Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:02:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Italy vs England Euro2020 Final  (Read 15034 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Italy vs England Euro2020 Final
« Reply #270 on July 12, 2021, 10:56:18 am by Campsall rover »
Maguire showed how to take a Penalty, hard and high, no poncing about
It’s very brave to go high. Not many do. It so often goes badly wrong.
When it goes right it looks brilliant.

Kane also certainly didn’t muck about with his. Unstoppable.

I knew Rashford would blow it when he did that crazy stutter and stop on his run up.
Surely he wasn’t doing that in his penalty practice in training. His brain was scrambled and he does seem to me to have lost a bit of self belief. Not the same player he was say 6 months ago, probably less.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #271 on July 12, 2021, 11:01:46 am by Chris Black come back »
The Rashford penalty was very high risk but almost worked. Aim is to get keeper to give an indication of which way he is going, then place in other corner at last minute. He sent him wrong way but didn’t put it into what was effectively an empty net. It happens. 

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #272 on July 12, 2021, 11:05:12 am by River Don »
The Rashford penalty was very high risk but almost worked. Aim is to get keeper to give an indication of which way he is going, then place in other corner at last minute. He sent him wrong way but didn’t put it into what was effectively an empty net. It happens. 

Seen him do it before at Man U.

Normally I feel most confident about players who send the keeper the wrong way.

But I'm never confident when it comes to England taking penalties.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #273 on July 12, 2021, 11:05:55 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Rashford probably scores that most times, unfortunate but it happens, not many score every penalty.  It came down to England missing 3, Italy missing 2. It wasn't just one person, shows how tough it is.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #274 on July 12, 2021, 11:13:48 am by Campsall rover »
Rashford probably scores that most times, unfortunate but it happens, not many score every penalty.  It came down to England missing 3, Italy missing 2. It wasn't just one person, shows how tough it is.
Not blaming Rashford for not winning.
He is a great talent and a wonderful role model.

Just looks extremely laid back and lacking in self belief a present. He was down the pecking order in this tournament after being one of the 1st 3/4 players on the team sheet not very long ago.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #275 on July 12, 2021, 11:18:28 am by DonnyNoel »
Probably not a pleasant statistic but in terms of teams not being behind in games but not winning the trophy we must be right up there? I reckon we were behind for 9 minutes in the entire tournament between Denmark going 1 up then us equalising?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #276 on July 12, 2021, 12:05:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I hate the whole concept of penalty shoot outs. They absolutely are lotteries and they say nothing whatsoever about the relative merits of the "winners" and "losers".[1] I get that there is a need to have some form of elimination required. But losing a final on penalties is as close to meaningless as you can get. The idea that we should be overjoyed if we won a final shoot out and suicidal if we lost is just ridiculous. It doesn't mean anything.

England put in an excellent performance throughout the tournament. They met a better, much more experienced side yesterday but defended in a superbly disciplined and organised way. The two sides neutralised each other and any rational outcome would be a sharing of the laurels. They fact that one side won a lottery is absolutely irrelevant to anything other than those who see the world in the binary landscape of winners and losers.

[1] The line that you sometimes hear, that it's a test of nerve and good players do better than poor ones is b*llocks. Look at the list of truly top quality non-English players who have missed penalties in Euro or WC shootouts. This emphasises what a lottery it is, and how little it is truly a test of football ability.

Uli Hoeness
Fulvio Collovati
Preben Elkjaer
Marco van Basten
Fernando Hierro
Clarence Seedorf
Frank deBoer
Ronald deBoer
Jaap Stam
Paolo Maldini
Franco Baresi
Diego Maradona
Roberto Baggio
Socrates
Bixente Lizarazu
Didier Six
Dragan Stojkovic
Roberto Donandoni
Rui Costa
Hernan Crespo
Andrei Shevchenko
Emmanuel Petit
Koke
Luka Modric
Ivan Rakitic
David Trezuguet
Daniele DeRossi
Thomas Muller
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Kylian Mbappe
Sergio Busquets
Leonard Bonucci
Xabi Alonso
Phillip Cocu
Zlatan Ibrahimovic

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #277 on July 12, 2021, 12:15:15 pm by dickos1 »
I agree billy
A couple of poor penalties shouldnt distinguish such positivity or negativity on an overall tournament.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #278 on July 12, 2021, 12:46:03 pm by danumdon »
I’d go a bit further and say that it’s criminal that a young talent like Rashford who should be one of the first names on the team sheet has gone so far of the boil as to now be third or fourth choice.

A cynic would say that his gradual loss of form has coincided with his increased public involvement with all things none football, has he allowed outside influences to affect his form and if so where was the man management to prevent and avoid this.

In the past many great and revered footballers carried out as much if not more charity work  mostly under the radar.

Is it a sign of the times and social media pressure to blame or just a case of a young well meaning lad getting drawn into too many outside influences?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #279 on July 12, 2021, 12:56:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
I hate the whole concept of penalty shoot outs. They absolutely are lotteries and they say nothing whatsoever about the relative merits of the "winners" and "losers".[1] I get that there is a need to have some form of elimination required. But losing a final on penalties is as close to meaningless as you can get. The idea that we should be overjoyed if we won a final shoot out and suicidal if we lost is just ridiculous. It doesn't mean anything.

England put in an excellent performance throughout the tournament. They met a better, much more experienced side yesterday but defended in a superbly disciplined and organised way. The two sides neutralised each other and any rational outcome would be a sharing of the laurels. They fact that one side won a lottery is absolutely irrelevant to anything other than those who see the world in the binary landscape of winners and losers.

[1] The line that you sometimes hear, that it's a test of nerve and good players do better than poor ones is b*llocks. Look at the list of truly top quality non-English players who have missed penalties in Euro or WC shootouts. This emphasises what a lottery it is, and how little it is truly a test of football ability.

Uli Hoeness
Fulvio Collovati
Preben Elkjaer
Marco van Basten
Fernando Hierro
Clarence Seedorf
Frank deBoer
Ronald deBoer
Jaap Stam
Paolo Maldini
Franco Baresi
Diego Maradona
Roberto Baggio
Socrates
Bixente Lizarazu
Didier Six
Dragan Stojkovic
Roberto Donandoni
Rui Costa
Hernan Crespo
Andrei Shevchenko
Emmanuel Petit
Koke
Luka Modric
Ivan Rakitic
David Trezuguet
Daniele DeRossi
Thomas Muller
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Kylian Mbappe
Sergio Busquets
Leonard Bonucci
Xabi Alonso
Phillip Cocu
Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Zlatan didn’t miss.

Zlatan scored. It was the goals that moved because they were so afraid of Zlatan and his power.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #280 on July 12, 2021, 01:02:08 pm by wilts rover »
I’d go a bit further and say that it’s criminal that a young talent like Rashford who should be one of the first names on the team sheet has gone so far of the boil as to now be third or fourth choice.

A cynic would say that his gradual loss of form has coincided with his increased public involvement with all things none football, has he allowed outside influences to affect his form and if so where was the man management to prevent and avoid this.

In the past many great and revered footballers carried out as much if not more charity work  mostly under the radar.

Is it a sign of the times and social media pressure to blame or just a case of a young well meaning lad getting drawn into too many outside influences?

Should Rovers be stopping all players doing community work now if that's the case? School vists, local charities, working with local youth clubs, The Belles etc.

Or is it just people who campaign on highlighting poverty in the UK you have a problem with?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #281 on July 12, 2021, 01:15:32 pm by danumdon »

Should Rovers be stopping all players doing community work now if that's the case? School vists, local charities, working with local youth clubs, The Belles etc.

Or is it just people who campaign on highlighting poverty in the UK you have a problem with?

Typical snowflake answer, straight on the defensive when there’s no need.

I have no issue with charity work be it 
highlighting poverty or any other well meaning cause for anyone who needs it, indeed I encourage it.

What I do have an issue with is when people purposely confuse or agitate to make a point where one does not exist.

I made the point that this individual has had a gradual loss of form from his previous high standards and queried if his outside interests had played a part,

You took the opportunity to try to make a political point, badly.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #282 on July 12, 2021, 01:18:05 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

highlighting poverty or any other well meaning cause for anyone who needs it, indeed I encourage it.

What I do have an issue with is when people purposely confuse or agitate to make a point where one does not exist.

I made the point that this individual has had a gradual loss of form from his previous high standards and queried if his outside interests had played a part,

Snowflake?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #283 on July 12, 2021, 01:28:38 pm by sha66y »
If you are prepared to accept abject failure and be happy with not winning then you are seriously conditioned to loss acceptance!
We scored early from a great move, we attacked with a great determination for about 25-30 more mins…….and then we stopped!

We conceded ground happy to break up and nullify the Italians, and clinging onto that word “ hope” ….we hoped they would run out of steam, they didn’t….we hoped our attacks would frighten them, they didn’t, we hoped to be able to hang on for a well earned yet uninspiring victory, we didn’t…

The Manager had enough diamonds to make a necklace, yet offered up a pair of earrings, I don’t care about all the “ look at the Positives” …they truly pale into insignificance when you accept loss so easily….

We had the best opportunity to attack with some of the finest young talents going hell for leather…and I wouldn’t of minded if we’d lost, because we would have played to our strength…..instead we lost by being the second best team who didn’t defend good enough…….. the manager must shoulder all of the blame for not reacting to Mancini’s game changing tactics…

Forgettable, utterly forgettable!! 

Again a lot of nonsense in here,
Our strength throughout the tournament has been the defence, the best in the tournament in fact so we did play to our strengths.
Even last night we defended outstanding Pickford had one save to make and he made it but it came off the post for them to tap in.
All this rubbish about all the good attacking players we have, people are forgetting that for years we’ve played all our best attacking players and shoe horned them into a side and all we got was abject failure.
Southgate has transformed the national side that is obvious, the last major tournament before him we got knocked out by Iceland.
Look How far we’ve come, enjoy the ride instead of looking for things to moan about all the time that aren’t there

At what point have you actually read and understood what I just said, the only time I have mentioned the defense was referring to not being able to defend good enough last night!
Now you either can read but have a low attention span or you get another tard to read for you....cmon Dickos, comment after reading and don’t assume I’m actually talking about anything you want to get off your chest..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:00:09 pm by Forum Admin »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #284 on July 12, 2021, 01:42:30 pm by MachoMadness »

Behave. You brought up his off-field work, someone mildly disagrees with you and you fly off the handle and start calling names. Who's the snowflake again?

How the f**k does Rashford's charity work affect whether that penalty goes in last night?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #285 on July 12, 2021, 01:58:15 pm by sha66y »

Behave. You brought up his off-field work, someone mildly disagrees with you and you fly off the handle and start calling names. Who's the snowflake again?

How the f**k does Rashford's charity work affect whether that penalty goes in last night?

He mentioned the off field charity work to emphasise a point that Rashford’s possible fall from Grace coincided with it......though I’d prefer to honk he was distracted.....otherwise it was a really shit penalty ! 

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #286 on July 12, 2021, 02:07:42 pm by MachoMadness »
It's nonsense. If Rashford doesn't fight for something he genuinely believes in that penalty last night is 2 inches to the right and it goes in. An absolute fantasy made up by people looking for a scapegoat. Why we even need a scapegoat after the narrowest of defeats to a very good side says a lot about the mindset of many in this country. People miss penalties. Jorginho, who had a 100% record from the spot before last night, missed one. It happens.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #287 on July 12, 2021, 02:09:11 pm by normal rules »
31 million viewed last nights game. The single biggest uk tv audience since Diana’s funeral

A Question parents up and down the country would have been asked  last night.

Child: Daddy, why are they taking their medals off when they have just been given them?

Daddy: erm……………

And I know why as I’m sure many on here will. But what sort of example is this to set children . That it’s not ok to come second or lose?
Professional arrogance or petulance?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #288 on July 12, 2021, 02:23:18 pm by Campsall rover »
31 million viewed last nights game. The single biggest uk tv audience since Diana%u2019s funeral

A Question parents up and down the country would have been asked  last night.

Child: Daddy, why are they taking their medals off when they have just been given them?

Daddy: erm%u2026%u2026%u2026%u2026%u2026

And I know why as I%u2019m sure many on here will. But what sort of example is this to set children . That it%u2019s not ok to come second or lose?
Professional arrogance or petulance?
Because they have a winning mentality. Coming second was not the objective.
Disappointment was what i saw. Not disrespect.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #289 on July 12, 2021, 02:39:45 pm by drfchound »
“We should have brought Rashford and Sakka on earlier”…….
We took off Walker and put Rashford to RB.
Would we have even got to the pens if we had done that ten minutes earlier?
I doubt it very much.

Rashford was brought on for the pens, if Southgate had a plan B he might have brought him on in a more natural position, it appears Southgates plan B was penalties. For me Rashford needs a kick up the arse at club level and national level, I’d leave him out of the next squad, far too laid back for me

I Know That Rashford was brought on for the pens.
I was responding to people who had said he should have been brought in earlier.
I was pointing out that he had come on in place of Walker, who obviously wasn’t going to take a pen and had filled in at RB for a minute or two.
If he had been brought on with ten minutes left and filled in at RB he would have got murdered by the Italians and we probably wouldn’t have got to pens.
Southgate wasn’t going to bring off Sterling or Kane was he.
Kane had to stay on for the pens and Sterling was the one forward who might have got us a winner in the last ten minutes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 03:21:55 pm by drfchound »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #290 on July 12, 2021, 02:46:29 pm by drfchound »
If you are prepared to accept abject failure and be happy with not winning then you are seriously conditioned to loss acceptance!
We scored early from a great move, we attacked with a great determination for about 25-30 more mins…….and then we stopped!

We conceded ground happy to break up and nullify the Italians, and clinging onto that word “ hope” ….we hoped they would run out of steam, they didn’t….we hoped our attacks would frighten them, they didn’t, we hoped to be able to hang on for a well earned yet uninspiring victory, we didn’t…

The Manager had enough diamonds to make a necklace, yet offered up a pair of earrings, I don’t care about all the “ look at the Positives” …they truly pale into insignificance when you accept loss so easily….

We had the best opportunity to attack with some of the finest young talents going hell for leather…and I wouldn’t of minded if we’d lost, because we would have played to our strength…..instead we lost by being the second best team who didn’t defend good enough…….. the manager must shoulder all of the blame for not reacting to Mancini’s game changing tactics…

Our strength throughout the tournament has been the defence, the best in the tournament in fact so we did play to our strengths.
Even last night we defended outstanding Pickford had one save to make and he made it but it came off the post for them to tap in.
All this rubbish about all the good attacking players we have, people are forgetting that for years we’ve played all our best attacking players and shoe horned them into a side and all we got was abject failure.
Southgate has transformed the national side that is obvious, the last major tournament before him we got knocked out by Iceland.
Look How far we’ve come, enjoy the ride instead of looking for things to moan about all the time that aren’t there

I agree with most of that.
Our defensive approach prevented us from losing games and put us in a position to win them late on with subs coming on.
In the main, it worked.
We didn’t lose at all except for a penalty shootout, which could easily go either way.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #291 on July 12, 2021, 02:47:52 pm by danumdon »

You basically fell into the same trap as the previous bloke,

I never mentioned anything about Rashfords penalty taking skills, i asked why somebody who should of been firing on all cylinders and in the original team has had this fall from grace, if he had played as we expect he can the match would never have got to penalty's in the first place.

i just asked who was advising him and what support he gets, if Ferguson had still been manager would he of allowed a player on mega wages from the club to be distracted from his paid work?

Why do you people get so agitated and make two and two come to five?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #292 on July 12, 2021, 03:03:00 pm by dickos1 »

Are you a complete fcuktard?
At what point have you actually read and understood what I just said, the only time I have mentioned the defense was referring to not being able to defend good enough last night!
Now you either can read but have a low attention span or you get another tard to read for you....cmon Dickos, comment after reading and don’t assume I’m actually talking about anything you want to get off your chest..

I think the only person who needs to re-read his post is you my friend.
You said England should’ve played to their strengths which was our attack.
I’m disagreeing with you and pointing out our strength is our defence you absolute clown.
Calling someone a tard completely identifies the kind of idiot you are

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #293 on July 12, 2021, 03:27:43 pm by Jonathan »
Still seeing people criticising Kalvin Phillips, I have to say I’m amazed. Maybe people watch the games with a preconception, but I feel he’s been outstanding. Sensible with the ball and an absolutely incredible work rate off it. With the benefit of being at the game and seeing the whole pitch yesterday, he just never stops. He’s first to break the lines and press, and first to drop in and cover when the full backs bomb on or the centre halves step out with the ball. The disrespect and lack of appreciation he’s shown in some quarters is just crazy.

I also thought Declan Rice was superb while he was on yesterday.

We’ve lots of young players that can come away from this tournament feeling very proud of what they’ve achieved. More to come from this England team.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #294 on July 12, 2021, 03:28:32 pm by Jonathan »
I’ll add that being in that atmosphere was the most amazing thing. I’ll never ever forget it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #295 on July 12, 2021, 03:29:22 pm by drfchound »
Still seeing people criticising Kalvin Phillips, I have to say I’m amazed. Maybe people watch the games with a preconception, but I feel he’s been outstanding. Sensible with the ball and an absolutely incredible work rate off it. With the benefit of being at the game and seeing the whole pitch yesterday, he just never stops. He’s first to break the lines and press, and first to drop in and cover when the full backs bomb on or the centre halves step out with the ball. The disrespect and lack of appreciation he’s shown in some quarters is just crazy.

I also thought Declan Rice was superb while he was on yesterday.

We’ve lots of young players that can come away from this tournament feeling very proud of what they’ve achieved. More to come from this England team.

:that:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #296 on July 12, 2021, 03:34:06 pm by selby »
Seconded

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #297 on July 12, 2021, 03:39:54 pm by MachoMadness »

You basically fell into the same trap as the previous bloke,

I never mentioned anything about Rashfords penalty taking skills, i asked why somebody who should of been firing on all cylinders and in the original team has had this fall from grace, if he had played as we expect he can the match would never have got to penalty's in the first place.

i just asked who was advising him and what support he gets, if Ferguson had still been manager would he of allowed a player on mega wages from the club to be distracted from his paid work?

Why do you people get so agitated and make two and two come to five?
Rashford had a good season by anyone's standard so I'm not sure what your point is. The fact that other players in the England squad had even better seasons to keep him out of the side is a good thing, surely? If he was that out of form he wouldn't be in the squad at all, see: Dele Alli. Smacks of using the player with the biggest public profile as a scapegoat, something we're very good at in this country. The fact you're calling everyone who disagrees "snowflakes" shows this isn't a good faith footballing argument you're making.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #298 on July 12, 2021, 03:41:00 pm by dickos1 »
I’ll add that being in that atmosphere was the most amazing thing. I’ll never ever forget it.

I was there too mate
Incredible wasn’t it

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #299 on July 12, 2021, 03:48:03 pm by Jonathan »

I was there too mate
Incredible wasn’t it

Felt like a once in a lifetime mate. Lump in the throat and tears in the eyes stuff - and that was before kick off. This is why I’m uncomfortable with some of the negative headlines about England fans. I know the behaviour of some has been rightly condemned and is deplorable - there are no excuses for that. But I feel it’s a society issue, not a football one. The atmosphere inside the stadium was just one big party.

Whereabouts were you? We were block 531 - top tier in the corner where Shaw put the goal in. Nobody can ever take that moment away - bedlam.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012