Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 12:17:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great article from Hoden  (Read 10758 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Great article from Hoden
« Reply #30 on May 13, 2021, 07:45:27 am by SydneyRover »
Maybe the reason DM brought in youngsters was because he genuinely thought that was the best use of the available budget ?

It was the reason. It turned out to be a bad decision over the course of the season. That’s what managers live and die by. Hopefully the next one has better instincts

Not quite over the course of the season, if at all the last chunk.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 13, 2021, 07:51:53 am by SydneyRover »
23 weeks in the top six is not down to luck or over achieving by any measure, yes the ending wasn't pretty but we lost a manager.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 13, 2021, 07:59:40 am by danumdon »
The mans gone, I think a good number on here had this individuals number from the get go, All the nonsense about buying into Club  Doncaster and  his faux pious nature,  he took plenty in and I believe they all know it.

As in any industry football is a dog eat dog situation and this individual miked us for all our worth, I’m just happy his true nature manifested itself in the manner it did for all to see, including them poor sh*ts in S6.

A great many fans of his previous clubs warned us about his failing grasp on their clubs, he just excelled with us in this department.

You could say it will be interesting to see how it all pans out for him, but it really  is not, f**k him, we move onto the next one, let’s hope he’s more honourable and respectful than this joker.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 13, 2021, 08:12:55 am by Filo »
You could see in his interviews with the media he was lying, his wry smile was a massive give away

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 13, 2021, 08:21:10 am by SydneyRover »
eyes too close together huh?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 13, 2021, 09:15:05 am by Campsall rover »
Interesting that Hoden has written %u201CRarely had they (Rovers) blown teams away or thoroughly dominated games%u201D.
It makes you wonder what some posters had seen that most other supporters (and Hoden apparently) hadn%u2019t.
Selective memory perhaps.

The article is a very good insight into what was going on during our collapse.
Dead right, mate. I got poo-pooed on here by some posters for suggesting that Rovers had overachieved in the first half of the season, and had been hanging on in some games.

It seems Hoden thought the same.
We did totally outplay Charlton A, Bristol Rovers H and Ipswich H
There were other games where we were pretty dominant also.

The summing up by Hoden was very insightful though and is a very much in the main the way i see it also.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:50:12 pm by Campsall rover »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 13, 2021, 09:18:37 am by silent majority »
What's lying beneath that comment about issues with time keeping?? Is it Moore not turning up on time? Or him letting players waltz in when they felt like it? Or something else?

BobG

I did try and hint at certain issues with DM during the season. In one particular instance I described him as 'too laid back' which was an understatement, but one I hoped people would grasp.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 13, 2021, 09:21:40 am by selby »
  He was the manager SM, will have known about the situation as it arose and should have stamped it out immediately, that was his job, it looks like he shat the bed and buggered off and wasn't up to the job to me.
  We are well rid.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 13, 2021, 09:27:34 am by DRNaith »
  He was the manager SM, will have known about the situation as it arose and should have stamped it out immediately, that was his job, it looks like he shat the bed and buggered off and wasn't up to the job to me.
  We are well rid.

Selby, I'm reading the time keeping issue mainly being with Moore, not the players. I could be wrong of course.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 13, 2021, 09:36:42 am by the vicar »
So if true he is a liar cheat and a scoundrel lying to players he was signing, cheating us fans of our premonition we deserved, and scoundrel letting it all get to the players and causing fights in the changing room. Oh and anything else you can think of.  I for one hope we never see his face in our club again other than with the opposition

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 13, 2021, 09:44:51 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Interesting that Hoden has written “Rarely had they (Rovers) blown teams away or thoroughly dominated games”.
It makes you wonder what some posters had seen that most other supporters (and Hoden apparently) hadn’t.

Dead right, mate. I got poo-pooed on here by some posters for suggesting that Rovers had overachieved in the first half of the season, and had been hanging on in some games.

The summing up by Hoden was very insightful though and is a very much in the main the way i see it also.

Totally agree. The opinion that we were in such a strong position earlier in the season through nothing more than luck is quite wrong. We were playing very well, teams were nervous about facing us and the players were playing with confidence, effort and determination. However something occurred during February time which totally threw that on its head. I’m sure that Hoden is telling us what happened in his article, but I’ve always been shit at reading in between the lines!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 13, 2021, 10:25:44 am by GazLaz »
What's lying beneath that comment about issues with time keeping?? Is it Moore not turning up on time? Or him letting players waltz in when they felt like it? Or something else?

BobG

I did try and hint at certain issues with DM during the season. In one particular instance I described him as 'too laid back' which was an understatement, but one I hoped people would grasp.

Take away the fact he left, did the recruitment process fail in getting the right man? I never thought he was the right man but it was a situation where it was difficult not to appoint him, if that makes sense.

He left WBA a side that although they were in an ok league position they were underperforming and I could tell from his interviews he was a blagger. There was never any depth to them.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 13, 2021, 11:46:09 am by MachoMadness »
Interesting that Hoden has written “Rarely had they (Rovers) blown teams away or thoroughly dominated games”.
It makes you wonder what some posters had seen that most other supporters (and Hoden apparently) hadn’t.

Totally agree. The opinion that we were in such a strong position earlier in the season through nothing more than luck is quite wrong. We were playing very well, teams were nervous about facing us and the players were playing with confidence, effort and determination. However something occurred during February time which totally threw that on its head. I’m sure that Hoden is telling us what happened in his article, but I’ve always been shit at reading in between the lines!
My understanding is this -
The bulk of the squad was made up of youthful players who's legs couldn't cope with a hectic season. This led to tiredness and dips in form, which was interpreted by some established players as Moore's men losing interest. This split the dressing room and by the time it was resolved confidence was shot and the play offs were long gone.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 13, 2021, 11:48:04 am by Avsuptem »
I always had the impression from listening to his interviews that perhaps he is not the brightest tool in the box. Maybe he is not such a bad egg at all, just a bit dumb.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 13, 2021, 11:53:22 am by NickDRFC »

BobG

Take away the fact he left, did the recruitment process fail in getting the right man? I never thought he was the right man but it was a situation where it was difficult not to appoint him, if that makes sense.

He left WBA a side that although they were in an ok league position they were underperforming and I could tell from his interviews he was a blagger. There was never any depth to them.

I’d agree with this, I genuinely can’t see how he would have impressed with a job interview given how he came across in press interviews. As you say though, he was a big name and probably difficult to see past that. I’d have thought things like discipline would be covered in the interview as well but possibly not or he blagged his way around it. I wonder if he was ever brought to task on things like timekeeping - you’d hope so.

I remember not long after he signed my dad had a chat with Andrew Watson who was pulling his hair out (not literally ;)) as the board had players lined up and Moore was dithering and the one holding up actually getting signings in, so I can totally believe he was too laid back.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 13, 2021, 12:01:47 pm by Bentley Bullet »
In terms of being bright, I don't think he ranks very highly in terms of that of a football manager. Bearing in mind football managers, in general, aren't exceptionally bright in terms of comparison with the national average of brightness. He is a typical example of someone who has the need to overuse a phrase in almost every sentence in order to fill in the gaps where he has nothing to say in terms of the subject he's talking about.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 13, 2021, 12:15:26 pm by roversdude »

BobG

I’d agree with this, I genuinely can’t see how he would have impressed with a job interview given how he came across in press interviews. As you say though, he was a big name and probably difficult to see past that. I’d have thought things like discipline would be covered in the interview as well but possibly not or he blagged his way around it. I wonder if he was ever brought to task on things like timekeeping - you’d hope so.

I remember not long after he signed my dad had a chat with Andrew Watson who was pulling his hair out (not literally ;)) as the board had players lined up and Moore was dithering and the one holding up actually getting signings in, so I can totally believe he was too laid back.

How many times were we pulling our hair out waiting for a signing that never happened, it was put down to DM knowing exactly who he wanted hmmmmm

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 13, 2021, 12:23:41 pm by jmt23 »
Haha he definitely liked the phrase "in terms of"

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 13, 2021, 12:25:09 pm by roversdude »
Great insight from LH

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 13, 2021, 12:25:50 pm by Filo »
Haha he definitely liked the phrase "in terms of"

Crying over Spilt milk

Getting them over the line

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 13, 2021, 12:30:40 pm by StocksArmy »

BobG

How many times were we pulling our hair out waiting for a signing that never happened, it was put down to DM knowing exactly who he wanted hmmmmm

The easy bit is identifying them though......

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 13, 2021, 12:34:30 pm by goalkick »
Hope the new manager has a clear out as trying to get the best out of some of the rubbish we still have will be an enormous task and could frustrate a good start to next season. The next couple of months will be very interesting.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 13, 2021, 12:47:22 pm by BobG »
Thank you SM.

I did spot the reference to 'too laid back' at the time so yes: a conclusion could be drawn. But it would have been too thin to base an appreciation on just that. One to keep for another day. I also recall your reference to one or two troublesome player or players (can't remember whether it was just one) who wouldn't be here much longer. That clearly showed there was a very unhappy dressing room - and manager. It doesn't take much to work out quite a bit from that.

So thanks again Martin. I think you go above and beyond in keeping us abreast of what's going on.

Cheers

BobG

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 13, 2021, 12:53:23 pm by wing commander »
   When he left us and joined Wednesday he turned up at the training ground on his first morning and they wouldn't let him in..Nobody had told them he was the new manager lol

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 13, 2021, 12:53:55 pm by silent majority »

BobG

It's a good question, but knowing how he really came across in the interviews I would find it difficult to answer that one. What I do know is that the board were impressed with him, and at the time i think the phrase 'ticked all the boxes' was used, but I may be mistaken. Certainly it was a case of not being able to look beyond him once he'd applied, as you rightly point out.

In fact he started really well with the club. Did all the right things, looked to have everything under control, but bit by bit that mask slipped.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 13, 2021, 12:56:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
Has no-one mentioned losing our skipper and most influential midfield player in all of this.

Massive loss and inadequately replaced.

VikingRich

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 13, 2021, 01:05:05 pm by VikingRich »
When you read the article and this thread it was probably a blessing that SW took him off our hands and paid us compensation

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 13, 2021, 01:07:36 pm by RoversAlias »
Has no-one mentioned losing our skipper and most influential midfield player in all of this.

Massive loss and inadequately replaced.

This is covered in the article, and of course was a factor. It was Moore who decided a wholly unfit, more laid-back Bostock was the solution for Whiteman's role.

Stocksbridge Owl

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 13, 2021, 01:27:43 pm by Stocksbridge Owl »
The rumour over this way is that DM was brought in to deliver promotion from League 1 next season. Most of us knew that survival in the Championship wasn’t realistic, and planning for League 1 began at Christmas. In all truth, the current squad is probably going to struggle in league 1 and big changes are needed. It’s impossible to emphasise just how really bad we are. From what you guys are saying DM probably isn’t the right man to change things here?

I still believe, as do most Wednesday fans, that he’s made a huge mistake leaving Donny to come here.

All the best for next season

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 13, 2021, 01:35:34 pm by BobG »
Hi Stocksbridge!

We gotta couple of brilliant players you can have if you like. Darren Moore favorites too so they'll jump at the chance of reuniting with him :):)

Cheers Stocksbridge. I hope the lead weight at the top of SWFC falls off a cliff soon.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012