Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:51:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FFS Announce the new manager  (Read 13332 times)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re: FFS Announce the new manager
« Reply #150 on December 28, 2021, 11:39:45 pm by grayx »
Heard rumours that it will be Gary McSheffery getting the job, if so it will be a disappointing appointment imo

COYR
Im wondering whether hes been offered the job & rightly having second thoughts. Hes done a great job with the u18’s & lets be honest theres serious investment needed to rebuild our squad. If i was him i’d stay as he is with the u18’s & wait for a better opportunity to come along.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on December 28, 2021, 11:41:36 pm by RoversAlias »
It’s unbelievable that a third tier footy club faffs around like they do with appointments, like they are some global, blue chip, white collar, multi billion pound company.

Let's drag in the nearest passer-by and give him the job. That'd be quick and you never know, we might just strike lucky.

Or we could just continue  with the cronyism by giving another person connected to the club the job.

That isn't cronyism, at all. We also haven't appointed a permanent manager from within the club since Dave Penney got the job almost 20 years ago.

I was referring to Wellens, an ex player with reasonakdy fresh links to the club and board.
Butler to an extent. When Moore left we should have recruited a manager then. Not someone with previous club links.
And what could be GM.
Once I can accept.
Twice is more than coincidence.
If GM is appointed that seals it.
Familiarity breeds contempt.
Just my opinion.

That's still not cronyism though, is it? It does suggest a tendency to hire people familiar with the club for whatever reason, but still. Many, many clubs do it. Arsenal and Manchester United are two examples in the top flight who have done it recently, Barcelona do it all the time too.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:31:10 am by RoversAlias »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on December 29, 2021, 12:03:23 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Liverpool didn't do too badly.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on December 29, 2021, 12:47:21 am by Chris Black come back »
There’s also a difference between someone already within the club, who has both bought into the ethos and is a known quantity, and an ex player who hasn’t stepped foot on the training ground since the day they left. Former is logic, latter is emotion.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on December 29, 2021, 03:00:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s shown a level of incompetence previously unknown since this manager episode has started. I have no problem with making sure you get the right man, I just thought they might have been a bit worried about being second bottom and giving the new manager time to get on with it.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on December 29, 2021, 08:31:58 am by colincramb »
Think I’ve said somewhere previously, I will support GM if he gets the job today/tomorrow/next month but I genuinely worry this has an Andy butler escapade written all over it and we will be looking for yet another manager in the not too distant future.

Funny though, those originally scoffing at the proposed ‘dinosaurs’ being linked with the job in the early days of this process are the same ones now stating GM is a cheap option and lacks experience. They literally can’t win.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on December 29, 2021, 08:53:46 am by DonnyOsmond »
Think I’ve said somewhere previously, I will support GM if he gets the job today/tomorrow/next month but I genuinely worry this has an Andy butler escapade written all over it and we will be looking for yet another manager in the not too distant future.

Funny though, those originally scoffing at the proposed ‘dinosaurs’ being linked with the job in the early days of this process are the same ones now stating GM is a cheap option and lacks experience. They literally can’t win.

I don't think that's the case at all. The people on about cheap option and saying GM isn't good enough all wanted a big name or Flynn, even if the big name has done F all for 10 years.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on December 29, 2021, 09:07:34 am by River Don »

Might be another Andy Butler, though given what we've seen with the dress rehearsal, I don't think so... Or he might be a Dave Penney.

Everyone needs to start somewhere.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #158 on December 29, 2021, 09:22:22 am by silent majority »

I don't think that's the case at all. The people on about cheap option and saying GM isn't good enough all wanted a big name or Flynn, even if the big name has done F all for 10 years.

Its not a cheap option if you're putting a full support structure in place.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on December 29, 2021, 09:29:53 am by TheFunk »
The difference between McSheffrey is that he's run the U23s and now the U18s. He's previously coached professional footballers. Andy Butler was coaching amateurs at a very low level. Also he hasn't just been their teammate.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on December 29, 2021, 09:31:15 am by silent majority »
Announcement due

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on December 29, 2021, 09:31:54 am by mushRTID »
McSheffrey Announced.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on December 29, 2021, 09:37:09 am by normal rules »
I’d love to know who the “ex prem “ candidates were. And why they were not chosen .

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on December 29, 2021, 09:38:47 am by vaya »
I’d love to know who the “ex prem “ candidates were. And why they were not chosen .

'Ex Prem' or 'Premiership experience'?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on December 29, 2021, 09:40:59 am by Filo »
Well GM was in the recruitment meeting, so I assume he has approved all targets in the transfer window, I expect we have set the wheels in motion to get them in quickly

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on December 29, 2021, 09:41:50 am by DRFCSouth »
He came out on top of 100+ applicants. What a joke. Cheap appointment, completely predictable and underwhelming as usual. Why waste 3 weeks or so supposedly going through a process.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on December 29, 2021, 09:42:10 am by roversdude »

'Ex Prem' or 'Premiership experience'?

Never mentioned management experience in prem

Good appointment in my opinion especially with the support staff incoming

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on December 29, 2021, 09:43:14 am by DonnyOsmond »

The announcement says GM demonstrated a better understanding of what was required to push the team on at this moment in time. The other managers probably hadn't done their homework.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on December 29, 2021, 09:46:04 am by normal rules »
On 15th dec it was reported that two ex premier league managers were in a 5 man shortlist for the job. ( Yorkshire post)

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on December 29, 2021, 09:48:42 am by vaya »
On 15th dec it was reported that two ex premier league managers were in a 5 man shortlist for the job. ( Yorkshire post)

'Reported'

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on December 29, 2021, 09:56:22 am by IDM »
Moore was an ex PL manager.. was doing ok and got poached.  Do we want that again?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on December 29, 2021, 10:24:51 am by silent majority »

Not the club then?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on December 29, 2021, 10:25:30 am by drfchound »

TBH Martin, how can anyone know whether GM is a cheap option or not when they haven’t a clue how much he is being paid.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on December 29, 2021, 12:24:02 pm by silent majority »

TBH Martin, how can anyone know whether GM is a cheap option or not when they haven’t a clue how much he is being paid.

Maybe listen to GM's interview?

He says exactly what I've been saying for weeks.

Nobody questioned RW's salary, nor DM's or any of the previous managers so I fail to see why they should question GM. Is it just because a section of our fan base think its great to level criticism based on no information at all?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #175 on December 29, 2021, 12:49:38 pm by ravenrover »
Martin do you really need to ask that question, when we all know the answer
Obviously!!!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on December 29, 2021, 04:01:30 pm by drfchound »

Maybe listen to GM's interview?

He says exactly what I've been saying for weeks.

Nobody questioned RW's salary, nor DM's or any of the previous managers so I fail to see why they should question GM. Is it just because a section of our fan base think its great to level criticism based on no information at all?

Exactly. Whine and moan for the sake of it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012