Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 07:12:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

How many fans would like to see Rovers lose their next game so that RW is sacked

Yes
8 (5.2%)
No
145 (94.8%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: Richie Wellens  (Read 7140 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Richie Wellens
« Reply #30 on November 07, 2021, 12:51:09 pm by Jonathan »
Wellens needs time to get things right. The current issues can’t all be aligned to the manager. After losing Whiteman, both of the last two managers struggled, and now Wellens is finding it tough. If we sack him, the next one will struggle and if we sack them, so will the one after. You can’t just keep changing managers and expecting a bounce. We don’t have a strong squad. This is a long term rebuild and we have to back the manager we appointed.

Some of the signings don’t look great, but it’s not been an easy task. We’re fishing in a restricted pool of what we can afford, and latterly (after failing to secure a range of forward targets) what was unattached. What happens if the next manager can’t sign top players either? Do we sack him and appoint another one?

This is going to be a long, hard season. The club, fans, manager and players need to hold their nerve. I think we can stay up. Either way there’ll be lots of lessons to learn from it. I back Wellens to get it right in the long term, and that’s exactly why we appointed him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on November 07, 2021, 01:04:08 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I don't think anyone will care much if we lose the next match with it being the pizza cup

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 07, 2021, 01:51:21 pm by Avsuptem »
Wellens needs time to get things right. The current issues can’t all be aligned to the manager. After losing Whiteman, both of the last two managers struggled, and now Wellens is finding it tough. If we sack him, the next one will struggle and if we sack them, so will the one after. You can’t just keep changing managers and expecting a bounce. We don’t have a strong squad. This is a long term rebuild and we have to back the manager we appointed.

Some of the signings don’t look great, but it’s not been an easy task. We’re fishing in a restricted pool of what we can afford, and latterly (after failing to secure a range of forward targets) what was unattached. What happens if the next manager can’t sign top players either? Do we sack him and appoint another one?

This is going to be a long, hard season. The club, fans, manager and players need to hold their nerve. I think we can stay up. Either way there’ll be lots of lessons to learn from it. I back Wellens to get it right in the long term, and that’s exactly why we appointed him.

Your logic is decent and plausible but it makes the assumption that RW has the managerial / man management skills and tactical nous to improve things. There are a lot of very experienced observers of the game and the club on this forum who have seen enough to believe otherwise.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on November 07, 2021, 01:59:55 pm by donnievic »
Talking to a guy at a wedding tonight who has some connections with the board and they told him 3 months ago that they were gonna go with the youth players this year and drop to lg2 as they can be sustainable been a yo-yo club from lg1 and lg2 take from that what u want
load of b*llocks otherwise he woukd be playing Blythe Horton and ravenhill week in week out

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 07, 2021, 02:14:22 pm by glosterred »
Talking to a guy at a wedding tonight who has some connections with the board and they told him 3 months ago that they were gonna go with the youth players this year and drop to lg2 as they can be sustainable been a yo-yo club from lg1 and lg2 take from that what u want

What’s that I can smell….. ah Bovine Excrement

COYR

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on November 07, 2021, 02:20:11 pm by Jonathan »

Your logic is decent and plausible but it makes the assumption that RW has the managerial / man management skills and tactical nous to improve things. There are a lot of very experienced observers of the game and the club on this forum who have seen enough to believe otherwise.

If this forum was used as a guide we’d have a new manager literally every few games.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 07, 2021, 02:23:54 pm by glosterred »

If this forum was used as a guide we’d have a new manager literally every few games.

We’d have a new manager after every defeat if this forum was the guide, that’s a lot of managers we’d have been through!

COYR

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on November 07, 2021, 03:14:15 pm by dickos1 »
Blowing his pre season budget on poor signings

OR   

Blowing his poor pre season budget on what he can attract.

Coventry have the 3rd lowest budget in the championship. They sit 4th in the table. Whilst i concede we have small budget, it cant be lower than Accringtons, Cambridge, Morecambe etc.

Wellens is under acheiving.

Not all about budget though, the teams you mentioned weren’t building from a squad of 7 players in the summer.
They’ve had numerous seasons building

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on November 07, 2021, 03:21:08 pm by roversdude »
A new manager and a new board after every defeat with some of the ungrateful know it alls

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 07, 2021, 03:43:00 pm by Campsall rover »
That Poll can’t work in that wording, you are asking for Rovers fans to actually wish for a loss, and unless we have the most moronic of supporters, that just won’t happen!

Unfortunately we have an element of those cretinous morons

I know. Anyone who has a minority view is a cretinous moron naturally.  ;)

We've seen it with Covid. If you aren't in the Governments, SAGE's, Medias and NHS pockets then you are a cretinous moron apparently.

I'm voting for the cretinous moron party at the next election.

No point in voting in this poll anyway because the next game that matters is Lincoln at home which we will lose anyway so we don't have to wish for a loss. It is inevitable.
With that attitude not sure why you bother supporting Rovers.
If we are going to lose every game what’s the point.
What a shocking attitude. Supporters and supporters there are. 

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on November 07, 2021, 03:45:16 pm by sha66y »
I like the word “cretin” and also “ retard” ….but I love “ fcuktard”  above all others!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on November 07, 2021, 03:53:02 pm by Campsall rover »
I don't think anyone will care much if we lose the next match with it being the pizza cup
I care. Winning is a habit. Does not matter what the competition is.
SOD won the JPT in his first season and that was the spring board to promotion the following season.

It might be the Mickey Mouse Cup in the early stages, but if you get to the final it could be worth up to £500.000 to the club, dependant on the opposition and gate that brings.
If we played Wednesday, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bradford City or one or two others your looking at a big pay day.
Oh and the little matter of a trophy to put in the cabinet.

Tues night should imo be taken very seriously. 

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on November 07, 2021, 03:54:12 pm by roversdude »
I like the word “cretin” and also “ retard” ….but I love “ fcuktard”  above all others!
Great word

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on November 07, 2021, 03:56:51 pm by roversdude »
I care. Winning is a habit. Does not matter what the competition is.
SOD won the JPT in his first season and that was the spring board to promotion the following season.

It might be the Mickey Mouse Cup in the early stages, but if you get to the final it could be worth up to £500.000 to the club, dependant on the opposition and gate that brings.
If we played Wednesday, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bradford City or one or two others your looking at a big pay day.
Oh and the little matter of a trophy to put in the cabinet.

Tues night should imo be taken very seriously. 

As much as I don’t care for this format of the competition I too want us to win every game. Add to that it was a cracking weekend in Cardiff

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on November 07, 2021, 04:20:47 pm by DRFCSouth »
In many ways, I'd rather he stay at the very least till the end of the season.

In that way, we may still recover. And given how long the recruitment takes, do we really think being without a manager for 1-2 months would give us any traction in surviving? It would drop us further into the mire and instability that we can't afford.

It doesn't excuse the seasons performance so far and a better understanding is needed as to how we've gone from play off hopefuls to relegation fodder in the space of 12-18 months.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on November 07, 2021, 04:21:06 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Obviously this is factually incorrect.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on November 07, 2021, 05:12:24 pm by ravenrover »
I never complained about anything rr case of mistaken identity there I’m afraid
Not aimed at you see post 27

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on November 07, 2021, 05:56:31 pm by Rovers Return »

That’s absolute, first class, rubbish.

I just don’t understand why people fall for this claptrap.

The jury's out given our league position and the calibre of our squad, transfer deadline debacle etc. Lets see at the end of the season shall we if we strengthen in January and stay up.

In the championship we had Bramalls wealth with Watson and Ryan. In league one we had Bramall and Watson wealth. Now we only have Bramall. I regard you SM these days as a voice piece for the board and not the fans I'm afraid..

Voice piece for the board? Absolute tosh!! You obviously don’t know Martin. Never, Never, ever in 60 odd years has he been a voice piece for anyone. In fact Martin is very much quite the opposite!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on November 08, 2021, 09:39:55 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Blowing his pre season budget on poor signings

OR   

Blowing his poor pre season budget on what he can attract.

Coventry have the 3rd lowest budget in the championship. They sit 4th in the table. Whilst i concede we have small budget, it cant be lower than Accringtons, Cambridge, Morecambe etc.

Wellens is under acheiving.

Not all about budget though, the teams you mentioned weren’t building from a squad of 7 players in the summer.
They’ve had numerous seasons building

8 of Cambridge's starting XI against us were signed this season.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on November 08, 2021, 10:54:29 am by roversdude »
So does Richie having the backing of 97% of voters in this poll
IRWT

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 08, 2021, 12:03:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »
So does Richie having the backing of 97% of voters in this poll
IRWT

The above poll isn't really a great representation of that. No fan should want their team to lose even if they want the manager gone. If there was a poll whether Wellens should stay or go it won't be 97%.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on November 08, 2021, 12:05:16 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
That Poll can’t work in that wording, you are asking for Rovers fans to actually wish for a loss, and unless we have the most moronic of supporters, that just won’t happen!

Oh just f**k off. Jesus. Sanctimonious dullard.

Unfortunately we have an element of those cretinous morons

I know. Anyone who has a minority view is a cretinous moron naturally.  ;)

We've seen it with Covid. If you aren't in the Governments, SAGE's, Medias and NHS pockets then you are a cretinous moron apparently.

I'm voting for the cretinous moron party at the next election.

No point in voting in this poll anyway because the next game that matters is Lincoln at home which we will lose anyway so we don't have to wish for a loss. It is inevitable.
With that attitude not sure why you bother supporting Rovers.
If we are going to lose every game what’s the point.
What a shocking attitude. Supporters and supporters there are.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on November 08, 2021, 03:08:38 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We were told it was going to be a year of rebuilding, that’s what is happening so far. Some see Wellens as underachieving with his budget, we have overachieved for many years.

I don’t think you can write seasons off, every season should be striving for promotion whatever your budget. It isn’t all about the budget it’s about managers and player’s producing something special-a togetherness that wins you games.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 08, 2021, 03:31:26 pm by danumdon »
At this time what the club needs more than anything is some continuity, we have had what, for the last 4 or 5 years of managers coming in, going, selling the stock and leaving us in the shit.

The board decided on Wellens,they used their own methodology to secure him and will now want more than anything for him to build medium to long term a side that can compete at this level and with progression the level above.

That remit is not something that can start and stop every close season like it has for the last number of years. This is the plan, all the "very experienced observers of the game and the club on this forum" are going to have to suck it up and allow RW the time to complete the job.

He's going nowhere.

the dons

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 08, 2021, 03:38:23 pm by the dons »
Well it's time he did. :byebye:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on November 08, 2021, 05:02:08 pm by roversdude »
Why ? because we aren’t top of the league ? FFS give him chance, we’ve got 15 injured senior players at the moment a situation that has persisted throughout the season so far

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on November 08, 2021, 05:22:55 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Has anyone read his post match comments to Liam Hoden? At the end of the piece he said “we need people to manage their bodies better”! Is he actually digging the players out, again, for getting injured?
Well unless the players are honest about their injuries, they end up starting a game and then pulling up shortly afterwards.  Could he be referring to that instead of the negative slant you put on it?
could be? It was only a question. You call it negative I call it an observation. There just seems to be theme of deflecting attention from himself to others.

Given the number and frequency of non-contact injuries the players are going down with he may well be making a very valid point.  Though I doubt you'll be happy to agree.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on November 08, 2021, 05:25:15 pm by Upton Rover »
Why ? because we aren’t top of the league ? FFS give him chance, we’ve got 15 injured senior players at the moment a situation that has persisted throughout the season so far
15?
He should get 1 more chance
NO Chance

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on November 08, 2021, 06:20:39 pm by scawsby steve »
At this time what the club needs more than anything is some continuity, we have had what, for the last 4 or 5 years of managers coming in, going, selling the stock and leaving us in the shit.

The board decided on Wellens,they used their own methodology to secure him and will now want more than anything for him to build medium to long term a side that can compete at this level and with progression the level above.

That remit is not something that can start and stop every close season like it has for the last number of years. This is the plan, all the "very experienced observers of the game and the club on this forum" are going to have to suck it up and allow RW the time to complete the job.

He's going nowhere.

Nobody has to suck anything up. You just watch what happens to attendances if things don't drastically change.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012