Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 11:08:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Manager selection update  (Read 94075 times)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Manager selection update
« Reply #750 on May 12, 2021, 04:39:28 pm by PDX_Rover »
I don't have a lot of good to say about Rovers right now, but thanks SoundbiteBarmyArmy for your post and the first feeling of light I can see at the end of a very dark tunnel.
And no, I don't want Wellens as manager. He was a good player but had a chip on his shoulder and I don't want to see that again at Doncaster. He always felt he should be playing with his buddies at Man Utd and had been badly treated. I was glad to see him go even as a player. I have no intention of entering into yet another argument on this site. It is my opinion, end of.

For the first time ever I find myself agreeing with Michael Shaw! Wellens is the last person this club needs right now.

I'm guessing with you saying that, he won't be getting the job then ?

I doubt you'd have a opinion so strong If Wellens even had a chance of getting the job.

Sounds like it's just his opinion, not the boards thoughts.

He isn't normally so outspoken and normally remains quite neutral I'd say.   He does a great job.

I'd be extremely surprised If he get's the job following these comments- But I hope I am wrong.

I have to emphasise that this is my opinion based on certain things. Things I'm not really at liberty to discuss.

But I'm not doing the interviewing, the club are, so it's for the club to decide if he's the right man for the job.

Trust is a huge factor in any relationship IMO.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #751 on May 12, 2021, 04:50:08 pm by normal rules »
This is a popular post with nearly 39000 views. A lot of interest out there. Or alot of multiple viewings.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #752 on May 12, 2021, 04:51:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder if Wellens isn't going to be offered the job because of similar reasons why Brian Clough wasn't given the England job?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #753 on May 12, 2021, 04:53:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Re: Wellens. I’d say the (arguably) the best player in the best team we have had for an exceptionally long time (possibly ever) deserves some kind of legendary status.

The fact he may be abrasive and say things people may not want to hear isn’t necessarily a terrible thing. This is elite sport not comfort zone P.E lesson which is the impression I sometimes get from the clubs mentality.

Contrary to what some may think we are not making any real progress on the football side. Winning awards because players go and pat some school kids on the head is all well and good but we need a manager to drag us forward kicking and screaming. I think Wellens is capable of that, as I’m sure the other two candidates are. Not choosing someone because they may rock the boat and could potentially be too demanding and hard to manage would be madness.

What a fantastic post.

Indeed. Just goes to show all the different factors to take into account to make the ultimate position.

I think I know where S_M is coming from and given we've had a number of managers in relatively quick succession what risks are we prepared to take?

Just my opinion, but I see Wellens perhaps being similar to Fergie, with a bit of a ruthless streak but that's fine if you have a larger squad to manage. It might not work so well with a smaller squad.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #754 on May 12, 2021, 04:55:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This is a popular post with nearly 39000 views. A lot of interest out there. Or alot of multiple viewings.

Ha ha. Who wants to have some fun with the betting odds!

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #755 on May 12, 2021, 04:55:52 pm by Move DRFC »
Re: Wellens. I’d say the (arguably) the best player in the best team we have had for an exceptionally long time (possibly ever) deserves some kind of legendary status.

The fact he may be abrasive and say things people may not want to hear isn’t necessarily a terrible thing. This is elite sport not comfort zone P.E lesson which is the impression I sometimes get from the clubs mentality.

Contrary to what some may think we are not making any real progress on the football side. Winning awards because players go and pat some school kids on the head is all well and good but we need a manager to drag us forward kicking and screaming. I think Wellens is capable of that, as I’m sure the other two candidates are. Not choosing someone because they may rock the boat and could potentially be too demanding and hard to manage would be madness.

Top post and very true.

Glad the majority agree with Wellens being a club legend because he obviously is.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #756 on May 12, 2021, 05:02:09 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think you need to read the responses again Alan, there's just one who thought that a more experienced manager might be needed for a full squad rebuild. And the opposite view has also been expressed where a left field candidate might have an advantage as in the likes of Grant McCann.

But let's face it Alan, you have a negative opinion of everything. And your post wasn't so much an opinion, not even a balanced one, but more a complete condemnation based on what? You quite clearly stated that he might have interviewed well but that's not what we need. Based on what?

There were 2 actually. I appreciate there were the opposite views, but I havn’t told any of them their posts were ‘nonsense’ and anyway, what would their opinion be based on?

Further, I havn’t a negative opinion on everything - if you think that I would suggest you read more of my posts!

It’s obvious you’re not at Liberty to tell me why you think Mr Left Field would be a good appointment, as that may give away who it actually is. However, I notice you’re not sitting on the fence with RW - now who’s being negative? Still, if that’s your view, then fair enough, I don’t have a problem with it (don’t agree, but hey ho).

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #757 on May 12, 2021, 05:03:51 pm by steve@dcfd »
Wellens was one of the best players I’ve seen in a rovers shirt. He was a winner, he may have upset people because he wanted to win every game and didn’t suffer players that didn’t. I am in two minds really I want him to get the job, but again I don’t there will to many pouting the finger at him if we can’t put a good side together. He may want 1 of the top 5 on the list while finances may dictate we have to have 1 of the bottom 5. So Richie stay away don’t bother. Whoever the three are to be interviewed and have completed the process it will be the one that accepts the lowest wages who gets  the job.
That might come across negative but it my opinion on how I see the club going. I like others still want a club but I also would like to see a team that are competing on the field of play. We need to sign players permanently that can do that at the top end of league one.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:07:54 pm by steve@dcfd »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #758 on May 12, 2021, 05:07:02 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Wellens was one of the best players I’ve seen in a rovers shirt. He was a winner, he may have upset people because he wanted to win every game and didn’t suffer players that didn’t. I am in two minds really I want him to get the job, but again I don’t there will to many pouting the finger at him if we can’t put a good side together. He may want 1 of the top 5 on the list while finances may dictate we have to have 1 of the bottom 5. So Richie stay away don’t bother. Whoever the three are to be interviewed and have completed the process it will be the one that accepts the lowest wages who gets  the job.

That’s the spirit Steve!! Keep smiling lad!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #759 on May 12, 2021, 05:10:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I was with you until that last sentence. Yet Fergie was reputed to be one of the highest paid managers in the division and probably the highest when we got relegated!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #760 on May 12, 2021, 05:10:23 pm by Chris Black come back »
Wellens is definitely a club legend for Rovers. Brilliant player for us, played a major role in getting us promoted to the Championship and then keeping us in it. When he came back, it is widely considered that he was one of our best players and his late-season injury was a big factor in us slumping to relegation in 2014.

Also, our last manager was English. Darren Moore is an Englishman from Birmingham who has lived his entire life in this country. You can say he's Jamaican too, because clearly his heritage is Jamaican, but three international caps for them do not stop him from being English.

I can see where you are coming from, but he played international football for Jamaica and SOD for the Republic of Ireland. In both their cases (both born in the Midlands) as they were stepping out on to the pitch for their international caps, I doubt either would have accepted at that point that "I am British only". It's certainly not straightforward, but given both of them played for third countries despite being born and raised in Britain, I am happy to go with their own preference to play international football for that third country. It was their choice and I wouldn't want to second guess their own preference.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:16:26 pm by Chris Black come back »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #761 on May 12, 2021, 05:11:13 pm by steve@dcfd »

When it comes to our club a smile will be there when we see what players we can sign we need about 9/10 permanent players as ot stands to get to the CEOs 22.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #762 on May 12, 2021, 05:12:01 pm by i_ateallthepies »
SM, your anti-Wellens sentiment seems to be very heartfelt which leads me to the question, is it derived from knowledge gained via your position as a fan representative and proximity to senior members of the club or is it from information any one of us could know?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #763 on May 12, 2021, 05:14:20 pm by steve@dcfd »

I was with you until that last sentence. Yet Fergie was reputed to be one of the highest paid managers in the division and probably the highest when we got relegated!
That was then I’m talking now but we won’t know we can be told anything and have to accept it.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #764 on May 12, 2021, 05:17:47 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
All this speculation is just a game for us fans fans to have something to discuss/argue over though isn’t it! In the end, none of us really has any idea who’s going to get the job. And rightly so.   

The Board have a good record with selecting managers over the past few years, and I’m sure that their selection process is still robust enough to ensure that we get a decent Manager in.

As for Wellens, he’s undoubtedly one of the best players I’ve ever seen at the Rovers and was an instrumental part of our ‘golden years’. However, sentiment should amount to nothing of course. This won’t necessarily mean he’ll be the right manager for us. He should only get the role if he ticks all of the right boxes for the Board.

It’ll all be reyt.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:24:18 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #765 on May 12, 2021, 05:22:37 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

When it comes to our club a smile will be there when we see what players we can sign we need about 9/10 permanent players as ot stands to get to the CEOs 22.

I’m sure that they’re aware what’s needed and how to achieve it Steve.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #766 on May 12, 2021, 05:30:40 pm by RoversAlias »
Wellens is definitely a club legend for Rovers. Brilliant player for us, played a major role in getting us promoted to the Championship and then keeping us in it. When he came back, it is widely considered that he was one of our best players and his late-season injury was a big factor in us slumping to relegation in 2014.

Also, our last manager was English. Darren Moore is an Englishman from Birmingham who has lived his entire life in this country. You can say he's Jamaican too, because clearly his heritage is Jamaican, but three international caps for them do not stop him from being English.

I can see where you are coming from, but he played international football for Jamaica and SOD for the Republic of Ireland. In both their cases (both born in the Midlands) as they were stepping out on to the pitch for their international caps, I doubt either would have accepted at that point that "I am British only". It's certainly not straightforward, but given both of them played for third countries despite being born and raised in Britain, I am happy to go with their own preference to play international football for that third country. It was their choice and I wouldn't want to second guess their own preference.

That's fine CB, not like it matters in the grand scheme of things really. I'm not to my knowkedge, but if I did hold dual nationality or had ancestry of a different country, I'd maybe class myself as both. No reason why someone can't be both English and Irish really, and it is everyone's personal preference really.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #767 on May 12, 2021, 05:45:49 pm by steve@dcfd »

I’m sure that they’re aware what’s needed and how to achieve it Steve.
You are right like any construction company they will insist they get best they can with money available the standard of player may not come into it.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #768 on May 12, 2021, 05:59:52 pm by Jonathan »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Wellens. All I’ll say (and I think it’s been alluded to further up) is that if the club were put off by the past relationship then he should never have been shortlisted, let alone invited back for a second interview. He’s there now and should be judged on the merit of his interview and his credentials. If he’s considered the best then he should be appointed and I hope he is. If not then personally I hope Eustace is next in line from the assumed three. He’s not as far ‘leftfield’ as I thought.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #769 on May 12, 2021, 06:01:24 pm by ravenrover »
Can someone point me in the direction of where the club have issued a statement giving the names of those who have been shortlisted for the final interview? People on here are talking as though it is a fact that Wellens or anyone else has been selected for the final interview Jeez the bookies must be loving this

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #770 on May 12, 2021, 06:03:11 pm by GazLaz »
Can someone point me in the direction of where the club have issued a statement giving the names of those who have been shortlisted for the final interview? People on here are talking as though it is a fact that Wellens or anyone else has been selected for the final interview Jeez the bookies must be loving this

The top 3 in the betting will be the final three. People saying the markets don’t have a clue, they probably do.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #771 on May 12, 2021, 06:08:02 pm by the vicar »
Robinson I one of the 3

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #772 on May 12, 2021, 06:08:13 pm by ravenrover »
Where were Dickov Ferguson McCann and Moore in the betting? Honest question

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #773 on May 12, 2021, 06:13:30 pm by Jonathan »
Where were Dickov Ferguson McCann and Moore in the betting? Honest question

By this stage right at the top.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #774 on May 12, 2021, 06:16:34 pm by ravenrover »
Thank you J

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #775 on May 12, 2021, 06:17:34 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
how long before we hear that chant from the 1960's at the wendies  "useless Redacted"

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/qpr/news/eustace-no-chance-of-me-getting-qpr-job_356198.html

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #776 on May 12, 2021, 06:17:55 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Looking forward to hearing Useless Eustace down the line.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #777 on May 12, 2021, 06:18:45 pm by redandwhitearmy »
One question for SM if he will answer.

Not a dig but it's seemingly obvious that Wellens has a interview,  you said earlier in the week that we were down to the final threw who are all excellent candidates?

Seemingly you don't think that?

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #778 on May 12, 2021, 06:19:10 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »

Multiple views for me as this is probably best placed for news and gossip. Came off social media last July.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #779 on May 12, 2021, 06:28:42 pm by NickDRFC »
Despite Robinson its hard to see the new manager being anyone else other than Wellens.

Ohhh Richie richie...

Why though? It'd be good to understand why people think he'll be the right man

Won league 2 title with Swindon despite lack of experience. Got his two strikers scoring for fun. Won JPT with Salford. Plays an attractive brand of football. Only young so should get better. Speaks his mind so will be fun to watch interviews again after the dross Moore came out with... and he's a club legend.

I'm sure what's not to like to be honest.

Legend? That's the last thing I'd call him.

- 2 spells with 100 odd appearances in each
- Part of the midfield that utterly dominated Leeds at Wembley
- Arguably the best player in the best team we’ve ever had (Stock for me but it’s very close)
- Scored a ridiculous lob on his debut (yeah it was only Retford but immediately obvious we had some player on our hands)
- His signing prompted one of our fans to eat a testicle

If that doesn’t qualify as a legend you must have an extraordinarily high bar!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012