Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 11:46:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Manager being announced Monday.  (Read 9040 times)

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
Re: New Manager being announced Monday.
« Reply #30 on May 14, 2021, 01:28:37 pm by redandwhitearmy »
I’m going to be honest and say I find all this a bit nonsensical now. I’m not going out of my way looking to criticise the club, but why don’t they just announce it? A unanimous decision has been made, an agreement in place and nothing further to overcome by the looks of it. The hold up isn’t related to the appointment so why not just announce it and put all this nonsense to bed.

It’s our new manager, this matters to the fans. In a footballing sense it’s as big as it gets. So, having concluded a rigorous process during which everyone has been patient, why not just tell us who it is now so we can all start looking forward. Allowing an unnecessary weekend of speculation is really not helpful to anyone.

You would imagine it’s because a contract hasn’t been signed.

We've surely not lost the pen again have we !!!!

You'd think- with how often we lose pens that we'd just buy a box!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 14, 2021, 01:33:21 pm by jamesrover17 »
I’m going to be honest and say I find all this a bit nonsensical now. I’m not going out of my way looking to criticise the club, but why don’t they just announce it? A unanimous decision has been made, an agreement in place and nothing further to overcome by the looks of it. The hold up isn’t related to the appointment so why not just announce it and put all this nonsense to bed.

It’s our new manager, this matters to the fans. In a footballing sense it’s as big as it gets. So, having concluded a rigorous process during which everyone has been patient, why not just tell us who it is now so we can all start looking forward. Allowing an unnecessary weekend of speculation is really not helpful to anyone.

You would imagine it’s because a contract hasn’t been signed.

We've surely not lost the pen again have we !!!!

You'd think- with how often we lose pens that we'd just buy a box!

'Hardest part is getting them over the line!'

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 14, 2021, 01:40:47 pm by graingrover »
Wellens and Copps ...a dream duo.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 14, 2021, 01:42:43 pm by ravenrover »
All this reminds of a line in a Woody Guthrie song
I want my milk and I want it NOW

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 14, 2021, 01:44:18 pm by silent majority »

There's nothing to overcome, but there are still things to do. It was always anticipated, as I mentioned the other day, that it could go to Monday, and so its proved.

I just thought that letting people know that a manager had accepted the role would end some of the worry rather than saying nothing at all until Monday.

Sometimes I do despair. I do try to keep people in the loop and offered my advice to the club and that seems to have had the opposite effect.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 14, 2021, 01:51:11 pm by graingrover »
SM. it will soon be over do not despair ..retirement will be your opportunity to view this forum in a different light and with a different  purpose .Andy Liney had eccentric more to be despondent about and your successor on here may have too .Perhaps it would be better to hive off the forum and have the Co operative Chair  use the official website only .

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 14, 2021, 01:55:14 pm by Jonathan »

There's nothing to overcome, but there are still things to do. It was always anticipated, as I mentioned the other day, that it could go to Monday, and so its proved.

I just thought that letting people know that a manager had accepted the role would end some of the worry rather than saying nothing at all until Monday.

Sometimes I do despair. I do try to keep people in the loop and offered my advice to the club and that seems to have had the opposite effect.

This wasn’t a personal criticism. The same update is in the Free Press. All the updates have been appreciated. I just don’t understand why the club themselves aren’t communicating this one now it’s concluded. A small proportion get updates through this forum. And some more via the DFP and the Free Press. I just feel the club should officially communicate the outcome to the fans now, it’s an important thing.

Just my view. Others can and will disagree.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 14, 2021, 01:56:34 pm by NickDRFC »

I think you’re taking it a bit personally and defensively - can’t say I blame you with some of the general criticisms from the fan base but I don’t think it’s needed in this instance. I can’t speak for Jonathan but I agree with him, and I think it’s possible to be appreciative of the board, think they get most things right but still question some decision making - it’s not doom-mongering for the sake of it.

Our recruitment process is very protracted. I’ve no complaints with that as it’s delivered us two good managers in the last couple of years. But surely you can see why folk get frustrated with delays particularly if “everything is in place and there’s nothing to overcome”. What is there actually to do that would mean it can’t be announced until Monday unless there’s some small possibility that it may fall through?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 14, 2021, 01:57:28 pm by Upton Rover »
It won’t work with RW

Cameron Rowe

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 14, 2021, 01:59:14 pm by Cameron Rowe »
Look on twitter hes liking peoples tweets the man is back get in

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 14, 2021, 02:01:34 pm by karlos »
Just throwing it out there but how about Wellens with Brian stock as assistant manager, sully as goalkeeping coach and mills as defensive coach. Completing the set up get billy sharpe in as player coach. The dream team.!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 14, 2021, 02:02:28 pm by BobG »
Hi Jonathan

I have no idea of the reality, but it would be pretty easy to imagine that arrangements have to be made for assistant managers and such like and that they must tell their current employers berfore the Rovers splash anything all over the media. It might not be that of course, but it's a reasonable supposition.

Cheers!

BobG

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 14, 2021, 02:02:51 pm by Cramby10 »
SM has just told us himself who it is. He said he “offered the board his advice and it’s had the opposite effect”. Well he disliked Wellens and the board feel the “opposite “!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 14, 2021, 02:03:19 pm by pib »
I think the frustration with delays etc. is heightened because of the way the season ended and the current state of the squad. As fans we are invested in the news and want to see signs the club is urgently getting on with the re-building job as soon as possible.

I suppose DRFC (under different regimes) have been burnt by slow processes and decision-making in the past which adds to people's anxiety, rightly or wrongly.

If it's all sorted, we'll just have to trust that the work is going on this weekend.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 14, 2021, 02:05:41 pm by Filo »
We do like to turn a mini series into a box set

South East Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 14, 2021, 02:09:31 pm by South East Rover »
John Eustace is the only one employed and may have to hand in his notice before it can be announced  :ermm:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 14, 2021, 02:10:11 pm by GazLaz »

Im sure the club listened to your advice, and the advice of many others during the process. There will have been pros and cons for all the candidates.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 14, 2021, 02:10:27 pm by Jonathan »
All points taken on board, and I don’t expect everyone to agree.

To clarify again, this definitely wasn’t a dig at the updates we’ve had on here. Quite the opposite, we’d have been lost without them. I think the club get a hell of a lot of things right. But sometimes they don’t hit the right note, and on an issue as significant as this I can’t help but think they’re relying too heavily on a supporters representative to do their work for them.

Those that know me know that I’m not one of the serial moaners or one of the types that expects everything now. But when was the last time that the club released a statement on this important matter? Everyone has waited and waited, and we on here have been lucky enough to get an insight offered up regularly. But now the process has concluded I think the club should put an end to the speculation and make an official announcement as soon as they can.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 14, 2021, 02:14:50 pm by BobG »
That is a very fair summary, and question, Jonathan. But then, if there is an existing comms channel, Martin, why invent another one? Especially when the club is trying to foster good relations with supporters....

Lol. There's always, always, another side to every single thing....

BobG

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 14, 2021, 02:15:31 pm by GazLaz »

To clarify again, this definitely wasn’t a dig at the updates we’ve had on here. Quite the opposite, we’d have been lost without them. I think the club get a hell of a lot of things right. But sometimes they don’t hit the right note, and on an issue as significant as this I can’t help but think they’re relying too heavily on a supporters representative to do their work for them.

Those that know me know that I’m not one of the serial moaners or one of the types that expects everything now. But when was the last time that the club released a statement on this important matter? Everyone has waited and waited, and we on here have been lucky enough to get an insight offered up regularly. But now the process has concluded I think the club should put an end to the speculation and make an official announcement as soon as they can.

It seems they make statements via Martin, Liam or both.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 14, 2021, 02:19:57 pm by RoversAlias »
What is with our fanbase? Or I should say...the online sector of our fanbase?

People acting like this has somehow been dragged out or we are told one thing and another happens. Conspiracy, conspiracy, conspiracy.

Have some bloody patience. It is the second week in May - pre-season starts in 7 weeks and the new season is 3 months away! The club have not done anything other than carry out the thorough, necessary process to appoint the right manager as they have the last three times, and both the Free Press and, in particular, Martin, has kept the fans up-to-date with as much information as possible.

Us lot sat on our computers and phones waiting for news every day might feel like it's taking ages but that's because of the very fact that we are sat online trying to find everything out. It was never, ever said that it would be announced by today, nor does the fact it will be announced on Monday mean anything is wrong. The "speculation" that apparently needs to be put to bed hardly even exists, it's just a few threads on this forum and some tweets debating who it is.

My dad is an avid Rovers fan, has had a season ticket for years and cares deeply about the club. But he's not online so he isn't sat wondering who the new manager is, he's just going about his life waiting to see and whenever it happens, it happens. I think more of us should have that perspective at the moment instead of begging for all the information now and yesterday.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on May 14, 2021, 02:20:14 pm by silent majority »
SM has just told us himself who it is. He said he “offered the board his advice and it’s had the opposite effect”. Well he disliked Wellens and the board feel the “opposite “!

That's a complete misinterpretation.

We agreed that a good course of action would be for me to put this on the forum, it has nothing to do with who the manager should be.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 14, 2021, 02:22:25 pm by silent majority »

Im sure the club listened to your advice, and the advice of many others during the process. There will have been pros and cons for all the candidates.

You misunderstand too, I haven't offered my opinion on who the manager should be. I was talking specifically about giving out the information this morning.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 14, 2021, 02:30:20 pm by silent majority »

Jonathan,

As the supporters trust has an MOU in place with the club they provide updates on all key issues. They have stood by that agreement ever since it was signed and agreed.

The signed MOU was something we asked for so that supporters can feel in the loop at all times. A lot of what we discuss and hear about never makes it to the forum, but we are consulted anyhow and offer our advice on a regular basis.

I think your suggestion that the club let a supporters rep do their work isn't correct. I don't feel as if I'm doing their work, in my opinion I'm doing the work of the VSC and hoping that all supporters feel connected. The MOU has been a major shift in relations with DRFC and something that the supporters movement has championed for a few years, but very few clubs actually put in place.

You may see it as we're doing the work of the club, but I don't, I see it as the club being as open and honest as they can be.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 14, 2021, 02:43:47 pm by Avsuptem »
Spare a thought for the Board. They have a major decision to make that could easily result in them incurring the oft manifested criticism from the fan / customerbase as well as suffering huge financial loss if the decision turns out to be the wrong one.
Can't blame them for taking their time.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 14, 2021, 02:45:59 pm by sha66y »

Perhaps Jurgen hasn’t informed Liverpool of his decision yet.....

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 14, 2021, 02:46:34 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

This wasn’t a personal criticism. The same update is in the Free Press. All the updates have been appreciated. I just don’t understand why the club themselves aren’t communicating this one now it’s concluded. A small proportion get updates through this forum. And some more via the DFP and the Free Press. I just feel the club should officially communicate the outcome to the fans now, it’s an important thing.

Just my view. Others can and will disagree.

One of the candidates was still in a job, I believe. Perhaps Rovers can't make an announcement until arrangements with current employers have been sorted out? it's not always just about Rovers doing what they want to, you know.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 14, 2021, 03:31:20 pm by since-1969 »
As I've mentioned in the other thread, the club have made their choice of the new DRFC Manager and the applicant has been informed and is absolutely delighted to be joining us.

The announcement will be made officially on Monday.

Today, and this weekend, will see numerous meetings taking place, and the club wish to get those out of the way first.

The club are also delighted that their first choice has accepted the position and everybody is looking forward to starting work.
a”Their first choice” ? So what happened to the two who wanted to be considered but couldn’t get to the Keepmoat only to both change their minds .. why offer to hold over the interviews if your first choice is still in the running? . It’s Wellens then !!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 14, 2021, 03:40:47 pm by BobG »
Have you ever conducted an interview process 1969?

BobG

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 14, 2021, 04:04:28 pm by ravenrover »
As I've mentioned in the other thread, the club have made their choice of the new DRFC Manager and the applicant has been informed and is absolutely delighted to be joining us.

The announcement will be made officially on Monday.

Today, and this weekend, will see numerous meetings taking place, and the club wish to get those out of the way first.

The club are also delighted that their first choice has accepted the position and everybody is looking forward to starting work.
a”Their first choice” ? So what happened to the two who wanted to be considered but couldn’t get to the Keepmoat only to both change their minds .. why offer to hold over the interviews if your first choice is still in the running? . It’s Wellens then !!
Wrong end of the stick there I think. It wasn't the 2 who put off their interviews until the Monday who changed their minds I understood it to be 2 from the 1st earlier set of interviews who withdrew their applications prior to being interviewed, that is even if they had even been offered an interview in the 1st place.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012