Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 09:22:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Peterborough United game  (Read 10270 times)

POD

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Peterborough United game
« Reply #90 on May 01, 2021, 07:36:23 pm by POD »
Just seen Peterborough's penalty today.

That is quite possibly the most shocking refereeing mistake in the history of the game.

....and it couldn’t have come at a more important time in a more important match in our division.   As soon as I saw it on Sky sports I called it as a cynical dive.    I was surprised that the Sky Reporter and Jeff Stelling in the studio didn’t make more of it.

I’ll be watching the highlights on Quest later tonight to see what the pundits have to say, but if that were given against my team I’d be fuming. 

I wonder if Darren Ferguson thought the referee ‘wanted shooting’ or was he keeping his head down in embarrassment?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on May 01, 2021, 07:40:29 pm by the vicar »
Now that man is a real toilet, or if you want to talk straight a real shit house

HomerJSimpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on May 01, 2021, 07:43:07 pm by HomerJSimpson »
That’s a shocking decision in what was a massive massive game, I hate cheating anyway but if I was a Posh fan I’d be embarrassed. It’s the reason why fans fall out of love with the game

https://twitter.com/josh_russ10/status/1388523116121534468?s=21

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on May 01, 2021, 08:03:33 pm by the vicar »
Ferguson will be saying it was the totally right decision being a toilet

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on May 01, 2021, 08:05:33 pm by Chris Black come back »
That is genuinely the very worst decision I have ever seen given.

The ref needs immediately dismissing and the player should be given at least a season ban.

Absolutely flagrant cheating of the worst kind. Truly dreadful.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on May 01, 2021, 08:07:57 pm by the vicar »
If it happened against us we would be ripping the TV apart to get to the ref

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on May 01, 2021, 08:08:08 pm by Campsall rover »
Oh unbelievable watching that clip. BST is right i thought he was exaggerating.

He deliberately ran into the defender and threw himself to the floor hands spread out to make it look dramatic.

How can any professional referee fall for that.

I do not ever like to call refs cheats because they make shocking mistakes usually because they did not get a good angle view or just incompetence, but that decision looks distinctly suspicious.
Are Peterborough happy to get promotion this way are they so desperate. Do they need to cheat.
I am saying no more or i could over step the mark without evidence.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:22:34 pm by Campsall rover »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on May 01, 2021, 08:15:27 pm by PDX_Rover »
Sad that such a poor decision had such a huge significance.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on May 01, 2021, 08:15:55 pm by Rovers91 »
Lincoln seem to get a penalty nearly every week I'm sure it's a bit of karma.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on May 01, 2021, 08:16:25 pm by Donnyjim »
You could tell by the Lincoln players reaction, what a shocker it was. They’ll be straight back down.  :turd: Boro

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on May 01, 2021, 08:21:34 pm by Jonathan »
I’ll be honest if I was a Peterborough fan I’d not feel any shame or embarrassment, I’d be delighted! They showed some fight to come back from 3-0 down notwithstanding the ridiculous penalty decision. It’s still a great way to win promotion. Fair play to them they’re always competitive and they invest well. Their chairman is a cock, though.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on May 01, 2021, 08:27:29 pm by Campsall rover »
I%u2019ll be honest if I was a Peterborough fan I%u2019d not feel any shame or embarrassment, I%u2019d be delighted! They showed some fight to come back from 3-0 down notwithstanding the ridiculous penalty decision. It%u2019s still a great way to win promotion. Fair play to them they%u2019re always competitive and they invest well. Their chairman is a cock, though.
Well yes fair dues, they have scored goals for fun and probably deserve to go up ( saying with gritted teeth )
but Jonathan would you seriously be happy getting the point you need by blatent cheating. It leaves a very sour taste for me.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on May 01, 2021, 08:43:47 pm by drfchound »
Ridiculous decision to give that pen and the ref wasn’t even far away from what happened.
The Lincoln defender clearly jumps out of the way to make sure there is no contact but the Peterbro player leaps into him and throws himself to the ground.
I have to agree with BST about the decision rating.
The Peterbro diver should have had at least a yellow card for simulation.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:48:39 pm by drfchound »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on May 01, 2021, 08:44:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
In a game that mattered they cheated to get a result. Not “were lucky” or “squeaked a result” but outright cheated. Cheats.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on May 01, 2021, 08:54:02 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

He deliberately ran into the defender and threw himself to the floor hands spread out to make it look dramatic.

I do not ever like to call refs cheats because they make shocking mistakes usually because they did not get a good angle view or just incompetence, but that decision looks distinctly suspicious.
Are Peterborough happy to get promotion this way are they so desperate. Do they need to cheat.

You’re right Camps, referees do make some shocking mistakes for whatever reason. I should know, I used to be a ref. in my youth/middle age! But for what reason would they cheat? Surely you don’t mean cheat in the obvious meaning of the word, i.e act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage?

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on May 01, 2021, 09:09:44 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Even Posh fans can’t believe it:

https://londonroad.net/Forum/showthread.php?tid=19391...pages 16 & 17.

For example:
“Happy days. We cheated our way into the Championship in a way that will make Wycombe seem paragons of virtue.”

“We got the dodgiest pen ever and have just gone the f**k up.   :clapping:

“F***ing hell!

“Never a pen, but who cares?”

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on May 01, 2021, 09:10:05 pm by scawsby steve »
For all of you that hate VAR, this is the reason you're lumbered with it, and we'd have it in our league if it wasn't so expensive.

Players cheat, and the very worst decisions always seem to happen in the most important games, e.g. Maradona, Thierry Henry, and that disgrace today.

If you want the spontaneity that technology ruins, then you'll have to put up with the cheating.

You can't have it both ways, because the standard of refereeing is so poor.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on May 01, 2021, 09:13:38 pm by POD »
For all of you that hate VAR, this is the reason you're lumbered with it, and we'd have it in our league if it wasn't so expensive.

Players cheat, and the very worst decisions always seem to happen in the most important games, e.g. Maradona, Thierry Henry, and that disgrace today.

If you want the spontaneity that technology ruins, then you'll have to put up with the cheating.

You can't have it both ways, because the standard of refereeing is so poor.

Not sure that VAR would have overturned the decision.   It was clear and obvious to me but who knows?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on May 01, 2021, 09:17:25 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
VAR just brings a different set of controversy and unfair decisions. Lincoln might want it tonight but when the dust settles I think almost everyone would agree the game is better without it

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on May 01, 2021, 09:21:50 pm by drfchound »
If my memory is correct, VAR was supposed to be to put right any clear and obvious errors.
That decision today was a clear and obvious error, unlike some of the silly “offside because his hand was ahead of the defenders knee” things that are highlighted most weeks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 10:16:16 pm by drfchound »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on May 01, 2021, 09:27:44 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If my memory is correct, VAR was supposed to be to put righ5 any clear and obvious errors.
That decision today was a clear and obvious error, unlike some of the silly “offside because his hand was ahead of the defenders knee” things that are highlighted most weeks.

If only it was used like that it’d be decent. Pick up mistaken identities for cards and serious errors from officials. We’d hardly ever see it used it’d be like goal line technology which works well.

Unfortunately once introduced it’s too tempting to use it for every decision.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on May 01, 2021, 09:36:53 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
In a game that mattered they cheated to get a result. Not “were lucky” or “squeaked a result” but outright cheated. Cheats.

Sadly, CBcb, they are professional footballers and cheating is part of the game. I would seriously suggest that this cheating is encouraged by their managers and coaches. (What about that recent ridiculous ‘screaming incident’ involving Arsenal’s Lacazette?) It’s this part of the game that I really hate, and why my love of the so-called beautiful game is at an all-time low. Just where is the integrity of these people? The clue probably lies in the size of their bank balance!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:53:47 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on May 01, 2021, 10:06:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just seen it and it is indeed disgraceful. Disgraceful that a player goes to that length to cheat and disgraceful that a professional referee can be fooled by it. 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on May 01, 2021, 10:08:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Just watching EFL on Quest.

So the pundits agree it was a terrible dive but it’s seems it’s ok to win promotion by cheating. Because they have had a very good season.

Sorry cheating is cheating and that was blatant cheating. What the heck was the ref looking at as he had a perfect view.

No ref can be that bad sorry. That has more than a bad decision written all over it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on May 01, 2021, 10:18:34 pm by drfchound »
Just watching EFL on Quest.

So the pundits agree it was a terrible dive but it’s seems it’s ok to win promotion by cheating. Because they have had a very good season.

Sorry cheating is cheating and that was blatant cheating. What the heck was the ref looking at as he had a perfect view.

No ref can be that bad sorry. That has more than a bad decision written all over it.

The panel on the Quest show condoned the cheating.
Pathetic, why not just call it out.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on May 01, 2021, 10:23:16 pm by Campsall rover »

You’re right Camps, referees do make some shocking mistakes for whatever reason. I should know, I used to be a ref. in my youth/middle age! But for what reason would they cheat? Surely you don’t mean cheat in the obvious meaning of the word, i.e act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage?
I don’t know wilts. You tell me. I can’t make any accusations  in this case because i have no evidence.
It has happened in the past hasn’t it. Mostly foreign refs.

Looking at that decision today where the ref had a perfectly clear view of the incident to make such a decision in the 96th min with what was at stake for both teams. Questions need to be asked, as that was one of if not the worst “blunder” i have ever seen.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on May 01, 2021, 10:26:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just watched it again 3 times. Just to see if I was over reacting before.

Just...HOW the f**k has the referee, with a clear view, given that? I have honestly never ever seen such an awful decision.

I'd be utterly embarrassed and humiliated if we clinched promotion with cheating like that. I can just about understand the worst kind of player doing it. But what is the point of celebrating that as a fan?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on May 01, 2021, 10:37:37 pm by Campsall rover »
If that is what the game has come to then we should all pack in.

What would Fergie have said about that if that had happened against his side and it had cost them the opportunity of promotion.
He would have got a 6 month ban for foul and abusive language which he would have used on the ref at the final whistle.

It looks as though Michael Appleton has shown great dignity by saying nothing. He must be seething.

I honestly think we may have beaten Posh next week or still may do of course.
Lincoln i think would have won their last 2 games and still may do so.
If we were Lincoln fans right now how would we be feeling.
This forum would be so hot it would be on fire.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 10:44:49 pm by Campsall rover »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on May 01, 2021, 10:52:37 pm by tyke1962 »
The fact is Peterborough have got over the line after 45 games .

The pen to do it is massively debatable but it doesn't alter the fact they've got the required points over the season .

The owners McAnthoney is a complete bell end but I have no dog in the fight with Fergie junior .

Peterborough aren't afraid to sell their best players and back themselves to reinvest and progress .

It's a likeable model despite the respective incumbents at the helm in the boardroom and the technical area .

However you have to respect the strategy because finally it's paid off for them .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on May 01, 2021, 10:59:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
That was not just any old end of season game though. This was the game that really mattered to them. They cheated their way to a result with virtually the last kick in the game. It was cheating, as clear as day. Cheats.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012