Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 07:12:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Squad for next season  (Read 12296 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Squad for next season
« Reply #90 on March 12, 2021, 01:16:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There are literally dozens of current football boards who do things completely differently, and are much more successful.

Where on earth to begin...?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on March 12, 2021, 01:18:24 pm by Getridorit »

Of course but with a player who clearly doesn’t want to stay like Sadlier then surely it is better to facilitate a move before he can move on for free.

Yeah, makes sense, aidanstu

How on earth does the club "faciiltate a move" for a player?
pretty much what we did with Whiteman.
Give him a longer contract so we can sell him later.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on March 12, 2021, 01:18:53 pm by Getridorit »
There are literally dozens of current football boards who do things completely differently, and are much more successful.

Where on earth to begin...?

Go on then....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on March 12, 2021, 01:21:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We are in fifth place in this division. We are a little bit above our historical average league position. There literally AREN'T dozens of boards doing things completely different and being more successful are there? Unless you are talking about clubs many times the size of ours in the divisions above, in which case your post is meaningless.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on March 12, 2021, 01:23:44 pm by Getridorit »
We are in fifth place in this division. We are a little bit above our historical average league position. There literally AREN'T dozens of boards doing things completely different and being more successful are there? Unless you are talking about clubs many times the size of ours in the divisions above, in which case your post is meaningless.
Im talking currently and historically.

So yes, dozens

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on March 12, 2021, 01:27:47 pm by ravenrover »
Go on then I'll ask it, name these dozens and when

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on March 12, 2021, 01:28:56 pm by vaya »
Im talking currently and historically.

So yes, dozens

Could you list them possibly - it would give people a chance to look into your examples.

'Dozens' so we're looking at 24+

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on March 12, 2021, 01:48:33 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Are the current drfc board some kind of god like entities where they are incapable of making mistakes?

Wow, some blinkered opinions in this thread.

For what it's worth I 100% agree with what the op is saying.
Using loan players to make the squad is just 1 step away from 'the experiment'

My group of 6 or so rovers fans is also of the same feeling, and I dare say most rovers fans on social media.

this forum is a very tiny microcosm of the rovers fan base, and not a true reflection of the current feeling.

I keep telling myself that when I see some of the posts on here.
Well unfortunately most people are living in cloud cookoo land regarding running a Football League Club.
Suggest you put your business plan together for the club.  It’s so easy criticising isn’t it when you haven’t a clue about the finances required of running the club.

Our board could walk away tomorrow. They did not have to put millions in every year do they. Don’t you think if there was a better way of running the club which wasn’t costing them money out of their own pockets year after year they would have come up with better business model.  They are building something that will last. Something that will be there for future generations. Something solid.

They are not stupid, yes I am sure they will have made some decisions which they might in hindsight done differently. They are not perfect of course.
But without them and what they have done for this club we may not have one at all.

I seriously think so many people don’t know how lucky we are to support a club that is one of the best run clubs and one of the most respected in the EFL.

Careful for what you wish for.
How do the boards at Peterborough, Barnsley, Rotherham, Luton, Wycombe, Lincoln, Oxford etc. Run their clubs?
All of similar size and ambitions.

Our board aren't some saintly god like figures that some make them out to be.

They just own and run a club. Literally like dozens of others.

We are allowed to question them if we feel like it's warranted.  As the op quite rightly does.

This loan system is hardly good long term planning with a stable squad of players.
The uncertainty of the difficult rebuild process every pre season isn't beneficial.
As a fan, it's hard to feel an affinity with a loan player over a permanent signing that's been here a few seasons.

It's not a very good comparison though is it.  Lots of those clubs have loan players and lots of them are continually selling their best players, which typically we haven't done nearly as often as those clubs.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on March 12, 2021, 01:50:16 pm by Getridorit »
 so say its less than 24. My point is still valid.
Seems like a vary small aspect of my argument is being attacked, and my wider point is being ignored.

Let me switch the word 'dozens' for 'lots'

Thanks.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on March 12, 2021, 01:58:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If you are saying lots of clubs have been more successful than us in the entire history of football, I don't think many folks will argue with you. But that doesn't really add much to a discussion.

Here's my take. If the season finished today, our club, run by the current board, with the current board's policy in recruitment and spending, would have it's 8th highest finishing position in 64 years.

But still folk want to moan.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on March 12, 2021, 02:07:59 pm by vaya »
so say its less than 24. My point is still valid.
Seems like a vary small aspect of my argument is being attacked, and my wider point is being ignored.

Let me switch the word 'dozens' for 'lots'

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure how politely asking someone to expand on their point can be construed as 'attacking'.

Irrespective, could you please go into some more detail about these multiple clubs and who they are?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:10:04 pm by vaya »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on March 12, 2021, 02:46:12 pm by silent majority »
Are the current drfc board some kind of god like entities where they are incapable of making mistakes?

My group of 6 or so rovers fans is also of the same feeling, and I dare say most rovers fans on social media.

this forum is a very tiny microcosm of the rovers fan base, and not a true reflection of the current feeling.

That's just opinionated nonsense, backed up with no detail or facts whatsoever.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on March 12, 2021, 02:54:23 pm by silent majority »

Well unfortunately most people are living in cloud cookoo land regarding running a Football League Club.
Suggest you put your business plan together for the club.  It’s so easy criticising isn’t it when you haven’t a clue about the finances required of running the club.

Our board could walk away tomorrow. They did not have to put millions in every year do they. Don’t you think if there was a better way of running the club which wasn’t costing them money out of their own pockets year after year they would have come up with better business model.  They are building something that will last. Something that will be there for future generations. Something solid.

They are not stupid, yes I am sure they will have made some decisions which they might in hindsight done differently. They are not perfect of course.
But without them and what they have done for this club we may not have one at all.

I seriously think so many people don’t know how lucky we are to support a club that is one of the best run clubs and one of the most respected in the EFL.

How do the boards at Peterborough, Barnsley, Rotherham, Luton, Wycombe, Lincoln, Oxford etc. Run their clubs?

We are allowed to question them if we feel like it's warranted.  As the op quite rightly does.

This loan system is hardly good long term planning with a stable squad of players.
The uncertainty of the difficult rebuild process every pre season isn't beneficial.
As a fan, it's hard to feel an affinity with a loan player over a permanent signing that's been here a few seasons.

You speak as if those other clubs dont have any loan players.

Lincoln have 5 - Oxford have 6. Whilst Rochdale only have 4.

Why would you prefer to be Rochdale rather than Lincoln?
My point was more aimed at the board not doing anything above and beyond what the boards of dozens of other clubs are doing.
Also that they are not immune from questioning or criticism when it's due.

Don't forget last year we had a board member jump ship at the first sign of the Pandemic and hardship.
Not great that.

A board member jumped ship because of the hardship and pandemic?

What complete nonsense! The Watson family have pumped millions into this club, and Andy stepped up to the mark when his dad passed away. He carried on for some time but it was always in memory of his dad rather than for himself and had wanted a seamless transition from one ownership to another, something he achieved. It was no surprise when he did step away and was communicated a full 12 months before it happened.

For you to post what you just did is a disgrace.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on March 12, 2021, 03:46:16 pm by BobG »
I am sooo chuffing glad I've blocked that idiot. What a load of total cobblers. Just like when he and I fell out, he makes yet more wild allegations, offers no evidence whatsoever and successfully reinforces his position as this board's biggest fathead. Jesus Christ... Tony Blair really did fail badly didnt he? 'Education, education, education'. And look at the educationally sub normal cretin we've ended up with.

BobG
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:57:53 pm by BobG »

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on March 12, 2021, 04:06:21 pm by aidanstu »

Of course but with a player who clearly doesn’t want to stay like Sadlier then surely it is better to facilitate a move before he can move on for free.

Yeah for peanuts in comparison to what he as worth.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on March 12, 2021, 04:12:23 pm by idler »
He is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for him at the time.
I'm sure that if somebody had offered more at the time we would have accepted it.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on March 12, 2021, 05:26:17 pm by ravenrover »

Yeah for peanuts in comparison to what he as worth.
How much was it as you obviously know?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on March 12, 2021, 06:00:42 pm by aidanstu »
It was around the 2 million mark as reported; he was our young captain with considerable time left on his contract who had gone on to be a first team regular in the championship. How much do you think he was worth, more
To the point how much do you think he would have gone for if he was at Peterborough ? We were robbed like we were with Marquis and everybody on this board knows it; the difference is some of us aren’t blinkered.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on March 12, 2021, 06:21:10 pm by NickDRFC »
I am sooo chuffing glad I've blocked that idiot. What a load of total cobblers. Just like when he and I fell out, he makes yet more wild allegations, offers no evidence whatsoever and successfully reinforces his position as this board's biggest fathead. Jesus Christ... Tony Blair really did fail badly didnt he? 'Education, education, education'. And look at the educationally sub normal cretin we've ended up with.

BobG

I disagree with pretty much everything Getridorit says but I think this post oversteps the mark and is really unnecessary. Surely it’s better to play the ball not the man?

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on March 12, 2021, 06:48:13 pm by Getridorit »

BobG

I disagree with pretty much everything Getridorit says but I think this post oversteps the mark and is really unnecessary. Surely it’s better to play the ball not the man?
It's OK, says more about him as an individual than me.
Same goes for the individual who called me a disgrace for expressing an opinion that differs to what we are allowed on here.

No mark Keyboard warriors.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on March 12, 2021, 06:58:09 pm by Batleyred »

BobG

Same goes for the individual who called me a disgrace for expressing an opinion that differs to what we are allowed on here.

You’re sat there laughing your knackers off, surely ?

If you weren’t pissed up up in Cardiff as you posted, I’d of thought you we’re a teenager with your posts.

:)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on March 12, 2021, 07:01:15 pm by silent majority »

BobG

Everybody's allowed an opinion, but with that freedom comes some responsibility. Posting complete and utter bile is in total ignorance of that responsibility.

No mark keyboard warrior just about sums you up.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on March 12, 2021, 07:03:42 pm by Getridorit »

BobG

You’re sat there laughing your knackers off, surely ?

If you weren’t pissed up up in Cardiff as you posted, I’d of thought you we’re a teenager with your posts.

:)
Haha  :lol:
I wish!
I'm afraid I'm a self confessed mardy old get, got a walking stick and everything!

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on March 12, 2021, 07:08:16 pm by Getridorit »

BobG

Everybody's allowed an opinion, but with that freedom comes some responsibility. Posting complete and utter bile is in total ignorance of that responsibility.

No mark keyboard warrior just about sums you up.
:lol: OK.

Pretty sure you just repeated what I said, smooth.

Anyway, peace. Life's too short for this...

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on March 12, 2021, 07:55:11 pm by Campsall rover »

BobG
Bob I wish you would say what you really thought.  Please stop sitting on the fence.  :facepalm:   :) :) :)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on March 12, 2021, 09:02:59 pm by ravenrover »
It was around the 2 million mark as reported; he was our young captain with considerable time left on his contract who had gone on to be a first team regular in the championship. How much do you think he was worth, more
To the point how much do you think he would have gone for if he was at Peterborough ? We were robbed like we were with Marquis and everybody on this board knows it; the difference is some of us aren’t blinkered.
And here was silly old me thinking the fee was undisclosed for both players, I'll have to pay more attention to your blatherings as you are obviously better informed
How do you keep a player who wants to leave even if said player is under contract at DRFC not Posh?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on March 13, 2021, 09:27:20 am by wilts rover »

You speak as if those other clubs dont have any loan players.

Lincoln have 5 - Oxford have 6. Whilst Rochdale only have 4.

Why would you prefer to be Rochdale rather than Lincoln?
My point was more aimed at the board not doing anything above and beyond what the boards of dozens of other clubs are doing.
Also that they are not immune from questioning or criticism when it's due.

Don't forget last year we had a board member jump ship at the first sign of the Pandemic and hardship.
Not great that.

So what you are saying is then - that you have hijacked a decent conversation/thread about the make-up of our squad to persue your own ageneda/vendetta against the board (which has gone on for many years under various user names) and made up rubbish that you are unable to back-up in an attempt to justify it.

Not great that.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on March 13, 2021, 11:12:38 am by aidanstu »
And here was silly old me thinking the fee was undisclosed for both players, I'll have to pay more attention to your blatherings as you are obviously better informed
How do you keep a player who wants to leave even if said player is under contract at DRFC not Posh?

Ok so what do you think a player of his Calibre would be worth?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on March 13, 2021, 11:13:37 am by Chris Black come back »
Plenty of people look on enviously at Peterborough and the transfer fees they have brought in from players over recent years. Nobody stopped and thought that it hasn’t done them any good? They are a club with comparable gates to us (a touch less usually) and have this rolling windfall, yet in the last 25 years have been in the Championship for around half the time we have (3 seasons and got relegated in two of those). You have to do something with your money and they don’t appear to be very effective compared to us.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on March 13, 2021, 11:15:51 am by aidanstu »
Plenty of people look on enviously at Peterborough and the transfer fees they have brought in from players over recent years. Nobody stopped and thought that it hasn’t done them any good? They are a club with comparable gates to us (a touch less usually) and have this rolling windfall, yet in the last 25 years have been in the Championship for around half the time we have (3 seasons and got relegated in two of those). You have to do something with your money and they don’t appear to be very effective compared to us.

Whilst I take your point it hardly addresses mine. The question is if clubs like Peterborough can demand such fees why can’t we?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012