Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 01:09:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Guard of honour  (Read 4235 times)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
Guard of honour
« on April 29, 2021, 07:30:12 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I can't find the thread where this was previously mentioned so best to start afresh.

Let's make it happen for Copps for Peterborough at home. A social distanced guard of honour for him to drive/walk through.

Got to be done. Surely.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Guard of honour
« Reply #1 on April 29, 2021, 09:58:47 pm by Campsall rover »
One more year.

Please please JC change your mind.

Give us supporters the opportunity to give you a proper send off. You deserve to be playing your final season in a stadium full or at least half full of fans.

Come on Copps one more year. You can still make a very significant contribution on the training ground, in the dressing room and on the pitch wearing those Red & White hoops.

You know it makes sense.  :) :) :)

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2021, 07:13:56 am by DRNaith »
I can't find the thread where this was previously mentioned so best to start afresh.

Let's make it happen for Copps for Peterborough at home. A social distanced guard of honour for him to drive/walk through.

Got to be done. Surely.

Yep.

Things that need to be found out would include, what time he gets to the ground, if he's going to be earlier that day, his usual route to the ground and if we're going to need any official permission for a distanced gathering of this nature.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2021, 07:50:53 am by German Rover »

Got to be done. Surely.

I hate to be a party pooper, but the best way to celebrate his time with us may not be to set up a superspreader event in his honour. Social Distancing would be hard to maintain, everyone would want to be at the stadium end and its inevitable that appropriate distances wouldn't be kept.

The Club will have something in mind for when we are allowed back in the stadium, it may be worth waiting for that.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2021, 07:55:04 am by i_ateallthepies »

Got to be done. Surely.

I hate to be a party pooper, but the best way to celebrate his time with us may not be to set up a superspreader event in his honour. Social Distancing would be hard to maintain, everyone would want to be at the stadium end and its inevitable that appropriate distances wouldn't be kept.

The Club will have something in mind for when we are allowed back in the stadium, it may be worth waiting for that.

This, precisely.  You can just see it can't you, the event would attract media coverage for the right and the wrong reasons.  The support-base and the Club in particular would attract severe public criticism.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2021, 08:17:36 am by GazLaz »

Got to be done. Surely.

“Super spreader”, there’s nothing to spread. Covid in Doncaster will be pretty much non existent by then.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2021, 09:17:12 am by 5 on Tour »

Got to be done. Surely.

“Super spreader”, there’s nothing to spread. Covid in Doncaster will be pretty much non existent by then.

Awesome news Gaz. When are you announcing that you’ve taken over as chief medical officer for the NHS?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 30, 2021, 09:22:41 am by DRNaith »

Got to be done. Surely.

Fair point. I suppose in my naivety I expect people to operate to the same rules as I do.

Super Colin Cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 30, 2021, 09:23:34 am by Super Colin Cramb »
From what I have read we are in the top 3 places in the country for positive COVID cases. As stated a guard on honour would attract the wrong type of publicity.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 30, 2021, 10:09:45 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Points duly noted.

May be slightly selfish to celebrate 1 great man in ways which could offend others who have lost people close to them in the last year or so.

However, would be nice if we could make it work.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 30, 2021, 01:24:37 pm by Spud »
It's a great idea in theory but such a shame it probably can't happen for the reasons already stated. While most would probably conduct themselves in the right manner there'll always be the ones that don't & attract the wrong kind of publicity.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 30, 2021, 01:26:43 pm by drfchound »
From what I have read we are in the top 3 places in the country for positive COVID cases. As stated a guard on honour would attract the wrong type of publicity.

Much of that high rate has been tracked back to three illegal parties.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 30, 2021, 02:55:10 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
One more year.

Please please JC change your mind.

Give us supporters the opportunity to give you a proper send off. You deserve to be playing your final season in a stadium full or at least half full of fans.

Come on Copps one more year. You can still make a very significant contribution on the training ground, in the dressing room and on the pitch wearing those Red & White hoops.

You know it makes sense.  :) :) :)

I'd like him to become player/coach and gradually ease himself oyt of the first team squad. Copps has a (couple?) academies up Middlesbrough way and it would be mutually beneficial if we can maintain a link with him - if he identifies anyone good enough at one of his academies he'd have the contact with Rovers to help his student move upwards, and Rovers would benefit as we'd have someone finding them young enough to spot them earlier than other clubs. Also, once it was known that a Copps academy could be a fast track to a professional contract it's attract more (and hopefully better) students year on year.

Everyone's a winner!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 30, 2021, 02:59:51 pm by GazLaz »
Number two to Wellens as manager. Very unlikely but it would be interesting.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2021, 04:43:25 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Set tables up all over outside the belle vie bar. Have drinks delivered to the table on his arrival and sit with 6 other people next to each other who you have no idea if they have or haven't got Covid. Job done and this is currently allowed.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 30, 2021, 04:46:19 pm by Janso »

Got to be done. Surely.

Fair point. I suppose in my naivety I expect people to operate to the same rules as I do.

Don't forget that it isn't that long ago that one of us wrote DRFC in their own shite on the back of a toilet door.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 30, 2021, 04:48:54 pm by vaya »

Got to be done. Surely.

Don't forget that it isn't that long ago that one of us wrote DRFC in their own shite on the back of a toilet door.

Letters decreasing in size as it went along.

Bad planning like that doesn't reflect well on the fanbase either.

rtidfco

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 02, 2021, 08:55:46 am by rtidfco »
Just posted this idea but then removed as I see already covered. Plenty of room around the Keepmoat to be in line with the rules. Just needs the Club, the man himself and someone to coordinate. I'm sure there are plenty on here who could Marshall it. Although in Kent I'd be there like a shot. Come on folks make the impossible possible

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 02, 2021, 09:26:07 am by EasyforDennis »
Well if a concert for 5k can be held today with no face masks and no social distancing why should a welcome by our fans wearing masks for JC be a problem?

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 02, 2021, 10:51:20 am by colfromdonny »
And the carboot is up and running

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 02, 2021, 11:44:28 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Well if a concert for 5k can be held today with no face masks and no social distancing why should a welcome by our fans wearing masks for JC be a problem?

Because the concert is in a tent, perhaps, and it's still only an experiment.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 02, 2021, 12:57:20 pm by ravenrover »
And they have to all had a negative test result before checked on arrival and another test after all part of an experiment by Liverpool Uni to see what happens when crowds gather with no social distancing or masks

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 03, 2021, 11:34:13 am by Donnywolf »
 :that: No such testing at KCom though I am guessing

Why not put a fence around Keepmoat 4 metres from wall -

"Worshippers of Copps" arrive and take up positions every 2 metres all around Ground -

All Players go straight in except 26 JC who does 1 lap of Ground to suitable applause / cheers
Well wishers all behave -

Oh well it wasnt bad idea till then

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 03, 2021, 11:38:12 am by Bentley Bullet »
Why not just a testimonial match for him at the KMS when it's safe to open up the stadium in full?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 03, 2021, 11:58:56 am by Campsall rover »
Think a testimonial match BB is the only really viable option while there are no crowds or limited capacities allowed.

Your suggestion wins it for me.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 03, 2021, 12:34:15 pm by drfchound »
Why not just a testimonial match for him at the KMS when it's safe to open up the stadium in full?

I said the same thing on here a few days ago BB.
It could well be a sell out.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 03, 2021, 12:41:55 pm by Filo »
He’s already had a testimonial 

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 03, 2021, 12:51:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Copps deserves two!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 03, 2021, 01:10:20 pm by Campsall rover »
Does not have to be a testimonial though.
Could just make it an Exhibition match with proceeds going to maybe a charity or charities of Copps choice.

But yes he does deserve a 2nd testimonial or even a 3rd one. I am sure he would not expect one and (without speaking for him ) would probably think the other option would be one he would be very pleased to be given.
Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:17:09 pm by Campsall rover »

CoppsChop

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 03, 2021, 02:20:45 pm by CoppsChop »
:that: No such testing at KCom though I am guessing

Why not put a fence around Keepmoat 4 metres from wall -

"Worshippers of Copps" arrive and take up positions every 2 metres all around Ground -

All Players go straight in except 26 JC who does 1 lap of Ground to suitable applause / cheers
Well wishers all behave -

Oh well it wasnt bad idea till then

I like the idea but with the car boot, matches on at the pitches besides the Keepmoat, and possible vaccinations good luck fitting everyone in!

As sad as it feels we have to accept we cant do this we just need the club to realise and plan a celebration game for him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012