Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 12:39:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mentor  (Read 7170 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Mentor
« Reply #30 on December 29, 2021, 06:20:10 pm by silent majority »
From DROS.

Gary and the board have already met to look at recruitment of players with another meeting planned for Friday to hopefully sign off on intended targets.

“His next meeting is then with myself and Kirsty Cavanagh as we look to secure his support staff.

Anyone slightly concerned by the last bit?
Are we in for another 4 week dick dance?

No, we're not.

Players have been identified and 4 were spoken to today. Hopefully they will sign and be ready to go on January 4th which is the first available date.

Support staff have been identified and contracts offered, with a view to unveiling them very shortly.

The mentor role has also been identified but may take a little longer to put in place due to certain circumstances. That's not a negative at all, but certain t's and c's have to be dealt with.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 29, 2021, 06:25:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
From DROS.

Gary and the board have already met to look at recruitment of players with another meeting planned for Friday to hopefully sign off on intended targets.

“His next meeting is then with myself and Kirsty Cavanagh as we look to secure his support staff.

No, we're not.

Players have been identified and 4 were spoken to today. Hopefully they will sign and be ready to go on January 4th which is the first available date.

Support staff have been identified and contracts offered, with a view to unveiling them very shortly.

The mentor role has also been identified but may take a little longer to put in place due to certain circumstances. That's not a negative at all, but certain t's and c's have to be dealt with.

Well Martin I hope all that goes to plan.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 29, 2021, 06:29:20 pm by silent majority »
From DROS.

No, we're not.

Well Martin I hope all that goes to plan.

Give it 24/48 hours. We should see some movement in that time frame, maybe not all of it, but certainly some of the plan will be announced.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 06:37:28 pm by silent majority »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on December 29, 2021, 06:35:02 pm by IDM »
From DROS.

No, we're not.

Thanks for the update..

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 29, 2021, 06:46:10 pm by Campsall rover »
From DROS.

Your really sad. Anything constructive to say. Thought not.

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 29, 2021, 08:14:13 pm by Pside »
From DROS.

No, we're not.

Cheers for the reply SM

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 29, 2021, 08:16:13 pm by Pside »
From DROS.

What? It was a genuine question. Sorry if I could of worded it better, My English doesn’t seem to be up to your scratch 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 29, 2021, 08:21:34 pm by Campsall rover »
So that’s a Manager, a Mentor, assistant manager, player recruitment officer, first team coach, goalkeeping coach, academy manager/coach, fitness coach, set piece coach…. Have I missed anybody?   We might even get to a starting eleven! 
Don't forget the Mental Performance Coach. Definitely a key role that has been vital this year.
Is that for the Rovers players or the pond life on Twitter.

Maybe don't use Twitter if you are so offended.
I don’t. I do not go near it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 29, 2021, 08:26:18 pm by Campsall rover »
From DROS.

What? It was a genuine question. Sorry if I could of worded it better, My English doesn’t seem to be up to your scratch
Are we in for another 4 week dick dance.  That was a genuine question was it?
So that’s what we have just had is it in your opinion.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 29, 2021, 09:18:47 pm by 5minstogo »
So that’s a Manager, a Mentor, assistant manager, player recruitment officer, first team coach, goalkeeping coach, academy manager/coach, fitness coach, set piece coach…. Have I missed anybody?   We might even get to a starting eleven! 
Don't forget the Mental Performance Coach. Definitely a key role that has been vital this year.
Is that for the Rovers players or the pond life on Twitter.

Maybe don't use Twitter if you are so offended.
I don’t. I do not go near it.

Seems odd to refer to people who do use it as "Pond life" in that case.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 30, 2021, 02:43:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
The mentor as been chosen and club in negotiations with that person. Not sure he will be a permanent staff member someone who GMC can call on, certainly not a DOF as that post is being discussed at top level no decision yet.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 30, 2021, 03:07:14 pm by Donnybax »
I do find this a little odd. I thought this role was to try and provide a bit of continuity so we don’t have this massive mess every time we lose a manager? It seems that this isn’t the case

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 30, 2021, 03:11:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The mentor as been chosen and club in negotiations with that person. Not sure he will be a permanent staff member someone who GMC can call on, certainly not a DOF as that post is being discussed at top level no decision yet.

It's all part of the negotiation process, sometimes involving other parties.

As S_M says, it sounds like they know exactly who they want.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 30, 2021, 03:17:31 pm by Batleyred »
I’ve just listened to Gavins interview, spoke lots of sense when questioned on being a cheap option and in regards to the mentor. It’s a good listen.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 30, 2021, 03:17:48 pm by danumdon »
I do find this a little odd. I thought this role was to try and provide a bit of continuity so we don’t have this massive mess every time we lose a manager? It seems that this isn’t the case

We don't even know yet if this is the case or if its a separate position to the DOF type who would provide continuity as he would also have input from the boards side.

Best people wait to see what the full outcome is.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on December 30, 2021, 03:25:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

They didn't say that specifically, I think it was only us that took that speculation and developed it, me included.

My observation on the appointment was that GM was appointed as 'Manager' rather than Head Coach, which seems to point to not going down the Head Coach/DoF route.

You may also recall GB talking about providing the new man with the best support possible so that looks like it will come through the existing set up with Younger, Copps etc then the appointment of his assistant and coaches plus this other new position.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 30, 2021, 05:28:44 pm by mushRTID »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 30, 2021, 05:39:51 pm by Chris Black come back »
Lee Carsley.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 30, 2021, 05:57:44 pm by ChrisBx »
Lee Carsley.

He has only recently taken the England U21 job.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 30, 2021, 05:59:12 pm by mushRTID »
The twitter reaction to that article is mad.

If this is what GM wants then what does it matter?

Sure iv seen it mentioned the DOF role is still being discussed at board level too.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on December 30, 2021, 05:59:52 pm by Donnybax »
So it’s not even going to be a club employee?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on December 30, 2021, 06:00:10 pm by drfchound »
Lee Carsley.

But whoever it is won’t be giving up his other job, if he has one of course.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on December 30, 2021, 06:01:06 pm by Northants Nomad »
Lee Carsley.

He's a well known coach who is now in world football, then. So that fits the bill.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 30, 2021, 06:04:41 pm by ChrisBx »
You may be right but I'd be very surprised if it was Carsley. I've had a look through some of the squads McSheffrey was part of and there's a fairly long list of people who fit the description in the DFP article.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 30, 2021, 07:03:01 pm by MachoMadness »
So hang on. Now this mentor role isn't even a role at all? It's essentially just GM's mate who he calls for advice? Surely every manager at every level of the game does this, so why is it newsworthy? I'm very confused.

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on December 30, 2021, 07:52:08 pm by streathamdave »
This shouldn't have even been mentioned if it isn't someone employed by the club. Not sure that an external advisor looks good on Gary or the club. Should have been kept a private matter.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on December 30, 2021, 07:56:40 pm by colincramb »
So hang on. Now this mentor role isn't even a role at all? It's essentially just GM's mate who he calls for advice? Surely every manager at every level of the game does this, so why is it newsworthy? I'm very confused.

Nope I’ve already asked this question and the response from SM was that it was more than just ‘advice and guidance’ over the phone

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 30, 2021, 08:02:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
This position was mentioned in a Rovers article when announcing the appointment.

It was reported to have come from D Blunt

Chairman David Blunt said: “The reaction we have seen from the team since Gary’s appointment, along with the excellent way he conducted himself during his interview for the job meant that we felt he was the best man to take the team forward. He understands the club, the existing squad personnel and showed a greater understanding of the needs of the team compared to many of his counterparts with experience at higher levels.

“He is a well-spoken character who has clearly had an impact in the short-term, and we will give him all the support he needs both in terms of player recruitment and support staff off the field to help the team get out of the position we currently find ourselves in on the pitch. As part of his support team, Gary has identified a senior mentor he would want to bring in to support him and recruitment for this position will start immediately. We also expect to finalise appointments for assistant manager, goalkeeping coach and set piece coach within the next few days.

“Our aim was always to have this appointment finalised before the start of the January transfer window, and with that now done our focus turns to strengthening the squad and looking forward to a strong second half of the campaign.”

So as you see it talks about recruitment not just advise either on the phone or face to face as GMC said in the DFP article

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on December 30, 2021, 09:46:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This shouldn't have even been mentioned if it isn't someone employed by the club. Not sure that an external advisor looks good on Gary or the club. Should have been kept a private matter.

That's not yours or our decision to make. I speculated whether it may be a background role that we may never see or hear however, there must be a good reason for it. The people at the club are more qualified to make these decisions and will do it the right way.

As said above, there's perhaps more to it than meets the eye.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on December 30, 2021, 10:02:20 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The mentor just sounds like what you’d expect in management maybe a little more formal with whoever it is visiting the club when GMc wants but essentially it’s someone on the phone to ask advice of.

Not really a role that needs to be all over the press. Every manager you’d expect would have people they speak to and consult for advice. Its a close relatively small industry everyone will know everyone.

As others have mentioned I hope there is still a plan for a DOF type role and that this mentor doesn’t mean we don’t go down that route. The rational for a DOF hasn’t changed at all. I’m hoping that role is just seen as less immediately urgent and is still on the to do list

TinyPortal © 2005-2012