all.

What compounds the situation is that no manger since SOD left has been given the resources to build a team, the short term contracts and overuse of the loan systems simply don't allow it to happen. In essence it's a rebuilding job every year/ every transfer window and an environment that any manager os going to find it difficult to thrive in.

The model that the club are employing maybe financially viable but it is one that has seen our last 2 two managers leave, countless players use the revolving door of the club and me, as a lifetime supporter, start to lose interest with feelings of disassociation. For me the club need to re-think this strategy and either start to develop youth properly or accumulate a squad of our own.

Good luck to Moore, he is certainly no snake as has been suggested elsewhere on this thread.

Someone talking sense at last. And Ferguson to that, and it's our last three managers who have left. Add to that Paul Dickov's comments about how the club was run not too long ago.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 01, 2021, 04:16:58 pm by Filo »
Fergie quit for no job

[/quote. Enlighten us all Mr Pastry what makes DRFC so attractive to TOP managers will queueing up to take us to the dizzy heights and spends the clubs £millions .

Us all?

There’s only you that comes up with the batshit conspiracy theories!!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 01, 2021, 04:30:30 pm by GazLaz »
They leave to double their money I’d say. Hard not to. Moore wasn’t a particularly good manager/coach. Was more gutted when GM left, he is a good manager.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 01, 2021, 04:33:01 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Its no coincidence that the last 2 managers have gone to ex-premier clubs with much larger fan bases. I would love to have been a fly on the wall hearing the sell from Alam and Chansiri, who are both successful business men, and as such are ruthless by nature. For some reason McCann is still in a job at Hull although automatic looks unlikely given form and games played. The one thing Moore won't have at Wednesday is time...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on March 01, 2021, 04:37:01 pm by Filo »
Its no coincidence that the last 2 managers have gone to ex-premier clubs with much larger fan bases. I would love to have been a fly on the wall hearing the sell from Alam and Chansiri, who are both successful business men, and as such are ruthless by nature. For some reason McCann is still in a job at Hull although automatic looks unlikely given form and games played. The one thing Moore won't have at Wednesday is time...

No one seems to know the length of contract he has got, when asked Moore said it was irrelevant , which says to me he’s got till the end of the season to prove his worth, and if that is the case it makes his decision even more baffling

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 01, 2021, 04:39:38 pm by NickDRFC »
What would you all suggest then? That we employ managers that nobody else wants?

What it shows is we can attract great managers who other clubs envy, as a LG1 club we pay well, but its never just about money.

SM, I mentioned earlier in this thread that it does highlight the downside of only offering a rolling one year contract. Given our last two managers have been poached upwards do you think the board might rethink this strategy and offer longer a longer contract to the next manager to show faith in their decision/process, or do you think they’ll continue to offer the rolling deal to mitigate the risk of it going wrong?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on March 01, 2021, 04:42:42 pm by PDX_Rover »

Hull and Wednesday are both bigger clubs. This happens in football. Players and managers go to bigger clubs.

Doesn’t mean that Rovers are doing things wrong. Far from it IMO. Some folks need to get a grip.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on March 01, 2021, 04:44:12 pm by BobG »
If finance is the decision making criterion, which it probably is Nick, then without a change in the financial base of the club, what would encourage a change in the contractual strategy? If we want that to change, why don't we all commit to the VSC to chip in a tenner a week for them to donate to the club, in return for shares, to underwrite a longer term contract for the next manager?

Cheers

BobG

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 01, 2021, 05:29:01 pm by turnbull for england »
Maybe he's just sooner get 3  years money after 6 month work when he gets the boot , than work a year for a years money 
 There's enough that seem to do it.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 01, 2021, 05:57:55 pm by NickDRFC »
If finance is the decision making criterion, which it probably is Nick, then without a change in the financial base of the club, what would encourage a change in the contractual strategy? If we want that to change, why don't we all commit to the VSC to chip in a tenner a week for them to donate to the club, in return for shares, to underwrite a longer term contract for the next manager?

Cheers

BobG

We’ve received compensation based on the fact that both McCann & Moore had a year left to run on their contract. If they’d had 18 months or 2 years left to run then we’d have received significantly more, so by having the rolling contract the club has lost out financially. As I said, having it this way limits our downside risk if things go pear shaped but we’re obviously doing something right with our managerial recruitment process so it might be worth having more faith that we’ve got it right from the outset.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 01, 2021, 06:25:33 pm by Janso »

Cheers

BobG

We’ve received compensation based on the fact that both McCann & Moore had a year left to run on their contract. If they’d had 18 months or 2 years left to run then we’d have received significantly more, so by having the rolling contract the club has lost out financially. As I said, having it this way limits our downside risk if things go pear shaped but we’re obviously doing something right with our managerial recruitment process so it might be worth having more faith that we’ve got it right from the outset.

On the other hand, every single day they had a year to go. Fixed term contracts come with the risk of the manager running them down and getting less, if any, compensation.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 01, 2021, 06:29:07 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
At the end of the day with managers it doesn't massively matter. If they want to leave they'll leave.  Money or not if they don't want to be here let them go. You don't keep unhappy people.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 01, 2021, 06:32:12 pm by dickos1 »
The last 3 managers have left because they wanted to be at clubs that could spend more money on better players than we can.
That’s no criticism of anyone but it’s just a fact.
Mccann has proved that by signing players he wanted to sign for us

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 01, 2021, 06:45:55 pm by tyke1962 »
Doncaster Rovers come across as a very ambitious club with championship aspirations .

What they aren't is stupid , stupid enough to bankrupt the club with their ambitions .

The thing is they don't have to put themselves in financial jeopardy to get promoted to the championship , good coaching and astute recruitment will do the job , league one isn't the PL or the championship .

The club seem to have done the very best they could do in backing Darren Moore given the present financial status at the club .

I think they are entitled to feel let down right now .

Just to repeat Doncaster Rovers doesn't come across as an un-ambitious club , absolutely not .

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 01, 2021, 06:48:26 pm by Getridorit »
What would you all suggest then? That we employ managers that nobody else wants?

What it shows is we can attract great managers who other clubs envy, as a LG1 club we pay well, but its never just about money.

We attract them yes, but the point I was making was why can't we keep them?

If it's not just about the money, then what other factor makes them jump ship, for opportunities less than ideal?

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 01, 2021, 06:52:15 pm by Getridorit »

It may be financially viable, and as you say it doesn't work in a football perspective.

Really could do with a football person on the board I think
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:54:31 pm by Getridorit »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 01, 2021, 07:16:15 pm by scawsby steve »

Where were you 2 seasons ago when we reached the play-offs and should have got to Wembley? In a f*cking coma?

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 01, 2021, 07:20:42 pm by Getridorit »

Great Post, and some home truths there.
Best Post I've read today on this matter.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on March 01, 2021, 07:30:47 pm by silent majority »

It may be financially viable, and as you say it doesn't work in a football perspective.

Really could do with a football person on the board I think

A football person on the board?

What does that mean, and what difference would that make? What constitutes a football person?

I just think its an easy statement to trot out, but it means nothing.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 01, 2021, 07:31:54 pm by aidanstu »

Where were you 2 seasons ago when we reached the play-offs and should have got to Wembley? In a f*cking coma?

I can’t figure out quite why you have taken that tone with me but in doing  so you made me think about how many of the squad who played in that semi at Charlton are actually with the club now; the answer is 4; Cops and butler started and Wright and Anderson were on the bench. (Butler left and come back and both are out of contract this year.

That means that everyone in the first team  could have left within 2 years and Wright is out of contract in the summer.   Oh and we have had 2 managers leave since as well. It goes some way to making my point don’t you think?

Do you not get sick of supporting a team of loanees and players on short term
Contracts?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 01, 2021, 07:41:04 pm by Campsall rover »
We have some great supporters don’t we.

Seriously I don’t know why they bother. We are such a basket case of a club aren’t we.

Give me strength.  :headbang:  Go and support Wednesday then you would seriously have something to complain about.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 01, 2021, 07:50:14 pm by aidanstu »
We have some great supporters don’t we.

Seriously I don’t know why they bother. We are such a basket case of a club aren’t we.

Give me strength.  :headbang:  Go and support Wednesday then you would seriously have something to complain about.

I’ve supported the club since 1986; been a season ticket holder and seen a lot Of ups and downs. I have a right to express my views.

A Football club, like any other business, will struggle to progress and prosper without stability and brand loyalty. I think you’d struggle to identify any club or business that has achieved without those two foundations.

Football is about being able to identify with the brand, with players and managers and getting behind “your team”.

Given the business model Doncaster are currently employing what is it that your actually supporting?

Whilst you may have valid counter argument it’s a reality that the model is making me
Fall out of love with the club and I doubt that I’m the only one. It’s easy to say go and support another club; I couldn’t do that but something is going wrong to make supporters feel so disenfranchised.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:52:47 pm by aidanstu »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012