Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:20:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Transfer Update - what can you say?  (Read 7247 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Transfer Update - what can you say?
« on August 27, 2021, 09:40:06 am by Jonathan »
Via the Free Press https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/latest-on-doncaster-rovers-pursuit-of-loan-players-plus-other-potential-additions-3361714

No loan signing can be completed ahead of the weekend. We may be able to get an attacking player (presumably one of the free loans) early next week, but no chance of it being ahead of the game where our need is the most desperate.

May be able to offer non-contract terms (and scrambling around before the noon cut off) to a player that’s been training with us all summer. 

May be able to offer (presumably more non contract terms) to a defensive trialist that has turned up in the last few days.

Signing of an established striker on loan still rests on shipping Bogle out, meaning we will have no senior striker for our biggest derby game of the season. Just as we haven’t in any game so far.

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry. I really don’t want to be negative, but it makes for quite some reading. We are DESPERATE for reinforcement ahead of tomorrow. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Transfer Update - what can you say?
« Reply #1 on August 27, 2021, 09:43:48 am by NickDRFC »
Remember when we sold Marquis, were told we had a striker with a better record lined up and then ended up starting the season with Sadlier up front and ultimately signing Thomas and Bingham?

Halcyon days.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 27, 2021, 09:47:17 am by mpc123 »
Remember when we sold Marquis, were told we had a striker with a better record lined up and then ended up starting the season with Sadlier up front and ultimately signing Thomas and Bingham?

Halcyon days.

Can't wait for our front 3 to come back from injury, effectively in 2 to 3 weeks we may not need a new signing, we have 10 days off of that

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 27, 2021, 09:48:10 am by chrisfisher »
It tells you all you need to know.

The stance on the renowned striker has changed. A week ago we'd be signing him and paying a fee, now it's only a loan signing, even if Bogle leaves.

Why are we the only club in the division scratching around like this?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 27, 2021, 09:53:24 am by DearneValleyRover »

The stance on the renowned striker has changed. A week ago we'd be signing him and paying a fee, now it's only a loan signing, even if Bogle leaves.

We aren’t, Portsmouth can’t sign anyone until players leave, Gillingham have a transfer embargo and paper thin squad, Lincoln have only 13 fit players, Cheltenham are struggling to recruit new players, it isn’t just us. It’s going to be interesting to see how many players will be free agents once the window shuts.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 27, 2021, 09:53:35 am by sha66y »

Team rebuild
Injuries both historical and newly acquired
Budget and stability

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 27, 2021, 09:55:18 am by Filo »
Via the Free Press https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/latest-on-doncaster-rovers-pursuit-of-loan-players-plus-other-potential-additions-3361714

No loan signing can be completed ahead of the weekend. We may be able to get an attacking player (presumably one of the free loans) early next week, but no chance of it being ahead of the game where our need is the most desperate.

May be able to offer non-contract terms (and scrambling around before the noon cut off) to a player that’s been training with us all summer. 

May be able to offer (presumably more non contract terms) to a defensive trialist that has turned up in the last few days.

Signing of an established striker on loan still rests on shipping Bogle out, meaning we will have no senior striker for our biggest derby game of the season. Just as we haven’t in any game so far.

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry. I really don’t want to be negative, but it makes for quite some reading. We are DESPERATE for reinforcement ahead of tomorrow. 

It’s hard not to be negative, in past situations like this the powers that be have moved and got bodies in, I can’t help thinking after backing DM in January and DM stabbing the club in the back, they have been put off backing future managers like that. RW in my eyes is suffering through DM’s treachery

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 27, 2021, 09:59:38 am by Jonathan »

Not sure about that, I didn’t see it said that we would be paying a fee.

It’s easy to spend other people’s money, and very ungrateful of people (including me) to be complaining about not committing more when the owners are already plugging a year on year deficit. However, from the outside, I do not understand the stance on the acquisition of the striker. We’ve been told the deal has been in place in principle for weeks now. We’re desperate for it. Presumably it takes us over budget, but which is the bigger risk? Do we risk continuing without a recognised striker (given the obvious lack of goal threat) and accept that whatever happens happens as long as we don’t exceed the budget? Or do we risk going over budget by the cumulative contribution towards a loan player’s wages this season in return for having a focal point in attack, and allowing for the fact that we could yet offset that by offloading Bogle (and Ed Williams) by Tuesday. If we don’t offload them, would the overspend be so catastrophic that it’s worth risking playing without a senior striker for a longer period?

Like I say, easy for me to sit on the sidelines passing comment when it isn’t my money. I am eternally grateful to the owners, and I don’t want any change in ownership at all. But this situation doesn’t make any sense to me.

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 27, 2021, 10:02:19 am by chrisfisher »

Not sure about that, I didn’t see it said that we would be paying a fee.

It’s easy to spend other people’s money, and very ungrateful of people (including me) to be complaining about not committing more when the owners are already plugging a year on year deficit. However, from the outside, I do not understand the stance on the acquisition of the striker. We’ve been told the deal has been in place in principle for weeks now. We’re desperate for it. Presumably it takes us over budget, but which is the bigger risk? Do we risk continuing without a recognised striker (given the obvious lack of goal threat) and accept that whatever happens happens as long as we don’t exceed the budget? Or do we risk going over budget by the cumulative contribution towards a loan player’s wages this season in return for having a focal point in attack and allowing for the fact that we could yet offset that by offloading Bogle (and Ed Williams) by Tuesday. If we don’t offload them, would the overspend be so catastrophic that it’s worth risking playing without a senior striker for a longer period?

Like I say, easy for me to sit on the sidelines passing comment when it isn’t my money. I am eternally grateful to the owners, and I don’t want any change in ownership at all. But this situation doesn’t make any sense to me.

I'll try and find the article or Tweet, but he definitely said a fee would be involved and that it would be a signing not a loan.

I've said before, what would cost more relegation or making some more funds available now to dig us out of the situation we are in.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 27, 2021, 10:15:20 am by roversdude »
How much you offering to put in chris

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 27, 2021, 10:20:02 am by chrisfisher »

I've done my bit and bought a season ticket.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 27, 2021, 10:31:06 am by vaya »

Just the one? Why not a couple and put some more money into the club - might help the current situation?

number19

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 27, 2021, 10:34:12 am by number19 »
I hope I'm not the only thinking this, but bore off chrisfisher. I'd bet pound to a penny if we were 3-0 up at half time on Saturday you'd still find fault in something.

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 27, 2021, 10:36:27 am by chrisfisher »

Just the one? Why not a couple and put some more money into the club - might help the current situation?

Aye, a couple of hundred quid is definitely gonna fund some new players.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 27, 2021, 10:39:36 am by vaya »

Perhaps you could organise some crowdfunding then?

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 27, 2021, 10:42:20 am by chrisfisher »

Perhaps you could shut up?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 27, 2021, 10:45:26 am by vaya »

Perhaps you could shut up?

We've been asked to have a whip round for a striker before, seems an ideal opportunity to repeat that.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 27, 2021, 10:51:10 am by Metalmicky »

Perhaps you could sit in a bath of beans Chris - like they do on Children in Need...?

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 27, 2021, 10:58:43 am by chrisfisher »

Perhaps you could sit in a bath of beans Chris - like they do on Children in Need...?

The way things are going, it won't be long before the collection buckets come out.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 27, 2021, 11:04:46 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Ignoring the daft posts in this thread. I agree on both parts. We are close to a good squad without injured players (there's no doubt a disrupted pre season will have had a huge effect).

I think we have a good defence, two decent keepers who will improve, midfield is strong and we have a few good wide players and potential. We are for me one wide player and one striker short when everyone is fit. Everyone being fit the vital point and I do think the injuries to a light attack are a real problem which will improve.

Short term it's a huge mess. Long term it's much more positive. Having said that I'm critical of the change to go to more loans again after promoting a squad that wouldn't have that we've retreated to that route which like it or not is the cheap option.  We have no desire for a permanent striker which is a real concern. We need a focal point there to build upon.  It's not all bad and we will get better, but just give Wellens that striker.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 27, 2021, 11:05:54 am by silent majority »

The way things are going, it won't be long before the collection buckets come out.

Why would that be?

Surely you're not just trotting out these one-liners to cause malcontent on the forum? Surely you have some evidence that supports your post?

No? Nothing?

I thought so.

number19

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 27, 2021, 11:41:37 am by number19 »
Going back to the OP.

Does anyone have any idea who these two mentioned might be?

May be able to offer non-contract terms to a player that’s been training with us all summer. - Butterfield?
May be able to offer to a defensive trialist that has turned up in the last few days.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 27, 2021, 11:43:51 am by jamesrover17 »
Going back to the OP.

Does anyone have any idea who these two mentioned might be?

May be able to offer non-contract terms to a player that’s been training with us all summer. - Butterfield?
May be able to offer to a defensive trialist that has turned up in the last few days.

Hoden denied Butterfield... Charlie Colkett maybe? Or Jayden Onen, the guy that got wiped out in the blades match

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 27, 2021, 11:49:58 am by steve@dcfd »
The non contract offer is for a forward so don’t think butterfield.
But here’s the difference Wycombe who were just relegated and look they’ve got a good chance of going back up signed Sam Vokes and have just paid a fee of £150000 to Bristol Rovers for Brandon Hanlon. So you can debate in here but finances are restricting our progress

number19

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 27, 2021, 12:02:42 pm by number19 »
That must be the third time I've read that spiel from you today steve, do you need someone to say 'you're right' to feel better?
Personally, I don't give two hoots what Wycombe are doing.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 27, 2021, 12:03:06 pm by Jonathan »
But here’s the difference Wycombe who were just relegated and look they’ve got a good chance of going back up signed Sam Vokes and have just paid a fee of £150000 to Bristol Rovers for Brandon Hanlon. So you can debate in here but finances are restricting our progress

I know what you’re getting at Steve, but the comparisons with other clubs don’t really mean much as there are so many variables. Our owners are better placed than anyone to understand what we can and can’t afford. We’re not Wycombe, but we have our own issues to address and the strength of the playing squad is a concern to me as a fan.

I really don’t want this thread to descend into silliness as it seems to have in some of the earlier posts, and I hate to see the embarrassing negativity (which I think largely comes from kids that don’t know any better) towards the owners. But as a fan, an interested stakeholder and without any detailed knowledge of our budget and financial position, I do not understand why we are holding off bringing in essential additions given the obvious weaknesses in the squad.

I thought the reason we changed to signing a loan goalkeeper was that we needed to divert funds to other areas. Likewise the decision not to sign a defensive midfield player at this stage. But the impasse on attacking incomings (especially a striker) is mystifying and it’s costing us points. And I don’t mean bringing players in for the sake of it. As highlighted above, the deal for the established striker has been in place in principle for weeks.

In any case, our non-contract ‘targets’ will either need to be registered now, or they won’t be available for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:05:27 pm by Jonathan »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 27, 2021, 12:15:06 pm by roversdude »
Chris fair enough at least you’ve bought a season ticket unlike some others who just moan and moan and moan

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 27, 2021, 12:26:04 pm by godlike1 »
Ignoring the daft posts in this thread. I agree on both parts. We are close to a good squad without injured players (there's no doubt a disrupted pre season will have had a huge effect).

I think we have a good defence, two decent keepers who will improve, midfield is strong and we have a few good wide players and potential. We are for me one wide player and one striker short when everyone is fit. Everyone being fit the vital point and I do think the injuries to a light attack are a real problem which will improve.

Short term it's a huge mess. Long term it's much more positive. Having said that I'm critical of the change to go to more loans again after promoting a squad that wouldn't have that we've retreated to that route which like it or not is the cheap option.  We have no desire for a permanent striker which is a real concern. We need a focal point there to build upon.  It's not all bad and we will get better, but just give Wellens that striker.

Hasn't the injury crisis shown we are still lacking strength in depth though? Up front mainly I admit

The club say they want to rebuild to regain an identity. So far this rebuild is just creating further distance between then and the fans. Plus we're now having to go scrounging to other clubs to get players on loan for nowt. The club seemingly won't be flexible to the situation where this renowned striker would potentially lift the air of frustration amongst the fans. God knows who he is but it'd show how the club want to support RW and bring someone who may be a possible signing next season as part of a new identity.

We need to see what we have when the window closes but currently it feels like a massive own goal by the club if things do not improve before it closes

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 27, 2021, 12:34:37 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Hasn't the injury crisis shown we are still lacking strength in depth though? Up front mainly I admit

The club say they want to rebuild to regain an identity. So far this rebuild is just creating further distance between then and the fans. Plus we're now having to go scrounging to other clubs to get players on loan for nowt. The club seemingly won't be flexible to the situation where this renowned striker would potentially lift the air of frustration amongst the fans. God knows who he is but it'd show how the club want to support RW and bring someone who may be a possible signing next season as part of a new identity.

We need to see what we have when the window closes but currently it feels like a massive own goal by the club if things do not improve before it closes

Are you basing fans on you and your mates because I’m sure there are as many fans who either see what the club is trying to do as there are kicking off about the budget.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 27, 2021, 12:39:40 pm by The Beast »
So we could sign a renowned striker for tomorrow apparently but what would be the point if he’s stood up front twiddling his thumbs while we’ve got 3 teenagers playing at the back getting leathered ?
We’ve got 2 weeks without a league game after tomorrow, just write it off then review the situation. No point in panic buys we’ve seen that before.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012