Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 03:58:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Shambles  (Read 12690 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Shambles
« Reply #150 on January 04, 2022, 10:27:59 pm by roversdude »
You’re right a fit Gardner is much better

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on January 04, 2022, 10:33:06 pm by Canadian Rover »
RE: Reed.

We can't expect to match the likes of Swindons wages ;)

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on January 04, 2022, 10:37:50 pm by David Pearson »
RE: Reed.

We can't expect to match the likes of Swindons wages ;)
We can't match the wages of League Two Swindon Town?.....Are the rovers paying their players in buttons...?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on January 04, 2022, 10:42:17 pm by DonnyOsmond »
That collapse on Saturday will have done tremendous harm to our recruitment plans.
If you were a L1 player would you want to come to Rovers having witnessed that.
Coming here is almost certain to put a relegation onto a CV and not many good players want that.
Young loan players might want to come to us but only to get some first team experience and game time.
They won’t give a shit about playing for the shirt or our supporters as they will be going back to their parent clubs at the end of the season.
As for players of the quality that we need, we won’t be prepared to pay the wages they will be asking for.
People I know in the game have repeatedly told me that Rovers are known for not paying particularly high wages.
Compared to who though hound.
Sheff Wed, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth or Accrington, Crewe, Cheltenham, Burton.

Our wages are competitive for League 1.

Now neither you or I know whether that is factual mate, do we.
Well unless GB is lying then we do. Our budget is 14th highest in League 1.
So 13 higher and 10 lower.  So competitive.

1st/10th/14th/24th...it doesn't matter what it's seen to be, the club has been signing poor players recently and that shows on the pitch....You don't win nothing in the boardroom...Football matches are won on the pitch....If a club signs poor players that club will achieve nothing....

You're 100% true here. However, that doesn't mean money wasn't spent on those players, we could easily be over paying for crap players.

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on January 04, 2022, 10:49:10 pm by David Pearson »
That collapse on Saturday will have done tremendous harm to our recruitment plans.
Coming here is almost certain to put a relegation onto a CV and not many good players want that.
Young loan players might want to come to us but only to get some first team experience and game time.
They won’t give a shit about playing for the shirt or our supporters as they will be going back to their parent clubs at the end of the season.
As for players of the quality that we need, we won’t be prepared to pay the wages they will be asking for.
People I know in the game have repeatedly told me that Rovers are known for not paying particularly high wages.
Sheff Wed, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth or Accrington, Crewe, Cheltenham, Burton.

1st/10th/14th/24th...it doesn't matter what it's seen to be, the club has been signing poor players recently and that shows on the pitch....You don't win nothing in the boardroom...Football matches are won on the pitch....If a club signs poor players that club will achieve nothing....

You're 100% true here. However, that doesn't mean money wasn't spent on those players, we could easily be over paying for crap players.
To be honest I don't think the will be paying at least as is possible in wages...that's why the rovers sign poor quality of players...

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on January 04, 2022, 10:51:42 pm by DonnyOsmond »

To be honest I don't think the will be paying at least as is possible in wages...that's why the rovers sign poor quality of players...

Well no one has hard facts on that and you seem determined that our club has no money and under pays, so fair enough.

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on January 04, 2022, 11:02:22 pm by David Pearson »

Well no one has hard facts on that and you seem determined that our club has no money and under pays, so fair enough.
I don't know what the club pay in wages, I've no idea on that, but when you see what calibre of player the rovers sign, it makes you wonder what sort of wages the players are on...

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on January 05, 2022, 07:01:17 am by roversdude »
No we’ve signed decent quality players who are underperforming for whatever reason

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on January 05, 2022, 07:17:21 am by grayx »
No we’ve signed decent quality players who are underperforming for whatever reason
If only we had..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on January 05, 2022, 08:04:04 am by roversdude »
Our permanent signings on paper I’d have been pleased with.
Out of those RSW has been a disappointment but seemed a decent signing
Knoyle only just started playing decent but came highly rated
Hiwula another great signing based on previous clubs enough said about his Rovers career
Dodoo another decent signing and reading what fans from his previous clubs said always put a shift in.
Rowe excellent but played out of position due to injuries to others
Barlow I think will be a good player now showing signs of it
Gardner - we saw on Sunday what he can do when played in the right position
Loans have been decent with the exception of the forward who may end up being top quality but he isn’t ready (also needs to watch some videos of Marquis to see what work ethic is)
Vilca a bit lightweight but he showed glimpses of being decent
Dahlberg hmmmm decent keeper but always a mistake there and certainly no better than Jones
Galbraith and Smith both been decent with Smith getting better by the game

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on January 05, 2022, 08:26:22 am by David Pearson »
Quality players cost good money...Tommy Rowe and Galbraith are in my opinion the only two quality players in the squad....Tommy Row admitted to taking a pay cut when he signed for the rovers and Galbraith is on loan....

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on January 05, 2022, 08:35:31 am by DonnyOsmond »
Quality players cost good money...Tommy Rowe and Galbraith are in my opinion the only two quality players in the squad....Tommy Row admitted to taking a pay cut when he signed for the rovers and Galbraith is on loan....

Did you think we'd be paying someone the same as what they were earning in the Championship? Of course Rowe took a paycut.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on January 05, 2022, 08:54:22 am by Campsall rover »
From what i remember RW said Louis Reed was not a player he was looking to sign after he played in those friendlies.

David Pearson

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on January 05, 2022, 08:56:08 am by David Pearson »

Did you think we'd be paying someone the same as what they were earning in the Championship? Of course Rowe took a paycut.
Yes we know Tommy Rowe took a payout, I did say that in my previous post.....My point was, the rovers managed to sign Rowe because he was prepared to take a pay cut in which to sign for the rovers.....Given Rowe was willing to take that pay cut, we wouldn't had signed him otherwise....That's my point regarding signing players....are we scrapping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to paying wages ?...

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on January 05, 2022, 09:01:53 am by vaya »

Yes we know Tommy Rowe took a payout, I did say that in my previous post.....My point was, the rovers managed to sign Rowe because he was prepared to take a pay cut in which to sign for the rovers.....Given Rowe was willing to take that pay cut, we wouldn't had signed him otherwise....That's my point regarding signing players....are we scrapping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to paying wages ?...

David, would you say that everyone we've signed has done so because we're paying them less than they were previously, and that's what's motivated them to join us?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on January 05, 2022, 09:20:10 am by roversdude »
From what i remember RW said Louis Reed was not a player he was looking to sign after he played in those friendlies.

From what I recall CR he wasn’t even a first choice trialist but I don’t think RW ever said he was one he wanted.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on January 05, 2022, 09:49:42 am by DonnyOsmond »

What? We're a League One club were not going to pay a 32 year old Championship wages. Of course we're going to give him a pay cut.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on January 05, 2022, 10:58:53 am by Move DRFC »
The rot set in long before Richie Wellens came to the club....The board talked about a rebuild...you can't do any rebuild without proper resources.....No manager can do any rebuild without the proper tools for a rebuild....The fact is football today is all about money and if the manager has been instructed to do a rebuild then he needs a budget to do that rebuild....The calibre of players at the club is down to the budget, what else can it be down to...Blame the manager all you want but who runs the club, who sets the budget and under who's instructions what direction the club goes....Its the board who set the budget, not the manager....The board keep talking about rebuilds, club identity , but where is the action to back up what they say?....Of course when they appointed Mcsheffrey, the board have to try and plan for every scenario but to appoint a inexperienced manager at this point says a lot about what the board are thinking.....You ask about planning for a May play-off play....well it shouldn't had come to planning for relegation should it?.......

Wellens was given the 14th highest budget in League 1. Surely that was enough for a rebuild?
The budget set at the start of this season cannot had been good enough, just look at the calibre of player brought in....And before anyone says, it was Wellens who brought these players in..he could only bring in what the budget allowed...

I'm pretty sure a 14th highest League 1 budget allows for better players than Cukur, Dodoo, Hiwula, and Williams.
How do we know for a fact that it was the 14th highest budget in League One?..
Because GB has said so publicly. Budgets are monitored against other clubs budgets on a regular basis.
So Gavin Baldwin's word is gospel....This is the man who said the rovers aren't in a relegation fight...
So he is a liar.  We have the 24th largest budget in league 1.  We are in 24th place. So are you happy now.
We are where we are supposed to be.

Good grief man you are something else.
I didn't say "we have the 24th highest budget in League One ", you did......Just look at the calibre of player Doncaster Rovers Football Club have brought in.....No manager wants to sign players who don't have a club, if they don't need to.....If any football clubat a professional level should not have to sign players without a club...If these players are without a club then they aren't of a good standard are they?.....No other club wanted these players, but the rovers signed them , maybe a desperate measure...

I believe Louis Reed was without a club when he was with us pre-season aswell, sure Wellens wanted him but something happened & he ended up at Swindon, knew then we were bargain basement shopping.

We offered him £500 a week. Says everything you need to know, laughable.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on January 05, 2022, 12:31:16 pm by roversdude »
Did we ?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on January 05, 2022, 12:41:29 pm by ravenrover »
Love it whem posters spout this figure and that figure with nothing to back it up, be it wages transfer fees in and out and budgets. Get a grip people

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on January 05, 2022, 12:57:33 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Reed was very similar to lots of other players in the squad. Wellens was right not to sign him. Personally i'd rather of had Reed over say Smith who is only on loan but we already had Smith. Wellens wanted to use the money in other areas like up front but we are chronically bad at just getting things over the line

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on January 05, 2022, 01:07:19 pm by Move DRFC »
My mate got friendly with Niall Mason in the summer when he was still in the UK and that’s what Niall told him. They were teammates at Posh. Not sure why he would make it up?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on January 05, 2022, 01:24:33 pm by The Beast »
Now I’m supportive of the board and the current regime, want Rovers to be sustainable, not a fan of throwing money about.
Was talking to an agent friend of mine I used to play with, he told me about Rovers enquiring about a player of his, Rovers offered to contribute to his wages for a loan, they were quite desperate for a player in this position too,  can’t remember the figures but was absolute peanuts what they offered, less than 20% of his wages.

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on January 05, 2022, 01:26:33 pm by scunny rover »
Yeah because mason wouldnt make anything  up
Would he ??
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 01:37:44 pm by scunny rover »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on January 05, 2022, 01:43:43 pm by MachoMadness »
I actually believe you because surely nobody would make up being friendly with a convicted sex offender.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on January 05, 2022, 03:10:35 pm by Move DRFC »
Hahahahaha

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #176 on January 05, 2022, 03:22:46 pm by roversdude »
The same Mason who lied to the club and fans swearing he hadn’t done it and then admitted in court. Long history of truth telling

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on January 05, 2022, 03:44:03 pm by drfchound »
I understand that Mason changed his plea at short notice on the advice of his lawyer who told him that if he pleaded not guilty but was convicted, that he could get a jail sentence.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on January 05, 2022, 07:56:32 pm by Lesonthewest »
You’re right a fit Gardner is much better

Gardner looks unfit when he's passed fit, passed his sell by I'm afraid.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on January 05, 2022, 08:19:21 pm by dickos1 »
Didn’t look past his sell by on Sunday
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:56:40 pm by dickos1 »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012