Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 03:54:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Other Sports  (Read 1575 times)

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
Other Sports
« on December 05, 2021, 08:36:29 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Ok so what other sports are you lads and lasses into other than the Rovers and footy and do you go and watch any other sports teams? Also what are your pet sporting hates?

I love horse racing but i am a bit of a hypocrite because i don't agree with the way the horses are treated often and i go less and less these days, last went to Nottingham in October but i'd say it was my favourite other sport and i've been to many courses.

I mainly go to quieter meetings in midweek. I rarely go to weekend meetings as that is when you generally just get surrounded by pissed up d**kheads who are just there for the beer and it is too much hassle and too busy.

Southwell is nearest to me and i like going there for all weather flat. Not so much jumps but i have been for jumps before.

I also like watching Ice Hockey and i like Nottingham Panthers due to it being nearest to me and the Winnipeg Jets. Obviously i don't get to go and see the latter lol.

I don't mind some athletics

I have a deep hatred for Boxing and F1 in particular  :lol: followed by Darts, Snooker, Golf, Cycling and Rugby.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re: Other Sports
« Reply #1 on December 05, 2021, 09:22:06 pm by Ldr »
I run an Australian Rules club and am team manager for GB

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 05, 2021, 09:22:25 pm by phil old leake »
I like boxing and absolutely detest F1
Nothing worse than being in a race that is not competitive
It’s like watching a bike race when only 2 teams have two wheels

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 05, 2021, 09:23:14 pm by phil old leake »
I do like Australian rules.  Very entertaining

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 05, 2021, 09:25:40 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Didn't even know there would be a league for this in the UK Ldr? It must be one of the more minority sports, with due respect of course.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 05, 2021, 09:44:55 pm by DRCraig »
Rugby League- Oldham
Rugby Union - Worcester
Speedway - Kings Lynn
Watch American football and ice hockey sometimes. No particular team. Horse racing. And I played Golf in the past. Love my Sport !.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 05, 2021, 09:46:08 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Ah Speedway. Another sport i just don't get. No idea what is going on there  :lol:

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 05, 2021, 09:49:09 pm by DRCraig »
Ah Speedway. Another sport i just don't get. No idea what is going on there  :lol:
it is really exciting. Sad thing is so many teams have been lost.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 05, 2021, 09:50:56 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
it is really exciting. Sad thing is so many teams have been lost.

Is that through lack of money then and disinterest? Didn't they have a track at Sheffield?

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 05, 2021, 09:55:08 pm by DRCraig »
Number of reasons why. Sheffield are in the Premiership. A couple of my favourite riders are with them.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 05, 2021, 10:35:02 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Cricket. All formats. Roll on the inevitable pasting from the Ozzies.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 05, 2021, 10:48:41 pm by Draytonian III »
Cricket - still play, like watching test cricket and one day matches not that bothered about 20/20 stuff
Horse Racing - I’ve been to over 15 different courses mainly midweek, same reason as CDH.
Boxing - My interest in this has wained slightly as I won’t pay £30 to stop up all night for a fight starting at 4am
Formula 1- Used to watch it until it went to ITV years ago and they kept having adverts all the time.
 American Football and Basketball - If they played it my back garden I’d draw the curtains.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 06, 2021, 07:46:30 am by River Don »
I used to play a bit of tennis and my sister was very good at it. It took her to college in America. I don't follow it closely these days but I do enjoy watching the summer season.

I used to watch Motorsport in the good old days, F1 and Group B rally. I don't follow it so much now but I still keep an eye on the F1 results.

In more recent years I've started cycling more, which has lead to me watching a bit of that.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 06, 2021, 08:04:45 am by Filo »
Golf

Cricket ODI and T20, and Tests when it comes to the ashes

F1

Motogp

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 06, 2021, 10:02:14 am by normal rules »
It’s a niche event but I’ve gotten quite into powerlifting. Squat, bench and deadlift. Mainly because my eldest son does it.
It’s not an Olympic sport for some reason, I think Because there are too many governing bodies.
Quite exciting to watch. Especially live.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 06, 2021, 10:21:42 am by tommy toes »
I'm with you CDH.
Been a big racing fan all my life.
Much prefer the flat nowadays.
The problem with jump racing is that more and more flat bred horses are being sent over the jumps, resulting in more injuries and worse.
I too go to quiet midweek meetings. Ponte Beverley Donny Southwell York etc
Looking forward to the new track at Southwell.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 06, 2021, 10:37:07 am by Ldr »

Didn't even know there would be a league for this in the UK Ldr? It must be one of the more minority sports, with due respect of course.

There is a few leagues, we play in the Scottish league as it’s more convenient

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 06, 2021, 01:09:51 pm by Pancho Regan »

Blimey Ldr that's impressive - credit due!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 06, 2021, 01:30:50 pm by Colin C No.3 »
What level of coaching ‘badge’ or certification is needed to manage at that level (Great  Britain) Ldr?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 06, 2021, 02:02:22 pm by Ldr »
AFL level 2 Colin, I’m not the head coach though, team manger role is more akin to general manager. Logistics, travel, registrations and organisation and the suchlike. I oversee the mens (bulldogs) and ladies (swans) teams. The bulldogs are current European Champions.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 06, 2021, 04:01:33 pm by Prez »
Football, Golf, skiing cricket, horse racing. I too cannot stand F1 bores me to death.

Hobbies include Poker and Chess. Alot of people find chess boring but its a great game. Not bad at it too.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 06, 2021, 04:43:11 pm by River Don »
Not a lot of love for F1.

I came to it from my Dad, who was an engineer and always loved Motorsport. It was as much out of an interest in the oily bits as the competition. Back in the 80s a lot was going on in motorsports, new technologies being introduced, it was a fascinating time. Perhaps it would be fair to say it's as much as a hobby as a sport.

And the sport itself has an element of danger like no other. It was much more so back then. There's something compelling about that dicing with death.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 06, 2021, 08:48:48 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Football, Golf, skiing cricket, horse racing. I too cannot stand F1 bores me to death.

Hobbies include Poker and Chess. Alot of people find chess boring but its a great game. Not bad at it too.

I too like playing Chess. Wouldn't want to watch someone else play it though. It wouldn't catch on as a spectator sport  :lol:. Great game to play though.

I only learnt it because of a lad at school. Remember those games days we used to have on the last day of term as kids when we could bring in board games to play? Well this lad in our class brought in a chess board and tbh he was a bit of loner too. I noticed that nobody would play with him and he was sat there all morning on his own so i went over and asked him if he would teach me to play Chess and this is how i learned to play.

Can't be doing with card games though. Other than Dobble lol.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 06, 2021, 09:14:55 pm by ravenrover »
Grandaughter and I spent the journey from London to Newark playing just one game of Dobble. She usually thrashes me, she's 6  :-)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 06, 2021, 09:23:14 pm by wilts rover »
I will watch most sports live (providing its a decent level). Dont watch that much on tv as I dont watch much tv.

I do enjoy my cycling tho, people may remember I was one of the group who cycled to Brentford, for that match, in support of Bluebell Hospice. I am still out every evening (unless its really stupid weather) and at weekends. Mostly road bike these days altho I do get the mountain bike out occasionaly.

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 06, 2021, 09:30:23 pm by phllvslc »
Like a lot of replies on this thread, I watch American football, ice hockey, basketball, baseball and Aussie Rules.

A couple that haven't been mentioned that I also really like are hurling and Gaelic Football.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 06, 2021, 09:44:34 pm by scawsby steve »
Muff diving.

It's many, many years since I last did it, mind.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 06, 2021, 09:47:29 pm by Superspy »
Not a lot of love for F1.

I came to it from my Dad, who was an engineer and always loved Motorsport. It was as much out of an interest in the oily bits as the competition. Back in the 80s a lot was going on in motorsports, new technologies being introduced, it was a fascinating time. Perhaps it would be fair to say it's as much as a hobby as a sport.

And the sport itself has an element of danger like no other. It was much more so back then. There's something compelling about that dicing with death.

Watching the onboard views of yesterday's Grand Prix was bloody terrifying, and I'm a guy who likes to drive fast. Surprised most of them can get their nuts in the cockpit.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 07, 2021, 09:43:29 am by Spud »
Snooker & pool, play a bit of pool myself, I'm not bad some days but, I guess like golf, other days it infuriates me. Mrs plays at County level so keeps me on my toes, can't have her beating me lol.

Love to watch cricket & Rugby Union internationals, even though I've never played either other than being forced to play rugby at Thorne Grammar.
Don't actually watch much footy on TV, do miss playing five aside though, hard to get enough lads together who can all make the same time these days.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 07, 2021, 09:50:53 am by Filo »
Snooker & pool, play a bit of pool myself, I'm not bad some days but, I guess like golf, other days it infuriates me. Mrs plays at County level so keeps me on my toes, can't have her beating me lol.

Love to watch cricket & Rugby Union internationals, even though I've never played either other than being forced to play rugby at Thorne Grammar.
Don't actually watch much footy on TV, do miss playing five aside though, hard to get enough lads together who can all make the same time these days.

Back in the 80’s I played snooker and pool as well, 66 was my highest snooker break made in Armthorpe Social, in the league, pockets were like mineshafts easy potting table, on the flip side I once broke off at the power station club and the guy I was playing cleared up

TinyPortal © 2005-2012