Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 03:09:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Goals  (Read 1877 times)

bigal

• Forum Member
Goals
« on October 31, 2021, 11:36:10 am by bigal »
Just seen highlights
we need another
goalkeeper

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
Re: Goals
« Reply #1 on October 31, 2021, 12:20:46 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Either that or a goalkeeping coach.

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 31, 2021, 12:36:47 pm by bigal »
Would start with Jones
on Tuesday

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 31, 2021, 12:38:07 pm by eastender »
May be give Jones another chance, he was outed after a couple of blunders in Pre Season when to be fair, that's when everybody is a little rusty.

He's got to get his chance sooner or later, might as well be at Crewe or in the Cup games at Scunny.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 31, 2021, 12:56:56 pm by rich1471 »
What about the 5-6 good saves he made yesterday to keep the score down

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 31, 2021, 12:58:00 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Difficult one this. I can just see the stick that Wellens would get if he picked Jones and we didn't win at Crewe or Scunny.

IMO we should stick with Dahlberg for now but he needs to know that he is seriously underperforming in his all round game. Shot stopping and penalty saves he is the business but his handling is atrocious, he doesn't command the area and his decision making regarding positioning on corners / crosses is abysmal.

Just look at his positioning and panic for the Cambridge goal. Pathetic. No need to be that far out from the near post. Just left the rest of the goal gaping for Gardner to turn it in.

Some of the headers he has conceded from crosses have looked like comfortable saves but then you just see the ball hit the back of the net after their player has headed it. Really poor.

I'd stick with Dahlberg for the next two games but i'd be up for a change of keeper after the Scunny game if we don't have 3 points and are into Round 2.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 31, 2021, 12:58:17 pm by Rovers91 »
Would have been 10 if Jones was in nets.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 31, 2021, 12:59:24 pm by drfchound »
May be give Jones another chance, he was outed after a couple of blunders in Pre Season when to be fair, that's when everybody is a little rusty.

He's got to get his chance sooner or later, might as well be at Crewe or in the Cup games at Scunny.

I think Jones would be playing at Scunny however well Pontus was doing.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 31, 2021, 01:02:13 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Well i think that is a mistake. Can't afford a slip up at Scunny. Obviously league points are the most important but to get knocked out at your local rivals who sit bottom of the entire football league wouldn't be a good look.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 31, 2021, 01:05:32 pm by DonnyNoel »

Well i think that is a mistake. Can't afford a slip up at Scunny. Obviously league points are the most important but to get knocked out at your local rivals who sit bottom of the entire football league wouldn't be a good look.

I tend to agree. The back 5 aren't a unit yet so need as many games as they can. Plus it's a winnable, just need a fortunate draw in the next round and the buzz (and money) from a decent cup run may prove valuable in the short term. Harsh on Jones development I accept.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 31, 2021, 01:10:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I can't understand the stick against Jones. He's not the finished article and hasn't done brilliant in the limited opportunities this season but when given an actual run in the team was very good. Last season Jones kept a lower goals against compared to the expected goals against. This season Dahlberg has a higher goals against compared to his xGA, which would be even wider if he hadn't saved a couple of penalties.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 31, 2021, 01:13:11 pm by ravenrover »
When posters say Jones to play at Scunnie they mean in the Papa Johns surely?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 31, 2021, 01:14:53 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
When posters say Jones to play at Scunnie they mean in the Papa Johns surely?

Hope so. Wouldn't have a problem with that but not for the FA Cup match. Not worth taking the risk for Wellens for extra criticism if it goes tits up.

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 31, 2021, 01:26:38 pm by bigal »
It's going tits up with
Dahlberg nearly every game

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 31, 2021, 01:31:07 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
The defence is abysmal though to balance it out.

Dahlberg cost us a point at Accy but also saved us a point v Pomey and helped get us the 3 against Cheltenham with another penalty save and some other fine stops during the second half.

Jones will simply be coming into a side with a shit defence.

Even against Man City U21's they could have scored a hatful and hit the woodwork twice.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 31, 2021, 01:44:39 pm by bpoolrover »
Dahlberg is a decent keeper yes makes a few errors but commands his area well and makes plenty of decent saves

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 31, 2021, 01:48:53 pm by bigal »
Something has got to change

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 31, 2021, 02:09:35 pm by mpc123 »
Definitely not the keeper change to Jones.

I think without him every game possibly would have been 4.

We do seem to give the opposition alot of chances.

Even when we have won, it as always felt like the opposition could have scored a few more.

I'm hoping Wellens can sort it, as we look alot better with the ball nowadays. But we come up against a good team and we just get slaughtered.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 31, 2021, 02:28:51 pm by Copps is Magic »
Knoyle got ridden like a cuck for the 4th goal.

If you know you're not going to win the ball, you put your body on the line to make sure the attacker does not get a clear header.

Have a look at Olowu's "pass" out for the chance that led to Anderson's clearance off the line.

There's some on here trying to convince the rest of us that these are good players.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 31, 2021, 02:31:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Knoyle got ridden like a cuck for the 4th goal.

If you know you're not going to win the ball, you put your body on the line to make sure the attacker does not get a clear header.

Have a look at Olowu's "pass" out for the chance that led to Anderson's clearance off the line.

There's some on here trying to convince the rest of us that these are good players.
It was Galbraith who was beaten for the 4th. Knoyle had been dubbed 15 mins earlier.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 31, 2021, 02:37:29 pm by Copps is Magic »
I've just looked back, turns out it was Vilca (25). Either way I stand corrected.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 31, 2021, 02:40:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've just looked back, turns out it was Vilca (25). Either way I stand corrected.
Yep you're right. My mistake.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 31, 2021, 03:22:19 pm by Goole Rover »
Just seen highlights
we need another
goalkeeper
[/quote
The Charlton fourth goal says everything how many times have we conceded from the ball to the far post, defenders out of position, keeper in no mans land and to make it worse nobody communicating. I can't believe I'm writing this but Wellens just can't get the message through or should he have to.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 31, 2021, 05:30:27 pm by drfchound »
Yep you're right. My mistake.

Yep, Vilca and Galbraith are very much alike aren’t they.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 31, 2021, 06:37:46 pm by The Beast »
I’m not convinced by Pontus but he’s not got much protection in front of him. As much as I’d love more Donny lads in the team, I wouldn’t put Jones in the team he’s not up to it at this time. Playing him at Scunny could definitely be the writing on the wall for Wellens!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 31, 2021, 06:39:16 pm by GazLaz »
Pontus makes a big mistake seemingly every game. He’s not a great keeper but he’s better than Jones.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 31, 2021, 06:49:24 pm by grayx »
We really are struggling if folk reckon bringing Jones back in goal is the answer.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 31, 2021, 07:11:47 pm by Spud »
We really are struggling if folk reckon bringing Jones back in goal is the answer.

& Bogle....

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 31, 2021, 07:15:58 pm by DRCraig »
No. There are other problems. Keeper is not too bad.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 31, 2021, 07:30:37 pm by Campsall rover »
I keep saying What is Paul Gerrard doing.
He is the keeper coach and set piece coach. Ex Premier League keeper and it seems to me he is not doing a very good job at either role.
Understatement.
We have had some poor goalkeeping over the last few seasons and our set pieces are atrocious and have been for a long time particularly our defending from them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012