Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 09:26:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who is your choice?  (Read 6952 times)

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
Who is your choice?
« on May 06, 2021, 03:02:33 pm by redandwhitearmy »
So I know there's been loads of different topic/s on different managers etc but I'm interested to see who everybody's first choice would be? (keeping it realistic of course)

Who's your realistic choice and why?

I'll kick it off-

First choice for me would be R.Wellens.

Main Reasons-
He knows the club. (Previously said he'd like to manage us in the future)
Plays attractive football.
Previously worked with a tight budget.
His recruitment at Swindon was excellent.
Won league title with Swindon.
Won Papa Johns Trophy with Salford
Speaks very well and comes across very intelligent on and off the pitch.

He was dismissed at Oldham after being relegated after a great start but they were in turmoil at the time and he seemingly was always going to have his work cut out. His first experience as a manager also which I'm sure he has learnt a lot from.    As for his sacking at Salford, that was down to a disagreement with the board over playing styles If you believe the tabloids, it was incredibly harsh for him to lose his job.

I'm sure there is quite a few good candidates but for me, he would be my first choice. (Assuming he has applied ofcourse)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Who is your choice?
« Reply #1 on May 06, 2021, 03:17:03 pm by ravenrover »
Wonder how much Doyle was on at Swindon?

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 06, 2021, 03:22:52 pm by redandwhitearmy »

Not a great deal I wouldn't imagine- He came from Bradford on loan initially and then they signed him on a permanent in the January on a six month contract, he turned down new terms to stay in league 2 because Bolton offered him more money than Swindon could offer.    It's the same reason they couldn't sign Jerry Yates after a brilliant loan spell.

It's well documented that Swindon don't have a big budget and don't pay big wages- There is a interview with Wellens speaking about it here -
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17620621.swindon-town-manager-richie-wellens-will-make-budget-work-next-season/

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 06, 2021, 03:31:34 pm by ravenrover »
I thought he was on a right packet which was why Bradford were so keen to get rid

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 06, 2021, 05:40:42 pm by selby »
Whoever the Board pick get's my support.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 06, 2021, 07:03:39 pm by the vicar »
My choice is wait and see

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 06, 2021, 08:46:17 pm by streathamdave »
It won't be him but my first choice would be Brian McDermott. Plays football the right way. Intelligent man. Managed at a higher level than us but currently not in work. Was with Arsenal youth set up most recently until 2020 so despite not being manager for a while is still in touch with the game. Should know a thing or two about developing young talent and will have good links in the game. Of an age where he is young enough to do job well, but less likely to be poached.  Hope we get a manager with good experience who plays attractive football and who can share his ideas well with players, media and fans.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 06, 2021, 08:53:48 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Whoever the Board pick get's my support.

And mine too,  but that's not what I asked.

As a supporter you must have a person you'd like to see in charge, I don't understand why everybody like yourself and Vicar get so uptight in your responses.

Comes on a football forum and then says "wait and see" ...

If you've nothing constructive to add, why bother?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 06, 2021, 09:04:12 pm by BobG »
Daniel Stendel

Because I think he's the best one out there that we have a chance of affording.

BobG

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 06, 2021, 09:08:59 pm by scawsby steve »
Daniel Stendel

Because I think he's the best one out there that we have a chance of affording.

BobG

I think he's been ruled out by Liam Hoden, Bob.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 06, 2021, 09:20:06 pm by BobG »
Yes I saw that SS. But the question was 'Who is your choice'? Not 'who is your choice allegedly still in the running'? :):):)

Cheers

BobG

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 06, 2021, 09:25:53 pm by sheffield exile1 »
It won't be him but my first choice would be Brian McDermott. Plays football the right way. Intelligent man. Managed at a higher level than us but currently not in work. Was with Arsenal youth set up most recently until 2020 so despite not being manager for a while is still in touch with the game. Should know a thing or two about developing young talent and will have good links in the game. Of an age where he is young enough to do job well, but less likely to be poached.  Hope we get a manager with good experience who plays attractive football and who can share his ideas well with players, media and fans.

Seems he had a bad break at Reading and lets face it Leeds had a spell of "manager of the week" at one point if they lasted more than 7 days. However he is 60 so not that young. I would definitely consider him but as you say unlikely he is in the frame. Interesting we are looking at managers in work who have applied. Wonder about the Cheltenham guy or possibly Cambridge? If the former, will he bring Alfie, Williams etc to become Rovers Mk2?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 06, 2021, 09:25:58 pm by Jonathan »
Wellens for me. I know some may have reservations about him, but I think given the right project he could be a really good manager. He has some really interesting thoughts on the game, and he wants his teams to play entertaining football.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 06, 2021, 09:30:45 pm by mushRTID »
Wellens for me and I think it’s going to be.
Swindon fans loved him, type in “Wellensball” to twitter and the top tweet is when he signed a new contract, the replies said it all.

Watched a couple of his interviews on YouTube and like what I see.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 06, 2021, 10:40:42 pm by idler »
The talk in Bradford at the time was between 6k and 8k a week. City were also reportedly paying more than half of this when he was at Swindon. He came back to City but let it be known that he didn’t want to be there.  City then sold him to Swindon in a cut price deal after Swindon wanted him back on loan

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 06, 2021, 11:18:40 pm by selby »
  Redandwhitearmy, I am not uptight at all about who is the next manager, I have no input or influence at all who the board of directors will decide in good faith to appoint to be our next first team manager, and will not be placing a bet on who it will be because I have no idea.
  I have no idea even who they are interviewing other than who I read on here other people with no more idea than myself in many cases have said who has been invited to have an interview.
   My own choice would be Mr Clough JNR or Derek McGinnes if I had a choice which I don't, both the last two selected by our board have been good enough to be coveted by other clubs who have been willing to pay us a considerable sum of money for their services, so have some proven expertise in selecting team managers, so as stated my opinion is to support whoever the board select, and until that decision is made I am not that interested or uptight as you described it at all.
  When the manager is announced then I will become interested in what he has to say and does.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:23:44 pm by selby »

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 07, 2021, 05:52:45 am by Rovers91 »
I would quite like Clough as manager if he was someone getting interviewed, I would also be happy with Wellens.

Buzzberry

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 07, 2021, 06:37:42 am by Buzzberry »
Steve Kean.

CaptainStock

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 07, 2021, 08:45:00 am by CaptainStock »
Richie Wellens for me.

He knows and understands the club. Wants to play attacking possession based football, knows how to work on a small budget.

I'm confident if people aren't pulling their weight, he will give them the kick up the backside that they deserve (something which has been missing for the second half of this season). I'd love nothing more than for him to be a successful manager here given his past.

I do however trust in the board with the decision, just saying.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 07, 2021, 09:52:58 am by Bentley Bullet »
Richie Wellens. An integral part of the halcyon days and a potential major ingrediant in the team's return to them.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 07, 2021, 10:26:18 am by bedale rover »
Boothroyd

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 07, 2021, 10:37:27 am by MachoMadness »
Of the names not ruled out, it has to be Wellens for me.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 07, 2021, 10:46:07 am by DonnyOsmond »

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 07, 2021, 11:01:31 am by redandwhitearmy »
His interviews are well worth listening too, I know it doesn't make you a great manager but he is much more interesting to listen to than DM etc.   Very knowledgeable and just has a genuine passion for the game.

His teams are set up to play very attractive attacking football also.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 07, 2021, 11:04:56 am by the vicar »
Richie Wellens. An integral part of the halcyon days and a potential major ingrediant in the team's return to them.
when choosing a new manager we should not let sentiment get in the way.  Yes I liked Richie W when he was playing but to bring him back as manager cos we loved him as a player is wrong, and if as some have said he had bust ups with other players when here then he IS the wrong man.  As a manager should be above any baby spats with his players.  But if he gets the job I will be right behind him
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:07:18 am by the vicar »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 07, 2021, 11:24:41 am by drfchound »
There are always bust ups amongst players.
Just as in any other workplace.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 07, 2021, 11:55:03 am by NickDRFC »
when choosing a new manager we should not let sentiment get in the way.  Yes I liked Richie W when he was playing but to bring him back as manager cos we loved him as a player is wrong, and if as some have said he had bust ups with other players when here then he IS the wrong man.  As a manager should be above any baby spats with his players.  But if he gets the job I will be right behind him

He had bust ups with other players when he was a player, doesn’t mean he won’t be able to manage a squad now.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 07, 2021, 12:23:18 pm by Goole Rover »
Managers have different styles, the hard line works for some but not for others you learn as you develop. One thing is for sure the majority of the current squad could do with a boot behind them or a manager with bags of experience.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 07, 2021, 12:56:52 pm by RoversAlias »
Something else that those bringing up Wellens' alleged past fall-outs with board members, Butler or whoever are missing, is that if the club is willing to consider hiring him as manager now...then they are no doubt well past any issues that occurred some 4-5 years ago or more.

In the pursuit of success, people butt heads. Wellens was part of a good amount of success here and elsewhere in his career, and has as solid a CV as any 41-year-old manager with only a few years experience could have. He has achieved success and experienced failure as well as working at three clubs with very different set-ups and outlooks. It looks a good fit.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 07, 2021, 01:20:32 pm by Retdon1 »
From the list of rumoured names, Idd be happy with either of these
1. Stendel
2. Hasslebank
3. Wellens

TinyPortal © 2005-2012