Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 07:45:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Last 26 games  (Read 7482 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Last 26 games
« Reply #60 on August 17, 2021, 11:04:02 pm by the vicar »
Scasby Steve all MCCann did was to sign two good loanees to add to the side that DM put together. He then brought another good loanee in January to replace the injured Wright. Since then  the club have allowed all the best players to leave because of their ambition and our lack of giving them good wages. This season Richie is trying to put another side together but we still have the poor permanent players that DM signed. We all hope his best permanent signings will perform once they are recovered from injury.
Tonight the goal keeper made a bad error yes which caused a goal. Galbraith and Close were the best two midfield players in our side the defence was ok. The young lad up front needs a lot of time against big phys centre  half’s. Apart from one header Bogle did nothing. We need players in.
Bogle the original headless chicken but won’t go after the ball

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 17, 2021, 11:09:25 pm by normal rules »
I’ve watched my team in four divisions now, as I’m sure many have on here.
Getting promoted is wonderful. Getting relegated not so of course. Not so long ago we nearly didn’t have a club.
Seeing your team play at places like Wembley and theMillenium Stadium, Elland Road, st James park etc is wonderful. But the overall feeling of watching the team has never changed for me, be it at Barrow, Boston, Bury, Blackburn or Bolton.
So if this season turns out to be howler, so be it. Lge 2 will be just as much fun as the Championship. I know, because I’ve  been to both. If rovers turn things around, which I certainly hope they will, then the joy this will bring will be amplified given the disappointing start will it not? We know this of course. We are familiar with the roller coaster ride that is drfc.
Rovers have been a yo yo team pretty much for their whole existence. I know they have  for the 42 yrs ive been supporting them.  That won’t change any time soon I suspect, if at all.
And our current generous board won’t be around forever either. Be thankful for small mercies I say.
Here ended the lesson.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 17, 2021, 11:14:15 pm by steve@dcfd »
Barlow, Cuker and Garner are terrible. Worse than terrible in fact. 
You only get players in that we can afford on our budget. We having to send young 18/19 old lads out on loan so we can try and bring others in. We need better I agree and they will learn and hopefully improve but when was the last time we could afford a good forward player. We are all hoping that Taylor and Okenbirhie will do it but even those two and probably Hiwula it’s a hope.

rabjohns

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 17, 2021, 11:21:46 pm by rabjohns »
To be fair to Barlow he was meant to be a work in progress and not playing every game.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 17, 2021, 11:23:02 pm by Canadian Rover »
Not having a decent striker at this level will present a huge opportunity cost. It will be interesting to see who plays in goal next game - if Wellens is true to his word it'll mean a change.

If we look at GM interview about the U18s vs Grimsby he stated they were better technically and were fitter.  So maybe something is running badly through the club.

Imagine we've let the likes of Blair and May leave because we had "better".

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 17, 2021, 11:24:47 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I know last season isn't totally relevant to this team (mostly new players, manager etc) but the feeling i get from match days is the same. Should be optimistic that we can win games but i don't even flinch when we concede and when we do i'm resigned to us losing.

Maybe i'm giving up too easily or there's too much muscle memory from last season. I know we've good players out the team especially up front but i'm not sure they are so great as to make us anything more than mid table.

Important we get points on the board now so when our better players do comeback we're not adrift at the bottom. I know it's crazy to say that but take it too lightly because it's early and before you know it we're in the shit

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 17, 2021, 11:27:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not having a decent striker at this level will present a huge opportunity cost. It will be interesting to see who plays in goal next game - if Wellens is true to his word it'll mean a change.

If we look at GM interview about the U18s vs Grimsby he stated they were better technically and were fitter.  So maybe something is running badly through the club.

Imagine we've let the likes of Blair and May leave because we had "better".

Managers and coaching staff make decisions about players. I think I prefer it that way.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 17, 2021, 11:47:47 pm by danumdon »
Some massive overreactions in this thread, we are three games into a new era with a new manager and we have posters talking about last season and the dross we had to put up with from you know who.

Why can't RW be given time to build his team and style of play, he started off poorly mainly due to missing first choice players, how do you formulate your team and style of play with a forward line of two players playing men's football for the first time in this league and another journeyman who was brought in to shore up gaping holes due to the injuries we currently have. This would never be RW's first choice side so why do individuals throw their toys out already with pathetic statements like relegation bound and i'm happy to finish 20th ect, really poor, the WUMS you expect this sort of crap from but some others are really doing themselves no favors.

We just need to be patient and allow injured players and others to return and be given a chance to  make their mark.

Tonight was another game to put down to learning and developing from, bar the poor keeping mistake (partly recovered with some good saves soon after) Accrington were just a big and niggly side, the kind a footballing team will always struggle against, they went down very easy and played the ref to a tee. We hung in and played the only football on view tonight, we had very little up top and the ball was coming back too quickly for our liking, even then for a little bit more quality (something we do have but unavailable to us just now) we could of got something out of that game, poor as we were.

I still believe that RW can get a tune out of this squad, when he gets the chance to utilise it all, he needs time and some luck, the season has just started and we have the time to pull things round.

Do what it says on the tin and support the club.

Wums and naysayers add nothing and can do one.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 11:50:52 pm by danumdon »

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 18, 2021, 12:07:32 am by Donny Exile in York »
Some massive overreactions in this thread, we are three games into a new era with a new manager and we have posters talking about last season and the dross we had to put up with from you know who.

Why can't RW be given time to build his team and style of play, he started off poorly mainly due to missing first choice players, how do you formulate your team and style of play with a forward line of two players playing men's football for the first time in this league and another journeyman who was brought in to shore up gaping holes due to the injuries we currently have. This would never be RW's first choice side so why do individuals throw their toys out already with pathetic statements like relegation bound and i'm happy to finish 20th ect, really poor, the WUMS you expect this sort of crap from but some others are really doing themselves no favors.

We just need to be patient and allow injured players and others to return and be given a chance to  make their mark.

Tonight was another game to put down to learning and developing from, bar the poor keeping mistake (partly recovered with some good saves soon after) Accrington were just a big and niggly side, the kind a footballing team will always struggle against, they went down very easy and played the ref to a tee. We hung in and played the only football on view tonight, we had very little up top and the ball was coming back too quickly for our liking, even then for a little bit more quality (something we do have but unavailable to us just now) we could of got something out of that game, poor as we were.

I still believe that RW can get a tune out of this squad, when he gets the chance to utilise it all, he needs time and some luck, the season has just started and we have the time to pull things round.

The problem is it could be 3 months until our main forwards are back and at least til Xmas before they are fully match fit and firing. So how do you expect Wellens to turn it around if his hands are tied with the deficient attacking options at his disposal. Its painful yes and he isant a miracle worker. I agree its early days and the positive is with such a thread bare squad to choose from we are not getting thrashed! But we need some pace and quality in front of goal for Wellens to turn it round. Remember Okenabirhie and Taylor for all their qualities were part of a team that fell apart last season so don't hang your hat firmly on their return after no rung games being the savour, particularly after 3 months out. We can't afford to wait 3 months, we need to strengthen now if we are to pick up points on a regular basis not to be marooned at the bottom.of the league in 3 months time.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 18, 2021, 12:10:40 am by bpoolrover »

while you are right to a point, if we wait till our players are fit without getting anyone in then the season is over, at the minute there is plenty of time but, 2 3 months down the line is to late

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 18, 2021, 12:33:50 am by danumdon »

while you are right to a point, if we wait till our players are fit without getting anyone in then the season is over, at the minute there is plenty of time but, 2 3 months down the line is to late

Who said anything about waiting, we all know that the long term injuries are long term, we still have till the end of this transfer window, i think most realise we must bring in some attacking options, its not to late, sense will prevail.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 18, 2021, 12:44:24 am by pib »
I was there tonight and that was not pretty at all.

After the first two games I was thinking that maybe the solution to all this was a couple of new players, or existing players returning from injury. The worrying thing is that from what I saw from that side tonight, that will not be the answer to all our prayers. We have much bigger problems.

In terms of our style of play I haven’t got a clue what we are trying to do at the moment. Whatever we were trying to do went out of the window 2nd half anyway and made way for long, often hopeful, diagonal balls into the front players. Surprisingly that made us marginally better but it still didn’t look like we would score all night.

I really do believe in Wellens as a manager, but something just isn’t right at the club clearly. It’s not normal for a manager to come over to the supporters after the game and to be repeatedly shouting “I know. I know!”, especially not after 3 games.

The one positive I thought was Ben Close, who showed some glimpses of what he can offer. Other than that I’m struggling.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 18, 2021, 01:02:13 am by Bessie Red »
P26 W4 D4 L18 GF22 GA48 Pts 16 PPG  0.615 - Equivalent to 28 points over a season.

Let's be frank. That performance tonight was as bad as anything under Butler, and looked like a side that would do well to finish second bottom.
Well in my opinion we looked a much better team than them, better players, better tactics and I would be surprised if we didn't finish above them come the end of the season. If we had Taylor, Hiwula & Fej  as the top 3 tonight we would have won the game easily.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 18, 2021, 02:14:35 am by PDX_Rover »
Stats are the last thing we need shoving down our throats at the mo BST.

Don't give a f*ck about last season. Move on.

No sensible fan expected a rebuild of the nature we needed to be delivering results from the off especially with the key front players out at the mo, plus others affected by covid.

As RW said, there will be some pain along the way so be prepared. It's a long season in which anything can happen and probably will.
Crikey DBR I am pleased we have got supporters like you who can see the big picture.
Proper fan with a proper perspective.

The knee jerk reactions after every defeat by some on here are embarrassing. Does no one listen to RW
Pain before gain.
WE WILL NOT GET INSTANT SUCCESS THIS SEASON.

Is that seriously too difficult for people to understand.  Yes obviously it is.

It isn't knee jerk though is it? It's been this way since January.

it is knee jerk because of the wholesale changes.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 18, 2021, 02:16:33 am by PDX_Rover »

No sensible fan expected a rebuild of the nature we needed to be delivering results from the off especially with the key front players out at the mo, plus others affected by covid.

As RW said, there will be some pain along the way so be prepared. It's a long season in which anything can happen and probably will.
Crikey DBR I am pleased we have got supporters like you who can see the big picture.

The knee jerk reactions after every defeat by some on here are embarrassing. Does no one listen to RW
Pain before gain.

It’s a completely different team and a new manager, so yes it is knee jerk.
Nothing to do with wellens what happened before, he’s building a brand new team and half of them are injured,
Last season has nothing to do with wellens

As already pointed out, it's incredibly naive to think last seasons disaster will have no bearing on this season. All the same problems are evident already.

Ok Sigmund, why is it naive? New staff. New players. Clean slates.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 18, 2021, 07:31:21 am by Filo »

After the first two games I was thinking that maybe the solution to all this was a couple of new players, or existing players returning from injury. The worrying thing is that from what I saw from that side tonight, that will not be the answer to all our prayers. We have much bigger problems.

In terms of our style of play I haven’t got a clue what we are trying to do at the moment. Whatever we were trying to do went out of the window 2nd half anyway and made way for long, often hopeful, diagonal balls into the front players. Surprisingly that made us marginally better but it still didn’t look like we would score all night.

I really do believe in Wellens as a manager, but something just isn’t right at the club clearly. It’s not normal for a manager to come over to the supporters after the game and to be repeatedly shouting “I know. I know!”, especially not after 3 games.

The one positive I thought was Ben Close, who showed some glimpses of what he can offer. Other than that I’m struggling.

After that second half Galbraith will be out with a sore neck after looking up to the ball going back and forth

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 18, 2021, 07:32:54 am by dickos1 »
Wellens has explained why we matched them up tactically in the second half

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 18, 2021, 07:58:43 am by chrisfisher »

Pain before gain.

It’s a completely different team and a new manager, so yes it is knee jerk.
Nothing to do with wellens what happened before, he’s building a brand new team and half of them are injured,
Last season has nothing to do with wellens

As already pointed out, it's incredibly naive to think last seasons disaster will have no bearing on this season. All the same problems are evident already.

Ok Sigmund, why is it naive? New staff. New players. Clean slates.

Christ, do you want me to spell it out.

In fact, I already have, earlier in the thread, as have others.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 18, 2021, 08:32:06 am by dickos1 »
It’s a new goalie
3 of the back 4 are brand new
The midfield is brand new and the front 3 are brand new.
None of these players will have any thoughts about what happened before they signed

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 18, 2021, 09:02:52 am by drfchound »

Will it be too late though.
Remember that first season in the Championship.
We were as good as relegated by Christmas but then SoD finally brought Heffs back into the team, we won at Forest then went on an amazing run.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 18, 2021, 09:13:47 am by the vicar »

let Wellens build his team that’s a laugh.  Have you not seen he is not allowed to as there is no money

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 18, 2021, 09:16:51 am by dickos1 »

let Wellens build his team that’s a laugh.  Have you not seen he is not allowed to as there is no money

9 of his signings started last night, a further 3 more are injured.
How many more do you think would them account for him building his own team?

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 18, 2021, 09:39:41 am by keith79 »
Maybe league 1 is above our level.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 18, 2021, 09:51:40 am by the vicar »

Who said anything about waiting, we all know that the long term injuries are long term, we still have till the end of this transfer window, i think most realise we must bring in some attacking options, its not to late, sense will prevail.
and there WILL be further major injuries during the rest of the season

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on August 18, 2021, 11:49:55 am by jamesrover17 »

It really worries me like you say that players coming back from injury won't make that much of a difference, I'm sorry but if RW is pinning his hopes on Jon Taylor coming back and resurrecting the season he will be in for a shock...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 18, 2021, 11:53:55 am by RoversAlias »

I'm sorry Vicar but this is just rubbish. Wellens has been given the canvas to build basically an entire team of his own. He has signed a dozen players and they make up the entire team apart from Anderson at the moment.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 18, 2021, 11:57:09 am by danumdon »

I'm sorry Vicar but this is just rubbish. Wellens has been given the canvas to build basically an entire team of his own. He has signed a dozen players and they make up the entire team apart from Anderson at the moment.

Dead right RA, some on here like to belly ache for no reason, can't see the wood for the trees.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 18, 2021, 12:45:28 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’m sorry, but exactly who is talking rubbish?

RW has not had the backing to complete his rebuild and it’s well known that it may take 2 or 3 transfer windows.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 18, 2021, 01:03:33 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I'm not going to join the list of knee-jerkers on here because I believe in the policy of gradual building that the club is adopting.  What does concern me, however is if we aren't able to strengthen sufficiently in this transfer window then January will be much too late to turn our fortunes around sufficient to keep us in this Division.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 18, 2021, 01:20:27 pm by RoversAlias »
I’m sorry, but exactly who is talking rubbish?

RW has not had the backing to complete his rebuild and it’s well known that it may take 2 or 3 transfer windows.

What? Wellens hasn't had the backing...it's pure rubbish, that. Just nonsense. Look at the players we've brought in thos summer, Wellens' top priorities from the mouth of the man himself.

It's not been a good start, obviously, and there's issues to sort. But to claim that the manager has not been able to get his players in for this "rebuild" is just wrong, because we've signed a dozen players and have more to come. The entire team is pretty much players Wellens has signed and wanted.

But people will believe what they like, because they just want to further their narrative that it's the nasty evil board's fault. Pure fiction.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012