Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 02:05:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mentor  (Read 7188 times)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Mentor
« Reply #60 on December 30, 2021, 10:18:42 pm by Dagenham Rover »
The government pay millions for advisors :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 30, 2021, 10:19:45 pm by drfchound »
Yep, agreed, but around half of the public think they are running the show.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on December 30, 2021, 11:49:34 pm by jamesrover17 »
I think, and Hoden alluded to this a little bit on his stream earlier, that Baldwin and Blunt should probably reign in what they say in the run up to these decisions, mentioning the amount of applicants and the calibre was only going to turn sour when fans didn’t get the ‘household name’ that was mentioned.

The same now that it turns out the DoF isn’t probably going to be what we thought it was.

I think the same was advised of Moore when he said we were replacing Marquis with a similar calibre of player that never came to fruition, sometimes saying less is more

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on December 31, 2021, 09:13:03 am by DonnyOsmond »
It is the kind of thing that pisses fans off with the club. The board are great at increasing funds to DRFC/CD which we 100% need but they struggle a bit more when it comes to the football operations side of things. So when a role like DoF was spoke about it got quite a few people excited as it would hopefully mean a clear vision, continuity when managers leave and a more forward thinking approach, that's as long as it wasn't just going to be a job given to an older mentor for advice like we did with Walker or Flynn. However, now this position has turned into just a mate of McSheffreys that he can ring up and ask advice off, which every manager in the world will have anyway, it's a bullshit non role. This is the kind of thing that just leaves you exhausted and expecting no light at the end of the tunnel.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on December 31, 2021, 09:24:55 am by silent majority »
It is the kind of thing that pisses fans off with the club. The board are great at increasing funds to DRFC/CD which we 100% need but they struggle a bit more when it comes to the football operations side of things. So when a role like DoF was spoke about it got quite a few people excited as it would hopefully mean a clear vision, continuity when managers leave and a more forward thinking approach, that's as long as it wasn't just going to be a job given to an older mentor for advice like we did with Walker or Flynn. However, now this position has turned into just a mate of McSheffreys that he can ring up and ask advice off, which every manager in the world will have anyway, it's a bullshit non role. This is the kind of thing that just leaves you exhausted and expecting no light at the end of the tunnel.

How do you know that this is just how you describe it?

I can assure its more than just a 'bullshit non role'.

Why don't you wait and see before casting judgement?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on December 31, 2021, 09:43:31 am by DonnyOsmond »

I'm going based on what's said by Liam Hoden, it's a role of a well respected and experienced coaching figure who will provide advice to the manager and occasionally the board but will not be contracted to the club.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on December 31, 2021, 10:15:49 am by silent majority »

I'm going based on what's said by Liam Hoden, it's a role of a well respected and experienced coaching figure who will provide advice to the manager and occasionally the board but will not be contracted to the club.

The club, at the time that RW was leaving, suggested that they would be looking at putting a different support structure in place depending on the type of applicant and what that applicant felt they might need. The DoF was mentioned as one of the options, but nobody said that the ultimate objective was to have somebody contracted to the club carrying out that position.

You, and others on here, filled in all the blanks and as you say 'got excited'.

Now you've got more detail from Liam you've decided that a well respected and experienced coaching figure who's providing advice to the manager and the board you've decided its a 'bullshit non role' and are criticising the club for it.

Can you not see who is the one at fault here?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on December 31, 2021, 10:51:52 am by DonnyOsmond »
Yes, I do apologise for getting excited when the club said they were considering bringing in a role like a DoF that they might actually bring in something like a DoF... A role we desperately need.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on December 31, 2021, 10:54:59 am by silent majority »
Yes, I do apologise for getting excited when the club said they were considering bringing in a role like a DoF that they might actually bring in something like a DoF... A role we desperately need.

I can assure you it will be more formal than the way you describe it.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on December 31, 2021, 11:02:48 am by DonnyOsmond »

But that's the thing. I'm just a normal pleb, I just get info from DFP website or bits you mention on here (which I do appreciate), so I can only go based on that, you may know more yourself but I only can go from what I've read below.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/gary-mcsheffrey-discusses-the-mentor-figure-who-will-advise-him-in-his-role-as-doncaster-rovers-manager-3510943

I guess us plebs will hear more in a few days when this role is officially announced.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on December 31, 2021, 11:15:48 am by steve@dcfd »
The mentor mentioned in the article is a friend of GMC he will not be on the payroll. As a start this will be ok but if the club wanted a contracted DOF or equivalent they need to continue to work to that aim which will give the club continuity with a football executive.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on December 31, 2021, 11:19:20 am by silent majority »

But that's the thing. I'm just a normal pleb, I just get info from DFP website or bits you mention on here (which I do appreciate), so I can only go based on that, you may know more yourself but I only can go from what I've read below.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/gary-mcsheffrey-discusses-the-mentor-figure-who-will-advise-him-in-his-role-as-doncaster-rovers-manager-3510943

I guess us plebs will hear more in a few days when this role is officially announced.

I wouldn't call you a pleb.

Yes, I have discussed this with GB a few times in the last few weeks, and I'm just trying to reassure you there is more to this than has been released so far. But its not my position to issue press releases or newspaper articles.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on December 31, 2021, 11:34:38 am by sha66y »

Ya just a gullible t**t that reads everything and absorbs nowt!

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on December 31, 2021, 02:04:23 pm by ChrisBx »
Turns out it is Lee Carsley. Very impressed with that. I look forward to hearing more about the role.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on December 31, 2021, 02:07:04 pm by Chris Black come back »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on December 31, 2021, 02:08:40 pm by Copps is Magic »
I will be interested to see the terms, but you don't get any better pedigree than the current England u21 manager surely. Hopefully he can help us out with some tips regarding young players (if you don't ask you don;t get).

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on December 31, 2021, 02:28:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Crux of the issue is this. Is this mentor or whatever working for the club or for GMc? If it's for GMc it isn't going to help with the issues the club itself has identified.

We need someone whose loyalty lies with DRFC beyond the manager currently involved who can help football decisions that shouldn't be left to a coach who really should be focusing 100% of their abilities on 3pts in the next game.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on December 31, 2021, 03:45:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Crux of the issue is this. Is this mentor or whatever working for the club or for GMc? If it's for GMc it isn't going to help with the issues the club itself has identified.

We need someone whose loyalty lies with DRFC beyond the manager currently involved who can help football decisions that shouldn't be left to a coach who really should be focusing 100% of their abilities on 3pts in the next game.

Nome of us are in a position to determine what the scope of Casleys involvement is.
I wouldn't be so blinkered in the thinking in what he can bring to the party that will help McSheffrey on a personal level and the club on a broader level. 

If further down the line after this big change of personnel, and things have settled, they decide to go down the route of DoF, then I'm sure they will.

The current incumbents need time to be able to make things work.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on December 31, 2021, 04:36:58 pm by colincramb »
So just for clarity, we’ve ended up with an inexperienced manager, an inexperienced number 2 and an inexperienced GK coach and a mentor that doesn’t work for us? It’s all hardly inspiring stuff.

But will reserve full judgement for now

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on December 31, 2021, 04:38:25 pm by EasyforDennis »
My money is on JC (no not the one whose birthday is the 25th ;))

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on December 31, 2021, 09:19:56 pm by Rovers91 »
Basically McSheffrey has got a mate he can call if he needs a bit of advice, I'm sure most managers have.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on December 31, 2021, 10:24:40 pm by steve@dcfd »
Basically McSheffrey has got a mate he can call if he needs a bit of advice, I'm sure most managers have.
Correct but why did the club (Chairman) publicise it and make it sound a role we were recruiting for. We might eventually.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012