Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 12:27:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Joe Dodoo  (Read 9630 times)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: Joe Dodoo
« Reply #30 on September 06, 2021, 01:08:25 pm by glosterred »
Let’s hope he isn’t!

COYR

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 06, 2021, 01:09:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
Handing two years out to a panic signing when there was no money in the pot a week ago doesn’t scream of joins up thinking with a happy ending does it.

That's not the context though, is it? We had a plan, that didn't work out, so now got to get something else sorted.

Signing players from the smallest pool of players ever available is madness. Not impossible that you pick a good one up but it’s more by luck than judgement.

Gaz

Given your overwhelming knowledge of the game if we go back to before the window closed just who do you think we should have:
a) Signed?
b) Been prepared to pay?

Harrison on loan from Pompey would have been a pretty good starting point.

You can’t alway sign who you want admittedly.
May have been a good signing but since 2018 to now he’s scored 10 goals in 70 games at league 1. All these players are a risk.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 06, 2021, 01:09:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Right, so we needed a striker. We've got a striker. Let's think of something negative to say!!

Of course, we all know RW would have preferred not to have been without Fejiri, Hiwula, Taylor etc and then secured a more preferred choice but, it is what it is.

RW said our season will start after the international break, so let's look forwards not backwards!

Good luck to 'Aga' and hope he does the Do!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 06, 2021, 01:10:04 pm by The Beast »
Strikers are all about confidence, people go on wiki (some dosser has just edited it btw) and look at the ratio but that doesn’t tell the full story. You don’t know who he’s been behind in the pecking order, if he’s mostly coming off the bench. He’s going to have a chance at being the main man here for at least for a month, let’s hope he rips it up!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 06, 2021, 01:11:10 pm by SydneyRover »
Sounds impressive

''Joseph Dodoo is a Ghanaian professional footballer who plays as a forward for Doncaster Rovers, in his interview he said having the chance to play along side Omar Bogle was a no brainer and he's looking forward to being part of the deadliest striking force in the world. Wikipedia''

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 06, 2021, 01:11:32 pm by andyst79 »
Realistically it's not bad signing under the circumstances but like Gaz has stated previously in other threads we need to get smarter with our recruitment. Brentford's moneyball philosophy is something we seriously need to be looking at, I appreciate it's easier said than done but it's a good model for a club like ours even if it's on a smaller scale.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 06, 2021, 01:19:34 pm by GazLaz »
Just to add, I’m not knocking the lad at all. It could have been worse. It’s the processes behind the signing that are the bigger issue.

Best of luck to him.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 06, 2021, 01:20:46 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If he’s signed as one of the wide players in the front 3 I think it’s a good signing. I’d be concerned if it’s to play as the number 9 and main source of goals long term. He may have to play that role for now but eventually expect him to play wider

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 06, 2021, 01:21:58 pm by jamesrover17 »
Just to add, I’m not knocking the lad at all. It could have been worse. It’s the processes behind the signing that are the bigger issue.

Best of luck to him.

I think its no coincidence our recruitment has been poor since we started employing 'talent identification managers' personally

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 06, 2021, 01:22:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Realistically it's not bad signing under the circumstances but like Gaz has stated previously in other threads we need to get smarter with our recruitment. Brentford's moneyball philosophy is something we seriously need to be looking at, I appreciate it's easier said than done but it's a good model for a club like ours even if it's on a smaller scale.

I would imagine that would take some serious 'investment' to be taking those risks and a huge amount of time tracking players at home and abroad who have the potential.

Plus, If recent financial figures are near the mark then Brentford spending 130% of their income on wages is not a model our board are likely to follow and nor would I want them to.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 06, 2021, 01:30:58 pm by RugbyRover »

Best of luck to him.

I think its no coincidence our recruitment has been poor since we started employing 'talent identification managers' personally

I'd agree with that.

When the previous TIM was here he used to bang on about working four or five windows ahead and have several players for each position. Well fat lot of good its done us.

Anyone know how they Id the talent? Is it all stats based or do they tap into a network of scouts or just use the internet like the rest of us?. Whatever method they use it seems old skool fergie was much better (even he signed some real stinkers tho to be fair).

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 06, 2021, 01:31:43 pm by steve@dcfd »

Best of luck to him.
Gaz I agree with you on the process. But as I see it now the process stops with the CEO for football. The Chairman deals with financial matters at the club not the footballing side.
I hope Dodoo is a good player we will have three new players up front who will have to learn to work together. Then hopefully by the end of this month Taylor and Okenbirhie will be fit enough and ready to add to those players.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 06, 2021, 01:33:13 pm by The Beast »
I find it quite interesting that he’s turned down a contract with Wigan, obviously it’s a pretty grim place, not like sunny Donny, and we don’t know what terms he was offered. There were meant to be clubs interested in him, maybe his agent was just asking too much, seems a bit of a mis-calculation to still be a free agent at this point in the season.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 06, 2021, 01:39:51 pm by jamesrover17 »

Best of luck to him.

I'd agree with that.

When the previous TIM was here he used to bang on about working four or five windows ahead and have several players for each position. Well fat lot of good its done us.

Anyone know how they Id the talent? Is it all stats based or do they tap into a network of scouts or just use the internet like the rest of us?. Whatever method they use it seems old skool fergie was much better (even he signed some real stinkers tho to be fair).

They have some sort of database I believe that delve into really obscure stats

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 06, 2021, 01:42:02 pm by roversdude »
Maybe he wanted a 2 year contract

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 06, 2021, 01:45:11 pm by deebee »
Let's hope he Dodoes the business.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 06, 2021, 01:53:10 pm by jmt23 »
Looks like more of a winger to me, in the bits I've seen... that may be a good thing due to the amount of chances we fail to create for all our midfield dominance. This lad looks very direct, tricky and full of pace, and an important one for me - someone who can cross a ball! sounds simple but not since the Welsh lad under DS have we had anyone with any crossing ability.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 06, 2021, 01:57:29 pm by sha66y »
Handing two years out to a panic signing when there was no money in the pot a week ago doesn’t scream of joins up thinking with a happy ending does it.

That's not the context though, is it? We had a plan, that didn't work out, so now got to get something else sorted.

Signing players from the smallest pool of players ever available is madness. Not impossible that you pick a good one up but it’s more by luck than judgement.

Gaz

Given your overwhelming knowledge of the game if we go back to before the window closed just who do you think we should have:
a) Signed?
b) Been prepared to pay?

Harrison on loan from Pompey would have been a pretty good starting point.

You can’t alway sign who you want admittedly.

He’s shite!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 06, 2021, 02:03:33 pm by sha66y »

Best of luck to him.

I'd agree with that.

They just come onto this forum and get told who to look at !
Ya can’t make this up, …it’s like the old “ top trumps” days…..

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 06, 2021, 02:04:42 pm by Upton Rover »
Desperate times force desperate signings. Only time will tell but got to look at his past few seasons!! poor

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 06, 2021, 02:06:34 pm by Jonathan »
When Josh Parker was put forward earlier I think absolutely everyone was in agreement that would be a backward step and the wrong fit. Dodoo was always one of the more interesting (realistic) options from the list of available free agents. It’s our role as supporters to get behind him now. He’ll provide a better option than we’ve had so far this season.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 06, 2021, 02:13:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Desperate times force desperate signings. Only time will tell but got to look at his past few seasons!! poor

4 goals, 3 assists in 1145 mins (equates to around 12 games) last season when played up front. 1 in 3 isn't bad at all, and neither is being involved in 7 goals in 12.

Some people are hard to please. From the limited pool we were fishing in he is a decent fish.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 06, 2021, 02:21:19 pm by Draytonian III »

Best of luck to him.

Totally agree James, it must be one of the easiest jobs in football, going around different grounds/matches “talent spotting “

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 06, 2021, 02:22:21 pm by godlike1 »
All we can do is support him now as we did with Bogle until he decided to stop trying.

If Wigan did offer him a contract that's hopefully a good sign

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on September 06, 2021, 02:23:46 pm by godlike1 »
I meant to say, that I'd hope rovers still keep a number 9 option open for the Jan transfer window

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 06, 2021, 02:26:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Best of luck to him.

Totally agree James, it must be one of the easiest jobs in football, going around different grounds/matches “talent spotting “

Probably one of the easiest to do, but the hardest to do right. Look at all the money in the Premier League then laugh at the signings Arsenal have made.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 06, 2021, 02:27:11 pm by Metalmicky »
All we can do is support him now as we did with Bogle until he decided to stop trying.

https://www.wiganhub.co.uk/2021/05/27/wigan-athletic-offer-new-contracts-to-nine-first-team-players/

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on September 06, 2021, 02:38:47 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I was going to make a thread about the TIM role the other day. Look at all our good signings this summer. Are any of them players we were unaware of before even as fans with a passing interest in other teams?

All the permanent signings barring Knoyle I could have said we should look at. And Barlow is known to Wellens from Utd so don’t think that counts.

Fair enough the loanees need some inside knowledge but I just don’t feel we’re getting value for money. And it was the same with Moore we either signed his mates or players who’ve been around ages. Unless the strategy was sign players who have the same agent as the manager.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on September 06, 2021, 02:42:04 pm by The Beast »

https://www.wiganhub.co.uk/2021/05/27/wigan-athletic-offer-new-contracts-to-nine-first-team-players/
Notice they didn’t offer Gardner a contract, how long did he sign on for us?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 06, 2021, 02:44:12 pm by Jonathan »

Notice they didn’t offer Gardner a contract, how long did he sign on for us?

One year. Get the feeling that one was a pretty desperate need for bodies. I doubt he’ll be here next season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012