Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 12:40:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Baldwin - Radio Sheffield  (Read 3677 times)

Fal

• Forum Member
Baldwin - Radio Sheffield
« on January 07, 2022, 07:23:04 pm by Fal »
23 min interview with Gavin, regarding Gary MC, transfers, and injury situation aswell as the tweets from Jon and Niall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bg06cf

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Baldwin - Radio Sheffield
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2022, 07:54:24 pm by Metalmicky »
Pretty good interview TBH...

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 07, 2022, 08:09:44 pm by Canadian Rover »
Said that we could get Downing plus the 3 other players GMC has on his list in the budget provided.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2022, 08:11:19 pm by grayx »
Said that we could get Downing plus the 3 other players GMC has on his list in the budget provided.
Did he know we have a match tomoz?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2022, 08:17:02 pm by Jonathan »
I’ve just listened. I can imagine that those conditioned to do so will yell “Netto FC” regardless, but I thought it was a good, clear, honest interview. Credit too has to go to Rob Staton for a robust line of questioning.

Lots of clubs, and especially those that have suffered, have invisible owners that never communicate. I think you’ve got to credit Baldwin for fronting up in difficult circumstances, he knows the stick he’s getting and that every word will be pulled apart by some, but he’s faced some strong questioning and he’s answered that. Clearly actions are more important than words, but the words do reinforce to me that we have owners that, whilst obviously not getting everything right, do care about the club. The club itself is in safe hands, and that counts for something.

I thought he answered the questions about transfers clearly and with a degree of realism, and it was reassuring to hear that we know there has to be a cut off after which you have to move onto other targets rather than leave ourselves in the situation we were in at the end of the summer window. It does sound like we’re very much going on Gary McSheffrey’s word on targets, and I can understand that, but it’s perhaps a little contradictory of where we said we were changing things after Wellens’ tenure.

Alas, in principle, the interview has addressed a number of my concerns even though I’d still like to get more of a sense that we try to force the issue with regard to clubs releasing the players we want. The next step is to see things happen.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:19:36 pm by Jonathan »

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2022, 08:22:54 pm by Canadian Rover »
I thought it was a good and as honest as can be at this stage interview.

Sounding like they are trusting in GMC to start getting us out this mess with his recruitment.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 07, 2022, 08:26:15 pm by silent majority »
Well summed up Jonathan.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 07, 2022, 08:27:26 pm by ian1980 »
Good interview from Gavin. As open and honest as he probably can be at this moment. Very calm, measured and clear in what he says.

Sounded to me like Downing is a strong possibility without him saying Downing’s a strong possibility. Cards close to chest and all that.

As we know and has been said above, actions speak louder than words so we’ll see what happens over the coming days and weeks

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 07, 2022, 08:40:15 pm by Jonathan »
I expect the usual suspects will also disregard the answer around McSheffrey’s appointment. But to me it made sense, and I honestly think in the long term this will prove to be a very smart managerial appointment.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 07, 2022, 08:44:29 pm by keith79 »
Exciting times.

TixTheBox

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 07, 2022, 08:46:45 pm by TixTheBox »
I am Pro-McSheffrey, the bit about only deciding on the 27th December isn’t true. He had already been told he had the job and the hold up was signing his mentor up (which we couldn’t do due to the terms in his contract with the FA).

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 07, 2022, 08:47:51 pm by since-1969 »
I think Baldwin is just out of his depth when it comes to running a football . Ever since he became involved it’s been about him being a financial manger and working on saving money NOT investing in players careers long term  . He has no idea what type of manager makes a club work . If this was not the case why have the last two appointments been total amateurs without any experience worthy of even getting an interview never mind the job . Imo If we were in L2 McSheffrey he would shine and he could  galvanise the supporters  . But in a relegation fight where the player Acquisitions have been totally inadequate and to a man they have all underperformed it’s obvious that the  experience just was not their before hand particularly with Wellens . An interim experienced manager should have been brought in either as a potential or be a second to McSheffrey. Baldwin is a not upto the task and though I agree he is fronting the clubs interviews but he doesn’t have anything really definite to say and when he does  it’s clouded in “ifs and buts”.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 07, 2022, 09:01:48 pm by roversdude »
Right on cue

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 07, 2022, 09:07:01 pm by Jonathan »
why have the last two appointments been total amateurs without any experience worthy of even getting an interview never mind the job . Imo If we were in L2 McSheffrey he would shine and he could  galvanise the supporters  . But in a relegation fight where the player Acquisitions have been totally inadequate and to a man they have all underperformed it’s obvious that the  experience just was not their before hand particularly with Wellens . An interim experienced manager should have been brought in either as a potential or be a second to McSheffrey.

A week is a long time in football. Last week you wrote this re: the appointment of McSheffrey:

” This has to be a step in the right direction and even if it follows that due an already very poor start to the season the club does get relegated to L2 , Gary McSheffrey will be given time and support to rebuild quickly to get back up again . I’m am surprised that his obvious abilities  and attitude to his job wasn’t recognised earlier .”

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 07, 2022, 09:10:13 pm by since-1969 »
Right on cue
I know I’m waisting my breath , but He’s walking the club back to the Nation Leagues and oblivion. Rip DRFC !!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 07, 2022, 09:11:38 pm by since-1969 »
why have the last two appointments been total amateurs without any experience worthy of even getting an interview never mind the job . Imo If we were in L2 McSheffrey he would shine and he could  galvanise the supporters  . But in a relegation fight where the player Acquisitions have been totally inadequate and to a man they have all underperformed it’s obvious that the  experience just was not their before hand particularly with Wellens . An interim experienced manager should have been brought in either as a potential or be a second to McSheffrey.

A week is a long time in football. Last week you wrote this re: the appointment of McSheffrey:

” This has to be a step in the right direction and even if it follows that due an already very poor start to the season the club does get relegated to L2 , Gary McSheffrey will be given time and support to rebuild quickly to get back up again . I’m am surprised that his obvious abilities  and attitude to his job wasn’t recognised earlier .”
I also say he is not qualified but in L2 will shine but he needs a help now .

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 07, 2022, 09:42:40 pm by BVB »
I think Baldwin is just out of his depth when it comes to running a football . Ever since he became involved it’s been about him being a financial manger and working on saving money NOT investing in players careers long term  . He has no idea what type of manager makes a club work . If this was not the case why have the last two appointments been total amateurs without any experience worthy of even getting an interview never mind the job . Imo If we were in L2 McSheffrey he would shine and he could  galvanise the supporters  . But in a relegation fight where the player Acquisitions have been totally inadequate and to a man they have all underperformed it’s obvious that the  experience just was not their before hand particularly with Wellens . An interim experienced manager should have been brought in either as a potential or be a second to McSheffrey. Baldwin is a not upto the task and though I agree he is fronting the clubs interviews but he doesn’t have anything really definite to say and when he does  it’s clouded in “ifs and buts”.
Think Baldwin is there to make money, not save it.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 07, 2022, 09:59:12 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Always interviews well and it gives hope that a lot of our panic is just emotion talking because rationally you can't argue with anything he says. Getting the plans and rational ideas to actually happen is what it's all about now.

We've had similar interviews before where the problems have been identified with action plans set out but more issues have been added to the pile before any of the old ones have been corrected. Don't think it's on purpose or a lack of ability maybe just bad luck or business never been simple. Eventually we'll get it right again sooner rather than later hopefully. 

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 07, 2022, 10:04:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Maybe if Gavin Baldwin had given those words of reassurance sooner a lot more people would have been a lot more content and the negativity might not have spread so far.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 07, 2022, 10:07:38 pm by BVB »
Maybe if Gavin Baldwin had given those words of reassurance sooner a lot more people would have been a lot more content and the negativity might not have spread so far.
you would have hoped so BB but why be content where there is always an “ah, but…” to fall back on as default.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 07, 2022, 10:20:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BVB, you will always get people who are never content no matter what, but when people like me start to question events there is a serious problem developing.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 07, 2022, 10:25:54 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
BVB, you will always get people who are never content no matter what, but when people like me start to question events there is a serious problem developing.

Agree with this. Same with the manager situation theres a point where normally reasonable people start to turn and thats when somethings wrong.

Always going to be that minority that will never be happy when it's just them chirping on you know the clubs doing something right.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 07, 2022, 10:47:47 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I’m not worried what we all want, I want McSheffrey to have the best chance possible to succeed.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 07, 2022, 10:48:33 pm by DRNaith »

If he shines in League 2, how is he going to get us into non-league oblivion?

I know you contradict yourself often, but that's a very quick turnaround

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 07, 2022, 10:53:57 pm by since-1969 »
Think Baldwin is there to make money, not save it.
Or spend it !!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 07, 2022, 10:56:15 pm by since-1969 »

Baldwin is my point , he over the few seasons has got us into where we are now …and he’s still making the same 5 year plan statements etc .. get shut he’s pointless !!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 07, 2022, 11:14:36 pm by dickos1 »
I am Pro-McSheffrey, the bit about only deciding on the 27th December isn’t true. He had already been told he had the job and the hold up was signing his mentor up (which we couldn’t do due to the terms in his contract with the FA).

Well he did an interview after the 27th categorically denying that he had been told he had the job.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 07, 2022, 11:19:09 pm by dickos1 »

Baldwin is my point , he over the few seasons has got us into where we are now …and he’s still making the same 5 year plan statements etc .. get shut he’s pointless !!

The only people I’ve heard mention any 5 year plans are clowns like you.

One minute you’re saying it’s a great appointment the next minute you’re saying it’s a dreadful appointment.
You’re either not a full shilling or you’re just here to try and wind people up

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 07, 2022, 11:28:02 pm by drfc1951 »
I dont think Baldwin sanctions the signings or agrees the fees or wages paid,that would be the Chairman.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 08, 2022, 01:47:02 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The boards job is to provide the funds for players, it’s the manager’s job to use them wisely and improve as much of his squad as he can.
Our job is not impossible, it has a lot problems at the minute but they can be ironed out. I don’t understand how Baldwin gets the blame for signings. His job is to keep the club Doncaster project running smoothly and bring funds into the club. I have no idea whether he is successful at that or not?. From what I hear that side of things is going well.

The club Doncaster project isn’t a negative as far as I can see, it’s there to put the collective strengths of Doncaster sports teams together making all stronger. It does a lot of good in helping people while also bringing funds to improve the team.
The club will always be judged on how well the first eleven is doing. There’s nothing wrong with that, every club in the land is judged the same.

The board on the whole has always backed the manager as much as they can. Over the last four seasons or so that has seemed to dry up a little. But also managers have not used the funds wisely.
Richie didn’t get enough help in getting the players he needed in. The problem is he didn’t overall ,use the funds he did get very well.

It’s admirable to try and get the club running on an even footing, the problem is you start things like that from a position of strength, which they haven’t and that’s why it hasn’t worked.
They seem as a board to be quiet behind the scenes hard workers, but don’t enjoy the fronting up to fans or press. That’s where we need a football minded front man to deal with all that on their behalf. You need a chairman appointed that fans and press alike can relate to.

The appointing of managers takes far too long, getting players in the same. It needs to be a quicker, cohesive smaller team dealing with these matters. Recently the club hasn’t been shown in its best light, we’ve looked amateurish.
We have a manager now who needs supporting by the board in getting what he needs and by ourselves in not making the pressure any more than it needs to be.

I’m hoping somehow the board realise they’ve made mistakes and go about improving things. They helped to build this thing up. It’s time to alter how things are done. Fan engagement is virtually non existent. The press needs to be used to the club’s advantage, not the other way around. Most of all the club needs a good first eleven on that pitch. A hard working manager, producing a hard working rovers side we can be proud of.

Unfortunately a lot of changes need making this transfer window. The disappointment has come from the fans because most see nothing happening in appointments, players and staff.
We need all these changes for many reasons. Normally in a transfer window, maybe one or two in and out. I would suggest we need around four permanent experienced signing and a couple of youth loans.

With current loanee’s being sent back with the exception of Galbraith and Smith. A couple of players who haven’t worked out maybe go on loan as well as some young players, not ready for first team action.
Then the work begins for the manager into forging a team spirit from those he has.
We have a good chance of staying up, with hard work but groundwork done now to stop the rot and turn the situation around.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012