Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 01:20:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mentor  (Read 7174 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Mentor
« on December 29, 2021, 10:54:19 am by mushRTID »
If I was to guess it would be a former manager of GM’s.

Any ideas?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pside

• Forum Member
Re: Mentor
« Reply #1 on December 29, 2021, 11:03:53 am by Pside »
It will be what the budget dictates

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 29, 2021, 11:11:25 am by EasyforDennis »

I hope we are not going to roll out Mickey Walker again lol

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 29, 2021, 11:16:54 am by Campsall rover »
Would not expect you to say anything different.

Of course there will be a budget.  How much do you think we should spend than. Come on let’s have some figures.
What salary do we pay our manager. How much is a mentor or whatever his title will be worth?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 29, 2021, 11:58:56 am by RoversAlias »
He doesn't need a mentor, he isn't a child struggling to get good grades.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 29, 2021, 12:02:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I heard the name Lee Carsley banded about but not sure how GM would define this as a mentor or assistant or both.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 29, 2021, 12:02:08 pm by Campsall rover »
No but that’s the word being used. Agree it is not really the right one Alias.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 29, 2021, 12:09:41 pm by Donnybax »
I heard the name Lee Carsley banded about but not sure how GM would define this as a mentor or assistant or both.
I’m sure he would love to give up being England U21s manager to become the “mentor” of a side 23rd in league 1

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 29, 2021, 12:10:26 pm by IDM »
All managers will have a mentor to some degree, who they can call on for advice, even if not a formal club employee.

DF didn’t have a bad one did he?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 29, 2021, 12:12:22 pm by Janso »

That tends to be how recruitment works, yes.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 29, 2021, 12:43:05 pm by mushRTID »

The statement says “Gary has identified a senior mentor”

Not sure it’s for anyone on here to say if he needs one or not, especially if he has said it himself.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 29, 2021, 12:54:41 pm by Jonathan »

Not sure it’s for anyone on here to say if he needs one or not, especially if he has said it himself.

Agreed. And the above shows a quite astonishing lack of understanding and / or disrespect and disregard for what a a mentor can offer.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 29, 2021, 02:07:50 pm by PDX_Rover »

Agreed. And the above shows a quite astonishing lack of understanding and / or disrespect and disregard for what a a mentor can offer.

Exactly. We need an Obi-Wan. We already have Yoda in JC26.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 29, 2021, 02:25:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I hope we are not going to roll out Mickey Walker again lol

That WOULD be taking the Mickey.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 29, 2021, 03:32:56 pm by Padge_DRFC »
What's the operations manager at the Dome up to?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 29, 2021, 04:11:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This is a role whatever it's called where we are unlikely to see or hear from. It sounds like it will be very much a background role in supporting GM and the rest of the footballing hierarchy at the club.

Clearly from what GM says, it's his choice and someone who he trusts implicitly to get advice and be pointed in the right direction including helping to open doors that otherwise would remain shut.

This makes me think it's more likely to be a consultancy role and therefore a part time role, as and when called upon.

Whenever GM and the club decide the working relationship, they may choose not to announce it, who knows.

Anyway, for those who think the likes of Mick Mc or Steve Mc for example, won't be coming to Donny might be right, they should also think outside the box.

Not saying it is either of the above as I'm not aware of any connection to GM but whoever it may be, he's someone GM must hold in high regard and can add value to our operation.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 04:15:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 29, 2021, 04:17:32 pm by POD »
So that’s a Manager, a Mentor, assistant manager, player recruitment officer, first team coach, goalkeeping coach, academy manager/coach, fitness coach, set piece coach…. Have I missed anybody?   We might even get to a starting eleven! 

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 29, 2021, 04:22:55 pm by MachoMadness »
Not sure about this. This is just an old head above the manager - not the DoF role that was mooted. If GM departs presumably this fella will too and we're back on the merry go round again. So much for learning our lessons.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 29, 2021, 04:25:30 pm by Filo »
I think a lot of the pond life on t**tter need to be mentored on how to behave and be civil, disgusting personal abuse being dished out there

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 29, 2021, 04:30:54 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Not sure about this. This is just an old head above the manager - not the DoF role that was mooted. If GM departs presumably this fella will too and we're back on the merry go round again. So much for learning our lessons.

100%

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 29, 2021, 05:20:26 pm by CantleyRed »
So that’s a Manager, a Mentor, assistant manager, player recruitment officer, first team coach, goalkeeping coach, academy manager/coach, fitness coach, set piece coach…. Have I missed anybody?   We might even get to a starting eleven! 
Don't forget the Mental Performance Coach. Definitely a key role that has been vital this year.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 29, 2021, 05:26:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I get that concern. Perhaps it's thought this person can bring some additional qualities to our existing recruitment team in the short term, as well as assisting GM Maybe the feel they don't need to full blown DoF longer term but maybe a consultant Technical director or something.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 29, 2021, 05:36:24 pm by Campsall rover »
Don't forget the Mental Performance Coach. Definitely a key role that has been vital this year.
Is that for the Rovers players or the pond life on Twitter.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 29, 2021, 05:38:28 pm by MachoMadness »
There has definitely been a few mental performances from us this season.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 29, 2021, 05:40:20 pm by 5minstogo »

Maybe don't use Twitter if you are so offended.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 29, 2021, 05:47:29 pm by MachoMadness »
Just seen SM on the other thread has confirmed this will be the DoF role but will have a different name. Not sure why that is but it's more reassuring than some vague "mentor" role, fair play.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 29, 2021, 06:05:10 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I know some will say 'what's in a name' but it troubles me that we would call it a Mentor.  Mentors are to support people learning a role, if GM really is the best option - and I don't have a problem with the decision that he is that - then if he's good enough to handle the situation the club is in he shouldn't be needing a mentor.

As for the DOF role, there's been plenty of debate on here in the last couple of weeks since it was mentioned by the club and given the continuity and identity concerns  it makes perfect sense that we have some true football expertise at the heart of club management decision-making.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 29, 2021, 06:05:59 pm by BVB »

Maybe don't use Twitter if you are so offended.
Works both ways 5mins: maybe the pond life shouldn’t be allowed on Twitter as they are so offensive.

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 29, 2021, 06:10:59 pm by Pside »
From DROS.

Gary and the board have already met to look at recruitment of players with another meeting planned for Friday to hopefully sign off on intended targets.

“His next meeting is then with myself and Kirsty Cavanagh as we look to secure his support staff.

Anyone slightly concerned by the last bit?
Are we in for another 4 week dick dance?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 29, 2021, 06:14:18 pm by IDM »
I take it you didn’t listen to his RS interview?  Sounds like some of the appointments are due in a matter of days..

Dick dance.?  Grow up

TinyPortal © 2005-2012