Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 07:37:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra game  (Read 14259 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra game
« Reply #90 on November 02, 2021, 02:20:24 pm by normal rules »
Those incredible 93 seconds against Crewe.
6yrs ago at the km.
Andy Williams chests it down to score, 3-2, and bag rovers all 3 points. When they were losing 2-1 only 93 seconds before.
I’ll take that tonight please.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on November 02, 2021, 02:21:51 pm by normal rules »
With the ongoing injuries, particularly with Close now missing, it limits RWs options even further.

It's going to be another tough one and certainly we'll need plenty of grit and determination to get a result.

It's not a must win. No game is a must win until the second half of the season but one we'd hope we can at least match Crewe.

Psychologically, for the players, I reckon it’s a must win game.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on November 02, 2021, 05:00:55 pm by BigH »
Today’s DFP Article seems to imply that Wellens has only recently decided that Rovers need to be more difficult to beat away from home.

There is also an implication that he can refashion his line-up to achieve this.

I wonder how realistic either aspiration is.

I was struck by Big H’s comment who expressed his shock when he saw them for the first time this season at Wigan, a reaction similar to mine at the Wimbledon game. I kept thinking we’ll see some good football soon, but it never came.

And have they actually got much better since those early games? Goals have come mainly from pressure play, rather than out and out good football.

It is so difficult to discern the strengths (if any) of many of the players.

Cameron John, who was not outstanding alongside his previous seasons’ team mates has a footballing brain which comes out in his comments when he’s on iFollow commentary and he is needed now -urgently.

The most disappointing aspect of this season (and f**k me there's some competition...) is our total inability to grit out the odd draw away from home. Even the very worst sides can be set up to park the bus and grind out points from unlikely circumstances. We have rarely ever looked capable of doing that. You can pretty much guarantee in every away match the the opposition are going to get a minimum of 3-4 very good chances and given our total inability to defend aerial balls into the box, and Dahlberg's tendency to make one major f**k up per game, that means that keeping a clean sheet has been highly unlikely.

We simply HAVE to be set up to prevent the opposition from playing in away matches. If that means playing with 9 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, so be it.
Couldn't agree more.

While I'm not one of those calling for Wellens head, he really doesn't help himself at times with some incredibly naive selections and tactics in away games.

I wonder whether he might benefit from having an 'advisor' to provide a bit of nouse. Mick McCarthy, Nigel Adkins and Keith Hill are all at a loose end at the moment.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on November 02, 2021, 05:07:40 pm by wilts rover »
BigH - he left Salford because he was unwilling to take advice from ex-England internationals. I can't imagine that from any of those others you mentioned will be any more welcome.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on November 02, 2021, 05:21:37 pm by Filo »
Anything less than a win tonight and Saturdays FA Cup tie should be a face off between caretaker managers.

Do you have only the one broken record in your collection?

How about you f**k off? There's a good troll. Sad t**t.

Thats the other one lol!

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on November 02, 2021, 05:23:45 pm by RugbyRover »
BigH - he left Salford because he was unwilling to take advice from ex-England internationals. I can't imagine that from any of those others you mentioned will be any more welcome.

was he being given "advice" or was he being told what team to pick and tactics to play?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on November 02, 2021, 05:32:43 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Today’s DFP Article seems to imply that Wellens has only recently decided that Rovers need to be more difficult to beat away from home.

There is also an implication that he can refashion his line-up to achieve this.

I wonder how realistic either aspiration is.

I was struck by Big H’s comment who expressed his shock when he saw them for the first time this season at Wigan, a reaction similar to mine at the Wimbledon game. I kept thinking we’ll see some good football soon, but it never came.

And have they actually got much better since those early games? Goals have come mainly from pressure play, rather than out and out good football.

It is so difficult to discern the strengths (if any) of many of the players.

Cameron John, who was not outstanding alongside his previous seasons’ team mates has a footballing brain which comes out in his comments when he’s on iFollow commentary and he is needed now -urgently.

The most disappointing aspect of this season (and f**k me there's some competition...) is our total inability to grit out the odd draw away from home. Even the very worst sides can be set up to park the bus and grind out points from unlikely circumstances. We have rarely ever looked capable of doing that. You can pretty much guarantee in every away match the the opposition are going to get a minimum of 3-4 very good chances and given our total inability to defend aerial balls into the box, and Dahlberg's tendency to make one major f**k up per game, that means that keeping a clean sheet has been highly unlikely.

We simply HAVE to be set up to prevent the opposition from playing in away matches. If that means playing with 9 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, so be it.

This is what does it for me too. It's as if we weren't expecting to struggle this year we simply don't have the players to do that which is irritating because we had a summer to build a squad with this task in mind.

We haven't seen any change tactically or in our organisation to suggest the coaching can get this type of performance from us. So the season really will comedown to games like tonight which put's more pressure on them.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on November 02, 2021, 05:35:03 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
He was being told to play more direct at Salford, he got sacked because he didn’t change the style of play and why should he? If they wanted to bring in someone who plays more direct then they shouldn’t have appointed him in first place. 

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on November 02, 2021, 05:47:22 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
He was being told to play more direct at Salford, he got sacked because he didn’t change the style of play and why should he? If they wanted to bring in someone who plays more direct then they shouldn’t have appointed him in first place. 

What's Salford got to do with anything

Not saying he should play direct it's about been solid and playing to win games not just trying the same thing that hasn't worked so far. When SOD 1st came in we the football wasn't direct but even if it wasn't easy on the eye. The focus was on been solid because from there the rest of the game can follow. We're trying to run before we can walk.

Wellens doesn't have to change anything but given our results you'd be forgiven for looking for solutions.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on November 02, 2021, 05:49:08 pm by Cramby10 »
Could someone tell me what style of football he’s playing here please? And not what he tells us we’re playing. Cos I can’t see any.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on November 02, 2021, 06:20:04 pm by ravenrover »
Neville came out on tv the other day saying it was a big mistake to sack his manager after so few games

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on November 02, 2021, 06:20:25 pm by rich1471 »
Could someone tell me what style of football he’s playing here please? And not what he tells us we’re playing. Cos I can’t see any.
not sure he knows himself ,but it's not working that's for sure

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on November 02, 2021, 06:35:33 pm by wilts rover »

Which is my point about bringing in advisors. If Wellens can ignore their 'advice' - then what's the point. If he has to take it -but disagrees with it - then put them in charge.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on November 02, 2021, 06:38:39 pm by ForsolongaRover »
The system is certainly mysterious, but not in a good way. If it is not reasonably clear for us to discern, do the players understand it?

What is significantly absent is that whereas in good times there would be applause for skilful combination play in defence as well and in attack irrespective of whether a goal resulted. I have not been aware of much of that.

When goals are are scored they have been more the result of scrambles than a sophisticated approach or impressive teamwork.

Having looked at some Crewe match highlights their goalkeeper does not look too reliable. Otherwise there are similarities…

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on November 02, 2021, 06:44:10 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
There were some good goals against Cheltenham i think that is the kind of build up Wellens wants up to replicate more often. But we need to get the basics right 1st.

I think in terms of system/style the best way to characterise what is happening is trying to run before we can walk. Become harder to beat then lets focus on a "fluid 433" or whatever

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on November 02, 2021, 07:04:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are playing Olowu at left back again tonight seemingly. Not sure that is a good move.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on November 02, 2021, 07:17:15 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Neville came out on tv the other day saying it was a big mistake to sack his manager after so few games

Sounded like he was talking about the person Wellens replaced.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on November 02, 2021, 07:21:52 pm by drfchound »
Anything less than a win tonight and Saturdays FA Cup tie should be a face off between caretaker managers.

Dear CDH
Really no need for this sort of abuse, regardless of how aggrieved you feel.

I respectfully ask you tone down your use of profanities in your posts.

Thanks
BVB

BVB, that is a fair enough request.
CDH isn’t the only person putting on posts like that though, plenty of it in the off topic section.
It seems to be allowed on the forum now.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on November 02, 2021, 07:22:10 pm by steve@dcfd »
We are playing Olowu at left back again tonight seemingly. Not sure that is a good move.
You are probably right but who else have we got.
Two young lads in midfield nobody else.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on November 02, 2021, 07:24:15 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Let’s have a win tonight lads!.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on November 02, 2021, 07:32:02 pm by steve@dcfd »
I hope you right Sammy but it’s more with hope than judgement

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on November 02, 2021, 07:38:48 pm by normal rules »
Big changes in Crewe lineup. Diff keeper. Diff defence.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on November 02, 2021, 07:47:27 pm by BVB »

Dear CDH
Really no need for this sort of abuse, regardless of how aggrieved you feel.

I respectfully ask you tone down your use of profanities in your posts.

Thanks
BVB

BVB, that is a fair enough request.
CDH isn’t the only person putting on posts like that though, plenty of it in the off topic section.
It seems to be allowed on the forum now.

Hound -you are right, but then if the people who run this forum turn a blind eye to the increasing aggressive and abusive behaviour used by posters, with accompanying foul language, then the quality and rationality of this forum is compromised and it becomes nothing more than a variation of Twitter.

I come on this forum to read rational and informed debate, and enjoy the passion of other posters whether I agree with them or not.

Surely this can be done without the abuse and profanity.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on November 02, 2021, 07:53:04 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

What's Salford got to do with anything

Not saying he should play direct it's about been solid and playing to win games not just trying the same thing that hasn't worked so far. When SOD 1st came in we the football wasn't direct but even if it wasn't easy on the eye. The focus was on been solid because from there the rest of the game can follow. We're trying to run before we can walk.

Wellens doesn't have to change anything but given our results you'd be forgiven for looking for solutions.
that was me replying to Wilts.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on November 02, 2021, 08:02:12 pm by normal rules »
Chris long off for them injured.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on November 02, 2021, 08:03:22 pm by normal rules »
One shot on tgt . This is good.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on November 02, 2021, 08:21:28 pm by since-1969 »
1-0 down to Crewe .. eehh!

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on November 02, 2021, 08:22:09 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
f**ks sake Wellens. Get Cukur off! Sort it out you useless arsewit!!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on November 02, 2021, 08:22:49 pm by normal rules »
Oh god. Just seen goal on sky. Short corner, cross to back post, headed back into box for a tap in.
Not good. That’s their first effort on goal.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on November 02, 2021, 08:26:57 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Get the useless, ruinous Kitson out! No way back of we lose this.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012