Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:05:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra game  (Read 14209 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra game
« Reply #210 on November 03, 2021, 07:12:44 am by sha66y »
It is surely difficult for most of us to understand how those few of you still defend and sustain their faith in Wellens and this most unsuccessful team, and you never give up and rarely acknowledge that there can be alternative opinions. Some might say you are wasting words on here.

However, your unshakable belief in the cause is such that perhaps you should invite yourselves to the training ground and address the players and see if you can instil what you feel into the players and management team where it seems so lacking. Your energy would perhaps engender some spirit, drive, motivation and determination into those who so frustrate the rest of us.

Alternative opinion…not opinions!
It would be so so easy to join the ever increasing queue of Wellens bashers, ridiculing every defeat,…not quite applauding the points gained!

Constantly berating line up formations and lack of effort as if you are the only ones that can see it, ……..dont get me wrong this is a perfect moment to bash the board for not stepping in, for bashing Wellens and the players he selected, for questioning what has gone wrong over the last couple of seasons…..it’s a perfect moment to feel let down, embarrassed and ineffectual as a supporter….

It would be so so easy to join your gang, but until we are mathematically down…….I think I’ll remain vocally positive,…..god knows, the team need it!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on November 03, 2021, 07:38:41 am by Canadian Rover »
I am concerned that the system/tactics changed again last night. We stopped playing the ball to feet and tended to boot it forward. If Richie believes in a passing game and brought in the players to play that way he should stick to it. If there is a method and a process then it shouldn't be completely changed - alterations sure but last night we didn't keep possession  for any length of time. If he's going to take a leaf out of SODs book he needs to belive in what he's doing.

With regards to last night I thought the team were bereft of ideas and quality  - I'll agree with RW that the effort was there though.

But what he sees in a match when summarizing with the media is crazy.

Hiluwa was offside it was easy to spot and yet again he points out that that was a "goal" if we are to believe his summary that we should have scored 3/4 goals in the second half (that would be at 100% finish rate) Cukur and Galbraith had decent chances but that was it no more obvious goal scoring chances...and they had an equal or greater amount to us. It was Crewe who made substitutions to try and win the game not us.

Richie stated a few weeks back that we are no way near the worst team in this division - yet last night we were time wasting to get a draw against the worst team in the division.

I belive Baldwin stated we aren't in a relegation scrap - what a load of b#llocks that is. If we are sticking by Wellens for the future then he needs backing now. Start by giving an extended contract to Olowu (who despite some struggles) has shown character and quality. Extend Galbraiths loan until the end of the season. Put deals in principle in place so when the transfer window opens we are set up....no more repeats of the shambles of the previous windows.

As for Wellens moaning about the squad size - he made his bed with the Williams & Bogle scenario now he needs to deal with the hand he has dealt himself. He pretty much repeated it last night too - he couldn't bring on Barlow as he was critical of his performances, weight and efforts in training - yet he isn't training with the other 2 outcasts.

I think in time Richie will get it right but he needs to belive in the process and system. He has my support and I belive the majority of the fans too. It's time for the board to show that support in terms of budget and funds too.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #212 on November 03, 2021, 08:51:47 am by Campsall rover »
I am concerned that the system/tactics changed again last night. We stopped playing the ball to feet and tended to boot it forward. If Richie believes in a passing game and brought in the players to play that way he should stick to it. If there is a method and a process then it shouldn't be completely changed - alterations sure but last night we didn't keep possession  for any length of time. If he's going to take a leaf out of SODs book he needs to belive in what he's doing.

With regards to last night I thought the team were bereft of ideas and quality  - I'll agree with RW that the effort was there though.

Hiluwa was offside it was easy to spot and yet again he points out that that was a "goal" if we are to believe his summary that we should have scored 3/4 goals in the second half (that would be at 100% finish rate) Cukur and Galbraith had decent chances but that was it no more obvious goal scoring chances...and they had an equal or greater amount to us. It was Crewe who made substitutions to try and win the game not us.

Richie stated a few weeks back that we are no way near the worst team in this division - yet last night we were time wasting to get a draw against the worst team in the division.

I belive Baldwin stated we aren't in a relegation scrap - what a load of b#llocks that is. If we are sticking by Wellens for the future then he needs backing now. Start by giving an extended contract to Olowu (who despite some struggles) has shown character and quality. Extend Galbraiths loan until the end of the season. Put deals in principle in place so when the transfer window opens we are set up....no more repeats of the shambles of the previous windows.

As for Wellens moaning about the squad size - he made his bed with the Williams & Bogle scenario now he needs to deal with the hand he has dealt himself. He pretty much repeated it last night too - he couldn't bring on Barlow as he was critical of his performances, weight and efforts in training - yet he isn't training with the other 2 outcasts.

I think in time Richie will get it right but he needs to belive in the process and system. He has my support and I belive the majority of the fans too. It's time for the board to show that support in terms of budget and funds too.
To the other CR agree with a lot of what you say. With regard to not playing a passing game I think that may be down to both Bostock and Close not playing. Yes The former came on as sub late in the game.
They are the best 2 players we have regarding passing the ball and keeping possession.

RW possibly thought being more direct would unsettle the Crewe defence. I was not there last night but looking at the stats we had less possession than we have had in possibly all the previous league games but we created more goal scoring opportunities, had more shots in total and on target than the oppposition.
The only thing we did not do was score one more goal than Crewe.

Yes it may have been dire to watch but we are currently in a scrap and the sooner some of our supporters start to realise that ( not aimed at you CR  :) ) the better. Pretty football does not get points.
Hard work, determination, team spirit and a strong mental attitude will get us through this.
Pretty football can wait.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on November 03, 2021, 08:53:38 am by Chris Black come back »
Our truly appalling defence means that along with the worst goal difference in not only League One but aside from Norwich City, the entire 92 league clubs, we are essentially four points from safety.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #214 on November 03, 2021, 08:57:41 am by DRCraig »
Such a hard watch. Yet we could have won. No programmes.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #215 on November 03, 2021, 08:59:07 am by Cramby10 »

To the other CR agree with a lot of what you say. With regard to not playing a passing game I think that may be down to both Bostock and Close not playing. Yes The former came on as sub late in the game.
They are the best 2 players we have regarding passing the ball and keeping possession.

RW possibly thought being more direct would unsettle the Crewe defence. I was not there last night but looking at the stats we had less possession than we have had in possibly all the previous league games but we created more goal scoring opportunities, had more shots in total and on target than the oppposition.
The only thing we did not do was score one more goal than Crewe.

Yes it may have been dire to watch but we are currently in a scrap and the sooner some of our supporters start to realise that ( not aimed at you CR  :) ) the better. Pretty football does not get points.
Hard work, determination, team spirit and a strong mental attitude will get us through this.
Pretty football can wait.

Team spirit?? Now I’m no body language expert but there’s doesn’t seem to be much of that on show. Every time we concede there’s just a collective shrug of the shoulders and an acceptance of what just happened. No bollockings, no inquest like when we had a proper skipper like Rob Jones.
And then when we scored last night, poor old Olowu had to celebrate on his own!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #216 on November 03, 2021, 09:19:49 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I’m hoping that too, but I do wonder whether this lot have the mental strength to turn this around. A side like this should not be going down:

Dahlberg

Knoyle
Anderson
John
Rowe

Bostock
Galbraith
Close

Taylor
Fejiri
Hiwula
That sums up the hole that we are in. We have a first XI that, fully fit and in form, might just be a lower mid-table side.

Take any one of those out through suspension, injury  or loss of form and we have nothing to replace them with.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #217 on November 03, 2021, 09:28:06 am by i_ateallthepies »

Anyway, i've got BPD so can say what i like.

Judging by your contributions on this forum I'd call it MPD, or alternatively, simply 'D'.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #218 on November 03, 2021, 09:36:52 am by roversdude »
Just back and I agree it was frustrating. Williams is a clown he plays like his laces are tied together.
Anderson had a decent game, I’m beginning to think part of Toms problem is keeping an eye on Williams and trying to anticipate his next mistake.
Smith should have gone off as he was really walking a tightrope. Tommy Rowe was blowing out his arse at least he put some effort in. The game was crying out for an injection of pace in the last twenty minutes but we decided to stick with a point. Dahlberg needs to stop punching and catch the thing.
Overall not a great advert for League One but we are on the board away from home

We don’t have that injection of pace to come on though

Vilca to run at them would have been my change

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #219 on November 03, 2021, 09:37:51 am by steve@dcfd »
I’m hoping that too, but I do wonder whether this lot have the mental strength to turn this around. A side like this should not be going down:

Dahlberg

Knoyle
Anderson
John
Rowe

Bostock
Galbraith
Close

Taylor
Fejiri
Hiwula
That sums up the hole that we are in. We have a first XI that, fully fit and in form, might just be a lower mid-table side.

Take any one of those out through suspension, injury  or loss of form and we have nothing to replace them with.
That is the problem we have yes but it’s not different in the last few years. We only ever had about 13 good players to call on without reducing the level of the first team. This year that level is lower than the others. We still need other players t add to them to improve the side.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #220 on November 03, 2021, 09:40:51 am by roversdude »

Dahlberg

Knoyle
Anderson
John
Rowe

Bostock
Galbraith
Close

Taylor
Fejiri
Hiwula

That is the problem we have yes but it’s not different in the last few years. We only ever had about 13 good players to call on without reducing the level of the first team. This year that level is lower than the others. We still need other players t add to them to improve the side.

I’m sure we will, just need to keep in touch until January

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #221 on November 03, 2021, 09:44:02 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Dahlberg

Knoyle
Anderson
John
Rowe

Bostock
Galbraith
Close

Taylor
Fejiri
Hiwula

I’m sure we will, just need to keep in touch until January
[/b][/i]

Jesus H. A sad indictment of where our ambition lies.

Stay in touch until January and it is a good job eh? lol

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #222 on November 03, 2021, 09:47:42 am by roversdude »
It is what it is CDH, I’m not chuffed with the position but that is how I see things

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on November 03, 2021, 10:00:22 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Fair enough RD. I'd take that at the moment though, which again is such a sad thing to be admitting.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #224 on November 03, 2021, 12:11:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Dahlberg

Knoyle
Anderson
John
Rowe

Bostock
Galbraith
Close

Taylor
Fejiri
Hiwula

Another issue here. We all accept that we were woeful at the back end of last year. But 5 of last season's squad are in that first choice XI. Wellens has signed FOURTEEN players but 8 of them aren't good enough to get into that first XI.

I hear the line that we are consolidating and building long term. But I don't see how that squares with giving contracts to players who simply don't look good enough for anything but a relegation side.

Dodoo is an example. If we are building for the long term, would we be in a worse position now if we'd played Bogle all season and not given Dodoo a two year contract?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on November 03, 2021, 12:30:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
I get what you are saying but we could play Bogle from now until his retirement and he wouldn’t be scoring. Dodoo has at least scored a few.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #226 on November 03, 2021, 12:35:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Dodoo has scored 1 in 11 league starts for us. Bogle has 2 in 14.

Before anyone starts, I'm absolutely not saying Bogle is the answer to our prayers. But I really don't see how giving a 2 year contract to a player that looks little better is planning for the future.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #227 on November 03, 2021, 12:47:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Hindsight again! Maybe Dodoo is turning out to be a shite signing, but so what?  Name one manager in history who has never made a bad signing. In fact, name one manager with limitless money to spend who has never made a bad signing. Then ask yourself if Dodoo could be struggling because it's much harder to score goals for a team that is struggling.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #228 on November 03, 2021, 12:54:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If only it were one poor signing. I'd forgive that from any manager.

Problem is, at least half Wellens's signings have not improved the quality of the squad.
Dodoo
Cukur
Williams
Vilca
Smith
Gardener
Barlow

They are all, at best, bottom of L1 standard, some of them not at that level. So as I say, I'm struggling to see how these help long term building.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on November 03, 2021, 01:12:45 pm by sha66y »
Fair enough RD. I'd take that at the moment though, which again is such a sad thing to be admitting.

More to the point , what did you think a season of consolidation meant??

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on November 03, 2021, 01:19:05 pm by since-1969 »

Problem is, at least half Wellens's signings have not improved the quality of the squad.
Dodoo
Cukur
Williams
Vilca
Smith
Gardener
Barlow

They are all, at best, bottom of L1 standard, some of them not at that level. So as I say, I'm struggling to see how these help long term building.
Only Wellens .. thought that they would ?mmm ?? Not a very good judge of a player is he !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #231 on November 03, 2021, 01:19:24 pm by dickos1 »

Dodoo
Cukur
Williams
Vilca
Smith
Gardener
Barlow

Smith is better than bottom league one and so is vilca,
It’s hard to show your quality when you’re a young kid in a struggling side but both these players will play the majority of their career higher than bottom of league one.

Other signings were what we needed to fill the squad, imagine what the bench would look like now if we hadn’t signed Barlow, gardener, olowu,
Players like that weee signed because we didn’t have much money and the squad was still half a dozen players short

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #232 on November 03, 2021, 01:19:41 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

More to the point , what did you think a season of consolidation meant??

Consolidation to me means mid table or a bit below and certainly doesn't involve being embroiled in a relegation battle from week 1.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #233 on November 03, 2021, 01:38:34 pm by BigH »
Recruitment has been our achilles heel this year for sure.

At Board level the recruitment of the manager, coaching staff, physios, player recruitment staff has been questionable to say the least. None are inspiring confidence at present. You have to ask whether Board level decisions have been driven by sentiment, budget or expedience.

At Manager level, player recruitment hasn't been up to snuff. I agree with the views of others that we have too many players that are sub-League one standard at present. Why that is you can debate until the cows come home but it's the reality of our situation. It's not unlike that of many other clubs at this level but the difference is that some managers and coaches get far more out of their group of players as a whole than the sum of the individual parts. That is not happening with us.

I don't expect the situation to improve that much over the rest of the season. I see a lot of people pinning their hopes on January. Don't hold your breath is all I would say. There will be a limit to our budget, we will be in competition for players and there's nothing inevitable about good choices being made. If we got a half decent holding midfielder - a la Horlock? - and a forward worthy of the name that'd do me.

The rest is down to fitness, preparation, conditioning, organisation and attitude. That's down to the manager who, frankly, is also sub-League one standard. Time to step up and show he can make the grade.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 01:55:20 pm by BigH »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on November 03, 2021, 01:43:19 pm by pib »

Before anyone starts, I'm absolutely not saying Bogle is the answer to our prayers. But I really don't see how giving a 2 year contract to a player that looks little better is planning for the future.

A bigger problem than Dodoo is Cukur, for me.

For one, he hasn't looked remotely like a Football League standard player at any point since joining. Dodoo has at least done that, albeit in very few and far between spells.

To add to that, Cukur isn't even our player, so is no more of a "long-term" option than Bogle, yet is arguably worse off in terms of form/effectiveness.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #235 on November 03, 2021, 01:45:58 pm by steve@dcfd »

Dodoo
Cukur
Williams
Vilca
Smith
Gardener
Barlow

Vilca and Cukur are young lads they will not help our long term build as they are loans going back to their club. Gardner and Barlow were signed to fill out the squad and were cheap options both will be gone at the end of the season. So Williams and Dodoo have been disappointing in a side that’s the same we hope we will see the best of them. But Billy you know all that players of better quality will cost more than we had. So the first five payers we signed and Williams was one. Dodoo and Olowu were signed after the debacle at the end of the transfer window and losing John with a back problem.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on November 03, 2021, 02:10:24 pm by Chris Black come back »

A bigger problem than Dodoo is Cukur, for me.

For one, he hasn't looked remotely like a Football League standard player at any point since joining. Dodoo has at least done that, albeit in very few and far between spells.

To add to that, Cukur isn't even our player, so is no more of a "long-term" option than Bogle, yet is arguably worse off in terms of form/effectiveness.

I want to be fair to the lad and think maybe we have had a hand in ruining him so young, but Cukur has never at any point looked like a pro footballer. I hope he can come good and have a long career but I doubt very much he will be able to offer us much this season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #237 on November 03, 2021, 02:12:40 pm by drfchound »
Lots of people slagging off Williams during and after the game.
I haven’t seen anyone having a go at big Tom for letting Porter get away from him for the free header goal.
Now if that had been Williams……..

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on November 03, 2021, 02:14:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
As a defensive unit, it is terrible. Has been all season. We concede in 90pc of league games.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on November 03, 2021, 02:34:37 pm by MachoMadness »
Lots of people slagging off Williams during and after the game.
I haven’t seen anyone having a go at big Tom for letting Porter get away from him for the free header goal.
Now if that had been Williams……..
Tom gets let off with a lot because people remember the glory days when he'd block everything with his face. If people looked objectively he's been as bad as Williams this season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012