Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:47:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: GM  (Read 10042 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: GM
« Reply #90 on January 09, 2022, 09:29:52 pm by Jonathan »
I get the sentiment, but there is no way this side even with the 3-4 additions is going to get form anything like that.

We have only competed in parts of a small handful of games this season. We haven’t been unlucky or being robbed, we just haven’t been anywhere near competing. You cannot go from being so far from competitive to then start winning games at this rate.

This is a side that is going down. It is not a side that is going to start embarking on winning runs of 2-3 games. They are done and dusted I am afraid. It is League Two next season.

Don’t agree!
If we get these 4 players in and get the likes of John, Anderson, close, okenabirhie, bostock all back within the next month we will go into feb with a great chance of going on a good run.

I agree in a way but by the time those players return we will likely be too far behind after our run of tough games. These 2 results have killed us.

There is also no guarantees the new signings and returning lads are going to get up to speed immediately.

I don’t think we need to worry how many points we are behind we’ve just got to aim for 50 points,
So if the 4 signings are made and we get players back, and we’re sat on 25 points with 15 games to go then we know we need 25 points from those games regardless of how many points we’re adrift

We will be down to 15 games to go by 12 Feb.

We will be lucky to have any of our injured players back before, at best the last couple of those games.

Given the fixtures we have coming, unless we make 4-5 very, very high quality signings very soon, we are far more likely to hit the 15 games to go mark on 16 points than on 25 points.

It’s a good job you’re the “inveterate optimist”… (I have to confess I had to look that word up when you made that claim as your regular numerical analysis caused me to question my understanding!)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on January 09, 2022, 09:36:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Jonathan

I am an optimist, but I've just seen us go 135 mins against two of the weakest defences in the division without a meaningful attack on goal.

We've averaged 0.67 points per game to date. Dickos is suggesting that with a few additions, we can average 1.3 ppg against a string of promotion contenders.

I'm an optimist, but not to that extent. I'd snap your hand off for 5 points from the next 7 games.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on January 09, 2022, 10:08:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
There is pretty much no scenario where we stay up of our own volition. This is largely a terrible team and the addition of even 4 oven ready excellent players is not going to change that. We’ve competed for about three halves of football all league season. Not going to change sufficiently to keep us up. Not happening.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on January 09, 2022, 10:27:39 pm by danumdon »
I think we missed a massive opportunity after the removal of Wellens. Its been apparent right from the start of the season that the club was struggling, the second half of last season was still in the mindset of many who are still  at the club.

The situation was crying out for some new blood, right from DM leaving we missed the boat in not having a new manager in place straight away, we fumbled on with AB  taking over the reins, no new outlook or fresh start for anyone , just more of the same tried and tested(though not tested to improve)we staggered to the seasons end, with points in the bag from the good early part of the season the only thing that saved us.

Start of this season was completely half baked in its implementation, RW was allowed to construct the start of a new squad but through either poor planning and staff recruitment on his part or unknown barriers and stipulations from the board we ended up with a completely unbalanced squad, lacking in a strong spine and with glaring omissions in key areas, the following injury nightmare just compounded an unstable project.

We then loose our nerve after allowing RW to implement a start to a process which would require at lease three transfer windows to come to fruition, we bite the bullet and get rid.

We have now thrown away a sizeable chunk of budget and are hedging our bets that we can attract a manager who can forment a new and relieving direction on the team for the rest of the season, we have another transfer window to help the situation and we are set, what do we do.?

We hire the under 18 coach as he proves through the comprehensive interview process that he was the best available to us?

It just so happened that he was also the interim caretaker manager and by association has been dragged into the shitfest that is our 20/21 squad. The massive opportunity to get the fresh blood, the outside the box thinking the different attitude to the totally smashed outlook that has been stinking the place out was lost.

We now look at whats available to us in this window, we talk about hopefully bringing 4 new players into the squad, my thinking now is that you could bring in really top level 3 tier players into this maelstrom we have, the dye looks like its set, are we going to get the full benefit of the new additions? the last five matches have produced the same outcomes, we have struggled to see some trace of a different reaction to the management of GM, don't get me wrong whilst he in the hot seat he gets my full support, has he  been chosen to take on the task of saving the clubs 3rd tier membership or is he to implement a recovery from the 4th? the next two to three weeks will give us the answer but the bigger opportunity to rescue our predicament was lost.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 10:31:33 pm by danumdon »

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on January 09, 2022, 11:22:54 pm by Bills view »
Most of the injured players have played at some point during the season and I still saw an ordinary team at best. That's my polite view. I'd agree we are better with them but I have not seen enough to suggest even with one or two seasoned professionals we would be good enough to go on the sort of run we require. We should be more competitive and that may give hope for next season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on January 10, 2022, 05:27:16 am by dickos1 »
There is pretty much no scenario where we stay up of our own volition. This is largely a terrible team and the addition of even 4 oven ready excellent players is not going to change that. We’ve competed for about three halves of football all league season. Not going to change sufficiently to keep us up. Not happening.

Don’t be daft!
We need to improve our form to top half form, not title winning form or even play off form.
If we sign the 4 players mcsheffrey wants then there’s every chance we can turn our form to midtable form

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on January 10, 2022, 09:09:57 am by Campsall rover »

Don’t be daft!
We need to improve our form to top half form, not title winning form or even play off form.
If we sign the 4 players mcsheffrey wants then there’s every chance we can turn our form to midtable form
How flipping good are you expecting these new signings to be. Who do you think we are going to get?

Also the injured players when they come back do you think they will all stay fit when they do.

Taylor has a big problem it would seem, Fej we won’t see this season that looks fairly obvious now, Cameron John if it is a serious back injury then ??? 
Bostock is unlikely to last more than 7/8 games and can’t last 90 mins anyway in a game.
Close hopefully is the one we will see back soon and if it is not too soon as it was at Burton then fingers crossed with him.
Seamen is on way back and Williams is back. Anderson really don’t know how long he is out for. We need him.

That lot does not paint a very pretty picture to me. Now dickos I admire your positivity and let’s face it there are not many more positive than me on this forum.
But come on if you think we have a realistic chance of getting another 32 or more points then I honestly think your taking something very strong.

Yes we keep going till the end of course but a little bit of realism is needed.
We simply do not have enough quality or belief in this squad and based on what we saw on Saturday GM was unable to inspire them to perform to some reasonable level which would give us a chance of getting 3 points against a very poor team.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:14:28 am by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 10, 2022, 10:56:37 am by drfchound »
An earlier poster has said that Dickos has indicated that we can average 1.3 ppg.
I have only seen him suggest that we need 1.3 ppg, not that we can get that many.
It is a tough ask.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on January 10, 2022, 01:03:40 pm by Jonathan »
Four players is over a third of the team. Add a few injured players back and that’s over half the team. If our current better performers (and I accept there aren’t many!) can stay fit then there’s no reason not to think an upturn in performances and results is very much achievable. Will it be enough to keep us up? That’s a tough ask so you could be forgiven for saying probably not. But dickos is right to point out it’s possible, of course it is. We need the new players in, and we need to get behind the team.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on January 10, 2022, 01:21:49 pm by Campsall rover »
Four players is over a third of the team. Add a few injured players back and that’s over half the team. If our current better performers (and I accept there aren’t many!) can stay fit then there’s no reason not to think an upturn in performances and results is very much achievable. Will it be enough to keep us up? That’s a tough ask so you could be forgiven for saying probably not. But dickos is right to point out it’s possible, of course it is. We need the new players in, and we need to get behind the team.
No one saying it is impossible. It is just highly improbable.

I am right behind the team and will be hoping they can pull off the improbable. I am just not expecting it.
The last 2 games were our big chance to give us some serious hope imo.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on January 10, 2022, 01:25:13 pm by CJK »
I think based on what we currently know, we have to rule any impact those injured players could have this term, with the exception of Close. It's encouraging to see Seaman back, providing he hasn't been rushed back he could make a good contribution.

Realistically we need a couple of these four of five targets in this week. This team and squad needs it right now. I've no idea if the whole Marquis thing is a real possibility but it would certainly galvanise the players and the club as a whole. I've always liked Ellis Harrison and it was frustrating to see him sign and score for them on Saturday.

Whatever happens, remember that we can't expect GMc to pull rabbits out of hats. We've a tough group of fixtures coming up now, if we can replicate the first 45 at Morecombe and add some players we've got half a chance.

Historically we're a club that inhabits Div 3 and Div 4, there's no shame in that. The last 15 years has given birth to aspirations of yo-yoing between Div 2 and Div 3. We thought the reset button was pressed in the summer, it may end up being another 12 months beyond that.

If the club learns one thing from the past 12-18 months is that we've got to be more efficient in how we handle transfer business and contracts and ultimately where the responsibility is going to sit.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on January 10, 2022, 01:43:59 pm by Metalmicky »

My only thought is that in order to get 4 players (of any quality) in we would need to offer an attractive package; if that package also includes the possibility of a relegation and subsequent pay drop, can you see players clambering over themselves to sign on the dotted line................. should the pen be found of course.  :unsure:

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on January 10, 2022, 03:19:23 pm by Barmby Rover »
Doncaster Rovers: Gary McSheffrey accuses players of ‘shirking responsibility’ (Yorkshire Post) Trouble in the camp already? It is certainly true!

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on January 10, 2022, 03:21:11 pm by Jersey Rover »
A lot been made of the 4 players agreed  and shortly inbound comment in December but I listened to GM interview after the Fleetwood game and that was down to Two possible and a couple of irons in the fire. Someone’s not being straight with the fans.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on January 10, 2022, 03:32:45 pm by steve@dcfd »
Doncaster Rovers: Gary McSheffrey accuses players of ‘shirking responsibility’ (Yorkshire Post) Trouble in the camp already? It is certainly true!

Come on this nice enthusiastic manager can’t be blaming the players. Is he realising they are not as good as he thought.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on January 10, 2022, 03:37:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
A lot been made of the 4 players agreed  and shortly inbound comment in December but I listened to GM interview after the Fleetwood game and that was down to Two possible and a couple of irons in the fire. Someone’s not being straight with the fans.
Are they backing out already,  have we had to look at different players.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on January 10, 2022, 03:43:50 pm by silent majority »

Nope!

But I wish supporters wouldn't take what managers say as gospel, remember these guys are juggling with lots of balls at the same time and are not necessarily media trained. Some managers will want to play up their actions and others will play down the situation.

Many a time I've had to question what a manager has had to say when I've been told something different and usually its the manager telling it differently to suit another agenda. Darren Moore was absolutely terrible at that.

It's not about being straight or honest, its just a fact of life.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on January 10, 2022, 03:47:41 pm by steve@dcfd »

Nope!

But I wish supporters wouldn't take what managers say as gospel, remember these guys are juggling with lots of balls at the same time and are not necessarily media trained. Some managers will want to play up their actions and others will play down the situation.

Many a time I've had to question what a manager has had to say when I've been told something different and usually its the manager telling it differently to suit another agenda. Darren Moore was absolutely terrible at that.

Surely they must realise the signing of these players is becoming more urgent as every game goes by.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on January 10, 2022, 03:49:28 pm by Metalmicky »

Nope!

Surely they must realise the signing of these players is becoming more urgent as every game goes by.

I'm quite sure that all involved are aware of both the requirement and urgency....

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on January 10, 2022, 04:09:21 pm by jamesrover17 »

Nope!

GMc is very smart I think and is playing his cards close to his chest, he did the same when he said he didn't want the job when really lets be fair, he did.

Moore just used to waffle on I think, he's still abysmal to listen to on Radio Sheffield

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on January 10, 2022, 04:41:43 pm by wilts rover »

Nope!

If you take that together with what he said after Morecambe, he has players lined up but has to wait for them, if he wants players in earlier he will need to choose different ones and was going to asses the injuries before making a decision to do that - it seems he has moved on from those inital targets - or at least two of them. That's all I read into it.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on January 10, 2022, 04:48:40 pm by bpoolrover »
He said today that we could have one of the strongest teams in the division for the last 10 games with a couple of new players and our injuries back, personally I think he is way out with that prediction but time will tell

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on January 10, 2022, 04:56:03 pm by jmt23 »
You should never believe what clubs/managers/players say in the media around transfer dealings, they are always having to play one against the other. As long as we are together in our thinking behind the scenes.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on January 10, 2022, 05:10:41 pm by Jonathan »

Come on this nice enthusiastic manager can’t be blaming the players. Is he realising they are not as good as he thought.

That’s a bit of a low blow, Steve. I listened to the interview and I expect you did too. He was right in what he was saying. I don’t think you really need to keep throwing the “enthusiastic” tag at him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on January 10, 2022, 05:15:06 pm by drfchound »
He said today that we could have one of the strongest teams in the division for the last 10 games with a couple of new players and our injuries back, personally I think he is way out with that prediction but time will tell

Thirty points from the last ten games to keep us up would be the best ever great escape.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on January 10, 2022, 05:27:16 pm by normal rules »

Having a strong team is one thing, getting them to play together as a team and grind out results is another. So much expectation and pressure on any new players that arrive in the coming weeks. I fully expect nothing much to change in Rovers’ fortunes this season. It’s very optimistic to plan for survival, but realistic to be planning for next season.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on January 10, 2022, 06:32:30 pm by Alan Southstand »
30 points wouldn’t be enough!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on January 10, 2022, 07:22:32 pm by drfchound »
30 points wouldn’t be enough!

It might be Alan (from the last ten games) if we could muster another four or five points before then.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on January 10, 2022, 08:10:39 pm by colincramb »

Nope!

SM, given that dealing with the media is a massive part of the job nowadays, I find it astonishing that any manager employed in a permanent role hasn’t done media training. I’m not suggestion that GM hasn’t done this already, but if he’s not before embarking on a management career that’s odd

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on January 10, 2022, 08:16:59 pm by graingrover »
I hang my hopes on a significant ise of significant budget money and agree that would mean bringing back both Downing and  Marquis another tough midfield general and two hot loanee forwards .That needs not just money but some highly passionate talks to all  prospects their agents and clubs to get things done .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012