Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 10:51:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Joe Wright's Injury  (Read 7854 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Joe Wright's Injury
« on May 14, 2021, 03:50:47 pm by RoversAlias »
The Retained List reveals that Wright will miss most of next season injured, and that he will only stay now if he and the club can come to an agreement once the new manager is in place. We will be helping him with his recovery either way.

Whether or not you rate Wright as a top centre back for this level, it is gutting that he's suffered a serious injury on the final day of our miserable season and now is potentially without employment for the next year. I do wonder if we'll agree to terms with him on a one-year deal and see if he can get fit enough to earn an extension thereafter.

It's even more gutting really when you factor in that this was his first real injury-free season since joining us, and I believe he would be our longest-serving player with Copps gone, if he did indeed sign on for next year.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Joe Wright's Injury
« Reply #1 on May 14, 2021, 03:52:09 pm by GazLaz »
Bit of a moral dilemma.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 14, 2021, 03:53:16 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Christ. That makes it difficult.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 14, 2021, 03:55:41 pm by Lesonthewest »
That just about sums up our season, gutted for him.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 14, 2021, 03:59:59 pm by selby »
  The last thing the club want to do is hang him out to dry.  I seem to remember it happening to another of our players in the past and the club did the right thing and looked after him.
  Surely the club has not gone back that far in a short time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:03:52 pm by selby »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 14, 2021, 04:03:11 pm by sha66y »
Sorry guys...no room for sentiment or wasting budget on a guy who is prone to injury....

There are many many more defenders about to be released that we should be looking at...this back four stagnated far too quickly ( like curdled milk).... no more nicey nicey club, we just got burned, we became a laughing stock, and we proved to have very few leaders on that pitch.....
New squad , new back four ( Anderson on bench if he’s not good enough) if it is Wellens, and he has spent a couple of weeks watching our capitulations on dvd I’m sure the likes of Wrighty have not come off too well....

Having said that, ....the best of him I have seen is when he’s just nutmegged someone and he’s surging forward...shows good composure .....

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 14, 2021, 04:06:32 pm by anton123 »
He was offered a new deal and turned it down so it’s hardly hanging him out to dry

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 14, 2021, 04:13:13 pm by sha66y »
  The last thing the club want to do is hang him out to dry.  I seem to remember it happening to another of our players in the past and the club did the right thing and looked after him.
  Surely the club has not gone back that far in a short time.

So...pay him a wage, rehabilitate him because of some crazy loyalty....behave Selby....he turned down a wage and was cited as wanting a better life in the Championship....

How some of you lot can get over that capitulation so quickly is baffling....... huge cull, no sentiment....onwards and hopefully upwards ( to the top half at least)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:54:01 am by sha66y »

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 14, 2021, 04:21:50 pm by redandwhitearmy »
What injury is it ?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 14, 2021, 04:26:25 pm by DRNaith »
The club may choose to do something to help, but they offered him a deal and he turned it down, so they are under no obligation to support him, moral or otherwise.

There was always a risk in Wright turning down the offer, he'll have known that, if contracts elasticised themselves to the benefit of the footballer then obviously this risk would have been less, but he's now at the mercy of the club, or maybe some professional insurance he may have to cover this type of eventuality.

I genuinely hope he gets sorted, but the club doesn't HAVE to do anything.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 14, 2021, 04:28:40 pm by PDX_Rover »
If he turned down a new deal then it’s on his own shoulders. Presumably you know the risks as a football player.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 14, 2021, 04:31:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
It is probably curtains for him with us I think. We have Anderson and the 37 year old Butler and the teenage Blythe with a single substitute appearance to his name, as our only centre backs. Question mark over Cameron John as a centre back. The new manager will almost certainly add another centre back to that group, so that will push Wright further down the order, even if he did come back fit. Am sure he will have insurance so that if he is out injured without a contract he will have some protection. Any injury of many months as this sounds like it is, will mean we have to find another senior centre back to join the group. The bigger that investment, the lesser the chance of us being able to offer Wright terms even when he is back fit.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 14, 2021, 04:34:12 pm by Dare to dream! »
That's tough for the club.

If he has turned down our offer and wanted better terms/club then fine.

I think a good compromise would be to offer him a two year deal on the existing terms of his contract.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 14, 2021, 04:45:37 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think supporting his medical bills is fair but that's all it is.  The decision was his to turn down the offer (fairly aswell).  That's the risk you take.  It's massively cruel on him though.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 14, 2021, 04:53:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
Our defence needs rebuilding and the timing of his injury means that he is very unlikely to be part of that rebuild. I would be looking to bring in a senior centre back to lead the defence, obviously a new right back and then we need to decide on the left back - is James staying and if he is, will he play there, if not, is John a left back or a centre back longer term?

Defence looks like this then I would imagine:

Jones + older senior keeper to help him develop and challenge him
New right back plus Seaman
Anderson, Butler, new senior centre back and Blythe + Cameron John if he is to be a centre back
Potentially James plus Horton + Cameron John if he is to be a left back
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:18:45 pm by Chris Black come back »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 14, 2021, 05:03:55 pm by drfchound »
In my opinion the club will offer some kind of deal to him to help him through this situation.
The owners are not the type of people to hang him out to dry.
The deal may not be as good as the one he was actually on and I understand that he had turned down a new contract but I think they will offer him something to keep him off the breadline.

casperjebba

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 14, 2021, 05:16:25 pm by casperjebba »
We are too nice. Yet again.

Wright was offered terms and chose to run down the contract in hopes of Championship football. We've dealt with various injuries of his over his time with us, he is a very injury prone CB. He knows that too, but gambled on the contract.

It also sets an awful precedent going forward to all our current crop concerning contract negotiations. 'When you get given a deadline for signing a contract with DRFC, ignore it and take your time. Don't worry about the risks involved with that (such as an injury or nobody else wanting you) coz good old Donny Rovers will take you back regardless.'

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 14, 2021, 05:17:12 pm by Filo »
He turned down a new contract, thats the risk he took, life’s a bitch, we should move on, and spend the money elsewhere

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 14, 2021, 05:18:23 pm by roversdude »
It’s a shame for Joe but if he had rejected a deal I’m afraid that would be it. Morally I think we’ll give him something.
Regardless I wish him a speedy recovery

donnyspadge

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 14, 2021, 05:21:56 pm by donnyspadge »
Should offer rehabilitation and a playing contract from January till the end of the season with an option of another year for the club.

That's my opinion

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 14, 2021, 06:22:37 pm by German Rover »
He got injured representing the rovers. The club should look after him. No ifs, no buts. It's the right thing to do.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 14, 2021, 06:25:50 pm by Draytonian III »
Tom Anderson will be gone by the time the next transfer window closes, if not before

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 14, 2021, 06:36:51 pm by The Dav »
Where was his commitment to DRFC when he turned down the offer ?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 14, 2021, 06:40:16 pm by PDX_Rover »
Tom Anderson will be gone by the time the next transfer window closes, if not before

Fact or hunch?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 14, 2021, 06:41:13 pm by Copps is Magic »
Contract negotiations can be held up for any number of reasons. Trivialities and games that have nothing to do with anything. Probably more to do with agents than players.

On the pitch, despite his dip in form, he absolutely put his body on the line for the club. Regularly.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 14, 2021, 06:41:34 pm by anton123 »
He is hardly going to be on the dole , the PFA will look after him that’s what they pay into it for

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 14, 2021, 06:43:08 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Whether he turned down a new deal or not   he was under contract at the time of the injury  so Rovers medical insurance will/should look after him 

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 14, 2021, 06:43:28 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
It's likely not about him not wanting to remain with Donny. I think there is here the naiivity of trusting your agent to get the best deal, working on the deal will have been left in their hands. And here you have the consequences of playing on that particular roulette table. Rarely a problem, but when it is...

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 14, 2021, 06:43:46 pm by StocksArmy »
Now stuck with a player we now have to shell out a wage to as well as rehabilitation costs because its morally right whereas, he was offered a contract that cant have been worse than the one he was on and refused to sign it for whatever reason. But thats our bad luck and not his?  :suicide:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 14, 2021, 06:48:19 pm by ravenrover »
Probably rejected the offer on advice of his agent, wonder how his agent will support him financially through his injury?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012