Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 09:11:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No criticism allowed  (Read 3601 times)

kirk

• Forum Member
Re: No criticism allowed
« Reply #30 on December 29, 2021, 12:19:35 pm by kirk »
I’m not sure who I wanted to get the managers job and there would of only been a handful I wouldn’t want to have got it and none of those did,so Gary Mac gets my full support like those before him,no one can work wonders with the players he has to pick from at the minute through the injuries and covid with have had all season.just need to see who gets brought in next month and I must be one of a few that still think we have a chance of stopping up

We absolutely can stop up, Vic. I don't get why so many seem to have thrown in the towel. We're half way through the season with a transfer window to come. Recruit the right 4 or 5 players and we can absolutely stay up.

A different scenario and a world away in terms of squad quality and performance, but does anyone remember where we were at Christmas in the Championship the first season under SOD?

Stopping up is all down to how much the board back the manger, I am willing to give my full support to GM.

The board however are the ones who need to accept full responsibility for where we are Today

I take it it was the board who knobbled 7, 8, 9 first team players then.?

First team players ? Look at the team that lost 6.0 to Ipswich.

Even with a full strength squad we will struggle to get out of this mess.

The board went into this season knowing we were under strength, under prepared and let Richie take all the blame !!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 29, 2021, 12:44:35 pm by IDM »
Oh aye, that team vs Ipswich included Fey, Tayls, John, Galbraith and even Bostock, did it.? :facepalm:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 29, 2021, 12:46:41 pm by ravenrover »
Bless, RW knew the size of the budget from day 1. He chose to blow it on mainly young prospects instead of thre seasoned pros we needed and end up supplementing it with young loans and cheap last minute bin buys
Were the Board responsible for how and on who he spent the money? Oliver Twist sums it up,  please sir I want some more

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on December 29, 2021, 12:51:26 pm by PDX_Rover »
Personally, I’m pretty happy with this appointment.

Predictably, the meltdown on social media is embarrassing. Totally embarrassing. Supposed grown adults acting like spoiled brats. But, each to their own I guess. The level of ignorance is cringeworthy…

John Ryan talked a lot of sense though: “Give Gary McSheffrey a chance he may well turn out to be a shrewd investment. He was a clever player and could be a young quality manager. When I
appointed Sean O’Driscoll I was given a
lot of abuse but look how that turned
out. Gary needs some backing to bring
in 2 or 3 quality players plus change a
couple of loans, get some injured
players back and we could escape the
drop and build again in the
Summer. RTID”

I think he might surprise a lot of people. He’s studious, knows the club and the mess we are in, and his reading of the game is excellent. Yeah, the board could have appointed a ‘name’ but that solves nothing does it? It’s just a name… no guarantee of anything really.

The mentor role is vital and has been identified so let’s see who that is. It could be an excellent pairing.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 29, 2021, 12:52:45 pm by since-1969 »
When I saw Atkinson in the Sky commentary team I immediately though NO NO No.. it was de ja vu as Wellens had appeared on an Efl show and low and behold he gets the job . Nightmares are made of such things . So phew!! welcome and good luck to you Gary McSheffrey!!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 29, 2021, 12:53:46 pm by RobTheRover »
I’m not sure who I wanted to get the managers job and there would of only been a handful I wouldn’t want to have got it and none of those did,so Gary Mac gets my full support like those before him,no one can work wonders with the players he has to pick from at the minute through the injuries and covid with have had all season.just need to see who gets brought in next month and I must be one of a few that still think we have a chance of stopping up

We absolutely can stop up, Vic. I don't get why so many seem to have thrown in the towel. We're half way through the season with a transfer window to come. Recruit the right 4 or 5 players and we can absolutely stay up.

A different scenario and a world away in terms of squad quality and performance, but does anyone remember where we were at Christmas in the Championship the first season under SOD?

Stopping up is all down to how much the board back the manger, I am willing to give my full support to GM.

The board however are the ones who need to accept full responsibility for where we are Today

The board went into this season knowing we were under strength, under prepared and let Richie take all the blame !!

No, they allowed Richie to do his job, which he didn't do very well.

If you were at the Meet the Owners event you'd have heard the top table admit they let Richie bring in the players he wanted even if sometimes that was against their instincts. Maybe they should have challenged him some more on some of the signings?  That's not their style. This board don't interfere in the day to day team matters. Whatever, it's all opinion in the end, as the board put their faith in Richie to do the job and ultimately he failed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 12:56:58 pm by RobTheRover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 29, 2021, 12:54:28 pm by Campsall rover »

The board picked all the players then. Richie did not get a say in the recruitment.

RW was given a budget and he did not use it well. That’s plainly obvious. There was a mitigating factor ref striker as Ferji was supposed to be raring to go by end of August and it did not happen. Hence last min panic to sign a striker.

But he left us short in midfield and 3 of other signings were sub standard. Williams, Curkur, and  Hiwula.
Dodoo was last striker left on the shelf.

But he could not get a proper tune out of  Knoyle, Bostock and Close two of which were imo good signings from him. I think Gm will get the best out of. Knoyle and is already improving and Smith also under GM.
Both were our best players by some distance v Sunderland and Smith is getting better every game.
Knoyle will be a good player. RW knocked the stuffing out of him imo.

So no it was all the boards fault. RW was just the manager so what’s it got to do with him !!!  ;)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 29, 2021, 01:09:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sad for those people expecting Steve McLaren, Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy.

Nobody was expecting any of them. When they did become subjects of discussion when they appeared in the betting market, we discussed the merits of them either a) as manager or, as in my case b) the merit of a DoF. As you pointed out, highly unlikely but not beyond the realms of possibility.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 29, 2021, 01:42:19 pm by phil old leake »
Easy that’s already happened on numerous occasions

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 29, 2021, 01:57:59 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The more I read some posters comments on here I am convinced certain posters would be happy if the board appointed Mickey Mouse as manager with Goofy as his assistant.

But you weren't available! :silly:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 29, 2021, 02:05:01 pm by ravenrover »
Sad for those people expecting Steve McLaren, Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy.

Nobody was expecting any of them. When they did become subjects of discussion when they appeared in the betting market, we discussed the merits of them either a) as manager or, as in my case b) the merit of a DoF. As you pointed out, highly unlikely but not beyond the realms of possibility.
Nobody expected them as CBcb had already told us they weren't coming!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on December 29, 2021, 02:09:18 pm by selby »
  Easy for Dennis, I think that some of our supporters at the moment would be better suited to going to the flicks Saturday morning and actually watching Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 29, 2021, 02:10:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It was the board who selected RW who majority on here believe was the wrong manager who brought in the wrong players, not the recruitment team. Or was it that we had 7/8/9 players injured and unavailable. Those players are still injured talking to them nicely won’t improve their injuries.
The board, recruitment team, medical and physio staff and RW have blame in varying degrees. Appointing GMC won’t suddenly take all that away.

Bloody 'ell, talk about rewriting history. I didn't want RW as manager and I was very much in the minority when he was appointed.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 29, 2021, 02:11:50 pm by Batleyred »
The club can never do right it seems. All these shouting for the board to sell up have not got a bit of sense between them. Now if they did have sense they would see were finically better of than most clubs. That to me says we're a much more attractive prospect for new investment. Don't let facts get in the way while all the grown up kids have a wobble.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 29, 2021, 03:03:22 pm by EasyforDennis »
  Easy for Dennis, I think that some of our supporters at the moment would be better suited to going to the flicks Saturday morning and actually watching Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Depends on how you define supporters Selby. I agree about the kids who populate the south stand and after the game walk around with their moronic chanting but most of the supporters on here who pay good money to watch us are allowed to express their opinions when they don't like some aspects of how the club is run and not be criticised by those who will never see any faults whatsoever.

kirk

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 29, 2021, 03:14:09 pm by kirk »
Oh aye, that team vs Ipswich included Fey, Tayls, John, Galbraith and even Bostock, did it.? :facepalm:

It’s very rare a team are full strength, was it down to injuries or  Richie?

kirk

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 29, 2021, 03:15:15 pm by kirk »

Depends on how you define supporters Selby. I agree about the kids who populate the south stand and after the game walk around with their moronic chanting but most of the supporters on here who pay good money to watch us are allowed to express their opinions when they don't like some aspects of how the club is run and not be criticised by those who will never see any faults whatsoever.

You can until it doesn’t fit the narrative!

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 29, 2021, 03:17:07 pm by Batleyred »
People criticised the board for delaying, but I’ve listened to Gary Mac on you tube and it was his wish. Also explained why that decision was made.

Unwanted criticism again backed up with no facts.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 29, 2021, 03:24:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
People criticised the board for delaying, but I’ve listened to Gary Mac on you tube and it was his wish. Also explained why that decision was made.

Why were you both in London?

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 29, 2021, 03:28:37 pm by Batleyred »

Why were you both in London?

Yes I’m a bit lost on the tube.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 29, 2021, 03:33:20 pm by IDM »

Either way, it’s not the board’s fault.

With hindsight they maybe didn’t make a good choice with Wellens but then again not did Wellens use what he was given well enough..

Anyway, we can only move forward can’t we?

kirk

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on December 29, 2021, 03:42:51 pm by kirk »

With hindsight they maybe didn’t make a good choice with Wellens but then again not did Wellens use what he was given well enough..

So the situation we are in is no fault of the board ?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 29, 2021, 03:47:11 pm by IDM »
The injuries and the poor choices made by Wellens certainly aren’t.

Mind you, some of our “supporters” would blame the board for any mishaps at the club..

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 29, 2021, 04:57:47 pm by jmt23 »
There is a handful of so called supporters ( I would ask them to look that word up though) that are contributing to a toxic feeling within the whole club, and eventually they will drag everyone down with them.

Can we not just support the club/team - we are in a fight this season, but we have very good people in charge, irrespective of your opinions. They are trying to do the best they can, and actually admit what they have got wrong.

You do not have to look too far back in our history to see what bad owners are.

We also have our bit to do in this fight, and it is not to sing songs about how poor you think the team/club is - it aint funny and achieves only the opposite of what you should want.
 :rtid:

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on December 29, 2021, 05:45:51 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

My, you are so desperate to pin all the blame for everything on the board aren't you? That's not what he said and you know it.

kirk

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 29, 2021, 05:55:14 pm by kirk »

My, you are so desperate to pin all the blame for everything on the board aren't you? That's not what he said and you know it.

So why do so many (you included) find it too difficult to lay any blame at their door ?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on December 29, 2021, 06:01:36 pm by IDM »
Should we blame them for appointing 2 of our last 3 permanent managers who were doing great here before being poached by bigger clubs?

Every season across the EFL nine teams get relegated and the same amount again struggle close to the drop.  That’s 18/72 teams or a quarter of them.

Every season.

If the boards were to blame all the time then the constant change at 25% of EFL clubs every season would be absolute chaos.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on December 29, 2021, 06:10:03 pm by silent majority »

So why do so many (you included) find it too difficult to lay any blame at their door ?

The thing that bothers me is the broad brush approach when discussing the board.

They're 3 people all with different assets, all with different personalities. They act in unison because that's the way that DB and TB have done since their days at Keepmoat. I notice GB gets the shitty end of the stick when in reality the fault, if there is one, should be directed elsewhere. DB is the Chairman of DRFC. The buck stops with him. GB is the CEO and has transformed the income streams of this club in recent years, we as supporters should be very thankful for that. TB is the quiet, but tough personality, who sits in the background. As an individual he has put more money into this club than anybody in its history, and yet for some reason we want him to sell up and move out.

Now, I don't mind a debate with anyone, but the very least people can do is argue with known facts or formed opinion and not the complete fabrication of stuff I witnessed on twitter earlier today. What absolute nonsense that is!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on December 29, 2021, 06:15:51 pm by sha66y »
You are allowed to criticise……but you yourself will then be ridiculed and harassed!
Not because you made a negative point but because you constantly make a negative point …..

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on December 29, 2021, 06:19:22 pm by BVB »

Perhaps so many (me included) acknowledge that mistakes are made in all walks of life but consider on balance that any mistakes made by the current board are far outweighed by the benefits they bring and have brought that means we actually have a football club to support and are likely to be able to do so for the foreseeable future.

Oh, and also that so many (me included) try not to have a narrow, negative chip-shouldering conspiracy-theory-at-every-turn mindset.

Happy to help.
BVB

TinyPortal © 2005-2012