Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 05:31:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Manager selection update  (Read 94015 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Manager selection update
« Reply #810 on May 12, 2021, 09:53:10 pm by normal rules »
I’d just like a manger where people, in years to come, talk about the way he got the team to play. A bit like the SOD era.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #811 on May 12, 2021, 09:59:01 pm by redandwhitearmy »
I’d just like a manger where people, in years to come, talk about the way he got the team to play. A bit like the SOD era.

Agreed- it wasn't just the football that we played under SOD though, it was the success that came with it too.

I watched the Wellens and Coppinger podcast earlier, and they summed it up perfectly, you had to be a doncaster fan or part of the set up to really realise how good we actually was.   Looking back it was unreal really.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #812 on May 12, 2021, 10:03:59 pm by dknward2 »
Just caught up with all this can’t believe people are describing Wellens as a legend so he’s on par with copps then, some people really need to realign their standards, Wellens was a very good player for us and yes definitely in my first 11 of a rovers team but only 1 player will be a legend the great Sir James Coppinger.

Hopefully we are now less than 48 hours to the announcement of our new manager, now if it is Wellens then fine I will get behind him just like I did with Butler, Moore, McCann and every other manager before because if they succeed that means we (DRFC) have succeeded.

I trust our board to make the right choice I have no idea who is in the interview room asking the potential manager the questions, but if after the hours of questioning and listening and interviewing others about the candidate I believe they will make the right choice and we can look forward to a busy and exciting summer of new players coming in

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #813 on May 13, 2021, 12:11:24 am by dickos1 »
Of course he can be described as a legend,
Copps is a freak, there aren’t many clubs that have players like him.
It doesn’t mean anyone else who doesn’t live upto that can’t be described as a legend.
We’ve plenty of them, and wellens for me is definitely one of them along with people like tierney, blundell, mcindoe, stock, etc etc

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #814 on May 13, 2021, 12:29:24 am by Canadian Rover »
I know everything was awful at the end of this season. But I'd still like to see Andy Butler hang up the boots and be given a real chance with a good experienced coaching team behind him as our Manager next season.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #815 on May 13, 2021, 01:19:47 am by Bristol Red Rover »
The idea should be to recruit players and managers that are the quality or potential quality to operate at the level above before everyone else realises they are. I suppose the compromise there is generally a lack of experience. I think you are better off having an inexperienced quality player/manager than an experienced useless one!

I agree though the "compromise" there is also that they are more likely to jump ship if they are good - McCann for instance. Ideally for me it is someone with less experience but also someone who grows with the club, including taking us up a level and sticking around there with us for a couple of seasons - SOD for example, although not that inexperienced.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #816 on May 13, 2021, 01:43:51 am by scawsby steve »
I know everything was awful at the end of this season. But I'd still like to see Andy Butler hang up the boots and be given a real chance with a good experienced coaching team behind him as our Manager next season.

It can't happen, mate. He's not made the final cut.

Which is a good thing, as it would have badly impacted on the sale of season tickets.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #817 on May 13, 2021, 09:35:55 am by Canadian Rover »
Ahhh ok. I didn't realize.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #818 on May 13, 2021, 10:21:07 am by Frankie Rennie »
Feel some sympathy with you guys and how your hopes we so spectacularly trashed after Moore left but at least you only had a duplicitous manager and can hopefully quickly replace him for next season, whereas at Bolton we had a scumbag owner and a manager in Parky who lets us down in the end. Fortunes can change so quickly in football and with both respectable new owners and manager we are hopefully on the way back up. I look forward to our games next season and wish you well with your manager search. Rovers are a good club and you deserve success but I suspect L1 will be a tough league next year.

Jamesfrancis02

« Reply #819 on May 13, 2021, 12:09:23 pm by Jamesfrancis02 »
Any update about what’s happening with interviews etc today or about when it’s going to be announced etc

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #820 on May 13, 2021, 12:22:27 pm by silent majority »
Any update about what’s happening with interviews etc today or about when it’s going to be announced etc

The board are interviewing the short list of 3 applicants today.

Announcement tonight if possible, but otherwise tomorrow, fingers crossed.

However if contract negotiations are extended then it would be after the weekend.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #821 on May 13, 2021, 12:35:39 pm by roversdude »
Thanks SM are these face to face or virtual meetings

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #822 on May 13, 2021, 12:37:37 pm by silent majority »
Thanks SM are these face to face or virtual meetings

Face to face.

Lets hope that its a smooth process.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #823 on May 13, 2021, 12:55:27 pm by roversdude »
Thanks Martin

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #824 on May 13, 2021, 01:27:21 pm by Metalmicky »
So next week it is then..... :whistle:

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #825 on May 13, 2021, 01:48:49 pm by keith79 »
Great stuff. Exciting times

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #826 on May 13, 2021, 02:02:08 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Thank you very much for the stream of updates, SM.

You take some unnecessary flack but keep doing it so fair play for that.

Excited to see who we get in.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #827 on May 13, 2021, 02:04:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No question that Wellens was a superb player in O'Driscoll's side.

But I'm surprised how little comment there has been about how Wellens acted in 2015. Whatever was going on at that time, Wellens's actions off-field clearly thoroughly pissed off Rob Jones, to the extent that Wellens was packed off to train with the kids. That raises questions to me about whether he is the right sort of personality to be a successful manager.

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #828 on May 13, 2021, 02:08:18 pm by northern soul »
Thank you very much for the stream of updates, SM.

You take some unnecessary flack but keep doing it so fair play for that.

Excited to see who we get in.

I echo this.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #829 on May 13, 2021, 03:45:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Looking at the numbers behind Wellens and Robinson I'd still prefer Wellens but either of them will bring more attacking and more pressing play than what we've been accustomed to this season. Looking forward to it!

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #830 on May 13, 2021, 03:52:35 pm by Fal »
Thanks for the updates SM, i know you can be a scapegoat when it comes to any critiscism of the club but is good to get some inside info from time to time. The piece by Hoden was brilliant too to better understand what the hell went off this season.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #831 on May 13, 2021, 04:31:14 pm by the vicar »
It doesn’t mean anyone else who doesn’t live upto that can’t be described as a legend.
We’ve plenty of them, and wellens for me is definitely one of them along with people like tierney, blundell, mcindoe, stock, etc etc
He Wellens could have been a legend but he pissed off when he knew the big money men failed to take over the club so that makes him a back stabbed not a legend

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #832 on May 13, 2021, 04:37:35 pm by silent majority »
Thanks for the updates SM, i know you can be a scapegoat when it comes to any critiscism of the club but is good to get some inside info from time to time. The piece by Hoden was brilliant too to better understand what the hell went off this season.

It's always a case of shooting the messenger though Fal. Something I have got used to.

But not for much longer, I'll be stepping down this year.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #833 on May 13, 2021, 04:38:53 pm by silent majority »
He Wellens could have been a legend but he pissed off when he knew the big money men failed to take over the club so that makes him a back stabbed not a legend

Just one of the many things he did Dave.
Well said.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #834 on May 13, 2021, 04:44:25 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Wellens only real concern is number one, and I don't mean the goalkeeper. He'll do a McCann/Moore at the sniff of something he thinks is good for him.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #835 on May 13, 2021, 04:44:50 pm by dickos1 »

I’m not sure which occasion you mean?
He didn’t leave when the takeover fell through he was just lined up by them to sign of it went through but when it didn’t there was no offer of a contract for him.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #836 on May 13, 2021, 04:45:01 pm by Batleyred »
Wellens it is then
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:26:25 pm by Batleyred »

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #837 on May 13, 2021, 05:00:20 pm by ian1980 »

It's always a case of shooting the messenger though Fal. Something I have got used to.

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear that SM. That decision hasn’t come about very recently due to a particular person being appointed has it?

Super Colin Cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #838 on May 13, 2021, 05:02:17 pm by Super Colin Cramb »

That will be a real shame when you step down, as I feel you do a great job. You take the flack and abuse in your stride with great professionalism.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #839 on May 13, 2021, 05:08:12 pm by graingrover »
So another goodbye ..this time SM ..it’s a total reboot then and another testimonial SM’s Vikings Co op  v The Board’s Eleven ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012