Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 04:21:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/Euros Thread  (Read 38076 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: England/Euros Thread
« Reply #330 on June 22, 2021, 10:21:46 pm by Filo »
Kane looks well out of sorts, Rashford has one decent game in ten, DCL is worth a go up top

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #331 on June 22, 2021, 10:24:30 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Grealish won't play next game. Southgate will probably add another holding midfielder

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #332 on June 22, 2021, 10:25:26 pm by dickos1 »
Kane was very good in first half
And as has been mentioned there’ll be more space at his end of the park next week

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #333 on June 22, 2021, 10:31:19 pm by GazLaz »
Neville is deluded if he thinks England will
Win the comp by being professional
And keeping clean sheets . There won’t be an England clean sheet next week at Wembley

That’s Southgate plan for success. Hes clueless.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #334 on June 22, 2021, 10:37:02 pm by DRCraig »
Southgate gets away with being clueless because he seems a decent fella.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #335 on June 22, 2021, 10:42:24 pm by dickos1 »
I think we’re not good enough to play the same throughout the whole tournament.
He may surprise us all now we’re into knockout football.
Portugal did it in the last tournament, didn’t win a game in the groups and then came alive in the knockouts

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #336 on June 22, 2021, 10:45:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And as has been mentioned there’ll be more space at his end of the park next week
And much better defenders...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #337 on June 22, 2021, 10:55:16 pm by RoversAlias »
Grealish will start on Tuesday because Mount is out. Foden will come back in for Saka in all likelihood.

We'll do well to go through the next round, but it isn't impossible. I think we can beat Portugal and Germany but not really basing that on the performances so far.

Harry Kane has been woeful.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #338 on June 22, 2021, 11:28:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Saka could have played himself into the game tonight, he was excellent.

Good to see Maguires and Henderson slotting back in. Certainly feel more secure with both of them.

Felt we could be guilty of overhyping Grealish but he played very well tonight making good decisions.

Now we can play without fear. It's up to Gareth to make sure we ready to do that.

Whoever we play, it's XI v XI anything can happen and probably will.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #339 on June 22, 2021, 11:50:28 pm by dickos1 »
Grealish will start on Tuesday because Mount is out. Foden will come back in for Saka in all likelihood.

We'll do well to go through the next round, but it isn't impossible. I think we can beat Portugal and Germany but not really basing that on the performances so far.

Mount will be available, but I’d keep grealish in the side

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #340 on June 22, 2021, 11:51:36 pm by dickos1 »

Defenders he plays against every week and scores against regularly.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #341 on June 22, 2021, 11:54:22 pm by RoversAlias »

Mount will be available, but I’d keep grealish in the side

I hope he is but he will be in isolation until the day before and so won't have trained properly or with the group. Will be tough to start him on that basis and Southgate said as much before tonight's game.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #342 on June 23, 2021, 12:14:45 am by PDX_Rover »
The cynic in me questioned the wisdom of assigned a Portuguese ref for this game, given we might face his countrymen next week. He let a lot of rough stuff go. But overall wasn't too bad.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #343 on June 23, 2021, 12:45:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Defenders he plays against every week and scores against regularly.

That right?

He scored 1 goal in 10 league and cup games against top 6 sides from late October onwards. He's scored 2 in his last 12 internationals.

He has of course been a magnificent striker, but the figures suggest that this season he's not been the force he was. Especially against the best sides. And that's what it's looked like in this tournament so far.  And he's only going to come up against better and better sides from here on in.

Great strikers do burst into form when it matters and let's hope he does. But it needs a very big turn round.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #344 on June 23, 2021, 10:54:37 am by TheFunk »
Spurs have Son and England don't I would imagine explains it all.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #345 on June 23, 2021, 11:03:59 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
5pm on a Tuesday.

Dogshit.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #346 on June 23, 2021, 11:53:20 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Got the win and didn't really get going so i suppose that's positive.

Concern for me again is centre midfield. Far too often the pass is sideways to a centre back without getting their heads up and at least looking to play forward. Henderson was better when he came on at playing forwards. Still when Czech pressed the midfield we didn't have anyone to play forwards was just side to side between the centre halves.

Another concern is how easily the Czech players got through our press a few times. We regrouped well but better teams will be so much quicker and sharper. We either needs to press very hard no matter where the ball is or drop off further to stop any gaps. Maybe against better teams that will be the plan leaving more space for our quick players to attack. But on the evidence of yesterday we won't get far pressing decent teams

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #347 on June 23, 2021, 12:55:51 pm by DonnyNoel »

Concern for me again is centre midfield. Far too often the pass is sideways to a centre back without getting their heads up and at least looking to play forward. Henderson was better when he came on at playing forwards. Still when Czech pressed the midfield we didn't have anyone to play forwards was just side to side between the centre halves.

Another concern is how easily the Czech players got through our press a few times. We regrouped well but better teams will be so much quicker and sharper. We either needs to press very hard no matter where the ball is or drop off further to stop any gaps. Maybe against better teams that will be the plan leaving more space for our quick players to attack. But on the evidence of yesterday we won't get far pressing decent teams

In a stat I've never seen before (I think on twitter) it said we're one of the slowest teams in terms of progressing the ball forward and last nights average of 0.7m/s is the lowest int he tournament to date. Presmue thats around where possession starts, where it ends and how long it took to get there. Going to have to try and find it now...!

Edit - can I heckers find it....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:08:49 pm by DonnyNoel »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #348 on June 23, 2021, 01:35:16 pm by dickos1 »
Spurs have Son and England don't I would imagine explains it all.

No but we have foden, stirling, grealish,

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on June 23, 2021, 02:58:02 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

In a stat I've never seen before (I think on twitter) it said we're one of the slowest teams in terms of progressing the ball forward and last nights average of 0.7m/s is the lowest int he tournament to date. Presmue thats around where possession starts, where it ends and how long it took to get there. Going to have to try and find it now...!

Edit - can I heckers find it....

I can believe it though. Way too many passes before we decided it’s time to go forward. Walker seemed to stop himself whenever a bit of space opened up in order to play back. This is where the frustration with Southgate comes in. All our players are suited to playing fast and early but it appears to be a tactical decision to not take a risk of giving the ball away.

Maybe not an explicit instruction by Southgate to play safe but if in the build up all you hear is “we keep it tight” “no mistakes” etc etc the players can’t help but take that on board

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #350 on June 23, 2021, 08:39:11 pm by drfchound »
France looking very ordinary and the Germans losing too.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #351 on June 23, 2021, 08:42:38 pm by Filo »
As it stands at the moment, France at Wembley

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #352 on June 23, 2021, 08:47:27 pm by drfchound »
Dive by Mbappe there.
Never a pen.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #353 on June 23, 2021, 08:48:51 pm by NickDRFC »
If France can get another and Hungary hold on and winning the group suddenly doesn’t look so bad…

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #354 on June 23, 2021, 08:49:22 pm by DearneValleyRover »
France look worse than England yesterday and are level with a non penalty

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #355 on June 23, 2021, 08:53:24 pm by NickDRFC »

They’re off their game today but I’d far rather face Hungary than them or Portugal so hopefully they raise their game 2nd half.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #356 on June 23, 2021, 09:07:23 pm by DearneValleyRover »

They’re off their game today but I’d far rather face Hungary than them or Portugal so hopefully they raise their game 2nd half.

Maybe so however they are I’ll disciplined, complacent anc aren’t great at the back. Personally I would rather face France than Portugal

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #357 on June 23, 2021, 09:11:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

If the scores remain the same we'll be playing Hungary.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #358 on June 23, 2021, 09:16:40 pm by LincsRover »
Mad group this one, anything could happen in the next half hour - we could still be playing any one of them!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #359 on June 23, 2021, 09:18:25 pm by drfchound »
It’s all change again.
Portugal going out as it stands.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012