Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:21:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Transfer Update - what can you say?  (Read 7248 times)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Transfer Update - what can you say?
« Reply #30 on August 27, 2021, 12:46:42 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Remember when we sold Marquis, were told we had a striker with a better record lined up and then ended up starting the season with Sadlier up front and ultimately signing Thomas and Bingham?

Halcyon days.

These sort of statements always seem to be made during peak ST selling month

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 27, 2021, 01:02:08 pm by Jonathan »
So we could sign a renowned striker for tomorrow apparently but what would be the point if he’s stood up front twiddling his thumbs while we’ve got 3 teenagers playing at the back getting leathered ?
We’ve got 2 weeks without a league game after tomorrow, just write it off then review the situation. No point in panic buys we’ve seen that before.

Could we? I thought the message was that we can’t sign the recognised striker for tomorrow (and presumably we haven’t). This isn’t a case of just signing anyone, this is a target for whom a deal has been agreed in principle for weeks. But we continue to hold off and gamble on playing without a senior striker.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 27, 2021, 01:06:27 pm by Filo »
What we have effectively chosen to do is give the rest of the league 5 games start, we know we’ll get beat tomorrow, and it’s a good bet we’ll be bottom of the league by teatime, madness to be as unprepared as this

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 27, 2021, 01:28:43 pm by keyser_soze »
It tells you all you need to know.

The stance on the renowned striker has changed. A week ago we'd be signing him and paying a fee, now it's only a loan signing, even if Bogle leaves.

Why are we the only club in the division scratching around like this?

We aren’t, Portsmouth can’t sign anyone until players leave, Gillingham have a transfer embargo and paper thin squad, Lincoln have only 13 fit players, Cheltenham are struggling to recruit new players, it isn’t just us. It’s going to be interesting to see how many players will be free agents once the window shuts.

Reading the story about Wilshere considering quitting at 29 as he is without a club. Be interesting to hear how many established players at our level are without a club.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 27, 2021, 01:32:10 pm by The Beast »
So we could sign a renowned striker for tomorrow apparently but what would be the point if he’s stood up front twiddling his thumbs while we’ve got 3 teenagers playing at the back getting leathered ?
We’ve got 2 weeks without a league game after tomorrow, just write it off then review the situation. No point in panic buys we’ve seen that before.

Could we? I thought the message was that we can’t sign the recognised striker for tomorrow (and presumably we haven’t). This isn’t a case of just signing anyone, this is a target for whom a deal has been agreed in principle for weeks. But we continue to hold off and gamble on playing without a senior striker.
So is this player at another club? Surely he can’t be sitting about waiting for us ?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 27, 2021, 01:32:44 pm by foxbat »
ought to be some bargains co.ing up  :scarf:

keyser_soze

• Forum Member

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 27, 2021, 01:38:28 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s a long term project. A thread fretting about who we may or may not sign in the next 24 hours is the antithesis of that objective. There is a plan in place longer term, some very short term dislocation isn’t a major issue.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 27, 2021, 01:39:12 pm by drfchound »
What we have effectively chosen to do is give the rest of the league 5 games start, we know we’ll get beat tomorrow, and it’s a good bet we’ll be bottom of the league by teatime, madness to be as unprepared as this

What.
Did we choose to get all these players injured.
No one knew that was going to happen, except with hindsight of course, and had it not happened I feel sure we would have more points.
Some people just need to moan to be happy.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 27, 2021, 01:50:32 pm by Bessie Red »
The non contract offer is for a forward so don’t think butterfield.
But here’s the difference Wycombe who were just relegated and look they’ve got a good chance of going back up signed Sam Vokes and have just paid a fee of £150000 to Bristol Rovers for Brandon Hanlon. So you can debate in here but finances are restricting our progress
Will Wycombe not have got a big payment from being in  the Championship? Genuine question not trying to be clever.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 27, 2021, 01:54:21 pm by Filo »

What.
No one knew that was going to happen, except with hindsight of course, and had it not happened I feel sure we would have more points.

No ofcourse we didn’t choose to get players injured, but when it became apparent our front line was going to be out for 3 months surely a plan should have been in place to address this issue rather than play the first 5 games without an established striker, and relying on a kid with zero experience and a player that looks like he can’t be arsed with the game. So yes we chose to play 5 games knowing we would struggle to score

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 27, 2021, 02:03:34 pm by drfchound »

What.

No ofcourse we didn’t choose to get players injured, but when it became apparent our front line was going to be out for 3 months surely a plan should have been in place to address this issue rather than play the first 5 games without an established striker, and relying on a kid with zero experience and a player that looks like he can’t be arsed with the game. So yes we chose to play 5 games knowing we would struggle to score

So you are saying then that the owners should have put their hands in their pockets again.
Wellens had brought in some attacking players and they got injured.
I suppose it is easy to say we should ask the owners to  chuck more of their money at it and bring in another striker.
A bit of realism is required.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 27, 2021, 02:06:47 pm by DearneValleyRover »
There is a plan in place Filo but the players Ritchie wants aren’t available or we don’t have enough funds to buy them, he’s rightfully said he doesn’t want to get just anybody because we could potentially have another Bogle scenario next season along with a huge turnover of players that we has fans have been bemoaning for the last few seasons

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 27, 2021, 02:20:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just because we're playing Rotherham tomorrow shouldn't affect matters in hand.

With the striker in question, a loan move with a view to a permanent move should he prove himself would be the better option in my opinion. We could easily find ourselves wasting a big fat wedge if we took too big a risk on him. There's always two or more sides to the coin which means it's not all down to us. The player himself and the other club involved. Things could change very easily over the next few days as cards begin to be dealt. Certainly from what we gather, if a certain player was to leave, then the risk with the replacement would become more manageable.

Having to bring in short term fix players is far from ideal and let's not be silly, of course this is not part of the longer term plan but to manage that transition and to cover the injuries is unavoidable.

We'd all love it to be the case that the board say to Richie "Go get the striker" but clearly it's not as simple as that. Maybe we'll get to know more in the not too distant future, but while the window is open and poker games are being played it's not the right time to be having an inquest into all our transfer sctivity to date.

Obviously the omens for Saturday don't look good but it's not going to define our season so anything we get will be a well received bonus.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 27, 2021, 02:34:35 pm by Filo »

What.

So you are saying then that the owners should have put their hands in their pockets again.
I suppose it is easy to say we should ask the owners to  chuck more of their money at it and bring in another striker.

I think if you go back through my posting history, you’ll find that I support the financial model, we’ve not had an instance before where all our front line is injured, which calls for a bit of flexibility within the model to enable us to stay competitive. I think you are looking for an argument that isn’t there

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 27, 2021, 02:39:08 pm by drfchound »

What.

I think if you go back through my posting history, you’ll find that I support the financial model, we’ve not had an instance before where all our front line is injured, which calls for a bit of flexibility within the model to enable us to stay competitive. I think you are looking for an argument that isn’t there

I’m certainly not looking for an argument Filo.
I am just stating the obvious.
I did find your post rather silly though.
I notice you haven’t objected to what the two posts after mine have written.
Just be realistic, the club haven’t got the funds to do anything other than what they have done.
Oxford and Blackpool had a poor start last season and were well positioned at the end so why shouldn’t  that be us this season.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:42:14 pm by drfchound »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 27, 2021, 03:03:48 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I would suggest that everyone looks at the James Coppinger interview thread and then watch it, very enlightening

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 27, 2021, 03:14:49 pm by Batleyred »
I would suggest that everyone looks at the James Coppinger interview thread and then watch it, very enlightening

This  :rtid: :rtid:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 27, 2021, 03:18:12 pm by Filo »

What.

Just be realistic, the club haven’t got the funds to do anything other than what they have done.
Oxford and Blackpool had a poor start last season and were well positioned at the end so why shouldn’t  that be us this season.

End of discussion, you were the one that quoted me and questioned me in the first instance, and I replied, like I say end of discussion before another thread descends into a what about him thread

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 27, 2021, 03:24:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
What plan could we have had other than the owners put their hands in their pockets? Maybe move quicker on free loans but it'd still be an issue to lots of people.

I'd only say we should of started getting rid of Bogle sooner but i'm sure we've been at that all summer with no takers

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 27, 2021, 04:18:08 pm by silent majority »
Remember when we sold Marquis, were told we had a striker with a better record lined up and then ended up starting the season with Sadlier up front and ultimately signing Thomas and Bingham?

Halcyon days.

These sort of statements always seem to be made during peak ST selling month

Do they?

I seem to remember during peak ST selling period this season the club told everybody it would be a rebuilding season, that it wasn't our intention to push for top 6 and that it would take more than one transfer window to put the club in a position that they would want.

Hardly fits your narrative.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 27, 2021, 04:23:22 pm by drfchound »

What.

End of discussion, you were the one that quoted me and questioned me in the first instance, and I replied, like I say end of discussion before another thread descends into a what about him thread

There is only you who will do that.
I have been making valid points.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 04:26:41 pm by drfchound »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 27, 2021, 05:13:45 pm by drfchound »

100% this.
As Copps says, everyone needs to understand where we are and fans shouldn’t expect instant gratification.
Patience is needed.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 27, 2021, 06:50:30 pm by EasyforDennis »
There is a plan in place Filo but the players Ritchie wants aren’t available or we don’t have enough funds to buy them, he’s rightfully said he doesn’t want to get just anybody because we could potentially have another Bogle scenario next season along with a huge turnover of players that we has fans have been bemoaning for the last few seasons

I see Ronaldo has agreed to sign for Man Utd. Looks like being plan B then. ;)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 27, 2021, 06:51:45 pm by DearneValleyRover »

I see Ronaldo has agreed to sign for Man Utd. Looks like being plan B then. ;)

Yeah taking that kid Sancho on loan

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 27, 2021, 07:04:55 pm by the vicar »
I hope we don’t sign Butterfield

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 27, 2021, 07:08:29 pm by sha66y »
I hope we don’t sign Butterfield

Reason?

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 27, 2021, 07:17:37 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
What plan could we have had other than the owners put their hands in their pockets? Maybe move quicker on free loans but it'd still be an issue to lots of people.

I'd only say we should of started getting rid of Bogle sooner but i'm sure we've been at that all summer with no takers
RW said after the Stoke game that he had been allowing offers for 2 or 3 months for the likes of bogle, Williams and Butler (we now know they are the 3 who he tried moving on when he first came) but unfortunately only 1 has gone.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 27, 2021, 07:19:04 pm by the vicar »
He dint do to well last time he played in England then went abroad and under performed, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 27, 2021, 07:20:40 pm by the vicar »

RW said after the Stoke game that he had been allowing offers for 2 or 3 months for the likes of bogle, Williams and Butler (we now know they are the 3 who he tried moving on when he first came) but unfortunately only 1 has gone.
and couldn’t we just do with Andrew Buttler right now

TinyPortal © 2005-2012