Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 07:02:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Shambles  (Read 12602 times)

vaya

• Forum Member
Re: Shambles
« Reply #120 on January 04, 2022, 06:33:17 pm by vaya »
The rot set in long before Richie Wellens came to the club....The board talked about a rebuild...you can't do any rebuild without proper resources.....No manager can do any rebuild without the proper tools for a rebuild....The fact is football today is all about money and if the manager has been instructed to do a rebuild then he needs a budget to do that rebuild....The calibre of players at the club is down to the budget, what else can it be down to...Blame the manager all you want but who runs the club, who sets the budget and under who's instructions what direction the club goes....Its the board who set the budget, not the manager....The board keep talking about rebuilds, club identity , but where is the action to back up what they say?....Of course when they appointed Mcsheffrey, the board have to try and plan for every scenario but to appoint a inexperienced manager at this point says a lot about what the board are thinking.....You ask about planning for a May play-off play....well it shouldn't had come to planning for relegation should it?.......

Wellens was given the 14th highest budget in League 1. Surely that was enough for a rebuild?
It should have been but Wellens did not use it wisely. That is plainly obvious.
Every team needs a solid spine. We do not have one.
Yes injuries have not helped but we were always short of a proper MR in midfield even with a completely fit squad.
Hiwula has been a disgrace unless there is a genuine reason why he can’t be arsed or do the basics.
Usually there is not an excuse for idleness.

Cukur and Dodoo are simply no where near the standard of footballer at this level so even a fit Okinheberhie we would have no back up at all.

Smith although improving is totally inexperienced at League level.
So with the plan RW had of playing Rowe at left back we had Close and Galbraith with Bostock in midfield.
Bostock is injury prone and can’t run or tackle so has only one string to his bow which is passing.

So we were obviously going to be short in midfield. Now Close is injured.
Williams proved a poor signing at centre back and Knoyle badly underperformed while RW was in charge.
Way below his standard last season at Cambridge.

Gardener, Barlow and Vilca were last min panic signings to get the numbers up.
All have not reached full fitness and are unable it would seem to stay fit. None have played a full 90 mins more than once I think so far.  Possibly Barlow twice.

The recruitment was poor, very poor indeed with the 14th largest budget. Worse still was the way RW man managed the squad. He knocked the stuffing out of them because he I was not capable it would seem to be calm and composed. The players were playing with fear.

Now GM has got a confidence problem to sort out which ain’t easy when you are bottom of the table and have just conceded 4 goals after being 3-0 up at half time.

I will go back to my original question...How do we know that the club had given Wellens the 14th highest budget in League One?......I'm not saying Wellens was perfect in how he did his job, but when any professional football club has to revert to signing players without a club, its says a lot about the budget....Surely Wellens didn't want to sign players without a club, any manager at this level wouldn't do that if he hadn't got to.....

Which players were signed that were without a club David?
Gardner,Barlow,Doodoo...just to name three....Its bad...

On that basis, Rowe, Close, Hiwula, Knoyle, Williams were all also 'without a club' when they signed.....

I didn't mention those names, you did.....

So presumably any team or manager that signs a player who is out of contract is being forced into it then?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on January 04, 2022, 06:44:47 pm by David Pearson »
The rot set in long before Richie Wellens came to the club....The board talked about a rebuild...you can't do any rebuild without proper resources.....No manager can do any rebuild without the proper tools for a rebuild....The fact is football today is all about money and if the manager has been instructed to do a rebuild then he needs a budget to do that rebuild....The calibre of players at the club is down to the budget, what else can it be down to...Blame the manager all you want but who runs the club, who sets the budget and under who's instructions what direction the club goes....Its the board who set the budget, not the manager....The board keep talking about rebuilds, club identity , but where is the action to back up what they say?....Of course when they appointed Mcsheffrey, the board have to try and plan for every scenario but to appoint a inexperienced manager at this point says a lot about what the board are thinking.....You ask about planning for a May play-off play....well it shouldn't had come to planning for relegation should it?.......

Wellens was given the 14th highest budget in League 1. Surely that was enough for a rebuild?
Yes injuries have not helped but we were always short of a proper MR in midfield even with a completely fit squad.
Hiwula has been a disgrace unless there is a genuine reason why he can’t be arsed or do the basics.

Cukur and Dodoo are simply no where near the standard of footballer at this level so even a fit Okinheberhie we would have no back up at all.

So with the plan RW had of playing Rowe at left back we had Close and Galbraith with Bostock in midfield.
Bostock is injury prone and can’t run or tackle so has only one string to his bow which is passing.

Williams proved a poor signing at centre back and Knoyle badly underperformed while RW was in charge.

All have not reached full fitness and are unable it would seem to stay fit. None have played a full 90 mins more than once I think so far.  Possibly Barlow twice.

The recruitment was poor, very poor indeed with the 14th largest budget. Worse still was the way RW man managed the squad. He knocked the stuffing out of them because he I was not capable it would seem to be calm and composed. The players were playing with fear.

Now GM has got a confidence problem to sort out which ain’t easy when you are bottom of the table and have just conceded 4 goals after being 3-0 up at half time.

I will go back to my original question...How do we know that the club had given Wellens the 14th highest budget in League One?......I'm not saying Wellens was perfect in how he did his job, but when any professional football club has to revert to signing players without a club, its says a lot about the budget....Surely Wellens didn't want to sign players without a club, any manager at this level wouldn't do that if he hadn't got to.....

On that basis, Rowe, Close, Hiwula, Knoyle, Williams were all also 'without a club' when they signed.....

So presumably any team or manager that signs a player who is out of contract is being forced into it then?
A player out of contract, is a different matter to a player without a club....The player without a club, there is a reason he isn't with a club....A player out of contract maybe weighing up his options...Everyone with any idea of how football works must know that if a player is without a club, then there is a reason he hasn't been signed by any club....A professional football club that needs to sign a player without a club must be desperate for players.....The manager is forced to sign these players as a last resort....And how many of these players have the rovers signed .....If any manager at any professional club sign players whom no other clubs wants, then what does it say about the player and what does it say about the club that signs those players...I have supported Doncaster Rovers for fifty years and this is happening for a reason...

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on January 04, 2022, 06:49:30 pm by i_ateallthepies »

I expect the truth lays somewhere between what each of you are saying.  What seems self evident, however and has been stated by numerous contributors on here of late is that the club has systematically eroded the playing budget over recent years, it goes back far beyond Richie Wellens' reign.  And people can play petty point-scoring but the fact that when so many of Wellens' signings were unattached it's a fair indication that there were budgetary reasons they were chosen.  Proven by the 'no more signings until players (Bogle/Williams) leave' debacle.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on January 04, 2022, 06:53:00 pm by Lesonthewest »

The budget set at the start of this season cannot had been good enough, just look at the calibre of player brought in....And before anyone says, it was Wellens who brought these players in..he could only bring in what the budget allowed...

I'm pretty sure a 14th highest League 1 budget allows for better players than Cukur, Dodoo, Hiwula, and Williams.
How do we know for a fact that it was the 14th highest budget in League One?..
Because GB has said so publicly. Budgets are monitored against other clubs budgets on a regular basis.
So Gavin Baldwin's word is gospel....This is the man who said the rovers aren't in a relegation fight...
So he is a liar.  We have the 24th largest budget in league 1.  We are in 24th place. So are you happy now.
We are where we are supposed to be.

Good grief man you are something else.
I didn't say "we have the 24th highest budget in League One ", you did......Just look at the calibre of player Doncaster Rovers Football Club have brought in.....No manager wants to sign players who don't have a club, if they don't need to.....If any football clubat a professional level should not have to sign players without a club...If these players are without a club then they aren't of a good standard are they?.....No other club wanted these players, but the rovers signed them , maybe a desperate measure...

I believe Louis Reed was without a club when he was with us pre-season aswell, sure Wellens wanted him but something happened & he ended up at Swindon, knew then we were bargain basement shopping.

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on January 04, 2022, 06:53:39 pm by David Pearson »

I expect the truth lays somewhere between what each of you are saying.  What seems self evident, however and has been stated by numerous contributors on here of late is that the club has systematically eroded the playing budget over recent years, it goes back far beyond Richie Wellens' reign.  And people can play petty point-scoring but the fact that when so many of Wellens' signings were unattached it's a fair indication that there were budgetary reasons they were chosen.  Proven by the 'no more signings until players (Bogle/Williams) leave' debacle.
I can agree with what you say there...

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on January 04, 2022, 06:54:10 pm by Campsall rover »

The budget set at the start of this season cannot had been good enough, just look at the calibre of player brought in....And before anyone says, it was Wellens who brought these players in..he could only bring in what the budget allowed...

I'm pretty sure a 14th highest League 1 budget allows for better players than Cukur, Dodoo, Hiwula, and Williams.
Because GB has said so publicly. Budgets are monitored against other clubs budgets on a regular basis.
So Gavin Baldwin's word is gospel....This is the man who said the rovers aren't in a relegation fight...
So he is a liar.  We have the 24th largest budget in league 1.  We are in 24th place. So are you happy now.

I didn't say "we have the 24th highest budget in League One ", you did......Just look at the calibre of player Doncaster Rovers Football Club have brought in.....No manager wants to sign players who don't have a club, if they don't need to.....If any football clubat a professional level should not have to sign players without a club...If these players are without a club then they aren't of a good standard are they?.....No other club wanted these players, but the rovers signed them , maybe a desperate measure...
You seem to know. You tell us then where does our budget lie between 15th and 24th come on clever you are saying GB is lying so you must know.

Do you think RW would have taken the job if he had not been given a budget he would thought to have been enough to stabilise us somewhere mid table this season.

Yes there were some desperate signings at the end of the window because he had blown the budget on those he did sign earlier. 
That is plainly obvious.

Yes the injuries to Ferji and Tayls were far worse than he was told so some mitigating circumstances there I agree. 
The injuries we have had since have been crippling again I agree but why are we getting so many of them?
It is a fact injuries last so much longer when your bottom of the league.
I have my doubts about the bottle of some of our squad.
No names but tell you what if they were not paid some of them would recover an awful lot quicker I suspect.

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on January 04, 2022, 07:00:49 pm by David Pearson »
The rovers are shopping at the bargain basement...Even recently Gavin Baldwin has been talking of substantial funds available for Mcsheffrey, then all of a sudden potential signings are named, then the next minute it's been said we can't afford that playeror the other player......I'm hope I'm wrong but I don't expect anything different from this transfer window, than we saw previously....

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on January 04, 2022, 07:08:45 pm by David Pearson »

You seem to know. You tell us then where does our budget lie between 15th and 24th come on clever you are saying GB is lying so you must know.

Do you think RW would have taken the job if he had not been given a budget he would thought to have been enough to stabilise us somewhere mid table this season.

Yes there were some desperate signings at the end of the window because he had blown the budget on those he did sign earlier. 
That is plainly obvious.

Yes the injuries to Ferji and Tayls were far worse than he was told so some mitigating circumstances there I agree. 
The injuries we have had since have been crippling again I agree but why are we getting so many of them?
It is a fact injuries last so much longer when your bottom of the league.
I have my doubts about the bottle of some of our squad.
No names but tell you what if they were not paid some of them would recover an awful lot quicker I suspect.
Other forum members are quoting 14th/24th in relation to the clubs budget...I'm looking at the standard of player Doncaster Rovers are signing , not league position.....If Wellens had blown the budget on two or three players, again what does it say about the budget....Its either Close was very expensive, yet no signing on fee or the budget was as good as the board were saying.....

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on January 04, 2022, 07:14:17 pm by Campsall rover »
The rovers are shopping at the bargain basement...Even recently Gavin Baldwin has been talking of substantial funds available for Mcsheffrey, then all of a sudden potential signings are named, then the next minute it's been said we can't afford that playeror the other player......I'm hope I'm wrong but I don't expect anything different from this transfer window, than we saw previously....
You didn’t answer the question. You changed the subject.

So much garbage spouted without anything to substantiate any of it.   

Look at Sheffield Wednesdays budget and look where they are in the league. Not top are they, not even in top 6 are they. Will be luck to finish in the top 8 imo.
Poor manager, and some poor recruitment.

Ipswich where are they in the league. Huge budget for this division. Manager sacked.
Charlton same as above. Manager sacked.
Portsmouth where are they. ( yes improving recently ) but still mot in top 6.

Where as Rotherham, Wycombe, Oxford, Plymouth all smaller clubs doing well.
Good managers, great recruitment on very ave league 1 budgets, yes none of those will be top 6 budgets in this league.
Wycombe will not be top 12 imo.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 07:17:36 pm by Campsall rover »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on January 04, 2022, 07:19:30 pm by DearneValleyRover »
No one appears to be taking into account that, players their agents and clubs know we are desperate to sign players so therefore hike their wage demands/fees up

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on January 04, 2022, 07:20:53 pm by Campsall rover »
No one appears to be taking into account that, players their agents and clubs know we are desperate to sign players so therefore hike their wage demands/fees up
That is likely to be true DVR.

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on January 04, 2022, 07:28:07 pm by David Pearson »

Look at Sheffield Wednesdays budget and look where they are in the league. Not top are they, not even in top 6 are they. Will be luck to finish in the top 8 imo.

Ipswich where are they in the league. Huge budget for this division. Manager sacked.

Good managers, great recruitment on very ave league 1 budgets, yes none of those will be top 6 budgets in this league.
I don't know where the rovers budget lies in relation to other clubs budget, but I'm not the quoting 14th or 24th...Other forum members are quoting these things.....I'm judging things on the calibre of players the club are signing and anyone can see its a poor standard of player whom the club are signing...As for the Sheffield Wednesday budget and the Ipswich budget, I don't support either of those clubs so I'm not interested in their budgets...I'm not comparing the rovers budget against any other clubs budget...I'm looking at the standard of player the rovers have signed and then I question anyone who says we have a competitive budget when we are signing players who are not attached to any other club....It tells me that the rovers are desperate for players...

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on January 04, 2022, 07:28:44 pm by Campsall rover »

I believe Louis Reed was without a club when he was with us pre-season aswell, sure Wellens wanted him but something happened & he ended up at Swindon, knew then we were bargain basement shopping.
Louis Reed was not good enough. The Harrogate Town midfield made him look very ave and that is being complimentary to him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on January 04, 2022, 07:58:45 pm by drfchound »
That collapse on Saturday will have done tremendous harm to our recruitment plans.
If you were a L1 player would you want to come to Rovers having witnessed that.
Coming here is almost certain to put a relegation onto a CV and not many good players want that.
Young loan players might want to come to us but only to get some first team experience and game time.
They won’t give a shit about playing for the shirt or our supporters as they will be going back to their parent clubs at the end of the season.
As for players of the quality that we need, we won’t be prepared to pay the wages they will be asking for.
People I know in the game have repeatedly told me that Rovers are known for not paying particularly high wages.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on January 04, 2022, 08:00:37 pm by roversdude »
Wasn’t Messi without a club when he signed for PSG ??

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on January 04, 2022, 08:23:07 pm by Campsall rover »
That collapse on Saturday will have done tremendous harm to our recruitment plans.
Coming here is almost certain to put a relegation onto a CV and not many good players want that.
Young loan players might want to come to us but only to get some first team experience and game time.
They won’t give a shit about playing for the shirt or our supporters as they will be going back to their parent clubs at the end of the season.
As for players of the quality that we need, we won’t be prepared to pay the wages they will be asking for.
People I know in the game have repeatedly told me that Rovers are known for not paying particularly high wages.
Compared to who though hound.
Sheff Wed, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth or Accrington, Crewe, Cheltenham, Burton.

Our wages are competitive for League 1. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on January 04, 2022, 08:24:09 pm by drfchound »
Sheff Wed, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth or Accrington, Crewe, Cheltenham, Burton.

Now neither you or I know whether that is factual mate, do we.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on January 04, 2022, 08:31:12 pm by Campsall rover »

Well unless GB is lying then we do. Our budget is 14th highest in League 1.
So 13 higher and 10 lower.  So competitive.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on January 04, 2022, 08:34:38 pm by drfchound »
I hope our January recruitment backs that up.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on January 04, 2022, 08:39:12 pm by Filo »

Sunday

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on January 04, 2022, 08:41:49 pm by David Pearson »

Well unless GB is lying then we do. Our budget is 14th highest in League 1.
So 13 higher and 10 lower.  So competitive.

1st/10th/14th/24th...it doesn't matter what it's seen to be, the club has been signing poor players recently and that shows on the pitch....You don't win nothing in the boardroom...Football matches are won on the pitch....If a club signs poor players that club will achieve nothing....

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on January 04, 2022, 08:47:00 pm by roversdude »
So what about a club that signs decent players who are then all injured leaving a very different market

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on January 04, 2022, 09:02:31 pm by WarwickRover »
The board, manager/coach, and ourselves the supporter are in a tough situation, you are either right or wrong but you can't please everyone.

A probability perspective

1) What is the probability of us either signing permanent/loan a player that is going to immediately make a better (than what we've got) impact?

2) What is the probability that the coach can can improve individuals  and the team including new arrivals?

3) What is the probability  of injured players returning and making an impact?

4) If all the above was possible what is the possibility of achieving 45 points?

If I was a betting man i would be thinking, and (being generous) giving the following chances

1) 50% (0.5)
2) 60% (0.6)
3) 30% (0.3)
4) 40% (0.4)

I'll leave you to do the math but not wager i would take on my team retaining L1 status

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on January 04, 2022, 09:04:37 pm by drfchound »

Sunday

What a difference a day makes eh.
Pedant.

But at least you are attacking the post and not the writer (perhaps.?)

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on January 04, 2022, 09:09:41 pm by WarwickRover »
Skybet have us at 1/16 to be relegated

What do you think are true odds to be relegated are?

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 04, 2022, 09:40:04 pm by David Pearson »
So what about a club that signs decent players who are then all injured leaving a very different market
Injuries as we all know can have an impact on any club at any given time.....that's why some clubs have strength in depth which again costs money.......We all football is about money in this day and age.......

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on January 04, 2022, 09:43:46 pm by roversdude »
So what do you think the squad size should be

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on January 04, 2022, 09:46:27 pm by David Pearson »
Skybet have us at 1/16 to be relegated

What do you think are true odds to be relegated are?
Odds of 1/16 for the rovers to be relegated are realistic odds in my opinion given where we are....Bookies are rarely wrong......I want the rivers to avoid relegation, but realistically, I think we are going down...

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on January 04, 2022, 09:48:22 pm by David Pearson »
So what do you think the squad size should be
In my opinion a squad should consist of two players for each position, complimented by two or maybe three loan players...

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on January 04, 2022, 10:14:05 pm by Lesonthewest »

Louis Reed was not good enough. The Harrogate Town midfield made him look very ave and that is being complimentary to him.

You have to be joking, you are basing him not being good enough on a pre season friendly, that's when players use games to get match fit. He is also head & shoulders above anyone we signed & would stroll straight into this team, we went on to sign Gardner late on,  no comparison. Doing really well at Swindon, scoring goals too.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012