Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 05:05:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jigsaw pieces  (Read 2959 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Jigsaw pieces
« on July 10, 2021, 10:54:05 am by Alan Southstand »
With (hopefully) our left sided forward player set to sign today, that leaves us with 2 main positions yet to fill:

1. Goalkeeper - possible loan yet to be agreed
2. Defensive Midfielder - yet to be sorted

Then, we have both JT and FO both currently sidelined and AB’s departure, yesterday, to factor in. I would think the 2 injured lads will be covered by loans, but will RW add to his defensive cover?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Jigsaw pieces
« Reply #1 on July 10, 2021, 08:31:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Think we need a keeper, center back, defensive midfielder, another winger or two and another striker.

Don't see the need for trialing full backs or CMs, as we've got 3 who can play left back and 2 at right back, and at center mid we've got Bostock, Close, Smith, Hasani and Ravenhill. I see Greaves as 2nd choice DM, once we bring someone in.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 10, 2021, 09:49:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
If we are playing four at back as he seems to want, I think we are ok for centre backs. Anderson and probably Williams will start. John and Blythe as reserve.

We are probably a senior central midfielder down and maybe if there is money, another central striker and a right wide player.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 10, 2021, 09:53:47 pm by Alan Southstand »
First of all, it was the first friendly of the season and cobwebs needed blowing off, but that was underwhelming for me. I know Richie has not finished his building process yet, but there are lots to work on and it all seems a bit make do and mend at the moment.

The positives were Roshaun Williams and the new right back, but neither were put under any great pressure. The midfield 3 were ok, nothing spectacular.

The negatives - Anderson getting a knock and it’s going to be scanned. The last thing we need is him out! Up front, I thought we looked powder puff and nothing to get excited about. Bogle still has to do a hell of a lot more to convince anyone! It’s to be hoped Fej is back soon and the new lad is soon up to speed.

To add a bit of perspective, apparently Rotherham played their first friendly and played 2 different 11’s in each half with only 1 triallist on show. They won 11-0.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 10, 2021, 09:59:43 pm by Chris Black come back »
We don’t want to be reading too much into the first friendly. It is though not great that Taylor, Fej and now potentially Anderson, are not fully fit during pre-season. They would all start.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 10, 2021, 10:07:43 pm by IDM »
What’s wrong with the first or several pre-season friendlies, with an as yet unfinished squad, being a  little underwhelming.?

It’s a practice match, not a competitive one.  What Rotherham or anyone else does at the same stage is largely irrelevant.

I’ll be more interested where we are at the end of pre-season.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 10, 2021, 10:14:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It's a friendly, the result isn't important.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 10, 2021, 10:40:35 pm by RobTheRover »
It's a training session, at the end of the day. Richie was happy with both halves, and said we performed better than expected given where we are in the plan.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 10, 2021, 11:01:17 pm by sha66y »
First of all, it was the first friendly of the season and cobwebs needed blowing off, but that was underwhelming for me. I know Richie has not finished his building process yet, but there are lots to work on and it all seems a bit make do and mend at the moment.

The positives were Roshaun Williams and the new right back, but neither were put under any great pressure. The midfield 3 were ok, nothing spectacular.

The negatives - Anderson getting a knock and it’s going to be scanned. The last thing we need is him out! Up front, I thought we looked powder puff and nothing to get excited about. Bogle still has to do a hell of a lot more to convince anyone! It’s to be hoped Fej is back soon and the new lad is soon up to speed.

To add a bit of perspective, apparently Rotherham played their first friendly and played 2 different 11’s in each half with only 1 triallist on show. They won 11-0.

I believe you are going to be underwhelmed for quite a while Alan, 

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 11, 2021, 12:17:07 am by dickos1 »

Is this a joke?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 11, 2021, 12:20:47 am by Janso »
Obviously not. We need to be pumping shite like this to death, 11-0 with a goal for each player MINIMUM or we may as well pack in.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 11, 2021, 07:09:42 am by graingrover »
I imagine that the eight trialists were earmarked by our manager or the new recruitment officer .I don’t understand how this part of the strategy fits the budgetary aspects since we know that the priority for what is left to spend is a goalkeeper and defensive midfielder neither of which positions were covered by the eight yesterday .

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 11, 2021, 07:43:27 am by 5minstogo »
I think there is a bit more room in the budget now Butler has moved on. Wellens said he is going to start negotiations with Barlow.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 11, 2021, 07:51:50 am by steve@dcfd »
Where was Ed Williams yesterday the forgotten player was he there. Wonder if he’s moving on or is he injured.

Difference between us and Rotherham at the moment they retained 22 squad players from last season majority with experience of Championship football.  We are building a squad which we haven’t done for a while. We will still have to get loan players in to supplement the squad. We all hope when it comes to competitive games we will have a team and squad that can compete in the league.
RW sees the sense of trialling different players he’s seen the squad he knows what is required we will see what he thinks of the young players if they stay with the squad or go on loan for experience.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:02:17 am by steve@dcfd »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 11, 2021, 08:05:42 am by dickos1 »
Comparing pre season results with other sides is possibly the most ludicrous thing I’ve ever heard

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 11, 2021, 08:12:11 am by steve@dcfd »
The other ludicrous thing is year upon year we are losing players this year it’s a major build. We are still reliant especially in attacking areas on loanees. Supporters complained last year on the amount of loans yet with the budget reduced that was the only way we could afford a competitive team. So this year we are building again we will still need loans. The comparison was on the size of the squads now and where we have got to build from.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 11, 2021, 08:15:30 am by RoversAlias »
Losing players is not ridiculous, loads of EFL teams have a big turnover of players in their squad every summer. That's the nature of football at this level.

Pre-season results mean nothing. Yesterday was basically a stage-managed training game, only fans were allowed to attend.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 11, 2021, 08:26:30 am by dickos1 »
The other ludicrous thing is year upon year we are losing players this year it’s a major build. We are still reliant especially in attacking areas on loanees. Supporters complained last year on the amount of loans yet with the budget reduced that was the only way we could afford a competitive team. So this year we are building again we will still need loans. The comparison was on the size of the squads now and where we have got to build from.

In attacking areas we have Bogle, okenabirhie, Taylor, hiwulu, so we’re not overly reliant on loans for attacking players at all.
Most successful sides in this league have 4/5 quality loan signings, nothing wrong with that
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:56:10 am by dickos1 »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 11, 2021, 08:28:45 am by DonnyOsmond »
I think there is a bit more room in the budget now Butler has moved on. Wellens said he is going to start negotiations with Barlow.

Ohh. Where you heard this?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 11, 2021, 08:41:21 am by NickDRFC »
Losing players is not ridiculous, loads of EFL teams have a big turnover of players in their squad every summer. That's the nature of football at this level.

Pre-season results mean nothing. Yesterday was basically a stage-managed training game, only fans were allowed to attend.

Yes, but to varying degrees. Ben Mathew on Twitter does excellent analysis including squad churn, ours is the 2nd highest in the division. It’s clear that Wellens has a huge rebuild on his hands this season.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 11, 2021, 08:51:09 am by steve@dcfd »
The squad are going to Scotland today for a couple of days before calling back at Spennymoor for next organised training session. Four Trialist are going with them. As some would put it an irrelevant CH and fullback (Akinola and Flanagan) and two forwards (Barlow and Gardner). That’s all they can take so according to Liam it doesn’t mean the others are not required they may play again if still available.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 11, 2021, 09:50:11 am by EasyforDennis »
The squad are going to Scotland today for a couple of days before calling back at Spennymoor for next organised training session. Four Trialist are going with them. As some would put it an irrelevant CH and fullback (Akinola and Flanagan) and two forwards (Barlow and Gardner). That’s all they can take so according to Liam it doesn’t mean the others are not required they may play again if still available.

Are those the trialists who ARE going or is it a case of. You think they are four who are going?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 11, 2021, 09:58:20 am by steve@dcfd »
Liam Hoden says they are the four that are going

Also Anderson and Okenabirhie are going even though both have injuries. They are hoping Fej can train a bit extra to get him up to speed. Tom may do light training no contact.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 10:21:00 am by steve@dcfd »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 11, 2021, 10:01:05 am by EasyforDennis »
Just seen it.  :thumbsup:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 11, 2021, 10:23:38 am by RobTheRover »
Where was Ed Williams yesterday the forgotten player was he there. Wonder if he’s moving on or is he injured.

Difference between us and Rotherham at the moment they retained 22 squad players from last season majority with experience of Championship football.  We are building a squad which we haven’t done for a while. We will still have to get loan players in to supplement the squad. We all hope when it comes to competitive games we will have a team and squad that can compete in the league.
RW sees the sense of trialling different players he’s seen the squad he knows what is required we will see what he thinks of the young players if they stay with the squad or go on loan for experience.

Rotherham might have experience of championship football in their squad, but it's experience of failing at that level.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 11, 2021, 01:08:08 pm by RoversAlias »

Yes, but to varying degrees. Ben Mathew on Twitter does excellent analysis including squad churn, ours is the 2nd highest in the division. It’s clear that Wellens has a huge rebuild on his hands this season.

Oh aye, completely but it isn't "ludicrous" as Steve put it, I think there are well documented reasons why we have had to "rebuild" so many times in recent seasons and the club so far this year have taken some good steps to avoid that happening again in 12 months' time, in my opinion.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 11, 2021, 02:23:18 pm by Michael Gibson »
Haven’t a clue why flanagans been picked to go he was shite and got done a few times nowhere near good enough

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 11, 2021, 02:51:05 pm by EasyforDennis »
Haven’t a clue why flanagans been picked to go he was shite and got done a few times nowhere near good enough

Yeh, what do we want with someone who is obviously not 100% fit and has played for Liverpool in the Premiership and Europe.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 11, 2021, 04:18:57 pm by roversdude »
I thought Flanagan did well but needs fitness

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 11, 2021, 06:39:50 pm by sha66y »

Not sure you are entitled to a clue!
But an opinion you most certainly are….and it’s refreshing to see you being so positive !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012