Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 10:49:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gavin's update  (Read 7071 times)

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
Re: Gavin's update
« Reply #30 on April 16, 2021, 10:25:27 pm by StocksArmy »
Andy has been an incredible servant to this club and there will be a place available for him next season whether that is as manager, coach, or back on the playing staff.

That comment doesnt sit well with me. It does 1 of 2 things which is...

A) Give AB false hope at securing the managers job (which isnt fair)

B) Tee the fans up for the possibility that he has a genuine chance of getting the role.

If the board have no intention of appointing him then to show him the respect he deserves they need to grow a pair, nip this in the bud and tell him to polish his boots ready for next season or speak to him in regards to a coaching role. Either of those roles im happy with and the fact that he has a future with the club is really pleasing and very much deserved but please god not as the manager.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 16, 2021, 10:32:16 pm by RoversAlias »
It's a great statement and should be pulled up whenever the idiot brigade claim lack of communication from the club hierarchy. Gavin has addressed every criticism there.

Some strange interpretations in this thread though. One mention of "Club Doncaster" in the whole article yet it's brought up to criticise again - what is people's fascination with that?

And the loans thing...7 loans? I read the exact opposite from this article, as Gavin says we will be "going back to our original criteria" which of course was not to have 7 loanees at once. That was a deviation at the behest of Darren Moore, he is clearly referring to the idea of augmenting the squad with the likes of Kane and Wilks rather than a whole host of inexperienced PL bodies.

Some people just really want to believe the worst regardless of what is in front of their eyes.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 16, 2021, 10:36:24 pm by Janso »
The group of people who whinge about Club Doncaster are almost entirely made up of people who have absolutely no idea how it works and peddle or believe b*llocks like the myth that it diverts funds away from Rovers and into the rugby league and women's clubs.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 17, 2021, 12:41:01 am by PDX_Rover »
Without Doncaster Rovers there is no “club Doncaster “ all you hear about is club Doncaster never Doncaster Rovers we are a football team and the business side should stay where it belongs in the background let’s see how many contracted players we have next season it’s the same spiel from Baldwin and driving season ticket holders away the worst decision was appointing him on the board

Bit of a dick statement.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 17, 2021, 08:02:16 am by dickos1 »
It's a great statement and should be pulled up whenever the idiot brigade claim lack of communication from the club hierarchy. Gavin has addressed every criticism there.

Some strange interpretations in this thread though. One mention of "Club Doncaster" in the whole article yet it's brought up to criticise again - what is people's fascination with that?

And the loans thing...7 loans? I read the exact opposite from this article, as Gavin says we will be "going back to our original criteria" which of course was not to have 7 loanees at once. That was a deviation at the behest of Darren Moore, he is clearly referring to the idea of augmenting the squad with the likes of Kane and Wilks rather than a whole host of inexperienced PL bodies.

Some people just really want to believe the worst regardless of what is in front of their eyes.

That’s exactly how I interpreted the loans,
22 consisting a limited number of loans.
Be interesting to see how we attempt to overcome managers leaving us, longer contracts maybe or clauses written into contracts

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 17, 2021, 08:23:48 am by no eyed deer »
Delighted to hear there will still be a role for Andy Butler at the club. Is the very least he deserves

Definitely good news, in a time where he should be thinking about the next step in his career he takes over a team that doesn't want to know and can't even step over the white line to help out.

I bet Baldwin's future hasn't been hampered nearly as much as ABs

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 17, 2021, 08:30:19 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I hope Gavin & co dont see the shite that some people fire at them. And if they do, I hope they realise its a small minority.

Lucky to have them.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 17, 2021, 09:11:42 am by BradwellRover »
Andy has been an incredible servant to this club and there will be a place available for him next season whether that is as manager, coach, or back on the playing staff.

B) Tee the fans up for the possibility that he has a genuine chance of getting the role.

If the board have no intention of appointing him then to show him the respect he deserves they need to grow a pair, nip this in the bud and tell him to polish his boots ready for next season or speak to him in regards to a coaching role. Either of those roles im happy with and the fact that he has a future with the club is really pleasing and very much deserved but please god not as the manager.

Of course, I forgot that employment rules and regulations don’t apply in football!!!?

They can’t tell him not to apply, that would be discriminatory, and so this is exactly what I would expect.  They can have (and I assume will have) the conversation and make alternative offers after the process is complete.  I’d also expect them to want to consult with the successful candidate about ABs role as well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:19:44 am by BradwellRover »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 17, 2021, 09:19:44 am by Jonathan »
It’s a sound, sensible and reassuring statement. I honestly don’t know what more people could expect or hope for. I’ve just seen the replies to the press release on Twitter and it’s thoroughly depressing. I just hope these braindead idiots calling for Gavin and the Board to go don’t get what they want, as the rest of us would be left poorer for it.

Yeah this season is ending in disappointment, and it’s clear that the club understand and share that sense. But they’ve outlined their logic for acting in the way they did. I understood it at the time, but even if you didn’t (and I get that) then at least the club have explained. What more can you ask for? Sometimes things just don’t go as hoped. But if the owners took the negative reactions to heart we’d be well and truly f**ked.

If anyone from the club is reading this, I think it’s fair to say that most fans are disappointed but remain fully behind you. Please understand that Twitter (and to some extent this forum) can give a platform for people to spew hate loudly, but those detracting voices don’t reflect the views of the majority.

It’s good that things are happening at pace with regard to getting us back on track and learning lessons from what’s gone wrong before. Hopefully we can look forward to the return of fans next season with hope.

And please one more year James Coppinger!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 17, 2021, 09:29:51 am by River Don »
They are probably well aware how social media tends to be an amplifier for the hard of thinking, Jonathan.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 17, 2021, 09:38:22 am by silent majority »
It’s a sound, sensible and reassuring statement. I honestly don’t know what more people could expect or hope for. I’ve just seen the replies to the press release on Twitter and it’s thoroughly depressing. I just hope these braindead idiots calling for Gavin and the Board to go don’t get what they want, as the rest of us would be left poorer for it.

Yeah this season is ending in disappointment, and it’s clear that the club understand and share that sense. But they’ve outlined their logic for acting in the way they did. I understood it at the time, but even if you didn’t (and I get that) then at least the club have explained. What more can you ask for? Sometimes things just don’t go as hoped. But if the owners took the negative reactions to heart we’d be well and truly f**ked.

If anyone from the club is reading this, I think it’s fair to say that most fans are disappointed but remain fully behind you. Please understand that Twitter (and to some extent this forum) can give a platform for people to spew hate loudly, but those detracting voices don’t reflect the views of the majority.

It’s good that things are happening at pace with regard to getting us back on track and learning lessons from what’s gone wrong before. Hopefully we can look forward to the return of fans next season with hope.

And please one more year James Coppinger!

The club pay little, if any, attention to what's written on social media. There are better ways of testing the supporters response to events than reading twitter.

They are aware of the fans disappointment, which is why Gavin addresses it in his statement, and they feel it too, they're not immune. I have seen board members in utter despair at times when we've lost matches, and its hard for them too when they have to make small talk in the hospitality areas after the game when hosting visitors from other clubs.

But as part of our discussions in recent weeks the ability to hold on to promising managers has cropped up. GB has some ideas which he'll implement as part of the new manager search.

And yes, more from JC would be welcome.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 17, 2021, 09:44:43 am by steve@dcfd »
This from Gavin statement
Following this COVID-19 year, we also intend to go back to our original criteria: a squad of 22 which is supported by 3-5 development players and boosted by a limited number of high-quality loan players.

So squad of 22 plus  3/5 developing players plus high quality loans.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 17, 2021, 09:51:07 am by Campsall rover »
Welcome statement from GB.
Everything he says is i think is what most of us want to hear.

Financially the Club must be in a reasonably good place as there is no desperation to sell season tickets.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 17, 2021, 10:02:14 am by Bollinger »
A perfectly reasonable, welcome and reassuring statement that hasn’t avoided any of the issues of concern.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 17, 2021, 10:15:31 am by Barmby Rover »
 i certainly hope the board live up to that promise to AB, he has done his best, but without the experience behind it he is well and truly screwed for getting another management role after this season, and deserves to be given other opportunities by the club.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 17, 2021, 10:48:28 am by RoversAlias »
I think they should (and probably will) grant Butler an interview for the role. Whether they seriously think they'll hire him, I'm not so sure, but it would be fair to shortlist him for interview and give him every opportunity to demonstrate what he can bring to the club next season.

Although I do think we will appoint someone with more experience.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 17, 2021, 10:50:29 am by DonnyOsmond »
Gavin has always done a good job for us but whenever we do bad on the pitch he always receives criticism, along with the rest of the board from idiots on Facebook and Twitter. They're now apparently beating him with a stick because he used to run the Dome. This probably comes from people who stack shelves at Costcutter for minimum wage. There's no shame if that's what you do but it doesn't mean you know the ins and outs of what someone at a completely different workplace does and can criticise them. You're just talking out your arse.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 17, 2021, 10:52:52 am by silent majority »
Gavin has always done a good job for us but whenever we do bad on the pitch he always receives criticism, along with the rest of the board from idiots on Facebook and Twitter. They're now apparently beating him with a stick because he used to run the Dome. This probably comes from people who stack shelves at Costcutter for minimum wage. There's no shame if that's what you do but it doesn't mean you know the ins and outs of what someone at a completely different workplace does and can criticise them. You're just talking out your arse.

Probably started by somebody who got the sack whilst working at the Dome.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 17, 2021, 11:11:20 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Frankly it was a reassuring statement. For me it went further than some of the updates which for me was a big positive. No excuses and addressed points thatany of us have made (some in a better way than others).

The strategy moving forwards feels more of a fit. Indirectly there is acknowledgent that some adjustment is required. That's important.

It makes me feel more positive. Next season is a big one but also a big opportunity to relaunch.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 17, 2021, 11:16:19 am by GazLaz »
GB and the board get stick, sometimes from me, but I think he does a good job. An environment has been created that gives the managers that come in a chance. I do think improvements could be made to smooth out potential bumps in the road and give us a greater chance of over achieving in the future.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 17, 2021, 11:17:03 am by Danmckay456 »
Without Doncaster Rovers there is no “club Doncaster “ all you hear about is club Doncaster never Doncaster Rovers we are a football team and the business side should stay where it belongs in the background let’s see how many contracted players we have next season it’s the same spiel from Baldwin and driving season ticket holders away the worst decision was appointing him on the board

Bit of a dick statement.

Easy to post on the keyboard than in person

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 17, 2021, 11:24:28 am by Michael Gibson »
Quite simply put in a massive buy out clause in the contract... job done... unfortunately the board won’t commit to deals with managers because if it goes Pete tong they have to pay out..... catch 22

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 17, 2021, 11:29:37 am by GazLaz »
Quite simply put in a massive buy out clause in the contract... job done... unfortunately the board won’t commit to deals with managers because if it goes Pete tong they have to pay out..... catch 22

A manager likely not to accept a contract that may hinder his progression in the future.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 17, 2021, 11:32:21 am by silent majority »

A manager likely not to accept a contract that may hinder his progression in the future.

Exactly that, its hard to find the balance. You want to accept the best candidates, but if you put too many barriers in the way of them taking a step up then they won't join in the first place.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 17, 2021, 11:38:59 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Aye, it's Catch-22 because whatever happens you're going to whinge like feck about the Board.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 17, 2021, 11:44:03 am by Janso »

Aye, it's Catch-22 because whatever happens you're going to whinge like feck about the Board.

That's the only thing he does on here.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 17, 2021, 11:49:27 am by roversdude »
 :that:Yeah that

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on April 17, 2021, 11:59:06 am by StocksArmy »

Of course, I forgot that employment rules and regulations don’t apply in football!!!?

They can’t tell him not to apply, that would be discriminatory, and so this is exactly what I would expect.  They can have (and I assume will have) the conversation and make alternative offers after the process is complete.  I’d also expect them to want to consult with the successful candidate about ABs role as well.

Therefore why list a series of demands that candidates must meet and then still offer it to people who dont meet the criteria? Pulling him aside and having a discussion is not discriminatory. "Welcoming his application" is something that didnt need to be published if they give him no chance of getting it in that case. It can just be a thanks but no thanks behind closed doors meeting and nobody need know he applied.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 17, 2021, 12:35:44 pm by keith79 »
I remember going once thinking this is the last game rovers will ever play.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on April 17, 2021, 12:43:22 pm by Michael Gibson »
How’s that a whinge???? It’s fact!!! And on this occasion I think it’s a decent ploy depending on who you employ...  I definitely think there’s managers who abuse it without a doubt... not in anyway was that a dig

TinyPortal © 2005-2012