Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 07:44:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Much better  (Read 5351 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Much better
« Reply #30 on December 07, 2021, 10:44:52 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Bit harsh on Horton he was two on one repeatedly and is clearly much better going forward than back. He is improving though just needs to work on one Vs one defending.

We were better second half, first half very poor.  I thought mcsheffrey got his subs spot on actually and he changed the shape a bit at times.  The positive is I think some of the young lads will learn from it.  Hasani intrigues me.  He made two massive mistakes, but he still tried to play and actually grew in to it at times. When it opened up more he played some good passes forwards, out of position too.  He's not had a lot of games at any level after the covid farce.

There is potential in some.of the younger players and I'm hoping the manager is helping them learn from these errors.  I actually have been massively impressed with Jones the last two games aswell.

Worth adding (some may not like this) as limited as he can be, Bogle did affect the game when he came on I thought. That he hasn't been used even as a sub is criminal.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 07, 2021, 10:45:22 pm by Campsall rover »
Gaz,
You’ve got to take into account the two lineups, there’s no way you thought looking at those lineups that we would outplay them or we’d create more chances than them.
With that lineup I thought it was a great performance, especially in the second half.

Oxford as good as anyone in the league,
Play like that against Shrewsbury and we win
Only if we take our chances as we only had 3 good ones in the match. The others were very much half chances.
We can’t keep relying on our left back to score our goals. When are our strikers going to hit the back of the net? They simply have to start firing. 
But yes overall a better performance with a bit of passion in the play.
Curkur is out of his depth and how he starts tonight baffles me. Dodoo is not great but he is 5 times the player Curkur is. The lad is not ready for League 1 football.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 07, 2021, 10:48:17 pm by CJK »
After the first half I thought we'd no way back this season. After the second half I feel a bit more positive. Obviously having better players in the front three in the second half helped that. Although they could easily have been out of sight, they weren't, and we almost did enough to deserve a draw from that. When you can bring James Henry off the bench in L1 you can see how far off we are.

If we can take that second half performance into Saturday, I think we've got a chance.

Just a mention for Matt Taylor, never seen the same player offside so many times in one game. Also, he's an absolute shithouse.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 08, 2021, 12:19:55 am by Bessie Red »
Hasani and Horton got skinned everything the wade men went at them. The are both very poor. Cukur just non existent. I though Smith did ok and worked hard.
Lirak isn't a full back or wing back, he needs to play in the middle for us to see the best of him!

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 08, 2021, 02:56:08 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Hasani and Horton got skinned everything the wade men went at them. The are both very poor. Cukur just non existent. I though Smith did ok and worked hard.

Smith MOM for me. Best game he's had for us.
Smith is getting better every game he plays imo, doesn’t do anything spectacular but always gives 100% and doesn’t stop running, u need someone like that in midfield. I thought Anderson was MOTM tho, blocked and headed everything that came his way and again he is another one getting better every game, ever since Williams has been injured he has been very good.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 08, 2021, 05:59:30 am by Donnywolf »
Thread title says it all for me

Poor 1st half - much better 2nd half just wish we had hung on

Need good Manager fast but even then they would have to get a lot from a little

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 08, 2021, 06:25:08 am by Arsenal Of The North »
First half the system was killing us, was great to see after 20 minutes the gaffer knew it had to change instead of just leaving it to hammer us! I thought knoyle did more in 45 minutes at CB tonight than he has done all season at RB, aggression ran through out the team. Desire especially in the 2nd half to win the ball back up the pitch, special mentions to rowe and smith who I thought lead by example, and finally Anderson turned in a performance as we expect.

Still a long way to go, but when we have 5/6 lads who are experiencing the league for the first time, coming up against a good Oxford experienced team, we are still going to struggle.

Much better tonight, hopefully we can kick on now and with more players coming back from injuries, maybe, just maybe we can put something together to get our selfs out of this mess

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 08, 2021, 07:54:26 am by vaya »
I agree. A bit of heart and effort goes a long way in this league. That said, there is a clear lack of quality in key areas. Just to add, what a useless streak of p**s that referee was.

Shout out to his Assistant in front of the West Stand, who seemed to take a pot luck approach to throw-ins, and manage not to award a corner in the second half when the Oxford keeper literally carried the ball over the line in front of him.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 08, 2021, 08:21:20 am by GazLaz »
Lirak isn't a full back or wing back, he needs to play in the middle for us to see the best of him!

He can’t run and his touch is dreadful. It doesn’t matter where you play they are basics. Nearly cost us a goal giving it away needlessly in a central position as well.

Jones nearly through one into his own net at one point as well. They are doing their best covering for senior men that are injured but the sooner we have the chance to replace the young lads in the team the sooner we can start to improve.

The sooner the academy gets put in the bin the better.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 08, 2021, 08:38:58 am by DonnyOsmond »
F*cking hell. You're being harsh with Jones there, all keepers drop balls occasionally, you just hope they recover. Look at Dahlberg at Accrington.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 08, 2021, 08:41:24 am by GazLaz »
F*cking hell. You're being harsh with Jones there, all keepers drop balls occasionally, you just hope they recover. Look at Dahlberg at Accrington.

It was straight at him and somehow (not seen the replay) nearly went in! Then he decided to catch the ball outside the area!! The save from the one on one after Hasani’s error was decent though so credit where it’s due there.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 08, 2021, 08:50:44 am by donnievic »

It was straight at him and somehow (not seen the replay) nearly went in! Then he decided to catch the ball outside the area!! The save from the one on one after Hasani’s error was decent though so credit where it’s due there.
it didn’t nearly go in,yes he dropped it and went down between his legs but it’s it,as for the handball he didn’t catch it outside the area either his momentum took him out.He did wot he thought best and catch it and try and stay in his area rather than hand it or punch it out for a throw in where no doubt others woukd moan saying he should catch it

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 08, 2021, 08:51:40 am by Cramby10 »
I think you’re being unnecessarily harsh. I for one feel sorry for these young lads right now, being thrust into this shit show. All they’ve known in first team football is misery and defeat. I defy any young ones making their way to consistently thrive in those conditions.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 08, 2021, 08:53:58 am by Goole Rover »
But, yet still lost. We are a laughing stock of South Yorkshire and beyond.
I don’t give a damn about what anyone else thinks..

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 08, 2021, 08:58:51 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
With regard to the youngsters, they are doing as best as they can. Personally, I think Horton is one of the positives of the season.

They should have been able to make these kind of mistakes at a lower level on loan but hasn't be able to for one reason or another.

But we need to take off our rose tinted glasses, just because they are "Made in Donny" shouldn't allow them to make errors/never be called out for playing badly.

If Cukur was born in Donny and played this way I guarantee he wouldn't get the abuse he does.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 08, 2021, 09:12:18 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Much better performance. Second half especially. I saw some passion and heart out there, just sadly lacked quality. However, play like that I do think we will beat a few teams.

Quite astonished to see this post tbh and i have to disagree. Although i agree about the lack of quality.

If we play like that then we have little chance of beating a few teams, let alone Shrewsbury on Saturday. We barely created anything other than a few dire Hiwula shots. Their keeper didn't have save to make. Oxford could have scored double figures.

If we are happy with that second half performance as a yardstick then we are done for.

As for the first half. That wasn't even football. We didn't do anything other than have a corner!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 08, 2021, 09:14:50 am by DonnyOsmond »

Confirmation bias.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 08, 2021, 09:47:58 am by pib »
Going on what I've seen of Hasani, I don't think he'll make it unfortunately. I know he was out of position last night but looked miles off it.

Horton does get caught out far too much defensively, but I think he's got a bit more to work with. He's got a bit of pace and athleticism about him, and isn't too bad going forward. Reminds me a bit of James Husband when he first broke through, albeit probably not as good. Maybe if the setup was right for him he could develop into an OK player, unfortunately it's sink or swim in this team and all our defenders are being exposed at the minute.

Jones I'm on the fence with. What I will say is Dahlberg makes too many critical errors for me and don't think Jones has done any worse at all this season.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 08, 2021, 09:51:37 am by GazLaz »
Going on what I've seen of Hasani, I don't think he'll make it unfortunately. I know he was out of position last night but looked miles off it.

Horton does get caught out far too much defensively, but I think he's got a bit more to work with. He's got a bit of pace and athleticism about him, and isn't too bad going forward. Reminds me a bit of James Husband when he first broke through, albeit probably not as good. Maybe if the setup was right for him he could develop into an OK player, unfortunately it's sink or swim in this team and all our defenders are being exposed at the minute.

Jones I'm on the fence with. What I will say is Dahlberg makes too many critical errors for me and don't think Jones has done any worse at all this season.

The main thing Horton has going for him that gives him a slight chance of making it is his athleticism. It’s a starting point.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 08, 2021, 09:53:54 am by Campsall rover »
Just a word on Smith. He has played very well and  worked his socks off in the last 2 games.
Well done to him and it’s a pity we can’t get that kind of work rate out of a 2 or 3 of the others.
Is Hiwyla not fit and if so why is he playing 90 mins almost every game.
If he is 100% fit then what’s up with him. He just does not use his ability and his pace.
As for Curkur he simply is out of his depth at this level of football.
Can’t jump for the ball without fouling, can’t hold the ball up, comes off second best in most physical challenges, struggles to pass the ball and has little awareness as to where and when to make his runs.
Apart from that he is a top player.  For crying out loud GM leave him out of the team please for his own sake as well as the teams.
Prefer Bogle and he has a lot to do before he gets my respect but he has to be a better option than Curkur.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on December 08, 2021, 09:57:23 am by Bessie Red »

Exactly, "from what I've seen" you don't see him everyday in training. The coaches will see him everyday and they will know better than any one on this forum how he is progressing. I know Lirak personally & I can tell you that his attitude and desire to make it as a professional will give him a good chance of making a career for himself in football. He knows himself that he isnt ready yet for regular first team football but due to circumstances he is having to fill in & play in a role that is not his natural position. I don't think we should be writing off young inexperienced players at this point.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on December 08, 2021, 09:59:37 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Agree about Smith. Limited ability and a bit headless chicken but he does put in a hell of a shift and i can't fault him for that. Very committed and maybe would benefit from a steady player alongside in the middle instead of other small, headless chicken type players.

Work rate with Smith though is first class.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on December 08, 2021, 10:06:49 am by Campsall rover »
Agree about Smith. Limited ability and a bit headless chicken but he does put in a hell of a shift and i can't fault him for that. Very committed and maybe would benefit from a steady player alongside in the middle instead of other small, headless chicken type players.

Work rate with Smith though is first class.
Who are the other small headless chicken midfield players CDH?  Galbraith, Close, Rowe.

Barlow I would not describe as a midfielder and Bostock is not small. So Hasani, Ravenhill do you mean them  if so they are still kids really.

Yes we do need a proper mister in midfield but The 3 at the top of my post cannot be described as headless chickens imo.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on December 08, 2021, 10:19:53 am by Colin C No.3 »
Much better performance. Second half especially. I saw some passion and heart out there, just sadly lacked quality. However, play like that I do think we will beat a few teams.

Quite astonished to see this post tbh and i have to disagree. Although i agree about the lack of quality.

If we play like that then we have little chance of beating a few teams, let alone Shrewsbury on Saturday. We barely created anything other than a few dire Hiwula shots. Their keeper didn't have save to make. Oxford could have scored double figures.

If we are happy with that second half performance as a yardstick then we are done for.

As for the first half. That wasn't even football. We didn't do anything other than have a corner!
I agree with the OP (see my earlier post), you must have been watching a different game to me.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 08, 2021, 10:45:10 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »

I agree with the OP (see my earlier post), you must have been watching a different game to me.

Doncaster v Oxford at the Keepmoat, 7.45pm Tuesday 7th Dec?

Yep, same game.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 08, 2021, 10:54:02 am by karldew »

it didn’t nearly go in,yes he dropped it and went down between his legs but it’s it,as for the handball he didn’t catch it outside the area either his momentum took him out.He did wot he thought best and catch it and try and stay in his area rather than hand it or punch it out for a throw in where no doubt others woukd moan saying he should catch it

Im sure the ball went through his legs and the base of the post stopped it from going in?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on December 08, 2021, 11:07:28 am by pib »

Exactly, "from what I've seen" you don't see him everyday in training. The coaches will see him everyday and they will know better than any one on this forum how he is progressing. I know Lirak personally & I can tell you that his attitude and desire to make it as a professional will give him a good chance of making a career for himself in football. He knows himself that he isnt ready yet for regular first team football but due to circumstances he is having to fill in & play in a role that is not his natural position. I don't think we should be writing off young inexperienced players at this point.

Yep, I can only comment on what I've seen, which is why I put that caveat in there. And I'm not writing anyone off, I'd love to be proven wrong.

I don't doubt his attitude and desire, but you need more than just that to make it.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on December 08, 2021, 12:04:32 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Yep, same game.
And yet on selby’s thread regarding the upcoming Shrewsbury game you totally contradict yourself by saying ‘if we play like we did 2nd half last night we might get a result’ or words to that effect.

Schizophrenia?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on December 08, 2021, 12:06:49 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Yep, same game.
And yet on selby’s thread regarding the upcoming Shrewsbury game you totally contradict yourself by saying ‘if we play like we did 2nd half last night we might get a result’ or words to that effect.

Schizophrenia?

Perhaps?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on December 08, 2021, 12:08:39 pm by RugbyRover »
clutching at straws aren't we.

A massive gulf between the two teams. Quite depressing really  :(

TinyPortal © 2005-2012