Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 12:58:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England vs Denmark  (Read 6161 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: England vs Denmark
« Reply #90 on July 08, 2021, 07:40:45 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
The one player who made massive contributions last night but hasn't been mentioned is Kyle Walker using his pace covering gaps in the rest of the defence we would have been opened up numerous times.  Without him we wouldn't get away with playing the high defensive line.

Definitely. He and Sterling were immense in different ways.

Also a big moment for Stones who has now also fulfilled his potential.

For all those three, all those doubts and frailties have been wiped.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on July 08, 2021, 08:01:38 am by Pancho Regan »
It'd be interesting to look back and see what people on here said about Southgate when he was appointed.

No need to go back that far Glyn, just try page 3 of the England / Euros thread on here!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on July 08, 2021, 08:32:04 am by IDM »
All the people on this thread saying we should have gone for it at 2-1...that's why Gareth Southgate is England manager and us lot aren't.

Denmark were knackered, and switching to a 5-2-3 guarded us against their counter threat and thus meant they had nothing because they were never breaking lines or out-maneouvring us when they were so tired.

We had something like a 40 or 50 passing sequence in total control towards the end of ET, entirely because our shape allowed us to move it around freely.

I'm so pleased for Southgate. He's had so much stick off England fans for his entire tenure...well he's done something now only one other manager ever has and taken England to a major final. He's done it his way and never wavered, and it is paying off. He knows what he is doing, he's a superb leader and man and is now in the top two for England managers all-time, surely.

I have to agree with you in respect of how we controlled the game after going ahead.

However during that period, and especially in the last 6-7 minutes, we were controlling the game in and around the Danish penalty area.  There were several low risk opportunities to try and score a third and put the game to bed.  Sterling eventually had a go.

In that period the Danes won at least one corner, and with that ref and the wrestling which goes on every time, we could have conceded a penalty or made a defensive mistake.

On the ball, in that final period, we were excellent.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:42:23 am by IDM »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on July 08, 2021, 08:40:28 am by Filo »
All the people on this thread saying we should have gone for it at 2-1...that's why Gareth Southgate is England manager and us lot aren't.

Denmark were knackered, and switching to a 5-2-3 guarded us against their counter threat and thus meant they had nothing because they were never breaking lines or out-maneouvring us when they were so tired.

We had something like a 40 or 50 passing sequence in total control towards the end of ET, entirely because our shape allowed us to move it around freely.

I'm so pleased for Southgate. He's had so much stick off England fans for his entire tenure...well he's done something now only one other manager ever has and taken England to a major final. He's done it his way and never wavered, and it is paying off. He knows what he is doing, he's a superb leader and man and is now in the top two for England managers all-time, surely.

I did say I couldn’t fault his decisions, I just think that we were so much in control on the front foot a killer goal was there for the taking, Denmark were spent and down to 10 men. That 2 or 3 minutes towards the end when we just kept the ball was great game management

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on July 08, 2021, 09:38:01 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I wasn't convinced with Southgate. I'll hold my hand up. Since Croatia in the World Cup, I still don't think he's made the best of the subs at his disposal for example.

However, thinking about it, he's done so much to bring everything together to get us this far. Not sure that anyone else could tap into our psyche and get the best out of the players he puts on the pitch.

He's a student of the game, he understands what makes players tick. He's learned a he'll of a lot no doubt during his tenure.

I hope he uses a bit of the Alf Ramsey and takes alot of the emotional sapping energy out between now and Sunday and be very pragmatic about the game. He seems to have been successful doing that so far.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 09:46:56 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on July 08, 2021, 09:43:57 am by Filo »
I wasn't convinced with Southgate. I'll hold my hand up. Since Croatia I still don't think he's made the best of the subs at his disposal for example.

However, thinking about it, he's done so much to bring everything together to get us this far. Not sure that anyone else could tap into our psyche and get the best out of the players he puts on the pitch.

He's a student of the game, he understands what makes players tick. He's learned a he'll of a lot no doubt during his tenure.

I hope he uses a bit of the Alf Ramsey and takes alot of the emotional sapping energy out between now and Sunday and be very pragmatic about the game. He seems to have been successful doing that so far.

Talking of Alf Ramsey, I was only 3 in 1966, but didn’t he also do a similar thing to Southgate, he left a popular prolific striker in Jimmy Greaves out and picked Geoff Hurst instead, the rest is history

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on July 08, 2021, 09:45:19 am by Metalmicky »

53 passes in total apparently....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on July 08, 2021, 09:49:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Well though England managed that second half of extra time, I think we need to keep a little bit of perspective. Denmark were down to 10 men and many of them were out on their feet.

It worked and it was the right approach in the circumstances, but I doubt we'd be able to do that against Italy.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on July 08, 2021, 09:56:01 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I wasn't convinced with Southgate. I'll hold my hand up. Since Croatia I still don't think he's made the best of the subs at his disposal for example.

Talking of Alf Ramsey, I was only 3 in 1966, but didn’t he also do a similar thing to Southgate, he left a popular prolific striker in Jimmy Greaves out and picked Geoff Hurst instead, the rest is history

Exactly. It was all about the team and not the individual.

I think SO'D also similar to Ramsey, took all the hype out of the Wembley final and played the game and not the occasion.

Then Ramsey backed that up with his immortal line at full time, pending extra time."You've won it once, go and win it again."

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on July 08, 2021, 09:59:43 am by dickos1 »

I have to agree with you in respect of how we controlled the game after going ahead.

However during that period, and especially in the last 6-7 minutes, we were controlling the game in and around the Danish penalty area.  There were several low risk opportunities to try and score a third and put the game to bed.  Sterling eventually had a go.

In that period the Danes won at least one corner, and with that ref and the wrestling which goes on every time, we could have conceded a penalty or made a defensive mistake.

On the ball, in that final period, we were excellent.

It may be low risk but if we’d tried to score and missed we’re giving them the ball back.
If we keep the ball they can’t score, it was unbelievably good that last ten mins or so

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on July 08, 2021, 10:00:22 am by dickos1 »
Well though England managed that second half of extra time, I think we need to keep a little bit of perspective. Denmark were down to 10 men and many of them were out on their feet.

It worked and it was the right approach in the circumstances, but I doubt we'd be able to do that against Italy.

Exactly, but it’s horses for courses and southgate got it bang on.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on July 08, 2021, 10:39:07 am by RoversAlias »

Why not? Italy have played more football than us now owing to their Extra Time win over Austria and looked out on their feet against Spain on Tuesday night. I think England will be fresher as the game wears on on Sunday and if we adapt to that correctly, it could give us an advantage.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on July 08, 2021, 10:43:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Exactly, but it’s horses for courses and southgate got it bang on.

No question.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on July 08, 2021, 10:48:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Why not? Italy have played more football than us now owing to their Extra Time win over Austria and looked out on their feet against Spain on Tuesday night. I think England will be fresher as the game wears on on Sunday and if we adapt to that correctly, it could give us an advantage.

Because Italy is a much better side than Denmark and because Sunday will be a very different game for Italy than their semi was. They had long spells where they didn't have the ball and were doing a hell of a lot of work covering and pressing. The first half possession figures on Tuesday were 70:30.  We will not dominate possession anything like what Spain did.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on July 08, 2021, 10:50:15 am by SydneyRover »
The England squad are 2.5yrs younger that the Italians, (who incidentally are the same as Denmark) depending on who takes the field of course this may make a difference at the sharp end end the tournament.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on July 08, 2021, 11:35:55 am by Filo »
Someones big head is affecting Ryan Mason’s signal

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on July 08, 2021, 12:48:48 pm by GazLaz »
Incredible game. Up there with Brentford as the best game I’ve ever been to.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on July 08, 2021, 01:13:12 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
So many people have said it made for nervous watching on the telly.  In the stadium was absolute assurance that we were never going to lose, even after that freekick.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on July 08, 2021, 01:26:38 pm by GazLaz »
So many people have said it made for nervous watching on the telly.  In the stadium was absolute assurance that we were never going to lose, even after that freekick.

Only going to be one winner from about 65mins on. They’d gone, and they helped by taking their best players off!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 08, 2021, 01:43:06 pm by RoversAlias »
Once the Kane goal went in, I was confident we would hold on. Easy to say now of course, but we managed the game so well there was only one or two corners to worry about for the rest of the game.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on July 08, 2021, 01:51:33 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
whilst i was confident England would beat Germany 3-0   my tea leaves just say England will win eventually .. just been thinking about Braithwaite when he played for Championship Middlesbrough

we laughed when Barcelona signed Braithwaite

i even did a thread on him   ..... worth a read to calm the nerves

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=276240.msg950090#msg950090

well the tea leaves got it right "eventually"   my worry about Pickford was even proved right -- his geography is worse than Akinfenwas --- not knowing where the centre of the goal is for a free kick ( a possible point to defend him is the use of new balls in the semis -- the commentaor droppped that in mid-game)

After the final we will probably hear stories about Kane continually taking pain killers for some injury (ankle ?) never had a doubt England would win in the end

England to repeat have covac on their side as the invisible 12th man ....... remember this

A "COVID-19: Dublin stripped of Euro 2020 fixtures as UEFA unable to get 'assurances' on coronavirus measures" England should as we all know have played Germany in Dublin 

B Southgate had his mind made up for him on the left back slot thanks to the Chelsea pairs 20 minute conversation with the Scot
remem ber what happened when england had to pick a new cricket team   -- letting them back in the bubble was too big a risk -
C    thanks to covac ---  less German fans and Italian fans at Wembley

and the ball boys have a big part to play (again)

oh forgot and England had the easier half of the route to the final :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 01:58:13 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on July 08, 2021, 01:54:39 pm by Metalmicky »
D   England were also the better team in each of those games...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on July 08, 2021, 03:24:43 pm by drfchound »
For those who are making excuses for the Danes, they were only down to ten men for the last few minutes and England were totally in control during the last fifteen minutes of the ninety and for most of the extra time period.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 08, 2021, 03:27:00 pm by drfchound »

Hurst came into the team for the Argentina game because Greaves had picked up an injury.
Hurst got the only goal of the game and kept his place through to the final.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on July 08, 2021, 03:33:41 pm by NickDRFC »
For those who are making excuses for the Danes, they were only down to ten men for the last few minutes and England were totally in control during the last fifteen minutes of the ninety and for most of the extra time period.

It was more than a few minutes, it was half of extra time. It took the commentators 10 minutes to realise it though.

That said I’m not sure it would have made too much difference - we were dominating them with 11 men on the pitch by that stage.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on July 08, 2021, 03:39:34 pm by roversdude »
But they were so knackered because of our game

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on July 08, 2021, 03:40:48 pm by MachoMadness »
I must admit I didn't notice Denmark had gone down to 10. But why were they down to 10? Because they'd made all their subs as we'd run them ragged so they were knackered and going down with muscle strains. Lucky perhaps, but as I said on the other thread England made their own luck last night.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on July 08, 2021, 03:46:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I was the one who pointed out that the Danes were down to ten men for the last 15 minutes.

I didn't say that as in any way an excuse for Denmark although it looks like one or two have interpreted it that way. I was saying it to contextualise the very efficient way that England put the game to bed, while giving my opinion that that would probably not be so easy against Italy.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on July 08, 2021, 03:46:32 pm by Jonathan »

Added to which, they chose to use all subs at the time they did. Risks come with every decision. It happens. Had Southgate used all available subs and we’d picked up a further knock then there’d have been no hard luck story, people would’ve been criticising Southgate.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on July 08, 2021, 03:53:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But nobody is making excuses for the Danes.

Bizarre how these discussions go.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012