Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 07:46:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Squad for next season  (Read 12309 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Squad for next season
« Reply #30 on March 06, 2021, 06:00:51 pm by ravenrover »
Surely the time for this discussion is when contract talks have begun and we find out which players have accepted and which haven't. Everything till then is opinion and speculation

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 06, 2021, 06:07:31 pm by aidanstu »
In another thread I raised my concern about, the failure of the club to ensure our better players  are on longer contracts, the constant need to rebuild the team and how, as a supporter, it is difficult to be a fan of a team that is constantly being overhauled.

Whilst some contracts may get sorted and there are options of extensions with some, this. As far as I can make out, is the current squad for next season.

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

Two of these players aren’t regular starters and the manager is also out of contract in the summer. I get shot down by many for critiquing the board but surely people understand my thinking, even in terms of sellable assets we would be lucky if we could get 1m for those players combined.

This business model really does bother me and as i have said elsewhere, in my view, you can’t build any successful business with such a transient core of key staff and management. If anyone can name any sports team that have used this system and achieved I’d be willing to hear it..

I do understand the financial difficulties the board face but there are other ways of developing g a team that encourage growth without the short termism. Barnsley and Burnley being great examples.

In that case, why don't you do us all a favour and go and support Barnsley.

You'll not be missed on this forum with your constant whining.

It’s not whining it’s genuine concern; just because you don’t have the foresight and are unable to offer a reasoned debate doesn't me I can’t do likewise.

One day, when this goes belly up, I hope you reflect on this discussion in a different light.

If we finish in the top 6 this season, which is the board's remit, I hope you reflect on this discussion in a different light.

And this is the difference between how I think and how you think. I don’t really care, to a point, where we finish in the short term, of course I would prefer success, but not at all costs.

If we go up next season we have to rebuild only having 8 currently contracted players, 3 of which don’t get in the first 11. That isn’t a foundation for entering one of the toughest leagues in the world.

If we go up we will some how have to find, between now and then, circa 15 players capable of playing at championship level. What do you reckon our chances of staying up year on year, or progressing further in those circumstances? We are destined to be a yo-yo club that develop youth for other teams and never progress from that due to the fact we receive nothing/ next to nothing for the few players we do have contracted.

You and I base success on different measures; this isn’t. As much as you may want it to be, a sustainable solution. You reflect the “I want it now” element of society where as I belive in steady, sustainable growth.

I’ve asked the question 3 times and not had one answer yet...can anyone name a sporting team that have  achieved sustainable success from using this model?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 06:10:10 pm by aidanstu »

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 06, 2021, 06:11:40 pm by aidanstu »
Surely the time for this discussion is when contract talks have begun and we find out which players have accepted and which haven't. Everything till then is opinion and speculation

Each of those players could walk away In the summer as of January; surely you are not advocating allowing the contracts for these players to run down.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 06, 2021, 06:28:33 pm by scawsby steve »
In another thread I raised my concern about, the failure of the club to ensure our better players  are on longer contracts, the constant need to rebuild the team and how, as a supporter, it is difficult to be a fan of a team that is constantly being overhauled.

Whilst some contracts may get sorted and there are options of extensions with some, this. As far as I can make out, is the current squad for next season.

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

Two of these players aren’t regular starters and the manager is also out of contract in the summer. I get shot down by many for critiquing the board but surely people understand my thinking, even in terms of sellable assets we would be lucky if we could get 1m for those players combined.

This business model really does bother me and as i have said elsewhere, in my view, you can’t build any successful business with such a transient core of key staff and management. If anyone can name any sports team that have used this system and achieved I’d be willing to hear it..

I do understand the financial difficulties the board face but there are other ways of developing g a team that encourage growth without the short termism. Barnsley and Burnley being great examples.

It’s not whining it’s genuine concern; just because you don’t have the foresight and are unable to offer a reasoned debate doesn't me I can’t do likewise.

One day, when this goes belly up, I hope you reflect on this discussion in a different light.

If we finish in the top 6 this season, which is the board's remit, I hope you reflect on this discussion in a different light.

And this is the difference between how I think and how you think. I don’t really care, to a point, where we finish in the short term, of course I would prefer success, but not at all costs.

If we go up next season we have to rebuild only having 8 currently contracted players, 3 of which don’t get in the first 11. That isn’t a foundation for entering one of the toughest leagues in the world.

If we go up we will some how have to find, between now and then, circa 15 players capable of playing at championship level. What do you reckon our chances of staying up year on year, or progressing further in those circumstances? We are destined to be a yo-yo club that develop youth for other teams and never progress from that due to the fact we receive nothing/ next to nothing for the few players we do have contracted.

You and I base success on different measures; this isn’t. As much as you may want it to be, a sustainable solution. You reflect the “I want it now” element of society where as I belive in steady, sustainable growth.

I’ve asked the question 3 times and not had one answer yet...can anyone name a sporting team that have  achieved sustainable success from using this model?

Steady, sustainable growth into what? An average mid-table team with a full squad of average players all on big contracts?

If you'd any knowledge of the game at all, you'd realise that no club of our size and stature can achieve success without loans.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 06, 2021, 06:37:08 pm by aidanstu »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

You and I base success on different measures; this isn’t. As much as you may want it to be, a sustainable solution. You reflect the “I want it now” element of society where as I believe in steady, sustainable growth.

Steady, sustainable growth into what? An average mid-table team with a full squad of average players all on big contracts?

If you'd any knowledge of the game at all, you'd realise that no club of our size and stature can achieve success without loans.

If you had any football knowledge at all you’d realise that Barnsley, whose system I’m advocating, have 1 player currently on loan and have just won 7 on the bounce.

Not only that they have made millions from players they have sold on.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 06, 2021, 07:00:34 pm by scawsby steve »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

You and I base success on different measures; this isn’t. As much as you may want it to be, a sustainable solution. You reflect the “I want it now” element of society where as I believe in steady, sustainable growth.

If you had any football knowledge at all you’d realise that Barnsley, whose system I’m advocating, have 1 player currently on loan and have just won 7 on the bounce.

Have you not noticed the difference in average attendances between Barnsley and ourselves over the past 30 odd years? That's the reason that they're a bigger club than us.

What's the obsession with them? Like I said, go and support them. It's only 20 minutes down the road, and you're clearly not happy being a Rovers supporter.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 06, 2021, 07:06:06 pm by aidanstu »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

Have you not noticed the difference in average attendances between Barnsley and ourselves over the past 30 odd years? That's the reason that they're a bigger club than us.

What's the obsession with them? Like I said, go and support them. It's only 20 minutes down the road, and you're clearly not happy being a Rovers supporter.

Do you wonder why they have been able to get those attendances despite being a smaller town?

If you’re not able to recognise that they have a system that works, is built on development of their own players and the selling of them for profit then we are never going to agree. That’s ok.

You don’t have to resort to insult or telling me to
Support a different club just because I don’t agree with you or what the board are doing. That’s just childish.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 06, 2021, 07:24:26 pm by scawsby steve »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

Do you wonder why they have been able to get those attendances despite being a smaller town?

If you’re not able to recognise that they have a system that works, is built on development of their own players and the selling of them for profit then we are never going to agree. That’s ok.

Support a different club just because I don’t agree with you or what the board are doing. That’s just childish.

Yes, because the only things the majority of Donny folk are interested in are the the Racecourse and boozers.

Incidently, where you at Oakwell on our last visit there, when our badly run team played their fabulously run team off the park?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on March 06, 2021, 07:27:16 pm by ravenrover »

Each of those players could walk away In the summer as of January; surely you are not advocating allowing the contracts for these players to run down.
How on earth do you manage to interpret what I said as that? Those players who are out of contract in the summer and set on leaving will have had their agents sussing out options since the start of the season never mind in the next few months, pre contract agreements could have been agreed already for all you or I know Wait to see what happens when the discussions start then we'll know who was set on leaving, if any

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 06, 2021, 07:27:23 pm by aidanstu »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

Yes, because the only things the majority of Donny folk are interested in are the the Racecourse and boozers.

Incidently, where you at Oakwell on our last visit there, when our badly run team played their fabulously run team off the park?

What’s that got to do with anything? So you base your entire view on how well a club is ran based in the last results against each team?

On that  logic we are worse ran that Sunderland, fleetwood, Oldham and Wigan
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:44:19 pm by aidanstu »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 06, 2021, 07:28:23 pm by Campsall rover »

John
Bostock
Williams
Boggle

Go belly up.

It is because we operate this way that our club is on a far more sound financial footing than 90% of other EFL clubs.
But I don’t expect you to understand that. You obviously have blinkers on and can’t see that to be a healthy club you need to control your expenditure. Especially in the current situation when there is no match day revenue whatsoever.
Any one would think we have been scrapping at the wrong end of the table over the last 3 years.
It seems to me we are very good doing exactly what we do.

Now if you were a Wednesday fan you really would have something genuine to moan about.

Just be careful what you wish for.  We are very lucky indeed to support such a well run club. Very lucky indeed.   :that:

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 06, 2021, 07:31:22 pm by aidanstu »

How on earth do you manage to interpret what I said as that? Those players who are out of contract in the summer and set on leaving will have had their agents sussing out options since the start of the season never mind in the next few months, pre contract agreements could have been agreed already for all you or I know Wait to see what happens when the discussions start then we'll know who was set on leaving, if any

Or maybe they will leave simply because fuller discussion have not been held earlier leaving players with certain futures. This would be reflective of what Moore was talking about.

Players are human and want their futures secured. If we hadn’t of let the contracts run down then they couldn’t of entered into pre-contract discussions.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on March 06, 2021, 07:39:15 pm by ravenrover »
I could give you a one word answer to that, but I wont

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 06, 2021, 07:45:46 pm by aidanstu »
I could give you a one word answer to that, but I wont

Was it “true”?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on March 06, 2021, 08:22:43 pm by ravenrover »
Certainly got 2 vowels in it

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 06, 2021, 08:26:56 pm by aidanstu »

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on March 06, 2021, 08:48:28 pm by Al4475 »
Purely out of interest which players have had contracts that have run down and have left haven't been replaced by better?

I ask as I'm even unsure who's contract has run down over the last few years.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 06, 2021, 09:00:24 pm by aidanstu »
Purely out of interest which players have had contracts that have run down and have left haven't been replaced by better?

I think you’re missing my point. Some great players have left on free transfers that should have demanded a fee. That’s my point.

We then replace a lot of the squad with loan players who we have no way of financially benefitting from at all.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on March 06, 2021, 09:20:30 pm by ravenrover »
Who are these great players who left for free? How much have we lost in transfer fees?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 06, 2021, 09:26:20 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Sadlier, Rowe, Andrew for starters

Going back further Paul Green comes to mind.

But I don’t blame the club in the slightest, If a player wants to run a contact down he can. We have picked up many excellent players ourselves that way.

Swings and roundabouts

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on March 06, 2021, 09:33:32 pm by tyke1962 »
If I may guys .

The lad Aidan has some solid points in my opinion .

With respect he's looking beyond the present results and trying to find a place for Doncaster Rovers in the Championship and sustain that level of football without mega millions to play with .

I think that's his point .

Let's say Rovers are promoted to the championship this season and then end up in the position Wycombe find themselves tonight next season .

You have to bear in mind that whilst championship football is desirable it comes without any great financial incentives , the achievement is greater than the actual prize if you are an owner of a football club business in this day and age .

At least in the PL you make £100m even if you finish rock bottom of that league .

The only flaw in Aidan's view is to factor in attendances that separate Rovers and Barnsley , I could potentially and I really do say potentially tonight but I could be watching PL football next season @ £16 a home game because they've held the prices , that's how much match day income actually matters , clearly it doesn't .

It's irrelevant in my opinion , the real bucks to growth lay in playing trading outside the PL .

I'm not saying my club have a road map by any means , we could easily fall short this season and lose five players in the summer plus the HC and have a really difficult time next season in the championship if the recruitment on the replacements isn't great .

What I will say is that that is likely to give my club a £20m transfer budget next summer so you'd imagine we'd have half a chance of at least sustaining championship football on an a £12m turnover .

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 06, 2021, 09:37:54 pm by aidanstu »
Who are these great players who left for free? How much have we lost in transfer fees?

Off of the top of my head, players who could have demanded a fee but went for free include

Marosi
Sadlier
Watters
Blair
May
Andrew
Rowe
Crawford
McCullough
Baudry

Add to that the players who could walk this season and that’s a hefty chinch of cash.

Waters is a bit different but given what he has achieved since leaving here it’s obvious his development was frustrated by the loans we have had in. It’s a case in point really.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 06, 2021, 09:44:48 pm by aidanstu »
If I may guys .

With respect he's looking beyond the present results and trying to find a place for Doncaster Rovers in the Championship and sustain that level of football without mega millions to play with .

Let's say Rovers are promoted to the championship this season and then end up in the position Wycombe find themselves tonight next season .

You have to bear in mind that whilst championship football is desirable it comes without any great financial incentives , the achievement is greater than the actual prize if you are an owner of a football club business in this day and age .

At least in the PL you make £100m even if you finish rock bottom of that league .

The only flaw in Aidan's view is to factor in attendances that separate Rovers and Barnsley , I could potentially and I really do say potentially tonight but I could be watching PL football next season @ £16 a home game because they've held the prices , that's how much match day income actually matters , clearly it doesn't .

It's irrelevant in my opinion , the real bucks to growth lay in playing trading outside the PL .

I'm not saying my club have a road map by any means , we could easily fall short this season and lose five players in the summer plus the HC and have a really difficult time next season in the championship if the recruitment on the replacements isn't great .

What I will say is that that is likely to give my club a £20m transfer budget next summer so you'd imagine we'd have half a chance of at least sustaining championship football on an a £12m turnover .

I like this guy; I might take up Steve’s offer of transferring allegiances

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 06, 2021, 09:48:48 pm by wilts rover »

I think you’re missing my point. Some great players have left on free transfers that should have demanded a fee. That’s my point.

We then replace a lot of the squad with loan players who we have no way of financially benefitting from at all.

So have a lot of dross who we have replaced with better with the wages that freed up.

Lincoln currently have 5 players on loan - Rochdale 4. Why would you prefer to be Rocdale more than Lincoln?

Accrington have 9.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 06, 2021, 09:54:47 pm by aidanstu »

So have a lot of dross who we have replaced with better with the wages that freed up.

Lincoln currently have 5 players on loan - Rochdale 4. Why would you prefer to be Rocdale more than Lincoln?

Accrington have 9.

It’s one thing to let the dros go; it’s criminal for a club being ran on a budget to let the better of those players run down their contracts and leave for nothing.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 06, 2021, 10:03:39 pm by wilts rover »
If I may guys .

There are a few teams in our league Tyke who recently got that £100m for being in the PL. One of them is currently in the bottom 4.

Similary Huddersfield were there only a couple of seasons ago. Not helping them much either.

Wednesday, Forrest, Derby, Birmingham - you would think that they all should be teams we shoulss aspire to be like - but at least one of them is likely to be relegated this season.

There are no guarantees in football other than several teams get relegated and several more promoted each season. And you are more likely to be among the former if your club is badly run.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 06, 2021, 10:05:46 pm by wilts rover »

Accrington have 9.

It’s one thing to let the dros go; it’s criminal for a club being ran on a budget to let the better of those players run down their contracts and leave for nothing.

Its even more criminal for a team run on a budget to give long contracts to players who  are not good enough.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on March 06, 2021, 10:06:31 pm by idler »
I thought that we got a small fee for Alfie May?
I don't think that McCullough and Baudry would have fetched much given their injury record to be fair.
We also made a fortune on free agent Richie Wellens.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 06, 2021, 10:08:49 pm by aidanstu »
I’m not sure you could accuse Barnsley of being badly ran; their net transfer fees are massively higher than most other clubs in the country and they are growing at the same time as a club; this is exactly why I like their model.

They don’t spend millions breaking the bank, the model is sustainable but progressive. What’s not to like; if they go up and get relegated they will have made a few Bob and have sellable assists. Us in the other hand won’t.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 06, 2021, 10:13:20 pm by aidanstu »

Accrington have 9.

Its even more criminal for a team run on a budget to give long contracts to players who  are not good enough.

Whose advocating that? What’s wrong with putting your better players on longer contracts so, if and when they are sold, like Whiteman (although ridiculously undervalued like Marquis and Sharp) we get a fee.

All I’m asking for is that, a core of our own players and  a small number of loan players, if necessary, to actually improve the team and not simply block the progression of our youth.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012