Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 01:25:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Who would you appoint?

Ritchie Wellens
58 (43.9%)
Stephen Robinson
53 (40.2%)
John Eustace
21 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: May 13, 2021, 09:49:46 pm

Author Topic: If it was your choice?  (Read 4658 times)

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
If it was your choice?
« on May 12, 2021, 09:49:46 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
Obviously I'm just guessing the final 3, but it'll still be interesting to see the results. I personally would prefer Stephen Robinson, I think he's the one with the most relevant experience in dealing with the kind of situation we find ourselves in this summer. Other two options feel more risky, for different reasons.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: If it was your choice?
« Reply #1 on May 12, 2021, 09:51:44 pm by Dare to dream! »
It’s tough and I honestly would be happy with all three.

My heart is crying out for Wellens if I’m honest but head would take Robinson.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 12, 2021, 09:58:39 pm by jamesrover17 »
Exactly the same here Dare to Dream... After watching a few bits on YouTube with Robinson, I just like the way he comes across, he ticks all the boxes

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 12, 2021, 10:00:49 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Me too, desperate for it to be Wellens and I will be disappointed if it isn't him initially, but I think In time after a few days when the dust settles I will be happy If its Robinson.

Not too convinced that Eustace would be good or bad to be honest so I'd rather we stayed away.

I think following SM comments, it's nailed on not to be Wellens.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 12, 2021, 10:04:24 pm by keyser_soze »
Me too, desperate for it to be Wellens and I will be disappointed if it isn't him initially, but I think In time after a few days when the dust settles I will be happy If its Robinson.

Not too convinced that Eustace would be good or bad to be honest so I'd rather we stayed away.

But he has been mentioned since before the process started, and never been ruled out when many others have? Why have him in the process if the board aren’t prepared to work with him?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 12, 2021, 10:08:18 pm by dknward2 »

But he has been mentioned since before the process started, and never been ruled out when many others have? Why have him in the process if the board aren’t prepared to work with him?

Maybe the board want to question him and see if he has learned from things that have happened in the past and how would he do things differently if faced with the same situation pretty standard interview question that most companies ask.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 12, 2021, 10:26:46 pm by Pliskin »
Not sure. Can see the potential pros and cons of each.

So I'll say, whoever impresses the board enough to be given the job.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 12, 2021, 10:27:03 pm by drfchound »

Maybe the board want to question him and see if he has learned from things that have happened in the past and how would he do things differently if faced with the same situation pretty standard interview question that most companies ask.

Yeah, but if he definitely wasn’t getting the job why not hear what he had to say in the first interview then call it a day.
You would think that they wouldn’t take him to the final three if there was no likelihood of him being appointed.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 12, 2021, 10:53:05 pm by Jonathan »
In order of preference:

1. Wellens
2. Eustace
3. Robinson

But whichever one we choose will get my backing. And there’s a case to be made for all three. There’s no stand out awful choice there, and that itself is a good thing.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 12, 2021, 10:55:24 pm by drfchound »
Put me down for that view as well please.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 12, 2021, 11:01:20 pm by PDX_Rover »
I’m curious to know what John Eustace has to offer. Any thoughts?

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 12, 2021, 11:28:55 pm by Donnyjim »
The win percentage of Wellens and Robinson is exactly 39%. Both managers will have hell of a task and won’t be pulling up trees, with those stats. It will, as we know be a long old season whoever gets the job. It may be worth a punt on Eustace for a bit of fresh blood and new ideas. Those stats (39%) are worryingly similar to Dickovs and Eustace is yet to be an Oldham cast off unlike the other two.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:33:40 pm by Donnyjim »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 12, 2021, 11:39:43 pm by BobG »
Talking of Dickov, he resurfaced today on 5Live pontificating about Man City winning the title. I almost crashed the bloody car....

BobG

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 13, 2021, 12:09:10 am by TheFunk »
Whoever it is will be gone at the first sign of success. Every manager ever wants to be at the top. We should be proud that other clubs want our managers it shows our processes are correct. Let's face it we all want money spent on new players and not on better contracts for managers.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 13, 2021, 12:13:37 am by dickos1 »
The win percentage of Wellens and Robinson is exactly 39%. Both managers will have hell of a task and won’t be pulling up trees, with those stats. It will, as we know be a long old season whoever gets the job. It may be worth a punt on Eustace for a bit of fresh blood and new ideas. Those stats (39%) are worryingly similar to Dickovs and Eustace is yet to be an Oldham cast off unlike the other two.

Win percentage in isolation like that has absolutely no relevance.
Pep could go and manage Southend and his win percentage would be shit,
Does that mean he’s a bad manager?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 13, 2021, 05:53:35 am by NickDRFC »

I only know what I’ve managed to get from wiki...2 years as Kidderminster manager, joined after they were relegated and took them to the National League North play offs each time. Joined QPR as Steve Mclaren’s assistant 3 years ago, short spell as caretaker after McLaren was sacked and stated on as assistant manager when Mark Warburton took over.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 13, 2021, 08:52:30 am by selby »
  The best of luck to all three, and thanks for being interested in managing my great club, I wish you all the best in wherever your career takes you, unfortunately only one can win this particular job application, but to get as far as you have at this club shows that all of you have the potential to be top draw managers, our interview and qualification process being a proven system of signing quality managers and should stand the two who do not get the job in good stead with other clubs.
  To the man appointed, you have my full backing in what will be a very big rebuilding job, and you will be joining a great club, enjoy your tenure, you will never have a better employer in this game, and as said to the two not so lucky this time all the best for the future.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 13, 2021, 09:01:27 am by Jonathan »

I only know what I’ve managed to get from wiki...2 years as Kidderminster manager, joined after they were relegated and took them to the National League North play offs each time. Joined QPR as Steve Mclaren’s assistant 3 years ago, short spell as caretaker after McLaren was sacked and stated on as assistant manager when Mark Warburton took over.

Yes, I’m reluctant to get too bogged down in win percentages (as others have said it only tells a small part of the story) but... if you look at his win percentage at Kidderminster it’s eye-catchingly impressive. Granted it was at a much lower level, but the same principles apply of assembling and organising a team, and he’ll have learned a lot about the harder side of management there. It was over a long enough period to prove his success was no flash in the pan, too. Since then it seems he’s earned a great deal of respect as a coach and assistant at a higher level, so his credentials are decent.

If we don’t appoint Wellens (my first choice) I feel he’s a credible alternative.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 13, 2021, 09:06:14 am by wilts rover »
Other people on here must have done interviews? I have done a few in and for various roles.

Your cv gets you the interview. Who convines me they understand the role and what is required from it at the interview gets the job.

I think the board have done very well at appointing the past few managers (its not their fault that person has let them and the club down) so have no doubt they will do the same this time.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 13, 2021, 09:34:48 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Having listened to the Robinson interview in full then listened to several of Wellens interviews at Swindon and Salford, I think we have a couple of contrasting  personalities to choose from, although I can't make any judgement on Eustace.

Robinson seems to have been able to polish up some turds (Curtis Main for example) and shape to team on a small budget and with that has some humility and patience. Bearing in mind his interview was a candid relection after leaving the job and therefore it's easier to relate to the man. 

Wellens comes across as results focused, very much looking at the detail of beating the opposition, encouraging his preferred brand of football.

A couple of interesting things from Wellens was his comments about taking Swindon through to League One and challenging there with good support. Yet we know he jumped ship as soon as the Salford opportunity arose. Nothing wrong with that you'd say but he also used the wanting to be nearer home etc, when his time ended with us.

He also said after a loss with Salford. "I'd not seen our prematch warm up as I have other things to do but that wasn't right..". He didn't seem to take responsibility for that and mentioned his assistant. It may have been relevant but maybe he could have kept that out of the public domain.

I could imagine it would be easier for the players to lose respect for Wellens when things don't go well whereas Robinson seems to command a little more. I just can't help thinking with Wellens it's more about him than the club. However, he may have learned from his short spell at Salford.

Robinson reminds me a little of McCann and not just due to the accent. Reasonably calm on the outside but with fire in the belly.

With Wellens, he just looks miserable all the time. I can't barely recall him cracking a smile or being cryptic at any point as either player or manager in interviews.

Over to you board, may the best man win.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 13, 2021, 10:02:31 am by keith79 »
None of them inspire me.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 13, 2021, 10:14:11 am by River Don »
None of them inspire me.

I don't think Steve Evans has been ruled out yet.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 13, 2021, 10:21:41 am by Rovers Return »
Having listened to the Robinson interview in full then listened to several of Wellens interviews at Swindon and Salford, I think we have a couple of contrasting  personalities to choose from, although I can't make any judgement on Eustace.

Robinson seems to have been able to polish up some turds (Curtis Main for example) and shape to team on a small budget and with that has some humility and patience. Bearing in mind his interview was a candid relection after leaving the job and therefore it's easier to relate to the man. 

Wellens comes across as results focused, very much looking at the detail of beating the opposition, encouraging his preferred brand of football.

A couple of interesting things from Wellens was his comments about taking Swindon through to League One and challenging there with good support. Yet we know he jumped ship as soon as the Salford opportunity arose. Nothing wrong with that you'd say but he also used the wanting to be nearer home etc, when his time ended with us.

He also said after a loss with Salford. "I'd not seen our prematch warm up as I have other things to do but that wasn't right..". He didn't seem to take responsibility for that and mentioned his assistant. It may have been relevant but maybe he could have kept that out of the public domain.

I could imagine it would be easier for the players to lose respect for Wellens when things don't go well whereas Robinson seems to command a little more. I just can't help thinking with Wellens it's more about him than the club. However, he may have learned from his short spell at Salford.

Robinson reminds me a little of McCann and not just due to the accent. Reasonably calm on the outside but with fire in the belly.

With Wellens, he just looks miserable all the time. I can't barely recall him cracking a smile or being cryptic at any point as either player or manager in interviews.

Over to you board, may the best man win.

THIS   :that:

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 13, 2021, 10:52:37 am by Frankie Rennie »
It seems the majority of fans want someone who will show a certain loyalty to the club and not walk at the first opportunity. Unfortunately, Rovers will probably always be seen as a stepping stone, it goes with the territory I’m afraid and in fairness it’s something most clubs have to deal with, including the big ones. As a Bolton fan I’m sticking my nose in here and whilst I actually thought Parky would have been a good fit for you, of the three you seem to have whittled it down to, I’d go for Steve Robinson, who seems to have done a really good job at Motherwell both on and off the field, working on a tight budget. I’d always worry about Wellens, I think he’s very much out for himself first. Eustace is a bit of a gamble but whoever it is I wish you good luck, apart from the 6 points we’ll take off you next year!! ;-))

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 13, 2021, 11:02:42 am by DonnyOsmond »
It seems the majority of fans want someone who will show a certain loyalty to the club and not walk at the first opportunity. Unfortunately, Rovers will probably always be seen as a stepping stone, it goes with the territory I’m afraid and in fairness it’s something most clubs have to deal with, including the big ones. As a Bolton fan I’m sticking my nose in here and whilst I actually thought Parky would have been a good fit for you, of the three you seem to have whittled it down to, I’d go for Steve Robinson, who seems to have done a really good job at Motherwell both on and off the field, working on a tight budget. I’d always worry about Wellens, I think he’s very much out for himself first. Eustace is a bit of a gamble but whoever it is I wish you good luck, apart from the 6 points we’ll take off you next year!! ;-))

We like football, how would Parkinson have been a good fit?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 13, 2021, 12:04:54 pm by NickDRFC »

I think it’s impossible to expect loyalty if a club in the Championship come calling. What I would like to see is us better protected if a big club comes calling, be that with a longer contract or a contract weighted with loyalty bonuses, and a better succession plan/someone looking after the football strategy side. We appear to be learning with these which is a good sign.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 13, 2021, 12:21:53 pm by wing commander »
  Difficult one this, I listened to Robinson and he sounded very good,however I then think of Paul Dickov who gave some of the best interviews off the pitch but his team struggled on it. Then theres Wellens who looks a good fit, but i cant help but going back to the end of his time here as a player and some of the things i heard about his attitude etc etc. As for Eustace I dont know that much about him..

So on reflection i will do like the majority..Leave it to the board and then moan about it after lol

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 13, 2021, 12:25:33 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
  Difficult one this, I listened to Robinson and he sounded very good,however I then think of Paul Dickov who gave some of the best interviews off the pitch but his team struggled on it. Then theres Wellens who looks a good fit, but i cant help but going back to the end of his time here as a player and some of the things i heard about his attitude etc etc. As for Eustace I dont know that much about him..

So on reflection i will do like the majority..Leave it to the board and then moan about it after lol

To be fair I think Robinson has achieved a lot more as a manager up to this point, than Dickov had before we hired him

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 13, 2021, 12:38:03 pm by ian1980 »
The good thing is that there’s no major outcry about any of the three that have (allegedly) been shortlisted.

Sure, people would prefer one above the others which will differ from one person to the next but it’s good that it appears everyone would be reasonably ok with any of the three.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 13, 2021, 01:04:21 pm by RoversAlias »
Aye, it certainly helps that there is nobody of the "calibre" of Gary Caldwell on the shortlist this time around.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012