Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 11:39:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Manager selection update  (Read 94085 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Manager selection update
« Reply #780 on May 12, 2021, 06:32:35 pm by NickDRFC »
Wellens is definitely a club legend for Rovers. Brilliant player for us, played a major role in getting us promoted to the Championship and then keeping us in it. When he came back, it is widely considered that he was one of our best players and his late-season injury was a big factor in us slumping to relegation in 2014.

Also, our last manager was English. Darren Moore is an Englishman from Birmingham who has lived his entire life in this country. You can say he's Jamaican too, because clearly his heritage is Jamaican, but three international caps for them do not stop him from being English.

I can see where you are coming from, but he played international football for Jamaica and SOD for the Republic of Ireland. In both their cases (both born in the Midlands) as they were stepping out on to the pitch for their international caps, I doubt either would have accepted at that point that "I am British only". It's certainly not straightforward, but given both of them played for third countries despite being born and raised in Britain, I am happy to go with their own preference to play international football for that third country. It was their choice and I wouldn't want to second guess their own preference.

I doubt Moore or SOD played for Jamaica or Ireland because they see themselves as Jamaican or Irish, they did it because they qualified and were nowhere near good enough to play for England. My grandad was Polish and I feel an affinity to the country, and if I was a professional footballer who was a top player but not quite good enough for England I would play for Poland and be immensely proud to do so. It wouldn’t make me Polish, though.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #781 on May 12, 2021, 06:34:47 pm by NickDRFC »
Two posts straying off topic so better come back onto it...I’d be pleased with any of these 3. Eustace I’m less sure about but if he gets through 2 interviews ahead of Wellens & Robinson he clearly has something about him.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #782 on May 12, 2021, 06:34:59 pm by silent majority »
Despite Robinson its hard to see the new manager being anyone else other than Wellens.

Ohhh Richie richie...

Why though? It'd be good to understand why people think he'll be the right man

Won league 2 title with Swindon despite lack of experience. Got his two strikers scoring for fun. Won JPT with Salford. Plays an attractive brand of football. Only young so should get better. Speaks his mind so will be fun to watch interviews again after the dross Moore came out with... and he's a club legend.

I'm sure what's not to like to be honest.

Legend? That's the last thing I'd call him.

- 2 spells with 100 odd appearances in each
- Part of the midfield that utterly dominated Leeds at Wembley
- Arguably the best player in the best team we’ve ever had (Stock for me but it’s very close)
- Scored a ridiculous lob on his debut (yeah it was only Retford but immediately obvious we had some player on our hands)
- His signing prompted one of our fans to eat a testicle

If that doesn’t qualify as a legend you must have an extraordinarily high bar!

You're ignoring Wellens the person though aren't you?

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #783 on May 12, 2021, 06:38:21 pm by Bollinger »
Wellens is definitely a club legend for Rovers. Brilliant player for us, played a major role in getting us promoted to the Championship and then keeping us in it. When he came back, it is widely considered that he was one of our best players and his late-season injury was a big factor in us slumping to relegation in 2014.

Also, our last manager was English. Darren Moore is an Englishman from Birmingham who has lived his entire life in this country. You can say he's Jamaican too, because clearly his heritage is Jamaican, but three international caps for them do not stop him from being English.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your point. It happens in all sports but for the record I recall Jimmy Armfield -who was working with the FA and England team management- saying that he had recommended Moore and that he had been under serious consideration.

I can see where you are coming from, but he played international football for Jamaica and SOD for the Republic of Ireland. In both their cases (both born in the Midlands) as they were stepping out on to the pitch for their international caps, I doubt either would have accepted at that point that "I am British only". It's certainly not straightforward, but given both of them played for third countries despite being born and raised in Britain, I am happy to go with their own preference to play international football for that third country. It was their choice and I wouldn't want to second guess their own preference.

I doubt Moore or SOD played for Jamaica or Ireland because they see themselves as Jamaican or Irish, they did it because they qualified and were nowhere near good enough to play for England. My grandad was Polish and I feel an affinity to the country, and if I was a professional footballer who was a top player but not quite good enough for England I would play for Poland and be immensely proud to do so. It wouldn’t make me Polish, though.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #784 on May 12, 2021, 06:40:28 pm by dickos1 »
Despite Robinson its hard to see the new manager being anyone else other than Wellens.

Ohhh Richie richie...

Won league 2 title with Swindon despite lack of experience. Got his two strikers scoring for fun. Won JPT with Salford. Plays an attractive brand of football. Only young so should get better. Speaks his mind so will be fun to watch interviews again after the dross Moore came out with... and he's a club legend.

- Arguably the best player in the best team we’ve ever had (Stock for me but it’s very close)
- Scored a ridiculous lob on his debut (yeah it was only Retford but immediately obvious we had some player on our hands)

We’re not ignoring it, we just don’t know him.
For all we know, all the best rovers players over the years could be horrible in person.
But when you’re deciding who is a legend for the football club as a player all you have to go on is how they performed as a player
And for me wellens is the best player I’ve seen in a rovers shirt

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #785 on May 12, 2021, 06:42:24 pm by NickDRFC »

Ohhh Richie richie...

I don’t know Wellens any more than I know James Coppinger, Billy Sharp, Brian Stock or Michael McIndoe*. If fans needed to know a player as a person to regard them as a legend then there wouldn’t be any.

*I do know that McIndoe is a bit of a wrong ‘un**. But still a Rovers legend.

** Allegedly. Thanks Bob
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:52:32 pm by NickDRFC »

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #786 on May 12, 2021, 06:44:07 pm by Donnybax »

Ohhh Richie richie...

not at all. He’s personality has nothing to do with the fact he’s a club legend as already stated by others here. He was part of our best midfield and he and Stock absolutely bossed games. He was part of a team that every supporter was proud of which I don’t think we can say for very many teams since, despite the fact we’re apparently doing brilliantly....

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #787 on May 12, 2021, 06:46:12 pm by BobG »
I think that ought to be deleted pdq Nick!

There was never any conviction and I think (but only think) there was a case going forwards for wrongful arrest and one for libel too.

Best delete it mate. It'd be safer even if I'm wrong on some of that.

BobG

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #788 on May 12, 2021, 06:52:35 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Ohhh Richie richie...

not at all. He’s personality has nothing to do with the fact he’s a club legend as already stated by others here. He was part of our best midfield and he and Stock absolutely bossed games. He was part of a team that every supporter was proud of which I don’t think we can say for very many teams since, despite the fact we’re apparently doing brilliantly....

I think the point is its more about his man management skills, and tactical nous that his own footballing skills and past performance on the pitch and in a Rovers shirt.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #789 on May 12, 2021, 07:01:52 pm by Retdon1 »
He is most definitely a club legend in my eyes..

Question for SM...
If the board came to you and asked you as a rep for the fans, what is the general fan opinion on Wellens getting the job. Would you give them your opinion, or the actual opinion of the fans where the majority are more than happy for him to get the job ?

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #790 on May 12, 2021, 07:16:21 pm by andy didcott »
Go on then SM, spill the beans,you know you want to tell us all who the last three are.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #791 on May 12, 2021, 07:18:18 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Go on then SM, spill the beans,you know you want to tell us all who the last three are.

Robinson
Wellens
Eustace
If you believe the rumours.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #792 on May 12, 2021, 07:28:32 pm by GazLaz »

Question for SM...
If the board came to you and asked you as a rep for the fans, what is the general fan opinion on Wellens getting the job. Would you give them your opinion, or the actual opinion of the fans where the majority are more than happy for him to get the job ?

I’m sure Baldwin will read this site.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #793 on May 12, 2021, 07:33:32 pm by knockers »
I wonder if Wellens isn't going to be offered the job because of similar reasons why Brian Clough wasn't given the England job?

I don’t think Wellens has a green jumper

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #794 on May 12, 2021, 07:34:45 pm by silent majority »

Ohhh Richie richie...

I don’t know Wellens any more than I know James Coppinger, Billy Sharp, Brian Stock or Michael McIndoe*. If fans needed to know a player as a person to regard them as a legend then there wouldn’t be any.

*I do know that McIndoe is a bit of a wrong ‘un**. But still a Rovers legend.

** Allegedly. Thanks Bob

I said I wouldn't call him a legend, you said I was setting the bar very high.

So I just pointed out your opinion was based on his football career, mine isn't.

I knew this would go down the rabbit hole as soon as I commented, but I'm entitled to an opinion too lets not forget!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #795 on May 12, 2021, 07:39:41 pm by silent majority »

On the contrary, I'm not that fussed about 'spilling the beans'. I've learnt over the years that having this kind of information does you no good at all.

I'll leave all the speculation to others. I don't mind the odd comment where it may be total fabrication that I can correct etc., but as a general rule I find it better to say very little when it comes to the actual participants. As the RW situation now proves!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #796 on May 12, 2021, 07:41:30 pm by silent majority »

Question for SM...

To be fair we have a relationship where all cards would be on the table, so your hypothetical question and the dilemma it proposes wouldn't arise.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #797 on May 12, 2021, 07:47:52 pm by Jonathan »
It looks as if the club will be interviewing three candidates tomorrow with a view to appointing one. And it looks like of the three:

- One has won trophies and is known for playing attractive attacking football, but question marks have been raised about his character in some quarters.

- One has plenty of experience of managing on a budget and delivering (largely) better than expected results, but with some question marks over whether he’s the man to being attractive attacking football to the Keepmoat

- One has an excellent reputation as a coach, and a successful spell in management at a lower level, but is lacking the experience and profile of the other two.

Conclusion being that we’ll have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I’d like to think Wellens’ character was taken into account before he was shortlisted.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #798 on May 12, 2021, 08:00:36 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Think more people want Wellens of the 3. He is what we need the sort of crap we've seen the past 3 months wouldn't have been tolerated

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #799 on May 12, 2021, 08:07:39 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Que Sera Sera :)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #800 on May 12, 2021, 08:09:06 pm by idler »
Are we going to Wembley?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #801 on May 12, 2021, 08:12:27 pm by drfchound »
Are we going to Wembley?

The futures not ours to see.
(Just have to wait for hindsight).

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #802 on May 12, 2021, 08:28:24 pm by StocksArmy »

Ohhh Richie richie...

I see Wellens as a good servant through his years and his achievements with us. Undeniably a very talented footballer for the level we operate/operated at. But a legend? Not for me. For what its worth in my opinion and i have never met the guy..... if i was a player i feel he would rub me up the wrong way and that whenever we hit a bad run of form his defence would be to out the players in public the 1st chance he got. Didnt he allgedly spit on a Swansea player once as well? As ive pointed out before, he wouldnt be my choice. The one thing i liked about McCann was he never got too ahead of himself during good and bad form but, when we played crap he admitted it and we were well known that season for bouncing back with a positive result or performance after a bad one. Charlton in the playoffs for example, how do you go from playing like that in the 1st leg to like that in the 2nd? Against a far better team too. Thats the calibre of manager we need. Like when looking at a player, they have to fit the philosophy of the club and buy into what the owners want from a person as well as a player/football manager.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #803 on May 12, 2021, 08:28:31 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Are we going to Wembley?

Whatever will be will be, The futures not ours to see   :) :)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #804 on May 12, 2021, 08:34:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It looks as if the club will be interviewing three candidates tomorrow with a view to appointing one. And it looks like of the three:

- One has won trophies and is known for playing attractive attacking football, but question marks have been raised about his character in some quarters.

- One has plenty of experience of managing on a budget and delivering (largely) better than expected results, but with some question marks over whether he’s the man to being attractive attacking football to the Keepmoat

- One has an excellent reputation as a coach, and a successful spell in management at a lower level, but is lacking the experience and profile of the other two.

Conclusion being that we’ll have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I’d like to think Wellens’ character was taken into account before he was shortlisted.

Being nice isn't a job. It can actually hinder being honest and critical when the need arises.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #805 on May 12, 2021, 08:36:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Are we going to Wembley?

Where is BST anyway?

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #806 on May 12, 2021, 08:50:37 pm by godlike1 »
For me, after reading all of the above, plus the article from Liam regarding the downfall of this season (if true)

I would say we need a fresh set of eyes and approach from a coach who has had to build rom the ground up. Almost (dare I say it) Darren ferguson esq.

I will never forget what richie achieved at rovers and liked his approach on the pitch. I just don't think this is the right time for him nor the club.

For me we need to build from the bottom up and stability. Some sort of a bloody identity too.

Df did a huge amount of rebuilding for the club after disaster dickov which has almost all been undone by the last two managers and covid. We are coming out of it and need to put a plan in place instead of this inane floundering

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #807 on May 12, 2021, 09:07:16 pm by DRNaith »

I think there's always going to be that comprise.

I say this about Championship players. In my uneducated opinion, Championship players are similar to Premier League players, except they lack in one area. That area may be athleticism, skill, speed, etc ...

Where a manager is concerned, if there's no compromise then they're likely to be too expensive and Premier League quality. I'm happy with the compromise concept.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #808 on May 12, 2021, 09:11:08 pm by GazLaz »

I think there's always going to be that comprise.

I say this about Championship players. In my uneducated opinion, Championship players are similar to Premier League players, except they lack in one area. That area may be athleticism, skill, speed, etc ...

Where a manager is concerned, if there's no compromise then they're likely to be too expensive and Premier League quality. I'm happy with the compromise concept.

The idea should be to recruit players and managers that are the quality or potential quality to operate at the level above before everyone else realises they are. I suppose the compromise there is generally a lack of experience. I think you are better off having an inexperienced quality player/manager than an experienced useless one!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #809 on May 12, 2021, 09:32:11 pm by wilts rover »
Think more people want Wellens of the 3. He is what we need the sort of crap we've seen the past 3 months wouldn't have been tolerated

It was in his few games in charge of Swindon this season.

If Wellens gets the job fine and good - but don't go making him out to be something he isn't and just cherry picking the bits of his career you like.

He has shown he is a good manager when things go well. And doesn't know what to do when they go badly as they did at both Swindon and Salford. Nor is he receptive to advise he doesn't like, allegedly.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012