Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 08:31:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Manager selection update  (Read 94191 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Manager selection update
« Reply #720 on May 12, 2021, 02:34:00 pm by selby »
  I have no idea about the third man, but both Robinson and Wellens would do me, if he is as good a candidate as those two who seem to split the  supporters on here, the board have a very difficult decision to make.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #721 on May 12, 2021, 02:46:54 pm by silent majority »
Quote from: Alan Southstand on May 11, 2021, 06:36:05 pm
I would think a ‘left field’ appointment is the last thing we need, considering what we’ve witnessed over the last few months! He may well have impressed everyone during his interview, but it’s hardly going to be something that the players can identify with.

And, we have to attract some serious quality to the Club if we’re to have any chance of competing at all next season!

What absolute nonsense Alan.

Without any knowledge whatsoever you've managed to pull out a negative!

And yet, since I posted that, a couple of other posters have commented along similar lines, without any response from you!

I find that very strange.

At the end of the day, SM, it’s my opinion and you either take it or leave it. My post may have come over to you in the wrong way, but just by saying it’s nonsense doesn’t make your opinion correct. If you havn’t realised it yet, there’s quite a few (on the outside) really hurting and that doesn’t mean to say that people on the inside aren’t hurting either, but a little bit of understanding might not be a bad thing!

I clearly stated why I thought a ‘left field’ appointment was not what we needed, and that’s been muted by others, so perhaps it would be interesting to read why you think it would be good thing for DRFC, all things considered.

I think you need to read the responses again Alan, there's just one who thought that a more experienced manager might be needed for a full squad rebuild. And the opposite view has also been expressed where a left field candidate might have an advantage as in the likes of Grant McCann.

But let's face it Alan, you have a negative opinion of everything. And your post wasn't so much an opinion, not even a balanced one, but more a complete condemnation based on what? You quite clearly stated that he might have interviewed well but that's not what we need. Based on what?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #722 on May 12, 2021, 02:48:32 pm by silent majority »
I don't have a lot of good to say about Rovers right now, but thanks SoundbiteBarmyArmy for your post and the first feeling of light I can see at the end of a very dark tunnel.
And no, I don't want Wellens as manager. He was a good player but had a chip on his shoulder and I don't want to see that again at Doncaster. He always felt he should be playing with his buddies at Man Utd and had been badly treated. I was glad to see him go even as a player. I have no intention of entering into yet another argument on this site. It is my opinion, end of.

For the first time ever I find myself agreeing with Michael Shaw! Wellens is the last person this club needs right now.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #723 on May 12, 2021, 02:50:03 pm by silent majority »
Despite Robinson its hard to see the new manager being anyone else other than Wellens.

Ohhh Richie richie...

Why though? It'd be good to understand why people think he'll be the right man

Won league 2 title with Swindon despite lack of experience. Got his two strikers scoring for fun. Won JPT with Salford. Plays an attractive brand of football. Only young so should get better. Speaks his mind so will be fun to watch interviews again after the dross Moore came out with... and he's a club legend.

I'm sure what's not to like to be honest.

Legend? That's the last thing I'd call him.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #724 on May 12, 2021, 02:51:44 pm by redandwhitearmy »
I don't have a lot of good to say about Rovers right now, but thanks SoundbiteBarmyArmy for your post and the first feeling of light I can see at the end of a very dark tunnel.
And no, I don't want Wellens as manager. He was a good player but had a chip on his shoulder and I don't want to see that again at Doncaster. He always felt he should be playing with his buddies at Man Utd and had been badly treated. I was glad to see him go even as a player. I have no intention of entering into yet another argument on this site. It is my opinion, end of.

For the first time ever I find myself agreeing with Michael Shaw! Wellens is the last person this club needs right now.

I'm guessing with you saying that, he won't be getting the job then ?

I doubt you'd have a opinion so strong If Wellens even had a chance of getting the job.

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #725 on May 12, 2021, 02:52:28 pm by ss1953 »
John Eustace the third man?

Surely it must be Orson Welles  :lol:

Sounds not a lot of difference between Wellens and Welles  :blush:

No it's Harry Lime.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #726 on May 12, 2021, 03:08:18 pm by karldew »
Despite Robinson its hard to see the new manager being anyone else other than Wellens.

Ohhh Richie richie...

Won league 2 title with Swindon despite lack of experience. Got his two strikers scoring for fun. Won JPT with Salford. Plays an attractive brand of football. Only young so should get better. Speaks his mind so will be fun to watch interviews again after the dross Moore came out with... and he's a club legend.

Robinson it is then  :blink:

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #727 on May 12, 2021, 03:09:22 pm by redandwhitearmy »

Ohhh Richie richie...

Robinson it is then  :blink:

Looks that way. No way would SM have such a stance on Wellens If there was any chance he would be getting the job. 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #728 on May 12, 2021, 03:10:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
If it was to be Robinson that would extend our run of non-English managers and also capped internationals as managers. In both instances you have to go back to Dave Penney being appointed nearly two decades ago.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #729 on May 12, 2021, 03:20:55 pm by PDX_Rover »
SO’D was English. Still is.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #730 on May 12, 2021, 03:24:14 pm by MachoMadness »
Played for Ireland though, which I think is what CBCB was referring to.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #731 on May 12, 2021, 03:29:22 pm by PDX_Rover »
Yes. I know that.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #732 on May 12, 2021, 03:30:28 pm by RugbyRover »

Ohhh Richie richie...

Lots of other people would though.

Why suddenly trashing Ritchie Wellens?

He ticks all the boxes, he's the obvious man for the job. But we're going to be "different" aren't we? Doing it the Rovers way, the hard way.

I'm now suffering for pessimism overload :(

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #733 on May 12, 2021, 03:33:43 pm by DearneValleyRover »
John Eustace has suddenly entered the betting at short odds, currently Assistant Manager at QPR

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #734 on May 12, 2021, 03:40:49 pm by redandwhitearmy »

Ohhh Richie richie...

Lots of other people would though.

Why suddenly trashing Ritchie Wellens?

He ticks all the boxes, he's the obvious man for the job. But we're going to be "different" aren't we? Doing it the Rovers way, the hard way.

I'm now suffering for pessimism overload :(

I would too.

All I ever see on this forum is certain individuals trashing RW but nothing ever gets said as to why. People just say they know but either can't say or won't say.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #735 on May 12, 2021, 03:45:26 pm by Chris Black come back »
Played for Ireland though, which I think is what CBCB was referring to.

On the money.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #736 on May 12, 2021, 03:46:46 pm by RoversAlias »
Wellens is definitely a club legend for Rovers. Brilliant player for us, played a major role in getting us promoted to the Championship and then keeping us in it. When he came back, it is widely considered that he was one of our best players and his late-season injury was a big factor in us slumping to relegation in 2014.

Also, our last manager was English. Darren Moore is an Englishman from Birmingham who has lived his entire life in this country. You can say he's Jamaican too, because clearly his heritage is Jamaican, but three international caps for them do not stop him from being English.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #737 on May 12, 2021, 03:46:54 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I doubt you'd have a opinion so strong If Wellens even had a chance of getting the job.

Sounds like it's just his opinion, not the boards thoughts.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #738 on May 12, 2021, 03:50:56 pm by redandwhitearmy »

He isn't normally so outspoken and normally remains quite neutral I'd say.   He does a great job.

I'd be extremely surprised If he get's the job following these comments- But I hope I am wrong.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #739 on May 12, 2021, 03:58:20 pm by Janso »
Louis Tomlinson could be the next manager for all I care as long as he does a good job.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #740 on May 12, 2021, 03:59:33 pm by GazLaz »
Re: Wellens. I’d say the (arguably) the best player in the best team we have had for an exceptionally long time (possibly ever) deserves some kind of legendary status.

The fact he may be abrasive and say things people may not want to hear isn’t necessarily a terrible thing. This is elite sport not comfort zone P.E lesson which is the impression I sometimes get from the clubs mentality.

Contrary to what some may think we are not making any real progress on the football side. Winning awards because players go and pat some school kids on the head is all well and good but we need a manager to drag us forward kicking and screaming. I think Wellens is capable of that, as I’m sure the other two candidates are. Not choosing someone because they may rock the boat and could potentially be too demanding and hard to manage would be madness.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #741 on May 12, 2021, 04:11:29 pm by silent majority »

He isn't normally so outspoken and normally remains quite neutral I'd say.   He does a great job.

I'd be extremely surprised If he get's the job following these comments- But I hope I am wrong.

I have to emphasise that this is my opinion based on certain things. Things I'm not really at liberty to discuss.

But I'm not doing the interviewing, the club are, so it's for the club to decide if he's the right man for the job.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #742 on May 12, 2021, 04:13:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We cannot know whom 'ticks all the boxes' without interviewing them.  We can't appoint managers based on our perception of them.

It seems reasonable to say that our recruitment process is rigorous enough to sort wheat from the chaff.

Just my opinion but describing Wellens as a club legend is stretching it a bit although there's no doubt he was an excellent player for us particularly in his first spell . I'm sure we'd like to think he'd favour our preferred brand of football and try to instill his winning mentality on the squad. Has he got sufficient tools including the man management skills, the temperament and the durability to achieve that, who knows.

What we hear about Robinson seems fairly positive but again, it's for the board to make the ultimate decision.

As we can see from the comments above, some will be pleased and some will be disappointed but, based on what?

We don't really have much choice than to support whomever is appointed and give them the courtesy of some time to stamp his mark on the squad.

It took SO'D some time to to get his philosophies across. Any new manager deserves the same.

There will be those who have already written their reaction to the appointment, no doubt containing the words 'Cheap option' and 'no ambition' however I think the majority of fair minded fans will give the man time.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #743 on May 12, 2021, 04:14:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I do sympathise with SM. He can't make comments without people seeing them as what the board believe.

SM :- "Anderson is crap"

Someone on here :- "OMG the board hate Anderson and want rid."

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #744 on May 12, 2021, 04:16:53 pm by redandwhitearmy »

I have to emphasise that this is my opinion based on certain things. Things I'm not really at liberty to discuss.

But I'm not doing the interviewing, the club are, so it's for the club to decide if he's the right man for the job.

Appreciate the response- I really do.

I understand it's difficult for you to say certain things but I can see just from your response that you are very much against Richie getting the job.

For what it's worth- I hope he does get it. I obviously don't know what you do.

I think Robinson is probably nailed on now though.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #745 on May 12, 2021, 04:17:25 pm by Metalmicky »
the board hate Anderson and want rid."

Who told you that..... :ohmy:........... :whistle:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #746 on May 12, 2021, 04:19:07 pm by GazLaz »

It’s hard to second guess in situations like this but I would imagine and major issues or indiscretions would have been considered early and if they had no intention of possibly giving him the job he wouldn’t have got this far.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #747 on May 12, 2021, 04:20:01 pm by redandwhitearmy »
I do sympathise with SM. He can't make comments without people seeing them as what the board believe.

SM :- "Anderson is crap"

Someone on here :- "OMG the board hate Anderson and want rid."

I know what you mean.

I think it is a normal reaction though when SM rarely seems to make posts based on his opinion, he's normally speaking on behalf of the club/GB.

I'd like to think Wellens has a chance for sure though If he's got this far into the process.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #748 on May 12, 2021, 04:28:22 pm by mushRTID »
Re: Wellens. I’d say the (arguably) the best player in the best team we have had for an exceptionally long time (possibly ever) deserves some kind of legendary status.

The fact he may be abrasive and say things people may not want to hear isn’t necessarily a terrible thing. This is elite sport not comfort zone P.E lesson which is the impression I sometimes get from the clubs mentality.

Contrary to what some may think we are not making any real progress on the football side. Winning awards because players go and pat some school kids on the head is all well and good but we need a manager to drag us forward kicking and screaming. I think Wellens is capable of that, as I’m sure the other two candidates are. Not choosing someone because they may rock the boat and could potentially be too demanding and hard to manage would be madness.

What a fantastic post.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #749 on May 12, 2021, 04:35:13 pm by the vicar »
Choose who gets the job there will be upset fans, that is human nature, but there is upset fans and obnoxious fans but we all need to get behind the man who wins the position and hope he does us proud

TinyPortal © 2005-2012