Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 12:40:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Joe Wright's Injury  (Read 7841 times)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
Re: Joe Wright's Injury
« Reply #30 on May 14, 2021, 06:52:48 pm by EasyforDennis »
So what wage would you pay him? If he didn't want to sign a new contract when offered so he could leave for nothing at the end of the season and negotiate his own signing on fee and wages with another club when his contracts ends he will need to sign a new deal? Who decides how much we should pay him? Surely when his contract ends he is then technically unemployed.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 14, 2021, 07:34:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Contract negotiations can be held up for any number of reasons. Trivialities and games that have nothing to do with anything. Probably more to do with agents than players.

On the pitch, despite his dip in form, he absolutely put his body on the line for the club. Regularly.
This. 100%.
I never once saw him shirk a challenge, even when he knew he had no contract for next year.

I'm sure we have frequently benefitted from players at other clubs running down contracts in the knowledge that we planned to sign them. I don't like that but it happens. In these circumstances I would be very disappointed if the club simply cut him loose.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 14, 2021, 08:06:49 pm by Alan Southstand »
Apparently, that’s not happening BST. The Club will see him back to fitness and will continue to negotiate re new contract.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 14, 2021, 09:39:40 pm by keyser_soze »
  The last thing the club want to do is hang him out to dry.  I seem to remember it happening to another of our players in the past and the club did the right thing and looked after him.
  Surely the club has not gone back that far in a short time.

Kevin McIntyre is one that springs to mind. Took a wage and then when fit naffed off to Chester and gave us all the ‘shush’ when he came back and scored against us in the play offs.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 14, 2021, 10:05:58 pm by idler »
There was more to him moving from us to Chester than money though.
Disappointing for us but most would have made the same decision.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 14, 2021, 10:12:37 pm by German Rover »
  The last thing the club want to do is hang him out to dry.  I seem to remember it happening to another of our players in the past and the club did the right thing and looked after him.

Kevin McIntyre is one that springs to mind. Took a wage and then when fit naffed off to Chester and gave us all the ‘shush’ when he came back and scored against us in the play offs.

Remember that day well. He'd been given dogs abuse all night, including loads about his recently deceased dad. I'd have shushed as well.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 14, 2021, 11:00:52 pm by BobG »
McIntyre left Rovers with the blessing of the club. They understood the situation.

BobG

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 14, 2021, 11:03:26 pm by drfc1951 »
McIntyre left Rovers with the blessing of the club. They understood the situation.

BobG

Unlike some of our supporters.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 14, 2021, 11:44:16 pm by danumdon »
I think we have to look at all these instance on their merits, Joe Wright has been a good servant of this club and for all his injury woes and lack of form in the past you could not fault his professionalism and attitude.

Like others have said, he gained his injury playing for us so it should be a case of looking after his rehabilitation be it with us or in him moving on, players and the club are insured for these eventualities.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 15, 2021, 07:04:08 am by sha66y »
Tom Anderson will be gone by the time the next transfer window closes, if not before

Phewwww, thought he’d gone under the radar....not quick enough and there are better centre backs out there.....

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 15, 2021, 07:57:55 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Tom Anderson will be gone by the time the next transfer window closes, if not before

Phewwww, thought he’d gone under the radar....not quick enough and there are better centre backs out there.....

Before Balcombe took his head off big Tom was one of the best centre halves in the league. I'm willing to wager he'll be back to his herculean best after a break. The fact he's not very quick doesn't matter.

Positioning > pace.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 15, 2021, 10:16:04 am by roversdude »
What exactly is the injury does anyone know, it’s obviously worse than a break so ruptured tendon/snapped ligaments?

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 15, 2021, 10:24:32 am by Rovers91 »

With how we defended the second part of season no championship club will be coming in for our contracted defenders.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 15, 2021, 10:32:27 am by RoversAlias »
What exactly is the injury does anyone know, it’s obviously worse than a break so ruptured tendon/snapped ligaments?

I haven't seen anything so this is not based on fact, but for it to be a 9 month injury I have to assume Wright has torn/ruptured one of his knee ligaments. Usually a serious ACL injury takes around 9 months to recover.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 15, 2021, 11:14:10 am by roversdude »

I haven't seen anything so this is not based on fact, but for it to be a 9 month injury I have to assume Wright has torn/ruptured one of his knee ligaments. Usually a serious ACL injury takes around 9 months to recover.

Yeah that was my thinking RA wish him a quick and full recovery

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 15, 2021, 03:03:29 pm by graingrover »
If we are to continue playing it out from the back then we need to have centre backs who are ball players .The Wright -Anderson duo gave me the collywobbles  all season playing it along the back line often before putting the full back under pressure with a pass to him standing closely marked on the side line . Matty Baudry was the type of centre back for such a tactic not Joe Wright .

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 15, 2021, 03:41:03 pm by keith79 »
He gambled and lost.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 15, 2021, 04:01:23 pm by i_ateallthepies »
He did gamble and lose, Keith but I agree that the Club is doing the right thing by supporting his recovery.  He was in the same boat as Reece James but unlike James he never stopped giving 100%.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 15, 2021, 04:04:09 pm by keith79 »
Duty of care.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 15, 2021, 04:06:21 pm by Campsall rover »

So...pay him a wage, rehabilitate him because of some crazy loyalty....behave Selby....he turned down a wage and was cited as wanting a better life in the Championship....

How some of you lot can get over that capitulation so quickly is baffling....... huge cull, no sentiment....onwards and hopefully upwards ( to the top half at least)
So it was all Joe Wright’s fault was it?
He has been a good servant to our club. Now Copps has hung his boots up he is our longest serving player.
So we should abandon him because he has a bad injury?
Sorry what sort of a Football Club would that make us.

You say you can’t believe how quickly some of us have forgotten the capitulation.
Well I am going to turn that round and say how quickly some have forgotten how good a team we were less than 4 months ago.
As has been posted by myself and others the Capitulation was down to factors which ultimately undermined the players confidence which eroded very quickly and was never restored as the season wore on.

Joe Wright always gave 100% and has been asked to play out of position in numerous games this season.
He deserves the clubs support and from what has been said will get it.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 16, 2021, 12:14:02 pm by sha66y »

So...pay him a wage, rehabilitate him because of some crazy loyalty....behave Selby....he turned down a wage and was cited as wanting a better life in the Championship....

How some of you lot can get over that capitulation so quickly is baffling....... huge cull, no sentiment....onwards and hopefully upwards ( to the top half at least)
So it was all Joe Wright’s fault was it?
He has been a good servant to our club. Now Copps has hung his boots up he is our longest serving player.
So we should abandon him because he has a bad injury?
Sorry what sort of a Football Club would that make us.

You say you can’t believe how quickly some of us have forgotten the capitulation.
Well I am going to turn that round and say how quickly some have forgotten how good a team we were less than 4 months ago.
As has been posted by myself and others the Capitulation was down to factors which ultimately undermined the players confidence which eroded very quickly and was never restored as the season wore on.

Joe Wright always gave 100% and has been asked to play out of position in numerous games this season.
He deserves the clubs support and from what has been said will get it.

No it wasn’t all JWs fault, but he refused to sign a contract and put in some very dodgy performances ( as did others) .... now he looks like he will get a season on the sick ...if the benefactors can stump up the money to keep a crocked player in rehab, then we probably have a lot better finances than thought after Covid....

Regarding what kind of football club we would be seen to be if we abandoned him.....I’d say pragmatic !

I’ll say it again.....there are much better defenders being released from clubs one level up...we should be starting anew, not clinging onto ( good servants of the club) I know this sounds ruthless, but ALL those deemed weak, crap or bloody useless should have their contracts revisited....otherwise nice old Donny might be in for a mid to lower table existence ....... this is only my opinion and I’m sure nicer people will disagree

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 16, 2021, 12:19:28 pm by vaya »
Genuine question on this issue - as Wright was injured on Rovers duty, and still at that point under contract, is the club beholden to provide a duty of care?

Apologies beforehand if this has been covered already.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 16, 2021, 12:36:38 pm by Filo »
Genuine question on this issue - as Wright was injured on Rovers duty, and still at that point under contract, is the club beholden to provide a duty of care?

Apologies beforehand if this has been covered already.

If some one was injured at work, and then left that employment, do you think the Company would look after him or leave him to the NHS?

It was his gamble to risk not signing the contract on the table, he lost! let him rehab, use the facilities, but paying him a wage? No, he wanted to search elsewhere for employment, his choice and you live and die by those choices in every aspect of life

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 16, 2021, 12:37:36 pm by eastender »
Joe will be under contract and still getting paid until the end of June , after that he has been formally released by the club so will be on the dole unless he agrees a new contract before this one expires .
Rovers will be paying for his rehabilitation by the sounds of it, and rightly so.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 16, 2021, 12:45:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm pretty sure even at the end of a fixed term contract there would be an obligation on the employer to support someone after a workplace injury.

If there isn't legally there definitely is morally.  So what if they had not yet agreed new terms, whilst still employed an obligation exists until the very last day.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 16, 2021, 12:47:17 pm by ravenrover »
Surely it will be insurance covering any costs to do with his injury and rehabilitation. Didn't that apply with sick note Brooker
Whether DRFC choose to pay him after June that is a matter for the Board, but knowing Rovers we will stand by him.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 16, 2021, 12:54:34 pm by Spud »
Surely there's some middle ground in such a situation, I don't think he deserves to be on full wages while we rehab him, particularly if he's looking to further his career elsewhere afterwards, but perhaps pay him something out of loyalty? Unless an insurance company is taking care of this of course.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 16, 2021, 02:15:11 pm by silent majority »
Surely there's some middle ground in such a situation, I don't think he deserves to be on full wages while we rehab him, particularly if he's looking to further his career elsewhere afterwards, but perhaps pay him something out of loyalty? Unless an insurance company is taking care of this of course.

Yes there is.

The club will pay for his rehab, that's a given.

Whether we create a contract for him to see him through that period is down to negotiation with his agent. We may find a half way house as you suggest.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 16, 2021, 07:37:10 pm by drfchound »
In my opinion the club will offer some kind of deal to him to help him through this situation.
The owners are not the type of people to hang him out to dry.
The deal may not be as good as the one he was actually on and I understand that he had turned down a new contract but I think they will offer him something to keep him off the breadline.

More or less how I pictured the outcome SM.

Super Colin Cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 27, 2021, 12:55:32 pm by Super Colin Cramb »
This seems to have gone quiet unless I’ve missed something. Anyone know if Joe has resigned, as from Wednesday he’s no longer being paid.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012